Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Well, I've been reading this thread for a while now, and it was one of the first games I got when my new computer arrived. I had a lot of stupid, stupid deaths, but I finally had a moment of GLORIOUS TO THE DEATH COMBAT. :black101:

So, I found myself a working motorcycle in a parking lot, and got it filled with gas. I'm driving south down this really long road and pass by a gas station. I was overjoyed, because of the food and gas, but then I looked behind the counter. A Sawn-Off Shotgun, and 25 .00 Rounds. Needless to say, I was stoked. I cram The Chopper's full of food, water and gas, and drive off, sawn-off in hand.

I make it to a river, and got halfway across before I notice a hoard of Giant Mosquitoes. I try to avoid them, but a few ram into me, so I fire my shotgun. I'm not sure if it was the recoil or them hitting me, but the next thing I know I've careened off the side of the bridge and into the river. I manage to make it to shore before drowning, but the hoard was right behind me. What followed was me using every single round on those buggers, and having to resort to my lead pipe before one finally strikes me, hopped up on all my painkillers, down.

I love this game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Can people post their recommended starting builds? I'm having a hard time getting through even the first night with ample supplies.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Thanks a lot, guys. Also, do you guys pick skills, or just have them all start with no points? This game is alot more complex then I first thought, but I love it.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Whenever I see a Jabberwock and I'm not in a car, it's already too late. But man does it feel good to run them over repeatedly.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

So, I got caught up in other games, and I just got the new version. The amount of professions is awesome now, so does anyone have any new builds that are really good for starting out?

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Maybe he's really embarrassed about something?

Anyway, what are some solid builds in this version? Also, breaking town size and spawn rate is crazy fun. Size 16 towns, +50 spawn rate means no shelter at spawn and insta death

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Dapper McJester is the wasteland survivor we should all strive to be.

I just recently got a solid grip on the game, and once I started making sure I had a base, things got easier. I had a really good run last character, but I must have let some food out or something, cause after finally making my first car, I go back to my outpost to find my base totally swarmed by all kinds of ants.

The attempted relocation was a mess of driving over land mines, multiple crashes, a bank heist, and my subsequent death in a giant fireball after I used my spraycan a little too close to a gas station.

Basically, I love this game.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

So, I found what Whales is working on over at github, and I'd really like to see how Cataclysm 2 is coming along, but I don't even know how to begin compiling something. Can someone point me in the right direction, at least?

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

For sure. My favorite building design is the new grocery store. It has a cart corral out front, and an aisle for utility/meds, fruits, boxed goods, fridged items, and a small storage room with a back door. It's infinitely better then the old square store. Also, there are some nice house redesigns, too. I hope the trend continues, because frankly most all the buildings could use a good face lift so everything isn't a square. Hitting zombies off the railing of a 2nd story motel or through the window at the top of an office building never gets old. :allears:

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Any easy way to take care of turrets? I finally fix up an RV with plenty of gas, battery power and water/food for a long, long haul but of course down my one good road is a turret blockade. Should I try to improvise a grenade launcher, or is there an easier way? My attempts of molotoving them got me close enough to almost get killed, so I need a better plan.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Aaaaaand I bungled it all up. Got stun-locked by a shocker brute and his jerk friends. Still, 11 days is my new overall record. Now I'm gonna go for a power-trip character to feel better. Bionic Assassin Comrade Garry.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I don't have a lot of programming experience, but I too feel that Cataclysm has gotten away from what made it so interesting, and I'd love to try and contribute in some fashion.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I'm getting back into this game, and I've been playing around with the Magiclysm mod expansion, which is a lot of fun.

I can't think of any other game that lets me be a traveling wizard, making it across the country in a beat up Hippie Van. I've managed to live for a few days, too!

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I've never hosed around with Magiclysm, how do you like it versus 0.D+ trunk?

I'm not very good at CDDA really, but the flavor and implementation of Magiclysm is great! It seems very useful and not at all OP, so I'd recommend getting the Experimental and trying it out.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Does anyone use the android version, from the app store? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to remap the "open keyboard" button - there's still an issue with the default key "back" shutting down the game if you try to use the keyboard more than once.

I think that's an issue with the latest stable. If you find one of the newest Experimental build .apk files and use that, it should fix that issue. At least, it did for me!

It's honestly incredible that they've got CDDA running well on a phone in the first place.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

If I'm not mistaken the train will also pulp zombies on the tracks, and you're pretty safe to really, really crank up the speed too.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Becoming a weird and powerful cyborg wizard mutant is definitely the most fun way of playing for me, so I really appreciate these tweaks and additions and changes to make all mutation paths interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I found the Sky Island mod to be a great way to get more comfortable with the game, as far as excursions into towns or cities go, and learning the bare minimum you need to keep a character alive and in a good mood. Once I was done with Sky Island I finally managed to have a character live past Summer which was definitely satisfying.