Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Mentioned Project Zomboid in another thread, was told to come check out this game.

Holy poo poo this is awesome.

Though the OP states that Glass Jaw is one of the better perks to take for a beginner, but it seems that my head takes the most damage of all my body parts in a physical fight, and so far having that lower HP there has gotten me killed once. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I'm finally making some progress, getting the hang of things. I went with a Scoundrel with Eskrima training and that gives me enough melee power that I'm not dying when I encounter more than two enemies. This game is loving wicked cool.

Only issue I'm running into is car batteries. Everywhere I look people say that if you take a stack of regular batteries, you can "refill" a car battery with it. So I have a stack of batteries, and I found a truck that has gas, seat, working engine, controls, wheels, no security system, but dead battery. Examine it, select the battery, press f for re(f)ill, and nothing happens. It just exits the examine, opens no menus, and doesn't recharge anything. What am I doing wrong?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Ah, shame. That makes finding a car way harder. But okay, good to know!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Just found a car that was already running, just sitting in a parking lot. Had a few bottles of gas with me, filled it up, and stole the fucker.

Was there an NPC near by I should have looked for, or do some cars just spawn turned on?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yep, they work like guns with a two square range.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Gilok posted:

How the hell do you even play this, I pretty much die instantly to the first zombie I see. If I get a weapon, I die to the second one.

Also the OP was last updated 3 years ago.

Don't fight, run. In the early game you won't win every fight and even basic zombies are a threat. The key to this game is knowing when to pick a fight, and when to run. Also as mentioned, craft basic weapons. If you start in a shelter, you can build cludgels and makeshift crowbars with the materials inside by smashing things with S.

Also traveling at night + night vision perk basically invalidates early game threat once you get the hang of it.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 9, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I always start with the requisite skills to make a knife spear, and use that. Reach Weapons are awesome, and allow you to engage without getting hurt ad-infinitum.

That's only Survival 1. Wouldn't even waste the point on it. Leave the shelter, <e>xamine 15-20 undershrub from the forest, gain Level 1 Survival. Grab a rock while you're out there and you're set.

For reference for newbies in thread, My Day 1, almost every character. I'm far from an expert but I feel like I've got early game down pretty easy.

First off, I almost always take Night Vision, Quick, Light Footed. But you do you. Night Vision is practically mandatory though, I literally don't know how you'd play without it.

Talk to NPC, get quest.

Exit shelter, beeline for forest.

<e>xamine underbrush until Level 1 Survival. Grab rock.

Check the basement for supplies; clothing and backpack most important.

Return to shelter, smash a window, bench, and cabinets until a pipe.

Craft knife spear, makeshift crowbar, makeshift sling, chestwrap, handwraps, turban. Skip whatever I was able to find in the basement.

If there's time before nightfall, craft digging stick, dig holes until Level 1 construction or nightfall.

At night, raid nearest town. You can pretty much kill anything basic with the spear without taking damage even with zero skill. Priority on finishing NPC quest, drinks, and medicine.

And then do whatever your heart desires. I typically find a house in a nice town with loot, board it up, and use it as a home base.

e: vv oh hey even better and easier. Did not know that. Guess replace the examine underbrush with that!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 10, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

You can level mechanics by prying open doors with a makeshift crowbar. Prying doors has zero chance of breaking them, unlike windows, so you can just sit there and <a>ctivate -> door -> <c>lose -> door until Mechanics 2. :v:

Unless you're playing some gimmick like archer-only, or for roleplay, I can't think of a single reason to spend points on a skill.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've literally never seen that happen even with 0 driving skill.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Uh, okay. I've been playing on the latest experimentals for almost two months now and literally never seen that happen once. :shrug:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That must be it. I'm still at a point where I've yet to find a welder in any game, and I've literally never had any issue driving in un-modified cars.

Unrelated question: are there any better reach attack weapons than the steel/knife spear? The wiki doesn't seem to have much info.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That's perfect! Thanks.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Whoever mentioned taking the dancer class and then another two points in dodge, loving amazing. Did that, so four starting dodge, plus Self-Defense Classes (Ninjutsu), Light Step, Night Vision. I can silently infiltrate virtually anything, and even when I do get into a fight, I make no sound, and nail knuckles pretty much chews up low level zombies that have a near zero chance of hitting me.

This is incredibly fun.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

EMP grenades are by far the best way. One shot, from distance. Disables them, so you can pick them up, fill them with ammo, and place them back down; they recognize you as friendly and will mow down the dead.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Over a month ago I started having that issue to the point that I was having to literally light them 30-40 times before they'd stay lit for longer than that same turn.

And then throwing it immediately put it out.

I just honestly don't bother at this point.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Being able to use water from a container to wash clothes would be really nice. Like, say, water on a bath tub tile. I don't mind the Filthy mechanic much other than that.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I picked up this game last week and have thoroughly enjoyed being zapped to death by shocker brutes.

How do I deal with shocker brutes, regular brutes, and hordes of various monsters?

Also digging pits takes forever.

And almost every car has a faulty engine. My current solution to that is just cheat wish for the needed part for repairs, as engines cannot be disassembled for spare parts.

The go-to way to handle shocker brutes is either A) don't, avoid them, or B) shotguns. Even with no skill in shotguns, two shells will pretty much drop them.

As for the faulty engine, most cars will still start. It just takes multiple attempts to start them. My usual way to fix that issue is just find vehicles with multiple engines. Stuff like tanks have four engines; I've never seen one that didn't have at least one of those be fully functioning and green.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I would love a true "New York City" style thing. No wilderness except a small strip in the middle. Rest is 100% nothing but roads and buildings.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

My current character is doing pretty well. I've holed up in a double garage by a gas station and stockpiled a bunch of tools and materials I've scavenged from nearby with a shopping cart and boarded up all the windows. I want to try my hand at getting a vehicle or maybe just building a bike but my mechanics is pretty low and I have to eat all my food raw since I haven't found any head pads, nor have I found a hacksaw to start cutting up cars.

I'm a bit at a loss where to go from here. I could try and go on a long expedition but that seems risky when I have a large city right here with a bunch of houses. Is there a skill I should train so I can craft my own heat pad or mess kit?

Mess Kits and Hotplates can be built with electronics, but you need the appropriate books for it. Much easier in your situation to smash furniture, throw the wood outside, and light it on fire to cook.

As for vehicles, yeah, you need to either find a book and study or a hacksaw and just start ripping parts off of cars. Wrench/jack/welder will be needed if you try to build your own from scratch, too.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Also are fursuits and gimpsuits are still a thing?

IIRC the fursuits were moved over to the "strange wasteland" or... the gently caress ever it's called mod. Gimpsuits are baseline and there's even a class that starts with it (lost submissive).

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Oh, alright. Someone earlier in this thread said it was moved to that mod, so I dunno then. :shrug: I've personally never seen one, but have found bunches of gimp suits in random homes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Also, have they changed the armor layering system? I vaguely remember encumbrance changing depending on the layer on which the armor was equipped but now I can seemingly wear a backpack under my t-shirt and nothing's changing (unless I'm blind).

This seems like it was broken, yes. Layering doesn't appear to affect anything, other than having multiple things on the same layer (two gloves, two backpacks, etc).

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

With bank vaults you can also just jackhammer open everything, including the safes.

Jackhammering safes has a chance to damage anything fragile in them, but not always. Last bank I did had a power armor outside the safes, and in the safes was a heavy power armor (undamaged) and two mutagen (one shattered, one not) from doing so.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I typically reinforce with leather, yeah.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Well yeah, it definitely depends on your melee skill.

As long as you stay at +2 with a +2 hit weapon (so five melee skill <40 encumbrance), I don't typically have problems hitting anything other than the occasional zombie child, who can't penetrate my armor so even if it takes 5-6 rounds to hit them I don't really care.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

On that note, is there a mod or tweak out there that lets skill decay happen at a much slower rate? I never use it because it's annoying, but if it happened over a much longer period of time, I'd be more inclined to do it.

Or at least having skills that make sense to degrade.

Sure, 9 Electronics? The average person is not going to remember all of that stuff, and would need refreshers from a textbook rather often.

But shooting skills? It's not like I'm going to forget how to shoot a gun during the apocalypse.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I think you and I are basically in the same mindset with it. There's just some skills that make no sense to rust, while others -- after a certain level -- would easily be forgotten after some time not using them.

That's basically identical to the Dwarf Fortress system. If you don't use a skill, you don't lose levels, but it does get rusty and the next time you make something it's lower quality and takes longer, but after 2-3 crafts it's back to normal.

You could even tie it into intellect. Higher intelligence, skills rust slower, and knocking rust off is faster because your character is just more naturally adept at not forgetting things.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, jumper cables basically work like they do in real life. You attach one end to a dead battery, and one end to a car with a working battery that is turned on, which will charge the dead battery.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That's more or less why I play with skill rust disabled. It does make sense that after like two weeks my absolute best in that skill has degraded slightly, but when it drops a level and "oops, I forgot how to craft a whole bunch of poo poo!" happens, that's really stupid and is way to big of a punishment for something so minor.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Sure, becoming omnipotent and an expert in every weapon and crafting skill is a bit unrealistic, but at the same time it's a single player game and it would be super stupid if I had to choose between being a tailor or being able to build a base/car. Cataclysm has made a lot of really dumb, unfun changes in the name of "realism" and I don't want to see that continue. The change to engines is really, really stupid.

But yes, skill grinds really need to be re-evaluated. They are rather silly. The only thing I ever put points into is Dodge because that's the only thing that's relatively difficult to level up (and will kill you if unlucky). Everything else is just a pointless, way too simple grind until rank 2-3.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I assume this is a change related to the engine overhaul, so maybe someone can explain wtf is going on to me.

I nabbed a security van, but the engine was fairly damaged. I replaced it with a 6.2L Traction Engine I took out of a self-propelled howitzer. Everything was fine.

Now I've driven it back to my home base and upon inspecting it, the engine is gray and "destroyed". I can't turn it on or off, and it doesn't consume any diesel, but... I can still sit at the controls and drive with no issues.

Am I missing something? Did something change in regards to this?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Fayk posted:

I know I can do stuff like constantly drop any makeshift slings/etc I make, but is my approach wrong, or should I not worry about minor encumbrance, or what?

The amount of encumbrance you can deal with on your torso while fighting melee depends on melee skill. The higher your melee skill, the better your base chance to hit anyway.

That said, makeshift slings are absurdly high on encumbrance, so yeah, in early games when I have zero melee skill I often will drop the bag, fight off whatever is attacking, then re-equip it and pick up all the dropped poo poo. The "advanced" inventory menu ( / ) makes this much easier.

But yeah, as mentioned, you don't really need a lot of storage volume anyway. A shopping cart or even wheelbarrow will completely invalidate your carrying capacity because it carries so god drat much on it's own. Then, following that, a vehicle that's built properly will have more storage space than you could ever possibly fill, and with a welder is infinitely expandable.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yep, grocery stores nearly always have shopping carts. If not, you can usually raid a hardware store for a wheelbarrow too. Not as good, but way, way better than nothing.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Using a security van in my current game. But yeah RVs are way too big, especially in the current "two engines don't work" builds.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

So I'm playing a character where I've finally made it far enough that I can easily produce ammunition, so I'm using guns as my primary weapon rather than just an "oh poo poo" back up. But I have no idea how the hell these stats work.

I get that dispersion is the amount the bullet will stray from firing, and lower is better. But what is "sight dispersion", then? Currently using an AR-15, which has a sight dispersion of 180 with no mods. But I can craft a laser sight that has a 360 sight dispersion which is... way higher. Does sight dispersion work the other way around, higher is better? Or am I misunderstanding something? Because why would I ever want to use that, and why does a laser sight make my accuracy worse?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Then is there any point at all in using laser sights? Because if that's the case it would do literally nothing; the base sight dispersion is 180 on the AR-15.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Oh, the description does say that. :downs: Right then. I was just looking at the stats!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've never seen a generator in game, but yes, for some reason they are considered vehicle parts and have to be attached to a vehicle and you'd need a recharging station in the vehicle and mod on your welder.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Were they starting traits, or mutations? If mutations you can Purifier them, but if you started with them the only way is getting a lucky mutation that overwrites it, which is difficult. Most of the time it will just make that trait more severe.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

First time playing a solely melee (other than grenades) character. Got lucky and found almost every 10 Fabrication book in the first bookstore (except the Samurai one, sadly), so I can make virtually any weapon. What are your favorite melee weapons?

Currently throwing around a fuckhuge Zewihander which is hilarious, but wanted other opinions. What other weapons are decent?