Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I cannot survive for more than three days, I always end up biting off more than I can chew doing something very mundane like looking through houses for some books.

Literally every newbie guide I've found has said to make Knife Spears which I heard were pretty nerfed, is there any better strategies to not dying other than playing super ultra safe? My knowledge of general game strategy starts to fall off after I get access to Wooden Spears and the plank armor for arms/legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Angry Diplomat posted:

C:DDA is a stunningly bad choice for a gritty innawoods survival simulator and every single design decision that actively slows down the rate at which players get to interact with the content is, has been, and will continue to be an objectively bad one. Neo Scavenger already exists, and is more fun as a Filthy Desperate Hobo Sim than C:DDA will ever be. There, I said it :colbert:

I bought Neo Scavenger based on this post and also because it's three dollars in the summer sale, god bless

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Break the NeoScavenger economy by brewing and selling tea.

I feel like I've got a good handle on the early game with the exception of the part where you really need fire to cook food or and boil water, but the only reliable way to do this is Trapping which is an expensive skill. I just survived 2.5 days and scavenged a ton of buildings with the Strength bonus and didn't find a single lighter or fire source and then died of dehydration

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Yeah crafting seems like something where you're supposed to either have a Wiki page open or just have a notepad. My last run I seemed to do well but got stuck in a loop of walking to a river to fill up all my water bottles, going back to boil them in my campsite, then being thirsty again

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I downloaded 0.D-1520-someshit months ago and I'll be honest, I am worried about updating

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

So I'm still a moron and basically just become suicidal after I get Survival/Fabrication high enough to build the spear and start running toward the nearest houses/mansion. What's the next sort of progression upgrades I should be looking to invest in, be it gear or food sustainability or whatever?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Should I play worlds with NPC's enabled? I know "should" is a weird phrase to use, but does it make the game more interesting?

e: I guess on that note, what are some good mods to enable?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

BlondRobin posted:

IMO most of the NPC content is neat but extremely shallow for want of further development. Having an NPC buddy is an awkward proposition in a game where you want to relocate and move constantly, and AI is really dumb about fighting moving battles and kind of always has been. Meanwhile base building when I tried it was largely nonfunctional and involved my morons sitting around while I went and logged trees until I got a farm where I could give the NPC a bunch of seeds, and then they threw them on the ground and did nothing after saying they were going to plant them. I gave up on the base after that.

So I don't know if this is just like, a total coincidence, but I just enabled NPCs and the first town I roll into is filled to the brim with turrets that are drawing tons of attention and giving me a lot of freedom to actually loot poo poo in town. In all my playtime I don't think I've ever seen a functional turret before now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Peachfart posted:

There are a shitton of roadblocks(that come with random turrets) now that spawn all around, but at least they removed random minefields in the middle of nowhere. Now minefields are marked better and only spawn near/on roads.

When you say "now," I'm still running a version from early April and haven't been too keen on upgrading after all the negative discussion around batteries and food and stuff, how long ago was this the case?

e: also, I'm on probably my "best" run right now, which is sort of pathetic because that basically means I haven't gotten bored and sprinted into my death. I've got a nail bat as a weapon but no armor, but my big find is an acetylene torch. What's the best method of converting this into more substantial metalworking, since I know a ton of the tools you need to make a forge also require you to have access to tools...you can only make by forging (unless you just happen to find them). There's also a garage nearby, so are there any really good vehicle tutorials aside from the wiki?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 1, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Holy hell, I found a prison full of robots that I knew I was no challenge for, but nearby was a Zombie Bio-Operator, so I had the great idea to lure him to the robots. He managed to scrap four Riot Bots and two of the robots with 9mm guns on them before catching back up to me and killing me

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I had a lot of problems with this game for a while but now I have become incredibly powerful and knowledgeable. However, I was playing the game on an experimental released in 2018 and after grabbing the newest version, uh, wow is it different

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

The island prison break start is my new hardmode. The key is to get out of the locked office area, avoid the hulks and brutes (of which there are like 2-6) and climb up the drain pipe to the roof.

From there you have to act fast since the zombies will still see you and try to follow you along at ground floor, which is an issue when the hulks start ripping the walls down to get you.

I use the same start for the bonus stat points so I can make my meme builds but I'm not sure I would quantify it as "hard," it's more "reload if you get shoulder charged by a brute". I just smash the coat hanger for a plank, strip naked, break the door down and kill any Z9s that come as a result, peek out the door and beeline to the water.

The experimental branch is wild though, the loot frequency is so stupid high. Every house has a weeks worth of food in it. I found a four-house town that has both Under the Hood and Intro to Biodiesel so day one I'm ready to build the mobile home (again)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Motherfucker posted:

Criticize them anywhere they have power and they spazz the gently caress out, talking normally doesn't work, 'they're human beings' isn't a good catch cry... like I said, not good ones.

video game psycho, makin' a real mean statement on the internet about someone bein' a dingus. Scaring everyone with his fuckin' mean words.

This is a fun Kauffman-esque bit but you're gonna have to be more subtle otherwise everyones just gonna put you on ignore and you won't be able to post any more epic prank vids

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Does simplified nutrition make the hunger system make sense again? I played for like six months on whatever version got posted in the sseth video two years ago and now I feel like the hunger meter doesn't communicate anything to me at all

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I kind of hate how leveling skills through use is also now basically impossible. I really dig all the new buildings and the high loot frequency, but there's a ton of changes that just make things way less fun, even for me who thinks difficulty is fun

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Worth noting that there's an option for roaming spawns, meant to simulate a roaming horde across the map that is attracted to noise and will slowly hunt you down, but is totally broken and instead behaves like an invisible teleporter that will beam zombies into your house through walls and floors

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I know the encumbrance is a little high but if you can get a hold of a reasonable car or even just a really solid crossbow, you can slaughter some ants for Chitin armor which is insanely good for any low-moderate tier enemy. Unless it got mega nerfed, I was able to 1v1 a colony of wasps with Chitin armor, a crossbow, and a sword

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Man the prison escape start is WAY harder now that it's surrounded with sharks huh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Some of the changes feel very Tarkov-esque, in that the head dev has never actually played the game and so any potential change has to climb this massive wall of his idea of what the game "should" be like. Like, the hunger changes theoretically make sense but in practice make it so that the hunger meter is completely useless

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Tin Tim posted:

Right, I'm currently in maintenance mode after spending three days on the steel mill and being disapointed by the meager finds. I'm currently organizing my crap, disassembling stuff and training skills. I could use some info about batteries. Or rather how I go about recharging them properly? I have a car and enough gas to easily recharge the car batteries I have collected but I'm not sure how I can fill the various forms of smaller batteries I have. I mean I found a hand-crank charger but I assume that will also take a long time. I guess I'm looking for a crash-course about electricity and the related topics if anyone is feeling like teaching me :v:

So for the reasons you have identified, batteries are now incredibly annoying to manage. So, there's two real options to solve any battery issues. The first one is to circumvent batteries altogether and just go straight to wired electricity. Honestly, there aren't tooooo many items in the game that use batteries, so a lot of that functionality you can replace with things you can hook into your car. Replace flashlights with lights in your car, that sort of thing. The motor will work but you'll need a few solar panels to maintain the upkeep of all the things you might plug in, especially once your vehicle is maxed out. Also keep in mind that a "vehicle" doesn't have to be a car - if you attach a couple frames together, electricity will automatically flow between them, allowing you to build homes with electricity flowing through them, so long as you have a battery installed somewhere. Place a solar panel outside and you're good.

The second is to convert objects to UPS, which is basically the rechargeable battery system of Cataclysm for non-vehicles. You need a UPS charger in your vehicle, but that will allow you to recharge any object that has a UPS installed. With the higher loot frequency, it's not super difficult to get ahold of these, and it's really useful for things like battery-powered jackhammers or the endgame equipment that require power, like armored suits or lasers. UPS-powered jackhammers are really common in the big hardware stores which you can then pry out of them and re-purpose, and the charging stations are really frequent in military cars and electronics stores.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Oh my god, Policebots are NUTS now. I remember them just being tanks that at some point would completely lose the ability to fight back, but I've been luring this one around my town and it's slaughtered a few SWAT zombies, a Kevlar Zombie, and now it's beating the poo poo out of an Owlbear all without getting a scratch on it. I'm trying to find a car I can eventually use to end this thing's life once I run out of enemies to throw at it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What am I looking for.

Ah, the age-old question

The funny thing is that whenever I ask myself this, the answer that lingers in the back of my head is "if you don't go out looking for poo poo you won't die" because I almost always die because I go off to do stupid poo poo in search for just one more to finish whatever project I'm at. I think Mechanics is a great quest to go on since a mobile home is the real thing that shifts you into a long-term plan

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed?

Now there's loot EVERYWHERE, you can't start with 20 Dex anymore, but you can also crouch

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Leal posted:

Found a survivor who has both bad temper and mood swings :ohdear:

AND 3 STRENGTH. Jesus why do I find all this limp armed survivors?

I don't think I've literally ever seen an NPC out in the wild who wasn't some sort of bandit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I didn't really use this strategy a ton but this basically makes the prison island start totally obsolete

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

New game, first night and I've got two arc welders, two acetylene torches, and five welding tanks. I hate the playthroughs were you're limited by needing to find books instead of actual equipment but I'll take it I guess.

Bad news is I can hear a voice coming from a nearby building

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Weird bug I'm noticing in latest experimental where some items are in the negative quantity and you can't pick them up or put them down if they somehow get into your inventory. Attempting to remove these eggs from the fridge also adds -1 to the value each time I try. Wondering if this is how I hatch 40000 chickens

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Man, I gotta say, for my first time experimenting with melee weapon training, these skills are crazy. I used Niten and a 2xsword and managed to get my way out of a 15-zombie horde, even without being able to use any massive movement strategies (I was stuck inside a car with a malfunctioning engine I tried forever to hotwire). Got out with an injured leg and a bite but I was able to easily heal. I immediately killed myself because I had actually save scummed the fight after trying to flee once unsuccessfully, I just wanted to see if it was possible to have lived.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm reminded of people advising looting a house and then setting it on fire. The house on fire would start collapsing, which makes huge amounts of noise and draws in zombies. This means you could go in a different direction and be relatively safe.

Yeah I used this strategy in my last run to kill off a Migo that was hanging around my town. Yelled to lure it in, lost it through a bunch of corners and doors, set the house on fire

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Honestly there's an almost impossible level of math involved in the payoff vs penalty numbers to the point where most people just have a memorized set of what armor seems good. Most people go for a leather armor kit early on and then transition to a Survivor suit, but honestly as long as you're not battling an acid enemy, Chitin armor rules. I took a sword, a full set of chitin armor, and a crossbow into a bee's nest and managed to clear the whole thing out.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

The big secret for this game and living more than two days is to not play multi-pool stat points and to go to single-pool so you can funnel all your points into stats. Here's my lovely Game Player Approved build:

Crashed Helicopter Start for +5 stat points

STATS:
12 STR
14 DEX
10 INT
12 PER

Maxed out DEX for accuracy but most importantly Crit chance and skill activation. Goes great with the cudgel AKA the best early-game weapon that has three skills. A wood axe crit will instakill a zombie, and that's a relatively common early-game find. 12 STR for damage and carrying heavy items. 12 Perception for aiming guns accurately, which can be really really important against the high-end enemies that you absolutely need to stop in their tracks with a successful gunshot or two. Ammo/guns are much more common now so it's worth it. 10 INT because w/e.

POSITIVE TRAITS:
Night Vision - absolutely necessary, lets you see farther in the dark, which is when you should be doing your looting runs for safety
Indefatigable - 25% more stamina, which is important because if you ever run out of stamina and an enemy can see you, you're dead. PRESS " TO RUN.

NEGATIVE TRAITS:
Addictive Personality: Just don't do drugs
Far-Sighted AND Near-Sighted - Four stat points in exchange for making you rely on a pair of bifocals. I've had them break on me one time ever in all my time playing, normal zombies almost never go for the head.
Glass-Jaw - Lower head health. Like I said, zombies almost never go for the head. Helicopter crash start gives you a free helmet to totally negate this.
Heavy Sleeper - free points basically, makes you less likely to wake up for sound/light, but you'll still wake up if a window breaks in your base.
Lactose Intolerant - Milk goes bad so this only matters for like an in-game week before all milk/cheese/yogurt is rendered inedible anyways.
Pyromanic - Makes you sad if you don't light a fire, but makes you happy if you do light a fire. In conclusion, light a fire.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Bows are nerfed but what about crossbows? I jumped from a 2018 build to most recent experimental

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

drat, my last big playthrough crossbows were owning even giant hornets

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

A thing I'd really like is some sort of reason to build an actual house instead of the objectively correct strategy of making a Death RV. Farming isn't worth it when every house has several days or even weeks worth of food to the point where even a nighttime grocery store raid is barely worth the hassle. Even if you did farm you could technically just plant and then leave. The game's got such a high number of construction options that you would just never use.

I'd love some sort of horde summoning mechanic that worked like the special Base Defense mode. You cut up some zombies and you craft zombie pheremones which can summon a horde, and there are some loot-based zombies that you can only find this way or something.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

Heh, that was an interface question, actually. What sequence of keys do I have to press to make a vehicle from raw materials?

If you have a frame nearby, you can use * to bring up the construction menu and convert the frame into a vehicle frame, which you can then interact with as though it were a full car, and it's also through that frame that you weld on additional frames to build out the rest of it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Security bots have been buffed as gently caress so if you really wanna deal with a massive horde, break some store windows and summon an eyebot and just let the bot wreck shot. I let one fight a kevlar zombie and at least 30 other zombies and it was completely undamaged

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Tin Tim posted:

I assume this is for experimental? Because in my stable game I have seen several eyebots flee from zombies or do absolutely nothing while the zombies either miss their swings or do no damage. Not once did any of them summon a bot. They only did so when they spotted me :argh:

Im on experimental but usually I just kill the eyebot myself so a secubot Kool-Aid-Mans into the town I'm looting. Banks are pretty much a 100% eyebot spawn chance if you knock out a window

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

It's kind of annoying that so much of the New Player Experience information out there is now completely outdated. Another big newbie trap is that at one point, Prison Island was one of if not the best start because it gave you a ton of points and was also very easy, but they have since filled the area surrounding prison island with sharks and it is now close to impossible

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is why Bright Nights will always be the best version

With the main line you always have to worry about Kevin and his clique hearing you're having fun and the fun thing being removed/nerfed

Yeah I JUST started a game of Bright Nights yesterday and I like how similar it is to the version I learned the game on. I tried to play like a half-year ago after all the pockets and nutrition changes and I was like gently caress this this sucks. But, it's still got some of the really nice changes they've done since then. Houses used to have almost nothing in them and now you can go inside and find a fair amount of food and tools, and it's a mega upgrade from looking at your starting location and doing a reset if you don't see a supermarket or a river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

I think there's also the issue that most roguelikes have different characters and builds to mess with, so dying is an opportunity to try something new. In Cataclysm, there's I guess technically different builds, but they all play exactly the same. Yeah you could go max STR and use a hammer or max DEX/PER and use guns but outside of how you kill zombies, your moment-to-moment gameplay is all going to be exactly the same. You're always gonna be looking for the same set of tools and checking the map for the same sorts of buildings, leveling the same skills to make the same armor and weapons