Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mr. Lobe posted:

read it and weep

personally I don't mind the addition but if you were used to being able to do just about anything in a week with optimal play I could see it harshing the enjoyment

Lord above. This is what happens when you believe tedium is challenge and waiting is gameplay. That is he most boring poo poo I've ever seen. There was really some sad nerd out there who believed that cool improvised wasteland armor was bad and eight different kinds of sewing practice were good.

More skills should mean more things to do, not that things that already exist should require more skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There's something weird going on with a tall office tower in my game. On one of the floors there's a square area generating about 600 smash sounds per tick and it's actually slowing my game down.

Is there any way to see a log or something that might show what's going on?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Huh. Turns out it's a bugged vehicle. A swivel chair is colliding with the floor for eternity.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a bug with single tile vehicles being pushed by zombies, the only way I've found to fix it is debug teleport to it and destroy the vehicle completely.

I would if I could. Interacting with these vehicles (I've found a few now) is mercilessly slow and I'm not sure how long it would need to sit and work to remove that last piece. Or I guess c4 it, but for some reason they are crazy resistant to damage.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So what's up with the new electric grid system? Well, new since I last played much. It says it doesn't work right now but how is it intended to be used once it's up and going?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

By the way if anyone was curious about my bugged swivel chair problem, it turns out when a stronger zombie hits a single tile vehicle (chair, shopping cart, luggage cart, etc) it sets the falling flag to true and its vertical velocity to 500. It "falls" from ground height to ground height forever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there really no way to use, activate, or eat liquids from vehicle tanks directly? With the exception of water with a kitchen unit or water faucet I mean.

My 60l cattail jelly dispenser idea doesn't seem to be working the way I thought it would. Also my future plans for the goon tank involved 200l of energy cola on the roof above the driver seat, obviously.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Okay this is bothering me enough to do something about it. How do I learn to do this modding thing. It should be easy enough to change I would assume.

Like in my head it works. My bed is the hospital - I have a bunch of bandages there and I imagined having a giant tank of disinfectant there would be convenient. Like the hand pump sanitizer things they have on hospital walls, just hooked to a big fuckoff cistern so it practically never runs out.

Also, a 200l megatank of dew riding on the roof with a camelbak style drink tube down in the cab. A floor trunk full of tortilla chips instead of a passenger seat.

I can make this happen I bet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Looking through the code, directly drinking is out of the question if the liquid is not water.

But vehicle tanks are supposed to serve as "fuel" sources for other liquids. Like you are supposed to be able to reload a refillable lighter if you are on a vehicle tile with a gas tank in it for instance. 'A'ctivating should give access to disinfectant in a tank, so I'm wondering why it's not working.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I am not a big fan of the late game zombie evolutions.

Like skeletal juggernauts and kevlar hulks either need to be harder or easier - right now they're just kind of annoying. Eventually you get to where you can mow down every type of zombie as long as you don't get too surrounded, but then here comes one of them. All that means is that you have to retreat to the nearest .50 cal and shoot them in the face. Or run into them with any heavy duty vehicle. It's an annoyance rather than a challenge. Unless you have hydraulic muscles and some post-threshold mutations, that is.

It would be kind of interesting if they were harder to kill. Like one of them shows up and uh oh that area is now off limits except maybe some stealth runs. Maybe if you had a mininuke you could clear them out if the area was important enough.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I can't figure out how a bike carrier works, even going through the code for it. Like I can use it fine, but what is actually happening behind the scenes? Are the two vehicles considered one vehicle while it is attached? Is it just push/pulling the smaller vehicle? Is power shared?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Let's say you accepted a mission from a NPC really early in a game. It's much later now and you've traveled very, very far. You have no idea where that NPC is anymore.

How does one find them with the intention of clearing this quest log?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well huh. Two NPCs disappeared from the game. Not just from their location, they are no longer in the save file. Oh well. Still, it would be nice if the game every now and then checked to see if the target/giver exist in the world.

I'm playing Bright Nights and keep reading about the nested container system in the main branch; is that coming to BN any time soon?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Roobanguy posted:

There was a mod way back in the day that made backpacks have their own inventory that you interacted with by using the advanced inventory system. It was a million times more easy to use than these pocket rules.

That's the only part I really want. Just to be able to put things specifically in a duffel bag and be able to drop it and pick it back up without 3/4 of my inventory randomly chosen to shoot out onto the ground.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think it's just a goal in itself.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lately I've gotten pretty bored with the game, but for some reason taking the wayfarer trait got me back in. Don't get me wrong, the deathmobiles are probably the best part of the game. But having to hoof it everywhere changes the dynamic completely. Suddenly there's a reason to build bases and prioritize what you loot.

If I were a normal person I'd just do all the challenge starts but I am not good enough at the game to complete any of them. So wayfarer is my challenge start I guess.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can you tame the noble gracken and put it in a pet carrier?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The pet carrier will fit a horse, cow, or combat mech so I think it is up to the task.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks I forgot about that staple!

How does one go about making/using vehicle turrets? This run I've actually built my first vehicle from scratch and I wanna gently caress around with a turret on it. I've gathered a turret mount which I assume is the first step but I have no idea how I actually shoot the gun on it after it is bolted to the roof of my vehicle

You can ^ when you're driving it to fire the turrets manually. Or if you're not driving it, examine the controls and you can fire them from there.

If you want them to autonomously shoot things you also need to install a turret control unit on each turret.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Nice, that's easier than expected. Right now I got like one and a half belts of 308. kicking around so I might use that to just steamroll the bandit camp I've discovered in my area.

More questions on the details of vehicles. Is armor plating really required if you're already using heavy frames/panels? I guess steel plating is okay since it shouldn't add much weight but I'm not so sure about composite armor. And is the V12 engine a good idea outside of battle bus sized vehicles? I found a fresh one but I don't think my custom heavy jeep actually benefits from it in a meaningful way

e: I guess another part to this is that I don't really have a feeling for the weight of cars and the relevant mechanics around it. I mean I'm happily stuffing multiple engines and storage batteries into my storage slots and don't really notice any effect on my vehicle

More armor is always good. It adds weight of course, but you shouldn't need to worry about that until your vehicle is the size of a house. Making a vehicle heavier affects the top speed (which doesn't matter because you probably won't be going 100 anyway), the mileage (which doesn't matter because gas is plentiful), and the strain on the engine (which doesn't matter because you should have a welding rig ready to repair it anyway).

Also go with the most powerful engine you can find for the same reasons.

I like to either make a single-tile power recliner with superbike speed or a thirty-foot-wide mobile fortress.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder what this project would be today if Kevin never appeared on the scene

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always end up disappointed with melee in general because late game zombies are about 90% kevlar hulks and skeletal juggernauts. They can be handled of course, but not without some specialization.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd make a few more tiers of enemies and a much bigger variety.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah, but that does require those two cbms

Also a regular old iron shod quarterstaff with hydraulic muscles, muscle augmentation, and strength-based mutations can gib them

And after all that it's still easier to pull out a modified browning and shoot them in the face a couple times

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A quantum solar array with a stereo system, horn, and security system going off

Cable charger system, cqb, mono blade, all strength/dex augs

An activated harmonica holder

Hold tab until city is empty

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

megane posted:

I assume some dev thought for a few moments about killing zombies with a bow, went "anh, that's silly" and so bows are pointless trash forever and any suggestion to improve them is shot down as "unrealistic."

This is why Bright Nights will always be the best version

With the main line you always have to worry about Kevin and his clique hearing you're having fun and the fun thing being removed/nerfed

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If you turn off zombie evolution, can the end-game variants still be found anywhere?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Rynoto posted:

Yes. You'll see a scattering of high-ends out in the world with a higher concentration in end-game locations. If you do it you should really either increase armour or spawn density massively to have any sort of challenge at end-game. 50x spawn when entering a lab for the first time is a fun experience.

Yeah, I'll try a super spawn rate game to see how that goes. The end game zombies are just so boring at this point.

I wish there was a big, polished mod that added a bunch of zombie types and evolution trees. I think Dinomod is the only thing that comes close.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

"The only thing we care about is realism! We always have to prioritize realism and granularity over what's 'fun', and over good game design. It's not about balance, it's about what makes sense. That's why we literally don't put in new changes unless someone has the science and hard data to back them up. That's just how it has to be.
...Unless of course the realistic thing would be too fun or easy. Then we have to bend realism in favor of balance!"

This is a free game developed by amateurs so I'm not going to criticize TOO much, but I have to wonder about the type of person who thinks end-game content isn't important but pocket simulation, vitamin deficiencies, and (horribly) simulated weight gain are all necessary and cool.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I strongly agree, both bionics and mutagens in a normal playthrough come past the point you'd need them, and even stuff like special sleep or dietary requirements end up being meaningless because you've got a huge base or mobile cruiser that's stocked to the gills anyway.
God forbid we get mutations early, when they might make a difference to the way the game plays.

Ha, I never thought of it that way but yeah that is terrible design. Gameplay variety is gated behind completing all existing gameplay.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Coolguye posted:

There’s a number of places that could be fleshed out to be such. Fungal forests, sci lab portals, and FEMA shelters come immediately to mind. FEMA shelters in particular could provide an angle to a retirement option on your game, where if you clean it out, restore power and water, and bring in at least a dozen NPCs you can simply retire the character as a winner, complete with a montage of where are they now clips based upon your achievements.

This is all random example crap of course but when you consider that so much effort has been put in to the perfect muzzle velocity of a pistol and the impact force of an individual bullet it starts to look rather odd that no effort whatsoever has been put forward on expanding ideas like that.

It's easy to monkey around with jsons, it's hard to change code and design areas.

The lab portal in particular is frustrating because you can tell that idea was supposed to happen but was abandoned for some reason.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Anyone have a recommendation for a tileset that's not deadpeople or chesthole? Both of those are great, I'm just looking to shake things up a little for the next run.

I guess the real question is which tilesets are as finished as those, because I got real spoiled with deadpeople having tiles for everything and all major mods

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It drives me nuts when I can hear zombies fighting manhacks underground and can't find a way down

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

How does fishing actually work? Since my map is so river-heavy I'm going to need to get some fish instead of finding a moose/cow to dry as I usually do. So far I've just killed the fish I could see on the map but I assume the game actually has a deeper mechanic for fishing?

Fishing is weird. Long story short, you are going to want to use fish traps with maximum bait instead of fishing with a rod. Traps only rely on your survival skill and are passive so you can do other stuff while you wait. Craft some plastic fish traps, craft some fish bait, and place them in the water. Then wait.

For how it works mechanically, when you go out and melee kill a fish, it behaves like any other wildlife. But when you are fishing, you are catching pretend fish. The game creates an abstract fish population based on how many actual fish are within 60 tiles. When rod fishing, it uses your survival skill plus the quality of your rod plus a bonus from the number of fish in the area to do some weird math to see how long it takes for you to catch a fish. Traps work much quicker and only use your survival skill to calculate your chances of catching a fish. When you do eventually catch a fish either way, the abstract fish population is reduced by one.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I love retrodays except for two things: One, there is no dolly dress up because your character sprite doesn't change based on your gear and mutations. Two, I usually play with magiclysm and dorf life which are unsupported as far as I know.

But yeah it is great to actually see to the edge of your view distance.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Telsa Cola posted:

So does Dorf life actually add anything because looking through the mod code it looks like it just adds the caverns and mushrooms with some related recipes, nothing else?

Besides the finales which just appear to pull krecks and related poo poo as the monster spawn.

Yeah, it's just better caves with some more food sources.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FWIW, flaming eyes do in fact still fungus you in the latest Bright Nights.

Speaking of auto notes, why are things like groves, shrubs, and dead vegetation important? They're in the auto note list and I can't figure out why anyone would ever need to note their location.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Making a boat seems like such a good idea until you get one operational and find yourself trapped between two bridges 100% of the time

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder if there are any plans for structures spawning underwater a few z levels down

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Empty cities are also going to get an unlimited supply of eyebots and riot control bots, which may or may not be a good thing depending on how far along your character is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like clearing a town once during a playthrough since there's usually a short window between getting kitted up and the zombie evolution getting serious

It is never worth it though. There is nothing you can get from a cleared town that you can't get sneaking into a full one at night