Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think regular labs have a turret even if you enter using a science ID.

Speaking of labs, I am tempted to learn how to make a mod just to replace the newer labs with old science labs. They are nearly useless except for getting hydrogen canisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

On a related note, I've had some difficulty with using cameras to get better vision around my vehicle, often ending with me only being able to see the right side of the vehicle. Anyone know if there's a trick to getting them to work?

Do you have a camera display/control system installed where you're sitting and also are the cameras repaired? Other than that cameras have the same rules as you - they can't see over boards but they can see over quarterpanels. Also they are always external and can't see over roofs.

The game also gets weird about determining internal vs external as the vehicle gets bigger, so that might be something going wrong.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 16, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of security cameras, it annoys me more than it should that they don't work in the dark. My $30 wyze cam has color night vision irl. I don't think I can even find a video camera that isn't capable of ir nightvision.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wow, thanks for the informative boat treatise. Gonna build me that mini boat

Also I'm getting a little tired of the temp scale - wearing literally anything overheats you in the summer. When it's 67f outside.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PSA: You can press | and choose to wait until you catch your breath. I've been holding tab until my stamina meter is full like a buffoon all this time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I get that this is pretty much a sandbox game, but is there anything to actually do once you're an unstoppable mutant cyborg wizard dual-wielding .50 cal machine guns?

Not really. There challenge scenarios, of course, but other than those you kind of need to make your own goals. Stuff like surviving until year 10, make a camp with 10 NPC recruits and wander spawns on, clear a mi-go encampment, clear a central lab as a caveman, clear an evacuation shelter as a bad guy, etc.

Bright Nights does in fact have a win condition though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What, in vague less-spoilery terms, is the win condition in BN?

You know that lab finale that seems like it should do something but doesn't? It does do something in BN.

edit: too spoilery

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 17, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't suppose there's an easy way to remove all of a certain entity type from the game, is there?

I have a chick/snake apocalypse going on

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Can you find anything besides scrap when you dig through wreckage on chopper crash sites?

Nope, there's never anything under there.

Speaking of digging though, is there ever anything in the hundred thousand derelict sheds inexplicably littering the game?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I've cleared a ton of wizard towers (the simple round ones with plastic golem armies) and only like 25% of the time is there even any treasure. They really need to fix the loot pool or odds or whatever. Last time, I got a flask of quicksilver, which is basically worthless. Before that, I got a hammer token, which as far as I can tell is just a hammer you have to unpack first. And before that, nothing. Just books. Never a magic item or spellbook or even scroll. You'd think with the challenge and circumstance you'd be guaranteed something good, but nope. Here's a drama novel on this grand workbench.

Yeah I agree it's weird to have areas in a game that are basically dungeons, but the best move is to pass them by because you know there's nothing worth looting in there.

It's kind of a weird loot pool to adjust, though. I mean yeah they could give out a gun or something, but for my runs the most valuable loot is things like internal combustion fundamentals, zui quan and you, a hacksaw, a compound bow, and a vehicle welding rig.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah I think there's a lot of frustration with Cataclysm because of how close it is to a game people want it to be. It seems like an open-world apocalypse survival game, but at its heart it will always be an unfinished, run-based, traditional roguelike. The locations function more like rooms in Nethack, not dungeons in something like Fallout.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I thought it was a bug that you lose weight rapidly and die when riding the roller coaster, but after posting on the bunker it turns out it's working as intended

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't quite understand why the big contributors and alpha nerds who took control of development want to spend their time creating, coding, and meticulously balancing the absolute most boring aspects of the game.

I'm not a game developer but if I were I would probably be interested in doing fun stuff like making new entity tags, a non-vehicle electricity system, better enemy behaviors, npc autonomy, a better quest system, multi-tile enemies, enemy vehicles, a more interactive combat system, whatever. Or you know, an end game.

Instead you have a whole herd of these people huddled around solemnly debating vitamin deficiencies, weight-gain, and splitting different sewing skills. Stuff that even if completely perfected adds nothing but tedium to the game. Like who in the world gets into developing a scifi apocalypse game but only wants to spend their time coding how a berry behaves when frozen?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Remember that your actual engine requirements are way lower than you would think. You don't need two V12 engines for anything you would want to build. A 40,000 rolling fort can be powered by a single V6 or an enhanced electric motor no problem. Your motor will eventually take some damage because of how strain is calculated, but since you probably have a vehicle welding rig it isn't an issue.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

The new stable, 0.F, is finally out. At this point I'm a pretty firm believer in Bright Nights so it doesn't affect me much but this is a major milestone.

Tried it out, 41 minutes passed in-game and my character already got 'very hungry' and lost weight.

Welp back to BN.

edit: also they are continuing their quest to prevent players from using convenience mods of course

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 3, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Did they put a new type of lab in the game? Newer than the useless single-level labs with nothing but chemicals in them I mean. Well almost useless - those are a great source of hydrogen canisters for the cvd machine.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pretty lol that the volume of shopping carts was lowered from 150L. Real shopping carts have a volume of 300+ but hey realism only matters when it makes the game more tedious on the main DDA branch

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Caidin posted:

I think the most detailed set of quests in the game at the moment is probably HUB, but thats still only 5 missions or something. And I wouldn't really consider ANY of them to be worthwhile in terms of rewards. I guess Hub sells a quality environmental suit.

There's also a potential follower and a static merchant that appear at the hub after the first or second quest. If you're looking for a static base, the inside of the hub walls isn't a bad location.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SpacePope posted:

Are you using the auto-move? Double tap shift+W on the overmap. Works pretty well for long distance between cities. Using the autotravel (look in the keybinding menu) also helps a lot when manually walking through dense tiles such as forests. Makes moving around without a vehicle super easy.

Yeah it's kind of ironic that traveling on foot is faster than using a vehicle (in real time). I mean the fast travel does technically work while driving but the pathfinding just uses roads and stops if anything is directly in the one straight path it chose, so not very useful.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I'm a big fan of the local electric grid system, looking forward to the day I can power a home base and crafting systems without needing to make a fake vehicle there.

It'll be great, assuming a reason to have a base in the first place comes along with it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I guess the developer of UndeadPeople is a transphobic shitlord? Have been digging the set, but given he had a public meltdown over this PR https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/51079, deleted his discord, and vowed not to work on DDA or BN anymore I figure I'll swap to something else more permanently now. Also apparently this is a common occurrence?

Yeah it's happened a few times before. And despite him being a shithead, he kind of has a point about how he and all developers outside the Kevin fiefdom are treated.

It's a shame, since UndeadPeople is literally the only feature-complete and mod-comprehensive texture pack and likely always will be.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's probably the most repeated question in the thread, but do heavy duty roofs offer any practical advantage over regular roofs?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm resurrecting this thread to lol about how bonkers the body temp system is and how predictable the dev responses are

So if the ambient temperature is outside the typical indoor air conditioned range, you get pretty severe penalties to speed. If the temperature is above ~88f, your character actually gets a pain debuff. In shorts and a t-shirt.

Combine that with the glare debuff from existing in sunshine, and you can tell the contributors never leave the house. If I go outside in the summer, my skin will scorch from my body and my eyes will be blinded by the hateful sun. Morale boost +5: Closed curtains to basement window

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If that's honestly the way they wanted to go, they could have just said the cataclysm wrecked the weather and made it super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter

I don't mind having to deal with the weather and ambient temperature as a gameplay mechanic, but it is genuinely lmao that someone out there thinks an average new england summer cripples anyone brave enough to step outdoors

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Quarterstaff and knife spear are also good weapons that are relatively easy to make on day one

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Characters in this game are basically made of snow - standing near a fire for long can kill you and wearing any clothes at all when it's 75+ degrees outside gives you slowdown and/or pain

Gotta watch out for camping and also scuttle from car to car to stay out of the hateful sun

(this is a good goon sim)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah but what about shorts and a t-shirt on an 80-degree day

You literally have to take off all your armor (even a light survivor suit) to avoid the slowdown. It's not a big deal at all but it is definitely something weird to see

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has there been any news on a BN container system?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jawnycat posted:

and mainbranch CDDA should absolutely not be a loving roguelike anymore, it's wanting way too much time investment now for that. Is there a mod or way to remove perma-death by the by?

Just quicksave a lot and alt+f4 if anything goes wrong. Make sure you have the death notice thing on and quit out instead of pressing y/n - it won't delete your save or the world until you do.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The wild nests always have that weird bee NPC that absolutely wrecks all but end-game players. As far as I know it's the only piece of content that has a custom "boss" NPC, so I wonder if that was supposed to be part of something bigger at some point.

Speaking of NPCs, does anyone else run into a strange feast or famine situation with them? I'll do one run and never see another person outside a refugee center, but another run will have bandit camps, road traps, looters, and friendly NPCs all over the place. Same version, same world options.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Put the power armor in a pet carrier to tote it around in your vehicle

One of the power armor variants lets you move cars I think

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah Kevin Granade assumed dictatorship of the game, which is open source and not his original work anyway. He is a miserable little dork who rolled back any changes made by anyone outside of his tiny miserable fief. His common refrain when unilaterally making wildly unpopular changes to the game was "then fork the game and make the game you want"

Someone (Coolthulhu, not sure their real name) finally made a fork (Bright Nights) that caught enough developer attention to have wings. This has caused no end of wailing and gnashing of teeth from Kevin and his inner circle.

Apparently this is extremely common in open source projects.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jawnycat posted:

From what I've seen from reading abandoned git pages for DDA mods, the DDA devs are actively hostile to most mod developers behind the scenes.

Yeah mods get removed from distribution, obsoleted, or in some cases blocked in the game itself unless the modder kisses the ring. And by kiss the ring I mean cede all design control

I wish someone could reprogram these shitheels Clockwork Orange style to make them understand that you finish a game first, then go back and balance the systems. Oh and also maybe that the right way to rebalance in a single-player game is to add more interesting challenges, not nerf existing things into uselessness.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I prefer tedium to be abstracted as much as possible in games and don't think menu diving is actual gameplay in the first place

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So guys, you gonna put an endgame in the game orrrr...

Hmm just recursive wallet pockets and expanding the already-useless physical money inventory huh

Okay I'll check back in a year or so

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, this container system seems... I'm not sure if it's helpful? Should I be taking everything out of containers and stuffing it in one big container? Like first aid kits, should I take the stuff out of the box and put it loose in a pack? Juggling things between every single pocket on my person just seems... monumentally unenjoyable if I am supposed to be doing that.

It's technically impressive but I am really not sure what it is supposed to add.

It's been said a bunch of times in this thread, but CDDA is mostly interesting coding solutions rather than well-designed gameplay

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My favorite realism decision combination was individual nutrient meters with pistols that can't fire all the way across a street

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well it's not a non-sequitur, it's a contrast between one decision that made the game more tedious in the name of realism, but also another completely unrealistic decision made for balance

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mean even aside from the meganerd weirdo numbers decisions, it would be nice if folks would finish the game before polishing the food temperature system numbers or how much your combat effectiveness is affected by whether you have a knife stuck in the wrong bag

But I guess it is a free game. It's a little entitled to complain about which dorks take it over or what eyerolling decisions they make, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

Ran into a cool new feature in DDA that lets you set Eternal Weather, e.g. an endless snowstorm or permanently clear skies. Looked up the implementation and found this post on the subject:

Yeah, why give players cool, transformative options when they could just open up a .json file buried in one of the data folders and code it in themselves? Why would anyone want two transformative options at the same time?? In what world is Helicopter Start not enough?
Every day I understand this guy's "vision" for the game less and less.

It's a very long way of saying "if you don't like it make it yourself", which is exactly what has followed every dogshit greybeard manchild decision since the guy seated himself as emperor of the game he didn't make