Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I wouldn't say that archery is particularly overpowered. You are left unable to deal with skeletons, soldiers, robots, or brown spiders, plus there's a strength requirement. Range is only 10 so you have to get close to wolves and zombie dogs to fire. You also need to reload before every shot.

It's one of the best choices in the early game, but only because melee is so dangerous and gun ammo is hard to find. Throwing is also really good early game.

On static spawn at least, it makes sense to switch to a gun as soon as you can find a steady supply of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Galm posted:

What the hell is with car physics in this game? I took my semi-truck base crawler out across a bridge at 60mph, get about one map screen from the end of the bridge and smash into a car which flies out in the opposite direction. I got out to repair some minor damage, then, about 20 minutes worth of repairs later the car somehow reverses and knocks my truck into the water.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

That's a bug. It got fixed in the nightly builds. They add features, fix bugs, and add new bugs basically every day. While I'm sure more went into it, it feels like the 'stable build' was just a release on an arbitrary day that they decided to deem official.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Not really a request, but one thing I've halfway thought about to enhance high-level tailoring is to have more than one level of fitting. Like, if you were really good, you could have 'superbly fitted' items that gave 2 less than base encumbrance. This would also probably have to go along with a change that caps fitted encumbrance at 0, since negative encumbrance doesn't really make any sense for anything except maybe sneakers.

What, you mean you don't put on two skirts and a pair of long underwear before you go running?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jon93 posted:

Engine doesn't currently support seasonal spawn lists and I don't want to diverge too far from 0.6 DDA until they get stable. I'll mark it as a possibility on the suggestion list.

Making the game actually interesting after the initial scramble for loot is high on my list of goals for GDA.

I thought I read that swamp creatures didn't spawn during the winter. Is this not the case, or are you just unable to use that to create seasonal spawn lists?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Additionally, either make cartridges and stuff more generic so they can be interchanged more easily or add the ability to create your own. One of the reasons I turned to archery despite how overpowered it is (not in the goon build anymore I know but still) is because it was a pain trying to find sufficient quantities of ammo to justify carrying any particular weapon.

They're already somewhat interchangeable, you just need to use the bullet puller and hand press to covert one type into another. The only thing that isnt interchangable between all cartridges is primer and there are only 5 types.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Which version are you using? latest build I have still has specific casing for every caliber (.44, .45, .38, etc) which means when you break apart any of that ammo, unless you luck out and find a bunch of casings that you want somewhere else, you can only reassemble as many bullets as you have the casings for.

So if I had a small amount of 9mm and .38, I could salvage the lead, gunpower and small pistol primers, but since the casings aren't compatible, I can only assemble the bullets back together again into their original forms (or modified forms, but still the same caliber). Breaking apart 20 9mm and 20 .38 can only give me what I need to reassemble 20 9mm and 20 .38.

This is what I mean by making them interchangeable. I need the ability to make casings for whatever calibre I find and since my only sources at the moment is lucking out and finding spare casings I need.

Casings aren't interchangable but they are reusable. Just pick them up, and refill your .38 casings using stuff you get from breaking down 9mm.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

The part of fields.cpp that deals with how long fires burn is pretty complicated, so I'm not really sure what does what. One thing I've figured out so far is that the best way to keep a fire burning is to feed it alcoholic drinks. Whiskey, vodka, etc. increase the lifespan of the fire by 300 time units per volume unit, while wood and such add 1-4 time units at most. There's definitely a relation between units of volume and lifespan, but the relationship between material and lifespan is way larger.

[edit] Also, there's a relationship between fire density and lifespan. If you burn a lot of stuff at once, you will get a "denser" fire - that is to say, a raging fire instead of a small one. Big fires burn their fuel faster, though, so you won't actually get a longer burning fire out of it.

Is there a way to dump only one unit of alcohol on a tile? Lowest I can figure is 7 (via dumping into a flask and unloading it)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Berious posted:

Has anyone been able to get trees to burn well? I chop down a tree, turn in into logs and light the logs but even a huge stack burns out after one crafting action. Can I process the logs into 2x4 any way? Would be nice to live as a wood hermit and barely ever go to down but that's pretty hard if you can't make fire easily.

Use an axe on the log to make a bunch of 2x4s. Use a knife on the 2x4s to make skewers. One skewer will burn for like 25 minutes you get dozens if not hundreds of skewers from one log.

Also if you want them to last, burn only one skewer at a time. Adding more doesn't really make the fire burn longer.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you playing the nightly build? Because archery was overhauled substantially and is a lot more effort now, but also more interesting.

And yeah, vehicles can smoosh any normal zombie, but when you're at the point where you have a vehicle up and running, can mantain it, have a reliable supply of gas and the driving skill to use it, regular zombies aren't something you give a poo poo about anyways.

Archery is a lot more effort than it used to be, but it's a ton more powerful. You don't have to supplement your bow with other weapons now, nothing can stand up to metal arrows. Plus it's really easy to skill up archery now.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not like that was ever hard. What else are you going to do to the skill, though? Getting to the point where you can even make metal arrows takes a substantial investment into both Archery and Mechanics, skill level 7, plus a bunch of tools and resources. Even once you're done with that, all you have is a weapon that's decently powerful at short range and has no long-range capabilities whatsoever, it's categorically worse than pretty much any rifle at all. Plus you need to have at least 10 strength. It's something you base your whole build around.

I'm not really sure what's left that you can do to make archery less powerful without making it so useless that there's no point in using it anymore.

Oh, I definitely prefer it the way it is now since it's a lot deeper, it's just a lot more powerful than it used to be. The range is 3 times as far as it used to be, and it can deal with robots and skeletons now. It's better than handguns now, whereas those used to be an upgrade over bows.

And you don't need to base your build around it anymore - some of the lesser craftable bows only require 8 strength, and after the addition of slingshots and short-duration crafting recipes at every difficulty level it's very quick and easy to level up archery from nothing.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Shows that kickstarter money goes a good way...right?

The nightly SDL version currently has tiles. It's unplayable since there are so many missing sprites, but it is in there and working.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

There's a problem with redundant content (do we really need 50 professions an 6 different types of boots?), but a lot of the stuff that's been added recently is great and game-changing. Shopping carts, for example, are awesome and fit theme of the game.

Some of the new content isn't really thought out though. The whole smithing/forging crafting line is nice, but it takes you 14 hours of game time and a few trees worth of wood just to make the charcoal required to forge a pocket knife.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Wait, what? I can smith and forge now?

loving incredible, they're gonna combine URW style survival gameplay, I just know it.

Anyways, let them be immature. It's not like we have an alternative dev team or anything serious. They'll keep improving the game and when it's eventually stable in a million years someone can easily trim all the blatantly racist/sexist stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. It takes a huge investment in time but now you can tear apart a semi-truck and build yourself a suit of platemail and gasoline-powered flaming machete out of the scraps.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

T-man posted:

So is there a way to go back to good old ASCII now? Too many graphics make my cheetos taste too much like cheese and scare my neckbeard.

Isn't there an option to do that in the normal options menu? There was a week or two ago.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Doug Lombardi posted:

I think that what I want is a roguelike with similar themes to Cataclysm but with a different focus and different mechanics.

Unreal World is fun for a while. It's a survival/crafting roguelike in the same vein, but set in real-world iron age Finland. Fewer things trying to kill you, but starvation and the elements are much more severe. Instead of raiding a science lab to drink mutagens, you track and kill an elk, turn its skin into a cloak and smoke the meat to last you through the winter.

It suffers from the same end game problem as Cataclysm and most other sandbox survival games though.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I think you can chop up a fur pelt into a leather patch the same way as pants.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Considering you're learning from scratch, it seems reasonable that you would take a while to get any good at archery. Archery is a pretty complex skill, after all. Chucking poo poo at animals is more of an innate skill, so you can have more success with that earlier.

It is actually possible to split stacks, use the advanced inventory, hit / and select the square with your objects in, and your inventory with the other side of the menu, them highlight the stack and hit M, it should ask you how many you want to move. Advanced inventory is staggeringly useful for managing vehicle inventories and moving piles of stuff.

Just checked, and that only works when you're dropping items. When you move things into your inventory it apparently doesn't give the popup. If you make a stack too heavy I can't think of a way to split them and pick it up again.

Someone should report this as a bug.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Man, I really do not get this attitude, yours and Lawyers'. It literally does nothing more than enforce grinding up skills against walls or squirrels until they're useful, something that I would have thought was obviously and indisputably bad design.

Half of the game is grinding up skills by doing pointless stuff.

1. Make crowbar
2. Go house hunting for immediate needs
3. Grind tailoring to get up to backpacks
4. Grind survival until you get shovel and axe and can reliably butcher corpses
5. Grind fabrication and archery until you can make a good bow and arrows
6. Grind cooking to get up to mutagens
7. Go lab diving
8. Grind electronics until you can successfully craft and install bionics
9. Grind mechanics until you can repair all the components of the car
10. Grind driving until level 4
11. Explore until you get bored

The game is improved a lot by enabling NPCs since they can teach you skills and cut down on some of the grind. The problem is that they are extremely buggy and tend to crash the game.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Just to be clear - if an enemy is physically standing on something like a window or bush, that hampers their ability to attack? or is it only when they are stepping onto it?

I'm not sure the exact way it works, but if the zombie is in a bush you can get a few hits in and run away before it can attack you. Last night I was able to use a strategy like that to melee kite a group of 3 zombies while I had 14 torso encumbrance.

If you e(x)amine the terrain you can find the best places to get them stuck. If you have time to prepare, deep pits are really good (movement cost 1000 I think), but bushes or cars (movement cost 400) will also do.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

That would be pretty great. Right now, there's really no advantage to settling down over keeping a nomadic lifestyle. Settling down just means that you'll eventually run out of things to loot in your immediate vicinity and have to forage farther and farther away. Making base building rewarding by causing fun stuff like NPC villagers and zombie sieges would be a great way to improve the situation.

Seconding this. A reason to actually build a base instead of live out of my deathmobile would help the endgame and give it more purpose. It would also give a boost to the utility of construction and traps, and give a good location for eventual zombie sieges to occur.

You could incentivize permanent settlement via things like farming, or through NPC villages and factions.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I feel like I've learned a bit but I'm still pretty shite. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on how to start and stuff, and what I should be doing early game.

For reference, this is the character I rolled

This is what I have after doing the basic "Smash Everything, Craft Basics"

Here is what I have around me.

I'm thinking of heading to the hotel and picking up a luggage cart, then running over to the Grocery Store / Library. I'll keep you guys updated if that's ok, and hopefully you all can help guide me to greatness. (Still haven't lived past Night 1)

Focus on getting some sort of torso protection. Most enemies tend to target your torso, so a leather vest really increases your combat survivability.

Also if you go to the hotel, try not to fight more than 1 zombie at once. Run instead.

If a zombie dog starts chasing you, don't even try to run away from it. It will catch you. Get it caught on a bush and fight.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kayle7 posted:

Wow how do you have a tileset?

Cataclysm has tiles by default now. That was one of the main purposes of the kickstarter a few months ago.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Brewing, timer flags on things for setting up a still and leaving it running instead of boiling pots of water unit by unit, and so on. I'd love to see that sort of thing in the game.

Isn't that system already in? I thought they just used the timer flag system to implement a "wet towel" item that dries off into "dry towel" item.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

They nerfed tetanus 2 weeks ago FYI.

Cosmik Debris posted:

So I used to be super into Cataclysm DDA and GDA, but fell out of playing it for about a year. I checked the OP but it hasn't been updated since september. I downloaded the most recent version 0A or whatever, but whats been happening with this game? Without digging through the whole thread, has there been more drama with the developer? What's major features have been added/changed? What happened to goon days ahead? Is this game effectively dead now?

Most of the good stuff from the goon fork was merged into the main game, which made it redundant and was quickly passed up in terms of content.

Some posters here hold a grudge against the main devs, which ends up filtering into the hive mind.
The game is way past where it was last year, and most of the changes have been for the better.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cosmik Debris posted:

you did GDA?

He did his own fork that no one contributed to. The bigger fork (GDA) had been dead for a long time before that.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Anticheese posted:

Business as usual, then?

Yes, the experimental build that exists to help weed out bugs has a bug

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Slime posted:

Jesus things that dodge are seriously annoying. I can punch out a bear but a dog is something I just can't kill. I can throw rocks which somehow hit, but it's slow and boring and poo poo. And then something actually nasty comes along and I demolish it, as long as my legs aren't ruined by dogs and cougars and coyotes that come at me in droves.

Try running into a forest or keeping a bush between you and it. They'll get caught up during their hit-and-run allowing you to clobber it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Man Whore posted:

Hey I apologize if this has been asked before but I've been away from this game since the og developer abandoned it and some random nerds picked it up. What are some of the major changes since then?

Huge quality of life improvements, like: a game window larger than 10x10, being able to view all items around you instead of from only one tile away, being able to carry more than 75 items at once.

Big changes to game design, like being able to craft pretty much everything in the game. Also, zombies are now generated once at the start of the game instead of dynamically - so you can legitimately clear a town out.

They added a boatload of items. In many cases it's redundant content, but now you can rollerblade circles around zombies and bullwhip them while throwing all their stuff in your shopping cart.

Some of the more prolific posters in the thread hold grudges against the main developer, so just ignore the drama and play it for yourself.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Man Whore posted:

So do zombies stay dead between character deaths? Like could I continually throw characters into the meat grinder until I cleared a city block?

Sort of. They do stay dead (as long as you (s)mash the bodies to make sure they don't rise again), but when you begin a new character he starts in a different location, usually miles away. You can't really count on a meat grinder strategy.

You're best off running away from anything more than a single zombie. It's not like other roguelikes where you're expected to fight the basic monsters at the beginning of the game. Smash a window, loot a house, and move.

When you do have to fight, try throwing rocks and sticks at it from nearby instead of engaging in melee.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

nftyw posted:

That might explain it. Are NPCs still the crash-happy walking game ender they used to be, or did they quash all of those?

They're still pretty buggy, but they don't crash the game much anymore.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Once you move to a ranged weapon, feel free to load up on duffel bags and backpacks. Torso encumbrance doesn't impact ranged combat at all.

Keeping leg, foot, and mouth encumbrance low is the most important, since those all impact running speed.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kirs posted:

Oh. Didn't knew that.
I mostly play at place where there is no internet connection and this is still an old build. Got new build on my home pc but unable to play it more than half an hour.
Did they add or changed any interesting mechanics?

Not sure when you last played, but the biggest semi-recent change is to crafting. You can craft directly from books without learning the recipe, however you don't gain skill from crafting items that are too easy. Books are a lot more important now as a source of skill.

If you've been gone for a really long time, they added shopping carts, and wearable storage like holsters and quivers. It makes it easier to scavenge without wearing 6 backpacks.

Wild T posted:

Edit: Internal Furnace leads to fun things in the game. Like my character who found a Handloader's book and excitedly ran back to the shelter to learn all those sweet, sweet recipes but because I hit the wrong key simply ate the loving book instead :mad:

Many CBMs are toggleable now to somewhat help prevent things like that.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Latest experimental has flurries and realistically cold weather for a Massachusetts spring, which is extra not-fun since your options are either find/make very specific warm clothing or build fires every so often (or put up with being slower due to being cold and likely get your mouth frostbittennipped) even though ~realistically~ you could lower your face inside a good coat so that the top covers your nose and mouth - it wouldn't be nearly as good as an actual scarf obviously but doing that allows the warmth of your breath to end up inside the coat instead of just out in the air where it can't warm up your mouth at all. I'm sure if I suggested this on the Cataclysm Github, even if it got added in people would thereafter complain about how overpowered coats are and want to nerf them.

I don't think you can do that with a coat but you are able to activate a scarf to tighten/loosen it over your mouth for more/less protection. Also the beginning scarf only takes 4 rags and doesn't need tailoring skill.

And honestly the ability to tuck your face into an overcoat seems like exactly the kitchen sink stuff that they keep putting in, why not suggest it?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I reinstalled the new experimental last week. With my first character, the NPC refugee had a flamethrower and promptly burned down half the forest chasing a rabbit.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I cheat my driving up to 4 because I don't want to grind the driving skill by riding a bike in circles for 30 minutes. I highly recommend this.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Agean90 posted:

So whats the Goon-Recommended version of this to play? The OP hasnt been updated in two years and I remember this game having half a dozen different builds.

There are two real versions, the stable version and the experimental. The experimental has a few new features, the best one I've seen from the current experimental is running/stamina. Sometimes they are unstable or have unbalanced game play.

If you're trying to learn the game, the stable build 0.C is the best to play.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

How does running work, anyway? I can't find a command for it so I've just been walking away from things very briskly and occasionally throwing rocks at them..

It's the quote button - "

I had to look in the config file to find it.

There's a Run/Walk indicator and a stamina bar in your status area.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, you can do that? Can I actually mine out my own Dwarf Fortress-esque bomb shelter in this game? :aaa:

Yeah. I've never tried it but I'm pretty sure you can build a generator and stuff down there too to get lights and a fridge and stuff.

The stairs take like 8 hours of game time, but with a jackhammer mining out the walls should be pretty quick.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's the RM99 revolver. It uses caseless ammunition, and can mount like 10 different mods and a conversion at the same time.

I looked at the mod and yeah, it says rifles. What kinds of conversions are there for pistols?

The item explorer has a list of gun mods.

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/gunmods/pistol/bore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

What the hell. My revolver isn't accurate enough to increase my marksmanship skill further? That is some straight-up BS. :mad:

Particularly when high marksmanship is required to apply gun mods. Sheesh.

Does aiming do anything to help?

In case people werent aware, you can take aim in the fire menu by pressing ".", c, or p. I only found this recently even though it says it right there.