Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also you can get addicted to the stronger painkillers, which sucks. My last amazing character found a Last Man On Earth shelter and was busy setting up turrets around it until he got the shakes and pain from opiate withdrawal. I foolishly decided to continue setting up autoturrets and was too slow to draw my weapon when one of them mis-identified me as a hostile and gunned me down :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Of course, that leaves pre-cataclysm foods that don't spoil, like cookies and chips and jerky, in a weird area, where it's not clear whether they should be given high enjoyability or low.

High enjoyability! It can be countered by them lowering your health stat and not actually give much nutrition, putting them in a comfort food niche rather than "you can live off packs of crisps forever" niche.

Jerky should be something you can make post-collapse and so shouldn't really be a "junk food" item.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

Geez, I guess winners really don't use drugs. Took some meth to get out of a tight spot, an hour or two later (right) it wore off and my character now has incessant meth cravings & has slept for 24 hours straight. I'll stick to adderall from now on, I guess.

Give it a couple days and you'll kick that meth habit. Same with alcoholism, heroin addiction, or sleeping pill dependency.

Winners use all drugs all the time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Man, I just killed a crow because it was in the way and butchered it out of instinct. It gave me 40 feathers and six chunks of meat. That's more than a cougar, or a zombie brute!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Already tried that.

Can you press ? + 1 to get to the keybind menu, or is that returning "unknown command" as well? Failing that, take a look at Cataclysm/Data/keymap.txt, I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

You should be sleeping at night. Don't go out at night. You don't hunt by smell - zombies, cougars, and ravenous moose do.

Also try to get some sort of vehicle ASAP. Maybe scout nearby roads before going into cities - you'll tend to find cars you can't use in city streets, but abandoned cars that just need fuel are more common on roads.

Finally, you're doing the "lure zombies into rough terrain and beat them to death" thing, right? Like, over a bush, or through a window, to make it harder for them to fight back.

(If it's still too hard, turn spawn rates down in the options menu. Turn them down to, like, 25%. Once you get the hang of things, start turning it back up towards 100% again. No point forcing yourself to play a single-player game that you're not enjoying)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What skill does soldering use?

Electronics, I think. Which would mean you need to read books on circuitry to fix your armour.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

I got to dodge 14 once, allowing a lovely black rat to follow me in my house before closing the doors behind him and then doing some hours long construction inside, ignoring his attacks and dodging 500x.

I tried to do this with a sewer rat and some welding, but I forgot to equip my nail bat to block it with.

After despatching the rat and assessing the damage, I thought "well, scuffed shoes, damaged knee pads, could have been worse" and only realised a day later that I was no longer wearing trousers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Firearms have different levels of damage based on the type of attack you do, which is based off how well you did on your attack roll. You just need a bunch more types of damage table!

Endgame weapons could be endgame not just because of their stats but because of their critical effects that would start proccing reliably once you're really good at cutting/bashing/piercing weapons. You can still wail on people with a katana at low skill and do a lot of damage, but once you're an artisté you can start bisecting zombies.

It'd also be nice to put really powerful critical effects on otherwise innocuous weapons, like scalpels or brass knuckles, so that you're not just stuck with Use Katana For Maximum Efficiency mode all the time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

A little of column B, a little of column "confirmation bias."

No, seriously, all zombies do not wear bras. You've just been having the weirdest luck and ignoring the ones that don't.

I think the point is "why is underwear now part of the game".

I mean you're not going to get SUPER COMBAT UNDERWEAR with amazing resists, it doesn't add any storage (like belts do, which are also newish), it doesn't add any encumbrance, it's not like rags are particularly tricky to find, it's just a bit odd to now be able to go put on nothing but a dozen bras and throw Qurans at zombies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, I, uh, got a bit surprised by the vibrator item. I was in an underground cold lab (-13C or something), found one in a closet, and thought using it would work kinda like the radio (i.e. buzzing against something creates a noise that attracts creatures).

This was not the case.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pickup trucks are your go-to to begin with, followed by humvees. If you find a semi-truck that's always fun, but cumbersome and does not come with much storage to begin with. Could be a good base for a project.

Generally speaking, look for bridges. It seems to me that they are always full of vehicles that just need fuel and batteries, rather than a complete overhaul like city cars which have had zombies aimlessly thrashing on them for a while. Anything you find outside a town is unlikely to need much maintenance but it's a crapshoot as to whether you actually find something - the point of bridges is to have a shitload of irritating cars in your way, though, so it's more likely you'll find something there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Reload the welder, if it's empty. It eats batteries.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hey, I just added a minireactor to my humvee of death because I found it in a bank safe. What does it actually do? I've fed it with plutonium and assumed it would charge up my car's battery, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Is it for nuclear turrets or something?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really don't think the zlave thing is some disgusting sexual thing that some nerd is furiously masturbating to.

I would like to personally inform you that you are incorrect.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm still faintly horrified by using a vibrator in front of zombie hordes to break out of your depression to run faster

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

One thing whose current implementation bugs me a bit is 'stylish.'

Most of the stylish gear is, frankly, not really worth it. You get a morale bonus of 5 or so, for 5% faster skilling, but it typically comes with significant disadvantages compared to the non-stylish gear you would otherwise be wearing. Much greater encumbrance, or lack of protection/storage. In mechanical terms, it's mostly just good for the gimmick. Which is why it's annoying that you have to pay points at character creation to take advantage of even this undesirable tradeoff. I feel like the stylish bonus should be inherently available to all characters, since you're already always giving up a mechanically useful loadout to take advantage of it, with the exception of the stylish sunglasses.

This would make it mechanically optimum for everyone to have a designated pimpsuit-slash-gimpsuit which they put on to read textbooks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Minor point that you need Fab 1 for wooden needles, so you need to spend a while sharpening sticks to get up to there.

Also, makeshift crowbar has been superceded a bit as the go-to starter weapon by the Cudgel; it looks like it's got poo poo for damage but it hits quickly, precisely, and pretty much stunlocks zombies while you chip away at them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

recoil goes up chance to hit goes down.

Conversely, use gunsmith kits on guns to accurize them. I keep forgetting about this, as well as reinforcing melee weapons with a soldering iron. Nothing is better than getting a katana forged of true hanzo steel, and soldering a bit of spare shelf to it to further increase its damage.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Potshots with an accurate rifle from a long way away. SMG turrets have a range of about 25 squares; rifle a fair bit longer. Anti-materiel, well, just ram it with a really loving armoured car.

Also, did you know if you use hacking tools on the entrance to a military bunker, turrets emerge and kill you instantly??? I didn't!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I have just found out that if you find an APC, and you have a hacksaw, a wrench, and level 2 mechanics, you can remove its browning M2 and get an absolute shitload of .50cal ammo regardless of the weapon's condition.

Hope you like handloading!

e: or you can get nothing, and I've just been stupidly lucky so far

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Man who cares if you can't use it? That's like 5000-10000 units of gunpowder and lead right there.

Although I'm quite sure there's an m2 conversion recipe into a single-shot sniper rifle; had it on my previous character, but can't seem to find it on my current one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's early spring in new england, what were you expecting

Smash a window, make a makeshift knife out of glass and string. You can do this in your first ten actions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So here's the deal with shoggoths. Any item on the ground they can touch will be used to heal them up in a single turn. Shotguns, guns, and anything that isn't an energy weapon or caseless drops items around you when you fight.

Get a laser gun, or switch to melee and you'll tear them a new one really quick.

Brass catchers are also pretty easy to make out of rags.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ahahahaa you can't disassemble the .50cal found in m2 turrets

gently caress you, game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pretty sure there is, in fact, a .223 revolver. The "holdout" or something. Can't remember the name and don't think I have one in this save.

Archonex posted:

Apparently airborne incendiary is code for "can melt through steel in a heartbeat".

Obviously a conspiracy. We all know that jet fuel ca

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Note that if you turn that off, you should still butcher corpses when you remember, as it's a really easy way to skill up Survival. Bit gruesome, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flaming Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hug3DkhA6Oc

except replace "walking" with "flaming"

Seriously, they're vicious. If you see one, park your car, get close under cover, then shoot the poo poo out of it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I can sort of see how you might want some real world experience when adjusting the trigger or something, but you shouldn't have to be a ninja marksman.

Anyone know what book has the recipe for steel crossbow bolts, by the way? Or if it exists?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

A portal to a fiery hellscape would fit with the game.

I struggle to see how, thematically. Dimensional labs (the cold ones) are the ones with a tap into the Sub-Prime plane full of mi-gos and shoggoths and the origin of the PE2073 (or whatever) sample, i.e. the source of all bad stuff that's going down.

I totally agree, gameplay-wise. There's loads of anti-fire equipment and CBMs, it'd be a natural counterpart to the cold labs, and some new monsters would be cool. It would mean the usual easy-mode combat trick of "burning poo poo" would be neutered, too. Maybe you could spin it as the Cthonians rising, or something - there's enough lovecraft poo poo shoehorned into the game already.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dig holes, probably. Do whatever takes 1 construction, repeatedly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Do whatever takes Survival 2, repeatedly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If you have the Integrated Toolset bionic you can weld using your own power supply, too.

Why is Integrated Toolset so good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

I find myself struck with the sudden urge to find a ton of .50 cal ammo

Take the m2s off of military vehicles. For some reason they come with shitloads of .50cal ball rounds.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

How damaged are your engine, alternator, and battery?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

erm

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

I wonder what the aesthetic sensibility is on the dev team.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

If by "lots" you mean a single item, then yes.

are all the tails and collars and poo poo like that added by a mod?

if so that's good. please let me know which mod, so that i may turn it off, because i like my crafting windows uncluttered.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

honestly I always found the amount of whining over it as a result quite satisfying. (Sorry guys)

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

What shall I do with these 30 mininukes?

Get the book that has the recipe for the mininuke mortar and remove a city.