Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

They can fix the challenge when they've made more progress on the features. I don't get the demand everyone has to make the game more hardcore and remove op items.

Speaking of which, is there a design document anywhere that lays out the long term plans for the game? I'd like to contribute but I'm not so sure what would fit when I can roam the wastes as a furry samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Strumpie posted:

Turret stats got bufffed a little before 0.9 and are now pretty terrible at their max range, within 10 squares they're reasonable and right up close it's possible for them to pretty much blow off a limb before you can react.

In regards to the clothing chat don't forget to fit, reinforce and then layer them in the '+' menu.
I have 172 volume storage with 0 encumbrance on any body part. (Except 1 on mouth/eyes but that's by choice and head doesn't matter)

Dodge being broken due to blocking and rats it's annoying. On my current ranged character I had dodging 9 and I've barely gone into melee combat. All from rats attacking me whilst working on my vehicles. (I used debug to reset it because it annoys me)

Mind sharing your outfit?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'm chilling in a fire station for the winter while I pimp out an APC I found down the street. Any way to dig a basement or get arable land inside? I'd consider moving to one of the secret weed grow-ops I found but it's be a massive pain to move everything.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

geeko55 posted:

Any easy way to take care of turrets? I finally fix up an RV with plenty of gas, battery power and water/food for a long, long haul but of course down my one good road is a turret blockade. Should I try to improvise a grenade launcher, or is there an easier way? My attempts of molotoving them got me close enough to almost get killed, so I need a better plan.

I haven't tried it yet but reddit claims that EMP grenades will take them out without damaging that sweet sweet loot.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The secret to any successful home surgery is lots of cocaine.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

So I met my first tank drone. I drove an armor-plated truck into it. It turns out this is a winning strategy for lots of encounters. This game. :allears:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

If you can find an electric car it only takes mechanics 1 and no tools to remove a swappable storage battery.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Do emags count as throwing? Can I yoyo stuff?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Don't replace the kitchen, they do different things.

When powered, the fridge will keep food fresh longer, but you could probably chuck it if you are fine with nonperishable food.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

They need to make a Duke Boys perk that gives you morale bonuses for power slides and sweet jumps.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Hit p then ! to switch to examine them.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Angry Diplomat posted:

I agree with this. I don't crank up starting skill points because I, personally, don't enjoy that as much. I also turn off skill rust because I, personally, find it tedious and irritating. I am playing the game Correctly and so is everyone who plays it differently from me. It's a customizable single-player game.

I might try a run with one of the goofy Classic Roguelike archetypes sometime. It'd be pretty funny to start out as a clanky heroic Knight and just trundle through the game being an incredibly resilient superstitious rube who thinks cars and guns are sorcery, and instead drags his worldly possessions around in a "curious metal wagon" he found in an amazing treasure trove full of cured foodstuffs, suspicious alchemical powders, and odd fizzy potions.

I'm imagining a huge guy with pinpoint pupils furiously scratching at himself as he tells 'peasants' about the cache of giants' strength and haste potions he found.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Just be aware that a full cargo carrier will be more weight then you can move.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Gridlocked posted:

I have closed the game now sorry. I did get to Spring, day 2 but it was still dark.

Is your character nearsighted?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Hm, so you can! Have to bust down 36 (!) curtains for the rope though since you need two frames to make it work, but the only other requirements are a rock and lots of smashed furniture.

Cutting seat belts off cars is faster.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

gently caress it, just make the Mad Max total conversion mod.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

For the second raid a jewelry shop and there should be some in the back. It's a pain in the rear end to make all the tools by hand.

E: Checked esilofusion: Once you have a forge or a acetylene torch it's crucible->anvil->tongs->chisel->swage & die set. You'll need a poo poo ton of scrap so you want to destroy a car or disassemble a bunch of store shelves.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Except the rifle can be fired in single-shot mode and can drop normal zombies with a 1-2 good shots. So maybe 8 shots?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

You can make bearings out of softer metals (bismuth, tin, silver, gold) or solder. They have 3 times the punch of pebbles.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I wish there was a simpler way to make them though. I want a little crafting light but my verisimilitude sense gets cranky about the steering wheel in the middle of my RV.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The problem with lighted aisles is they aren't cargo spaces. :colbert:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Confession time: I usually don't mess around with guns. I either use bows or carry pneumatic weapons because I hate the idea of ammo being a scarce resource.

That changes today. I've got pretty much all of the gun mods, a FOODCO reloading station with thousands of rounds of ammunition and assorted parts and a desire to murder loving everything without carrying 20lbs of metal arrows or plinking at them with rocks or ball bearings.

So... what guns should I use?

My current loadout is a flare gun, Colt revolver and a sawed off doublebarrel in holsters. I haven't found a UPS bionic mod yet so I'm avoiding the energy weapons for now.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Lots of other stuff can be used for fletching, but boxes have no other uses. They are only useful as fletching because they are so useless. :eng101:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Coolguye posted:

I believe atomic lights ARE squelched if you put them in a floor container or something of that nature, but don't quote me on that as I haven't done it myself yet.

No, they are. Tried to craft by atomic nightlight in my RV, but I just had a pitch dark cargo space square.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Larry Parrish posted:

That's why I just play with NPCs on. They're freaking ridiculous.

This is the real answer. The game is so much more fun when some chucklefuck decides to hunt possum with a homemade flamethrower.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'm getting the sense that the CDDA forums have no loving clue how vitamins work.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Turning lead into brass.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I really like Fire Stations as they have plenty of space and only one door that the Zombies can feasibly get through, but you'll need to start with some combat skills to clear out the inhabitants. If you start as a firefighter you will spawn at one.

Unless it's has been changed recently you can make a lightstrip, which will generate a tiny amount of light for a long time. It's a good stopgap until you get your heat/power situation figured out. You can get parts and figure out the recipe by disassembling flashlights.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

After like 3 people wrote multi-paragraph arguments about why it should go

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

How do you freeze a potato chip?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Motherfucker posted:

I mean peak Cataclysm to me is mentally picturing a squid man in a trucker hat, AK-47 wrapped in his left tentacle and the reigns of six grizzly bears in the other as he rides atop a chariot that is literally just a flotilla of shopping trolleys lazily lashed together with cargo-straps. Hes wearing an American flag across his shoulders and firing blindly into a croud of the undead.

:same:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

On the downside it looks like EMP grenades got nerfed out of existance so turrets are more threatening.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Neophyte posted:

IIRC there's two kinds of EMP things, one you can't craft and get as the quest reward, and a bomb? that you can craft but is really high level and has very rare components and drop rate.

Basically now if you're in a lab start you can't count on just grinding a few levels and then making them by the bucketload anymore, so you've got to figure out another way to get around the turrets & robots. This makes lab starts a lot harder than before.

Yeah I was thinking of the bomb which requires a rare component and a microwave generator. I don't know how much else has changed cause in 0.D EMP grenades seemed to make lab turrets explode anyway.

Is there a way to remote-detonate bombs?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Halp how do I master the technology of "cup that can get real hot"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

IIRC tactical tonfa also don't conduct either and they also function as a flashlight or stun baton if you want to eke every bit of utility out of your whomping stick

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Martial arts passives only work with style weapons or unarmed.

You can check this by opening your character sheet, martial arts passives will be visible under effects

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

How many weapons do people use in a pinch/ which blade should I carry if I luck into swords of the samurai?

I cheated myself the book of 5 rings because my random char had the nickname Musashi so I pretty much had to

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Tin Tim posted:

Sure but to get that string I need to go back into zombie areas again and I don't think I'm in the shape for that right now. Still in mild pain, focus constantly below 50, unhappy, missing a health bar on every limb. Just seems like I should keep it safe for a bit now :v:

Just trying to hit fab 2 so I can upgrade my sword and once I have recovered a bit more I get back to clearing that little town

Huh, good to know about the value of sleeping to heal! Also I still have 4 bandages from the medkit I started with and first aid 1 from my background. National guard has some tight starting boons imo

E: Crude sword gotten! I wish my focus would stop being in the dumpster but I guess it's time to head back out since I can't really do anything else in my crappy tower

E2: So how do you actually go about doing healing right? Like assume you have been in a few fights and are missing like two or three pips on a limb. Do you just slap a bandage on it and then pass some hours until you heal back up?

You started in a shelter right? Check the windows with examine. They may have curtains you can tear down for string, a couple sheets and a heavy stick

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Hammer and screwdriver will deconstruct most things. If you want a hobo sledgehammer you can craft a homewrecker, which is just scrap metal tied (presumably really well) onto a pipe.

For plumbing fixtures and mirrors it's overkill though. You can't deconstruct them but you can smash them to bits with pretty much anything that does bashing damage. They'll give you copper tubing and ceramic shards which are both pretty useful.

Edit: Drag is mainly for constructions/ vehicles. You can use / to just haul a bunch of stuff (including corpses)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah drag only works for furniture and bigger things but does not recognize corpses on the ground. I can select the corpse while standing on it with the / menu but I can't find out how to set a destination for it other than my inventory

Whoops, use \ instead to haul everything in the square you are standing on.