Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Do spiders (wolf spiders especially) spawn everywhere and all the time similarly to other wildlife or do they spawn in particular areas of the map only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

Seeing a fungal bloom on the map when starting a new game is basically my cue to re-roll the world.

gently caress fungaloids.

Started out, checked map, there's a public works nearby and a gas station a bit further away. Got to the public works, found a plastic jerrycan and some tools I (everything but a jack, I believe), grabbed a crowbar and the jerrycan, put on boots, jumpsuit and a hardhat and went off of to the gas station. It has 8 pumps, right outside there's two abandoned electric cars in full working order and there's also a bunch of dead scientists on the side with a couple of id cards and some purifier. I walk into the station to check the loot in there and, as I walk out, safe mode stops, as there's fungaloid right across the road.

I saved, quit and backed up the save for later. Not on the first day of a no-archery run.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Speaking of fungal spires, how feasible is to slowly circle around it, pelting it with pipe bombs and molotovs? There's one way too near to a large city I found, which means that there's a lot of Fs in the outskirts, including the corner with its both gunstores.

I took a drive out to try and locate it, nearly destroyed my pickup on the countless fungaloids and ants swarming all around the place and had a really tense offroad escape back to the base, where I spent 4 days fixing and upgrading the truck and preparing to try and take it down. I've now got a fixed and fully steel-plated pickup, about 500 rounds of various pistol ammo and the corresponding guns, 4 LAWs, about 20-30 molotovs worth of bottles and gas, and the ingredients for as many pipebombs as I want. Alternatively, there's a working semi not very far that I hope might make it to the spire, but I don't have the batteries to uparmor it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Simulating scurvy caused by months of cooked meat diet would probably cross the realism/fun threshold.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
I played this a lot last summer, but burned out around 0.8 (I think? I stopped with the last nightly build before zombie bears were introduced) and from reading the thread, it seems the opinions are mixed at best. Is it better or worse compared to where it was last year?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Bilal posted:

4. Is hunting harder now? It feels like wild animal spawns have been cranked way down, and animals run away from you now too. In earlier versions I ate nothing but cooked meat and walked right up to squirrels and rabbits, meleed and then cooked them up. In fact, I think something was bugged in an earlier experimental I played because I had literally hundreds of wild animals spawning around my shelter. Now I rarely see a opossum or squirrel and they run so fast I can't even catch them.

It definitely is. Earlier versions were teeming with rabbits, squirrels and deer to a ridiculous degree, as well as aggressive predators, which made hunting trivial. In my latest save (and the first one in like 18 months), I've came to rely on foraging in the forest and scavenging the town for food.

Speaking of which - how does fishing work exactly? Do you always need to use a bait and are those reusable or do they get eaten by fish?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, does no one run into sludge crawlers any more? I built them specifically to be super annoying badasses and no one ever talks about them.

I think I died to a sludge crawler in August 2013, checked the forum to see what was added in the latest experimental build, read the name "zombear" and quit the game for 18 months.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Adding a water faucet on top of an onboard chemistry lab gives you more functionality than a RV kitchen unit. Add a FOODCO for water purification/dehydrator/vacuum sealer and you've got a nearly complete two-tile kitchen/meth lab in two tiles, as opposed to three it'd take otherwise.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
I picked this up again after about year and a half (the previous version that I played was cataclysmdda-0.C-3279, to give you an idea) and spent a few evenings mucking about, getting overconfident and dying to deadly as ever moose, shocker brutes and the surprisingly strong survivor zombies.

It still scratches the 'hoard every part of the buffalo' itch like nothing else does and I did not encounter anything too sperged up, I think. The nutrition system seems kind of manageable, at least and I didn't quite make it to building or driving vehicles yet.

So, my question is - the default worldgen options provide a list of mods. The mod folder has quite a lot more mods and I'd like to include one not on the list. No_Zombie_Animals, if that matters. How can I get non-default mods to show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I have nothing helpful to contribute because I am a worthless piece of poo poo but I want to say that this all makes me very excited.

Same.

Except I don't really hate the thirst mechanic for what that's worth.