Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

PiCroft posted:

was thre a new font/way to change the font used to make it look nicer? I think it was in the last thread bu I can't seem to find the post.

I prefer to use a square font like Topaz-8 (sized up to 16x16 since 8x8 is tiny) or cootue_curses_square16x16 because it makes cars and roads and other structures not look distorted if they are turned the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Just tried this, It makes the viewport and map displays look much nicer. It's very swell when the map tiles are actually as long as they are tall, I always got confused when monsters where approaching vertically and I was running away horizontally.

Makes text display a bit less legible though for some reason.

Yeah reading the square text takes a little getting used to.

Also I just got owned by a bear with an SMG. :psyduck:

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do you install this terminus font? I both installed it into window's fonts folder and in the data folder and changed the FONTDATA file to:

Cataclysm DDA crashes on starup with this though. :smith:

Other than one weird goon repack (and maybe the newest, as I have yet to try it), the first line in FONTDATA needs to be the name of the font as installed in windows. So try changing "data/terminus.ttf" to "Terminus" and it should work. I Still suggest a square font though, other then the two I named before there is one people seem to like from Dwarf Fortress, no idea what it is though.

Newest goonDA uses the font name as well.

Riolith fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 8, 2013

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Elth posted:

I've found a frying pan in a sporting goods store once. Also, make sure you have an empty bottle before you boil water, since you need something to transfer the clean water to, and I haven't figured out how to empty a container on the ground.

If you want to pour something on the ground; after you "U"nload it and it pops up your inventory, just hit escape and it should ask if you want to just dump it on the ground.

On the topic of torso encumbrance, find some under armor and fit it for -1 encumbrance. Why wearing some skin tight shirt is better than no shirt at all we may never know.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
Ok, I am still using GoonDA 0.1 and at some point in time bears went from maybe 1 in 5 shooting an SMG at me to Every. Single. One. Do only some bears spawn with SMGs and I am unlucky? Or did all bears have SMGs and the ones I am running into are just dicks?

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
I am curious whether or not most people play with delete world on death on or not. When I first started I thought it was a no brainier on, whats the point of re exploring an area after all. But now thatIi am more experienced and have fortified a gas station and have a car packed with goodies I am seeing the appeal of keeping the same world.

Edit: vvv :what: vvv

Riolith fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 9, 2013

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

The King of Swag posted:

My only problem is that tile colors are very poorly chosen, or the contrast is borked or something. A lot of enemies and items are nearly black in color, which means they blend perfectly into the background. Anytime I enter a new area, I have to manually scan every tile on the screen to see if something is there; only some of the zombies (regular zombies) and wildlife (rabbits) are bright enough to see.

That doesn't sound right at all. It could be something wrong with the latest nightly build, maybe try out Jon93's repack on the third post of the first page? It has a lot of ballance changes as well and is worth checking out, just don't bother with archery on the 0.2 build (latest as of this post).

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Anyone knows how I can use the Topaz-8 font with the latest windows SDL experimental version from the DDA site? the fixedsys font looks really crap but the build runs much better for me.

Put Topaz-8.ttf in the font file then edit FONTDATA to look like it used too.

Now for my own question, how do you use bottles of disinfectant? I tried just activating it when I had a bite wound and the bandage style location menu popped up, but I couldn't tell were my bite wound was so I just guessed and it did nothing. I am still using GoonDA 0.2 (where is 0.3 Jon!).

Wow, that new build does run really well.

Riolith fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 11, 2013

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
^^^ Maybe I am just blind. I hope it works because my guy gets pissed when I have him cauterize his bite wounds.

PiCroft posted:

Okay, I got it so you can (a)ctivate a knife, select "cut plastic" and select a plastic bottle to get chunks of plastic which you can then use in conjunction with sewing kits to reinforce any clothing that has a plastic or kevlar material tag.

Is this how it works for fur item as well? I haven't tried in a while but I recall being surprised I couldn't reinforce a fur trench-coat one time.

Speaking of trench-coats, what determines if you are waterproof or not? I swear in one game I was fine with a trench-coat and an army helmet and in my next game I was not.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't really work well. Text ends up having huge spacing between each letter, making it really hard to read.
Any other way?

You need to use a font that is actually intended to be square, such as Topaz-8 or cootue_curses_square_16x16. Its a bit harder to read then normal font, but you get used to it and makes the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
I find that putting a point in mechanics so you can make a crowbar right off the bat helps a lot.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
Can someone explain to me exactly how the "moves per attack" stat on on weapons work? I know its related to the weapons speed, but is it effected by skill at all? Will a 50 moves per attack weapon be exactly twice as fast as a 100 moves per attack weapon? If this is anywhere on the terrible wiki I must be blind.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
So a flask of mutagen on GDA-0.35 seems to have given me a purifier proof Bad Back, is this a bug or intended? Is there some way for me to cheat it off?

Edit: It seems using the debug menu to re apply Bad Back gets rid of it.

Riolith fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 25, 2013

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Daktar posted:

Ah, hold on, are plastic chunks in GDA 0.35? I use my scissors on plastic bottles and I don't get anything, and if I try to use my soldering iron I just get a message about not needing to cauterize my wounds.

Yes they are, but for some reason you still need to use the sewing kit to repair plastic items in GDA 0.35. As far as getting the plastic chunks, have you tried using a knife? So far I have repaired a pair of safety glasses, but have been unable to reinforce anything. Even with 21 plastic chunks I kept getting "you don't have enough plastic chunks to do that." I have also been unable to reinforce anything made of fur, which is a shame since Winter Is Coming and I would like to use a fur trench-coat.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

PiCroft posted:

What volume value were shelter kits in GDA previously? They are 40 at the moment which is pretty big and I assume what it was before Jon fixed it.

In GDA 0.35 they are 20 weight and volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Bilal posted:

Diseases are tough in this game. I got a fungal infection and after I chilled in my shelter for days and days to see if it would go away fungal stalks shooting out of my arms and breaking them every day isn't fun I finally had to check the wiki and cheat in the item I needed to cure it.

That particular disease is a bit of a special case. For frost bite, you should be able to cure it by warming the affected body part up.