Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Hunting needs to be made more realistic. Make animals much harder to spot and more likely run away before you can even get close enough to see them. Throwing rocks at squirrels feels way too cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

this game is fun. also why cant you craft your own wool socks when there are loving knitting needles already in the game?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Holy poo poo i killed a hulk that was just hanging out inside a hardware store. shot him 5 times in the head with buckshot . my last guy died from 2 hulk punches trying to fight one of them with a knife. my character use the escrima style but i still carry two handguns and a shotgun everywhere i go because. also when i go into the forest to do stuff there i keep hearing explosions.

this game is amazing.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

welp i survived 32 days and i died because i fell into a sinkhole wearing mostly nomex kevlar and leather so i couldnt make a 30 ft long rope to get out of there.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

get punched so you fly through the window and run for your life?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

i heard the next version was pretty close with stuff like slings for longarms and every one of your backpacks having their own inventory? or is that just bs

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

they should make it so that melee weapons have chance to break because once you have like 3 in cutting weapons you can wield your katana like a hatchet without it breaking.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

nftyw posted:

If you go to a shopping mall and go around slicing up zombies there for awhile you will find your weapon degrading as you chop through the waves. It's not really a problem though since with mechanics you can just take a common as poo poo soldering iron and some scrap metal and bend it back into place. It's not like resources are scarce either, you can make a decent array of melee stuff once you get yourself settled in.

exept if you have cutting weapon 3 or higher that doesnt actually happen

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

i havent built a tank yet but basic cars and bikes are really easy to build if you can find a torch lying around somewhere

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

they added a lot of new items and recipes. also a tailoring kit that lets you reinforce any item of clothing with kevlar and leather without any other drawback than being a huge resource sink

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

i think its really really entertaining how they sometimes talk about this game and realism in the same sentence over on the cdda forums

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What!? They took out the vibrator? How will I survive with out a 20 pound plutonium powered massager?

its still in the game and its on github https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/data/json/items/tools.json

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

starting guide: take all the points in dexterity and the ballroom dancer background because it gives you two levels in dodge (very hard skill to level from 0 and incredibly useful for survival). take fast learner if you want to cut grinding in half. kill some zombies to raise your skills and see if you find something useful like a runner pack or other 0 encumberment bag, a pair of boots is much more easy to find but also very useful, maybe some decent gloves. if you have to retreat to the shelter then take some drink with you and grind your tailoring until you can sleep. when you have tailoring at 2 or 3 you can start using it on good clothing you find to both fix them and grind your skill fairly safely( something complex and/or very damaged can break though).

Grind survival picking through bushes and you will also find eggs and other decent food stuffs. get a pair of gallon jugs so you can use a fire to clean water. look for vitamins and take them a few times per day so you avoid colds (they are really annoying but can be almost completely avoided this way)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

labs are so hard i havent been to the bottom of them yet even with a character that can clear out a whole mall without taking any damage

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Drunk in Space posted:

Does damage to ranged weapons, e.g. firearms, lower their ranged effectiveness, or is it just for their use in melee?

recoil goes up chance to hit goes down.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

fast learner is amazing it boosts skill learning at an increadible rate

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

fast learner gets you high level tailoring really easy and that brings 100+ volume clothing so backmule becomes useless because weight is a way bigger issue at that point.

also biker is the best start because you have a trench knife and decent protection so you can just run into a zombie hellhole the second the game starts without doing any of that lovely planning or preperation stuff that makes the game not fun

esquilax posted:

I cheat my driving up to 4 because I don't want to grind the driving skill by riding a bike in circles for 30 minutes. I highly recommend this.

the random crashing into stuff brought on by having a lovely driving skill is a lot more fun than having 0 skill in any of the other disicplines (also biker starts with 4 driving)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Potshots with an accurate rifle from a long way away. SMG turrets have a range of about 25 squares; rifle a fair bit longer. Anti-materiel, well, just ram it with a really loving armoured car.

Also, did you know if you use hacking tools on the entrance to a military bunker, turrets emerge and kill you instantly??? I didn't!!!

shotguns are cool because they kill turrets before they put 20 rounds of 556 through your torso at point blank range. if you have a shotgun and an electro hack you can start taking down bunkers safely, if the locks inside break from hacking attempts you will need a acy torch though. i have never tried with a military id card because the shotgun method works so well.

for blockades use a rifle , most turrets wont shoot until you are something like 14 squares from them, at that range they wont really hurt you even if they start shooting because most shots will miss.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

OwlFancier posted:

Lab cards are generally more common than military IDs by a good margin. Most dead scientists will have lab cards but few military corpses will have IDs.

You can often find them in toxic waste dumps however.

military outposts have cards on almost every corpse but you need to kill at ton of turrets at range to get near them so it might not be worth it unless you have good long range firepower availible

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

careful and precise are just hotkeys for spending a certain amount of time on aiming i think. its the same as before they just made it more transparent but they did add more recoil to every weapon.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

so i made a guy that had a mansion just outside the shelter. inside the first room in the mansion i find a nodachi lying on a shelf. inside the town after like 3 days i find michael jackson, i run through the dancers and hack him to pieces and then the 20 hulks punch me through like 2 cars and 3 buildings before i die.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

also the town had this pile of atleast 30 cop cars smashed into a single lump of car almost the size of my screen (i play with a tileset where the red and blue lights on top of the cop cars have their own tile so it is really easy to count the number of cars)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9757.0

i like the 0.C Cooper ( WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS NAME WHAT THE HELL) version because im lazy and cant be bothered to download nighly builds. pressing > and <to swap target does crash my game and sometimes destroy my save file so i had to stop doing that but besides that ive never had a single crash (RIP)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

you want armor with 100% coverage if you want to wade through machinegun fire or minefields.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

All of GDA got merged in.

Including the things goons like to bitch about, like bondage gear.

why do people bitch about fetish gear? its a key component of the apocalypse

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

acy torch is the easiest and fasted way besides having enough hacking skill

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

you know that you can use a knife and a lighter to cauterize wounds to avoid infections right?

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

i mean its the opposite of how cauterization works in real life where unless you have chemicals to clean the wound before you apply the hot metal bit you will increase the chance of the wound becoming infected to roughly 100% due to the heated flesh being prime breeding ground for bacteria.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

30 or so pain doesnt really kill you?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

its better to use medical supplies but in the first few days you dont always have those. Being infected without having medical supplies leaves you with a very low chance of survival unless you can cure it, curing the infection can have you healing for several days depending on what you did to cure the infection.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That actually makes me wonder how many child zombies you have to murder before you stop feeling guilty about it if ever (could have sworn that was something somebody put in somewhere down the line).

its 100

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

The Lone Badger posted:

You need the right book to craft Serums. Only found in labs.
You can learn some fighting styles by raiding Dojos for books. Also supposedly Boxing Gyms but I've never seen one. Also using the programmed-martial-arts bionic for long enough in combat has a chance to teach you the bionic combat style.
I think the garment you need is the Long Patchwork Scarf (or long fur scarf etc).

you can also find style books in mansions and military outposts.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

i want a mod that removes michael jackson zombies and granades

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

it turns you into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

skill rust on without fast learner just makes crafting too annoying to deal with

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

adderall shouldnt be addictive. irl you can be on it for a year and then quit for a month without noticeable withdrawal effects. you can build a pretty decent tolerance though

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

carry a shotgun so you dont die to lab turrets

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

im playing the E stable version. where do i go to try the nested inventory system? in the older versions you could put soldering irons, sewing kits and multitools into holsters but in version E most of the holsters have pistol only flags, i played a bunch back in version cooper and i really miss how holsters used to work (and how absurdly broken tailoring was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

wonder if that works on my 2 weeks old build?

edit: it doesnt???

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2020