Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I was about to adamantly disagree with you, having just lost my first really successful character to having their arms explode while blind, but now I realize that I'm playing on a version that's a year out of date.

Edit:
I was immediately eaten by a shark.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Oh wow thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for! Time to do some wacky poo poo

Game knew what I was about to do and gave me an amazing start....time to read up on boats

I'm in a similar situation, I want to make a really cool boat. An amphibious vehicle would be cool too, but mostly a boat.

Anyone have some good reference ideas that are known to work? I'd hate to make some cool thing and it won't float.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vib Rib posted:

I think you can go under bridges now?

You can! They figured out z-levels for vehicles at some point between stable and the current experimental release.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

I wonder if there are any plans for structures spawning underwater a few z levels down

It might be from Aftershock, but there's water research labs that go underwater and you can swim out of.

There's explicitly plans to do more:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/43390

quote:

Purpose of change
Adding more underwater stuff to support additional underwater features and locations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Telsa Cola posted:

Do note that map features like Triffid Groves, Fungal Towers, Ant nests, slime pits and whatever I forgot to mention contain monsters that will cause random spawns of monsters or their type until they are killed. So if you want to wipe out an ant infestation you need to kill the Queen.

Are there any other notable renewable resources?

I was thinking about figuring out how to get eggs from ants, and if they regenerate, that'd be great news.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Oh, there's a fungal tower near a road. I assumed fungaloids were unusable for food like zombies, but that must not be true.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm still pretty new, and I don't know what map-gen looks like in general, especially if you zoom out.

But one thing I noticed is that if you do Magiclysm with the island tower start, it tends to create a gigantic lake.
Do those mega-lakes exist normally?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I've fiddled around with debug mode and boats and it seems like there's actually some pretty realistic benefits for going big.

If I can find a way to turn off fatigue, I'd be tempted to write out the stats for various sizes and dimensions. Even though a big boat is heavier, less is below the waterline, which means less friction and higher efficiency.

On a related note, I've had some difficulty with using cameras to get better vision around my vehicle, often ending with me only being able to see the right side of the vehicle. Anyone know if there's a trick to getting them to work?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Is it possible to build boats with an engine or are you restricted to rowing?

You definitely can add an engine.

From what I can tell, engines don't connect to wheels in any way, the engine's power just gives the vehicle movement speed by being installed and fuelled/powered.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The game also gets weird about determining internal vs external as the vehicle gets bigger, so that might be something going wrong.

I think that might be it, because I can see inside the vehicle from a control panel that normally wouldn't be able to see inside that part.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Well are there "wheels " for boats outside of the oars then? :v:

If I could build a serious boat that I don't have to move myself then I would be much more inclined to do such a thing. And there are a lot of options for the engine tbh. Could even go with solar/steam if you don't want the usual

Boats don't need wheels. They just need to displace enough volume.

I feel like there aren't any really good guides on how to make a boat from scratch, so give me a little time and I'll try to get some screenshots.
Are you on experimental build? That might make a difference.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Boat post!

This one was just for fun, built in debug mode to see what I could get it to do. The various chairs are to test cameras and turret control from various points. Still figuring stuff out, but I thought it was kinda neat.

No mods, just DDA and a tileset

I'm going to start with wooden frames. These take 5 planks, 20 nails each.
With better equipment, you might want to just start ripping apart cars, especially solar/electric ones.
I can go into more detail on how to get frames, but I'll presume that the reader knows how to craft stuff.

Tools required: 1 toolbox + hand drill or cordless drill, + welding goggles/mask and either an acetylene torch or an arc welder. You only need to weld one thing, so it won't take a ton of fuel.

Use construct terrain (default "*") to begin
Start Vehicle Construction: Requires 1 frame of any type nearby.
Give your boat a name, and examine it. You should enter the vehicle menu and see something like this:

Ensuring that the frame is selected, press "i," to install, then "/" to filter. type "hull" and press enter to see all the hulls. We'll need any one of these.
Carbon fiber is best I think, but you need to rip apart kayaks to get it.
I'll go with wooden boat hull for now, metal may end up easier depending on what's available for you.
Requires 20 nails, and 1 wood boat hull which we will have to craft normally.

wood boat hulls take 5 planks, 30 nails. Tools: Hammer(2) and Wood Sawing(1)

New attributes:

Now let's get some crap from a car:
You'll need Bold Turning(2)

Rem(o)ve the alternator and engine, then the gas tank.
You'll probably want two gas tanks because it has to be empty when you install.
You'll also want to remove the controls, which may require removing a security system. Try other cars if you have trouble with that.

Install controls, a wooden chair or seat, engine, vehicle tank, and hull all onto the boat.
re(f)uel the tank with gasoline.

Have to take a break, but here's a drivable minimal boat:

I'll see if I can put this on the wiki or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Wow, thanks for the informative boat treatise. Gonna build me that mini boat

Also I'm getting a little tired of the temp scale - wearing literally anything overheats you in the summer. When it's 67f outside.

I had to skip a few steps, make sure you install a battery, and an alternator is a good idea to charge the battery.

You also might need a jack to lift the engine if your strength isn't high.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Now I'm thinking about megamalls that have roller coasters in them and wondering if the rail system could be tweaked to make a coaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I haven't actually messed with cars much, but if you don't plan to stay on the road, you'll need a lot of wheels

https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/does-it-make-sense-to-put-more-than-4-wheels-on-an-advanced-armored-car/21258/3