Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Another DDA improvement is context menus in the inventory. Most of the weird poo poo that you can do to items is now accomplishable b opening the inventory, hitting the item's key, and seeing what's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

It's always a crapshoot with me whether or not I can get a reliable source of water. Then if I do manage it I usually get YASD. Vehicle physics argh

Also, what's the deal with electric cars? They need to be fed batteries to work? Or, if they have solar panels + storage batteries, do you just need to wait around while it's sunny? Because I keep coming on solar panel+storage battery cars with 0 or 2% charge which doesn't make much sense, and if I use them they don't seem to actually regenerate.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I just got the craziest start for this character. Two shelters right near each other. A nearby mansion and cabin, each isolated in the woods. A nearby tiny town consisting of four houses, a liquor store, a library, a church, a gas station, and a grocery store. All cleaned out now, as are the zombies. I have a hot plate and a water purifier and a pickup. I started exploring the very few roads and found a couple farms, one with a welder and some military corpses; a LMOE shelter though it wasn't that great; more gas stations; a FEMA camp and a hospital both of which I'm scared to approach. Thanks to the gas station snacks I have all the fletching I'll ever need.

This is awesome.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The big problem with archery currently is that it goes up when you make arrows. Way way too much. You can break all the benches in the shelter and make like a thousand field point arrows the instant you load the game and walk out of the shelter with like archery 3. It's kinda of a problem.

Also food requirements are kinda high. Water requirements I like but the food thing is crazy. It should be calibrated IMO so that two or three MREs feeds you for a day just fine - each of those has 1200 calories in them sooooo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Awww, that guy died to a vehicle physics bug :( That should probably get sorted out.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

So you guys who are eating only beef jerky know that food that comes in plastic bags can be 'U'nloaded right? And that it just drops the food that you unloaded from the container into your inventory, where it seems to keep just as well?

e: One of the big things I like about Cataclysm is the pop-up menu thing they've got going in the inventory. It's so much easier to bring up an item's menu and be presented with options than ahve to remember about 50 different arcane keys for everything under the sun.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Nevets posted:

Don't waste build points on Archery 3, you can smash a fridge on day one to get a rubber hose and build a slingshot, then grind out the first few levels plinking wild game with pebbles.

Another way to grind archery/throwing is to dig a few pits in a checkerboard pattern and lure a zombie through them. When he falls into one you've got more than a few turns to pelt him before he can climb out. Then move through the field again so he falls back in chasing you and repeat.

I also had an idea for crafting:

Many recipes either take a long time and could really be left unattended during most of it, or they take no time at all and really should. I wonder if the 'rotting' system could be adapted to allow unattended crafting. For example, with the stills being discussed you could craft a still, # rotten fruits, fuel/hotplate into a 'still (working)'. That item would rot into a 'still (finished)', which then could be crafted back into the original tools and the finished product.

The problem with archery is and always has been that crafting ammunition/weapons trains the weapons skill. You can spend your first day smashing all the benches in the shelter and making arrows and walk out with a longbow and some field-point arrows, ready to do some damage, having never loosed a single shot. It's kinda dumb. Making arrows shouldn't jack your archery like that - or, maybe it could, but only to a certain point.

In fact, this is something that annoys me a bit in general. All sorts of menial tasks can arbitrarily raise whatever skills they're associated with. The problem isn't that they're associated with those skills, it's that they can raise them arbitrarily. And that doesn't make sense. Welding shut all the holes in your car's body shouldn't suddenly make you able to build an RV cooking unit - it should only make you better at welding shut holes. In the absence of a more granular skill system, what it should do is only be able to raise your mechanics to, say, 4. Making a shitton of arrows with hardened wood points shouldn't suddenly make you able to make a reflex recurve bow and headshot zombies all day - it should raise your skill enough to give you a brainwave of "maybe I should put feathers on the rear end end of this thing!", aka a level or two only. Cap it out with skillbooks.

The other thing is, and I'm not sure if this can be fixed at all, is that it feels like skills cap out too low in terms of active bonuses / recipes known / whatever. I know that adding more content is a pain and likely to be unbalanced, but the thing is that a lot of skills can be raised pretty much arbitrarily and after a while you just stop caring. Oh, my archery is at 15 now, I'm 5% more likely to hit. Great. Boring. Let me make sweet mods to, like, everything. Let my radiation-enhanced skill or whatever allow me to somehow make a bow out of paper. Or chitin. Let me make literally everything out of chitin. Chitin plates for my cars. A chitin bow. Fuckin chitin power armo- I'll stop.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The problem with the crafting raising skill is what would you have that'd make you better at mechanics? Welding and fixing a car certainly should make you more mechanically inclined. Why wouldn't fixing junked cars make you good at figuring out how to weld a hotplate to a sink and run some piping for water? Sure, it doesn't make much sense that building lots of arrows makes you better at shooting, but it certainly would mean you make better arrows. I'd imagine that can be abstracted into your skill. (You actually make straight arrows now, which is why you hit more, not that you make lots of arrows and suddenly got better aim.) The other problem is what fun does slower skill gain add. Do you guys really want to spend days standing outside the shelter shooting the same spot over and over for archery practice to get skilled enough to not miss all the time?

See, I think that it should work pretty much like xp in most games: doing easy stuff doesn't help you as much. Shooting at trees might raise your archery to 3. But to get it higher you're gonna have to find a moving target, like a squirrel. Then a hostile target, like a coyote. Then something inherently scary, like a zombie, and so on. For mechanics, changing tires only gets you so good at things. Want to learn how to do really cool poo poo? Make the things that are at the edge of your skill level.

The basic point is that in cataclysm, as of right now with there only being sandbox mode, you're almost never forced into combat. That means that you're not forced into challenges. That in my opinion is bad: there hours always be something intrinsic to the game mechanics driving you to do cool poo poo, and I think this sort of crafting would accomplish that.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Are there reinforced glass panels you can find? Because they might be cool too.

Also, one of the most annoying things about vehicles to me is that it pops up that "do you want to get something from the box?" question every time to you walk on a floor trunk. It's the only box in the game that does. I would much rather just walk over them and use / to interact.

Also I wish the rv kitchen didn't need CLEAN water. It seems like it's pretty unnecessary - by the time you get one you're usually perfectly able to boil a shitton of water, especially since you have an rv kitchen unit right there, but it's already tedious to fill it up period due to the relative size of jerrycans and adding boiling all that water one unit at a time just sucks.

Is anyone else having problems with the game auto reassigning items to characters that are already assigned?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I've just been playing0.9 and every time the second day dawns there's a bear outside my shelter... Is that guaranteed or something? Because gently caress bears in te early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Coolguye posted:

which basically means you should be using a smaller denomination to begin with to avoid floating-point arithmetic, which is slow, sometimes unreliable, and generally awful on computers. even in the one tenth of one cent example, the way you'd model that is to just go int centiCents; //this represents one tenth of one cent per unit and go from there.

Good lord no this is just an argument to use double precision. This code is running on a big boy computer it can do big boy math.