Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Whoa, I got an email from the interviewer I had before Thanksgiving. She apologized for the delay and asked for a phone meeting tomorrow afternoon to "update me".

I had basically given up on hearing back from them, but assume they're not wanting to have a call just to tell me no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

life is killing me posted:

It may be just the general “blah” feeling about the prospect of working for Zucc

I'm sure the spider that pilots the Zucc-shaped robot is quite charming in person.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Whoa, I got an email from the interviewer I had before Thanksgiving. She apologized for the delay and asked for a phone meeting tomorrow afternoon to "update me".

I had basically given up on hearing back from them, but assume they're not wanting to have a call just to tell me no.
I bet their first round of candidates all rejected the job. :v:

But in all seriousness, 2 weeks is completely insignificant in hiring processes. Could be anything or nothing.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dik Hz posted:

I bet their first round of candidates all rejected the job. :v:

But in all seriousness, 2 weeks is completely insignificant in hiring processes. Could be anything or nothing.

Especially when there's been a holiday in there.

I guess what got me was a change from really prompt communication to radio silence combined with a general feeling the interview didn't go great. I'm presently surprised, but had given up hope.

Am I assessing correctly that the two options are calling me back for a third interview or making an offer?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Am I assessing correctly that the two options are calling me back for a third interview or making an offer?
Probably. They wouldn't call if you weren't in the running.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m supposed to be getting an invitation to company indoc for Tuesday, have yet to receive anything. How long do I wait before I ask about this? I asked about toolbox and tools, they thought I was asking about Paycom (lol). From what I understand (it hasn’t been explicitly said) I don’t need to buy and bring a tool chest and tools until after the training, the duration of which I don’t know. They are really stingy on information if you don’t ask, and I’ve dealt with probably no fewer than like six different HR people. But hey…I have a company email now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A funny bellwether I noticed. When the market is tighter this thread is a lot more people looking for advice on resumes and how to get noticed. When it's looser, like right now, it's a lot more advice on interviews, and even right now its advice on 2nd or 3rd interviews.

Cool to see but I'm going to go write up an economics paper on a dying forum.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

life is killing me posted:

I’m supposed to be getting an invitation to company indoc for Tuesday, have yet to receive anything. How long do I wait before I ask about this? I asked about toolbox and tools, they thought I was asking about Paycom (lol). From what I understand (it hasn’t been explicitly said) I don’t need to buy and bring a tool chest and tools until after the training, the duration of which I don’t know. They are really stingy on information if you don’t ask, and I’ve dealt with probably no fewer than like six different HR people. But hey…I have a company email now?

You were hired? I'd ask today then and on Monday be kinda freaking out calling around.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

You were hired? I'd ask today then and on Monday be kinda freaking out calling around.

I was hired, yes. I signed the formal offer earlier this week and since then it’s been onboarding only Paycom and signing stuff while getting access to stuff that means nothing to me just yet. I almost posted that here but wasn’t sure if it belonged ITT. I initially asked this week what the next steps were once I’d completed all the onboarding, and an HR EA said she’d be sending out invites soon to indoc. But they don’t have a minimum tool list for me which I now assume I should get in indoc (I hope).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

They called me just to tell me that they went with someone else.

What an emotional rollercoaster.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Aw man. I’m sorry to hear that 😔

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Leon Sumbitches posted:

At least they told you. Way too many people on both sides are just ghosting people these days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I had that happen once. It seems to mean that there was literally just a hair between you and the person that got it, and they want to keep you sweet just in case that dude gets a better offer or ghosts them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arquinsiel posted:

I had that happen once. It seems to mean that there was literally just a hair between you and the person that got it, and they want to keep you sweet just in case that dude gets a better offer or ghosts them.

It being very close is often why they ghost candidates. Don't want to tell them no.

I have a hard "let everyone know" rule I follow whe hiring, but I have definitely had candidates I've slow rolled because they were late in the process and someone qualified was in process when they applied. I won't tell a really good person no until a week after that new person starts so could easily be 3 weeks that are like good phone interview, radio silence 1.5 weeks, 2nd (final) interview scheduled 2-3 weeks out. Usually we lose them in this process but we've had people start and be gone in one week before.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Posted in here a while ago about putting together a resume to line up a job and I've gone through a few interviews the past three weeks or so for an engineering research position (lining up a job for after my defense so this will be my first time in an industry position). First four went pretty great I feel - met the hiring manager and the members of his team (virtually), but had an interview with some people in an adjacent team that works with them today that really grilled me hard on some technical questions and I kind of froze up on one or two of them. For those of you who are in hiring positions, how do you feel about someone who might not answer questions to your satisfaction in a technical question following up with you in the thank-you-for-the-interview email?

I have another two interviews scheduled with them (jeez is this what all large companies are like?) in the next two weeks and now I'm just gonna be thinking about how I bombed this one

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't try to answer the question later. It comes off poorly and just calls attention to any misses you might have had. I don't know if I posted it here or in another thread but in an interview it's far better to highlight strengths than try to mitigate weaknesses.

Something like "I was interested in xyz you mentioned and did some looking up about it" can look good but honestly the decision has almost certainly been made one way or another at this point.

Also don't sweat too much missing some questions, I always try to push a candidate to get a feel for boundaries. A good takeaway is how to answer when you don't know something. Never BS and don't fish. I think the best answer is usually an honest "I am not sure" and maybe a brief "if I had to guess then I'd say xyz" (of you think you have a good guess) and then a brief "here is how I'd find out". Don't stretch it out and don't try to salvage something with a tap dance, but also don't freeze or just mumble.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I sure do love being interviewed by Harvard finance bro VC types, particularly when they don’t understand the purpose of an A/B test and are incredibly condescending about it

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

skipdogg posted:

At least they told you. Way too many people on both sides are just ghosting people these days.
I'm not a fan of the 'both sides' poo poo when there's a big power disparity.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

Great people on both sides

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

Look at it this way then. Someone ghosting a job offer is significantly delaying the runner up from getting the job offer, which sucks for them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Doom Rooster posted:

Look at it this way then. Someone ghosting a job offer is significantly delaying the runner up from getting the job offer, which sucks for them.

That's a pretty contrived way to make the job seeker into the bad guy. Also, they are literally competing for the job. They don't owe each other poo poo.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Labor solidarity :mad:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have an interview this week. I’m gonna do my best.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What are the thoughts here about follow-up emails after a second interview? A week has passed, and I know they are interviewing other candidates.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You get one unsolicited follow-up email. Use it wisely.

(I wouldn't use it yet. A week in December is nothing in the corporate world.)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I agree a week is nothing in the corporate world, especially December. Id wait until the 2nd week of the new year to follow up if its a big company. But, if you're working with a recruiter Id let them do the pestering.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a sleepy nonprofit, I don't think it's a big month for them at all, quite the opposite.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Shipon posted:

Posted in here a while ago about putting together a resume to line up a job and I've gone through a few interviews the past three weeks or so for an engineering research position (lining up a job for after my defense so this will be my first time in an industry position). First four went pretty great I feel - met the hiring manager and the members of his team (virtually), but had an interview with some people in an adjacent team that works with them today that really grilled me hard on some technical questions and I kind of froze up on one or two of them. For those of you who are in hiring positions, how do you feel about someone who might not answer questions to your satisfaction in a technical question following up with you in the thank-you-for-the-interview email?

I have another two interviews scheduled with them (jeez is this what all large companies are like?) in the next two weeks and now I'm just gonna be thinking about how I bombed this one
Well worrying about that was pretty premature - the hiring manager called me today to tell me he's having the recruiter put together a formal offer next week for a start date in June or so, so looks like I got the job - just have to finish my thesis and defend it now. That interview sure did give me some things to think about though so I'm kind of glad in retrospect they grilled me there.

Super glad, this is the kind of position I've been aiming to do since I started grad school and it's with a really big company in the field. Now I guess i have to figure out the whole negotiation thing huh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's a sleepy nonprofit, I don't think it's a big month for them at all, quite the opposite.

tons of people may be taking time off at various inconvenient times

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Does anyone have any non-generic tips for an interview with a presentation aspect? Doing my first of those on Monday and will spend some time over the weekend to put together a deck for it.

I need to do a 15 minute presentation with the subject "Describe what your first 100 days in [ORGANISATION], and what success would look like". This is for a senior management position in the operations side of a non-profit in the EU attached to the regulation side of the pharma industry. Trying to stay as generic as possible for reasons.

So far I'm thinking this:
The first 100 days is somewhat straight forward and I'll structure it as a 30/60/90 based on the job description and the research I have and will do into the organisation.
I will do two aspects of the success piece, outlining what success would look like for me personally and for the organisation in the 100 day period and add in a bit around how success would look in the medium-long term for the projects I would take on as well.

Am I at risk of being too generic, or is that expected in these types of interview?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Baggins posted:

Does anyone have any non-generic tips for an interview with a presentation aspect? Doing my first of those on Monday and will spend some time over the weekend to put together a deck for it.

I need to do a 15 minute presentation with the subject "Describe what your first 100 days in [ORGANISATION], and what success would look like". This is for a senior management position in the operations side of a non-profit in the EU attached to the regulation side of the pharma industry. Trying to stay as generic as possible for reasons.

The first 100 days is somewhat straight forward and I'll structure it as a 30/60/90 based on the job description and the research I have and will do into the organisation.
I will do two aspects of the success piece, outlining what success would look like for me personally and for the organisation in the 100 day period and add in a bit around how success would look in the medium-long term for the projects I would take on as well.

Am I at risk of being too generic, or is that expected in these types of interview?
wtf? I wouldn't expect an entry level person to be successful in 100 days, let alone a senior manager. They'd still be learning the processes and power centers in that time frame.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
success could look like "understanding the organization and power centers" given that they have asked the candidate what success would look like to them over 100 days

this is a pretty common and good way of weeding out* people who are insane egomaniacs and think they can do everything instantly

*or to have your organization hire those people because it is dysfunctional

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

wtf? I wouldn't expect an entry level person to be successful in 100 days, let alone a senior manager. They'd still be learning the processes and power centers in that time frame.

This is a pretty common interview "thing" at that position, esp at non-tech places. You never actually do the things in a presentation like that.

Baggins posted:

Don't be too generic. It's a senior management role so they expect some boldness. Not to say you should be saying you're going to disrupting the regulation industry, but I would lean heavier into how you're going to lay groundwork for future projects or improvements. Splitting up into "personal, organizational" is probably fine, but don't spend too much time on personal. Make sure to hit the why's. "I want to understand the teams strengths" Why? What long term change or improvement are you looking to accomplish by doing that? That sorta thing.

Basically take this chance to build up that you won't just be a empty suit. If it's operations I'd guess they would be looking for things that lower overhead and increase operating efficiency, so leaning into things like automation or better vendor rates would go over well, but I'd trust your own opinions on what they want over mine.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baggins posted:

Take with big grain of salt as I run a small company and was an IC at large companies. I live in the US and have never worked at a non profit.

If I gave this to a senior manager, I'd want to see that they have some specific domain knowledge and that they've seen some common challenges of orgs like ours. This would likely help me weed out who has no idea what it's like to be in this role, who is going to make choices that may be problems in our culture/industry, and other risks you get with hiring outside managers. So, yes, being too generic is a risk if this is the intent.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Unfortunately, I didn't get the role, but I'm left feeling positive about the whole experience. The feedback was good, but they had a more experienced candidate.

It essentially proves to me that I'm on the cusp of making the move from middle to senior management, I just need to work on a few core skills and cast the net a bit wider in terms of building relationships.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Baggins posted:

Unfortunately, I didn't get the role, but I'm left feeling positive about the whole experience. The feedback was good, but they had a more experienced candidate.

It essentially proves to me that I'm on the cusp of making the move from middle to senior management, I just need to work on a few core skills and cast the net a bit wider in terms of building relationships.

Nice, that's some good take aways. That next step is as much about fit as it is skills, but having the confidence and knowing some of the common expectations helps a lot.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

Nice, that's some good take aways. That next step is as much about fit as it is skills, but having the confidence and knowing some of the common expectations helps a lot.
Yeah, at that level you wouldn't even get the interview if you didn't have the skills, imo.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
How early is too early to start applying to jobs?

I've been at my company for my career up to this point, a little over 3 years now, but I changed roles about 2.5 years in, so I've only been in my new role since June. My old role (manuf process engineer) was very relevant to my new one though (product engineer at a semiconductor company). I like my new role a lot and I'd like to keep working in something similar to my new role in a different geo, preferably in the bay area or socal to be a little closer to family. And I'm not stuck training at my new job either, I onboarded quickly so I actually have things I could talk about on my resume. But I'm a little worried that applying next year, even after hitting 1 year at the new role in mid-2022, might spook employers? I've always had the impression of 2 years being a good number to try to hit, but I'm not sure how it looks when it comes to internal role changes.

I'm not in any rush as long as I'm gone in 2023, but if 2022 is also viable to start making moves then I need to start getting ready. Especially since the market seems to be really hot (my entire org got an out-of-cycle pay raise because of that). I do have a sabbatical at work I'm eligible for in a few months that is also on my mind, basically 4 weeks vacation on top of all my normal vacation. I wouldn't mind taking that time off for some summer backpacking, but if I qualify and haven't taken it then I think I could at least leverage it as a signing bonus. I'm not so sure I can leverage it if I leave before I qualify though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What are you hoping for with a move, more salary? Are there other factors?

A 4 week vacation is worth 8% of your salary in time, so maybe factor that into any move as well as that is essentially what you are giving up (whether that sabbatical is worth 8% to you is a different thing).

In General, I'd say if you made a diagonal move like that, as a new employer I'd want to see a year in the role. I'd be a little suspicious about someone trying to jump ship so quickly, thus you might be limited to only those firms who are a bit more desperate. You might end up stuck in a worse situation. Now, I don't know your industry so that may be too much or too little time, but I'd say generally that is probably a good rule of thumb.

If I were you I'd probably take that sabbatical, get to the 1 year mark, then be aggressive, as then you'd have a good argument not be be junior in the next role. A 4 week paid hiking trip is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Until then maybe keep an eye if there's anything that pops but maybe only go after jobs that look really amazing. This is assuming your looking for like a 15-20% pay jump with the next role. If you are paid way under market and a new job would be a significant quality of life jump, in which case that changes the math quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Lockback posted:

What are you hoping for with a move, more salary? Are there other factors?

Being closer to family is a nice reason (and definitely the one I'll give to managers/coworkers if I leave) but salary is a strong motivator as well. Those are the two main factors for me. I was lateraled over to move and although I'm making more now thanks to the pay adjustment a few weeks ago, it's even more clear to me that it's an underpay (as in, I was underpaid to begin with due to the lateral move, and then I was underpaid again since the entire job code needed a pay raise due to the hot market). My estimate is that I am being underpaid 10-15% within my own company already, so I'm thinking moving would be closer to 20-25% or more. I'm not too hung up on it since my long term plan was to use this role to transition out of process engineering, it would have been much harder to consider moving had I not been in this new role first.

Also, moving elsewhere makes a lot of sense because I haven't settled down yet, I actually have close to 0 ties to where I'm currently living. I can move really easily, so I might as well cast a wide net instead of looking around locally.

Lockback posted:

A 4 week vacation is worth 8% of your salary in time, so maybe factor that into any move as well as that is essentially what you are giving up (whether that sabbatical is worth 8% to you is a different thing).

In General, I'd say if you made a diagonal move like that, as a new employer I'd want to see a year in the role. I'd be a little suspicious about someone trying to jump ship so quickly, thus you might be limited to only those firms who are a bit more desperate. You might end up stuck in a worse situation. Now, I don't know your industry so that may be too much or too little time, but I'd say generally that is probably a good rule of thumb.

If I were you I'd probably take that sabbatical, get to the 1 year mark, then be aggressive, as then you'd have a good argument not be be junior in the next role. A 4 week paid hiking trip is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Until then maybe keep an eye if there's anything that pops but maybe only go after jobs that look really amazing. This is assuming your looking for like a 15-20% pay jump with the next role. If you are paid way under market and a new job would be a significant quality of life jump, in which case that changes the math quite a bit.

Yeah that's what I was thinking to begin with, if I were to apply in 2022 then after the sabbatical makes sense - so basically hitting the applications starting October and through the rest of the year (although the end of year timing kind of stinks). The hiking trip would be really nice to take, especially since the timing would be right at peak backpacking season, and it's just after that 1 year mark too. My QOL isn't bad right now, I'm not struggling or anything so the move isn't urgent. But I see moving as the only path forward for actual advancement, I don't see any reason for my current place to start trying to bridge the gap created when I lateraled over.

cerious fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 23, 2021