Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

johnny sack posted:

Do people really feel that strongly about a neatly groomed beard?

Are you perfectly confident that it's going to be perfectly groomed - I don't mean neatly, I mean perfectly - 100% of the time when you're working or in any way associated with the company?

Alright now are you perfectly confident that this guy you just met is going to keep his beard perfectly groomed 100% of the time for the next five or ten years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

FrozenVent posted:

Are you perfectly confident that it's going to be perfectly groomed - I don't mean neatly, I mean perfectly - 100% of the time when you're working or in any way associated with the company?

Alright now are you perfectly confident that this guy you just met is going to keep his beard perfectly groomed 100% of the time for the next five or ten years?

Yea I guess so, even though that obviously seems unfair. I could see why they'd rather just go with the clean shaven guy.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

FrozenVent posted:

I am perfectly confident that someone with hair will cut it if in a social sense it gets too long

this goes for beards ad well as mullets. It applies if they have any manners and grace. I am also almost perfectly confident that someone might change their hairstyle over time.

on reflecting on this I think it doesn't matter in a job Interview that a bearded guy might have a bad hair week sometime 5 or 10 years in the future.

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

Baneling Butts posted:

Hapless ladygoon here: I have my first job interview since high school, and I'm not sure what's appropriate to wear (in college, formal clothes have not been a necessity). According to the weather report, it's going to be about 90F that day, so would a sleeveless and/or light top be OK, or is a jacket to go with my skirt required? Also, are flats instead of heels OK?

What kind of job are you applying for? If it's a professional one, I would go for the skirt/jacket combo with a longer sleeved blouse underneath (despite the weather). If it's like most other jobs, the light/short-sleeved top is fine. Go for a longer sleeved top if you have tattoos on your arms. Also, wearing slacks is perfectly acceptable too if you would prefer to go in them instead of a skirt. You can get slacks for pretty cheap that look great.

I can't wear heels, so I've worn flats to every single interview I've ever done. I haven't had any problems with them, even with the fancier jobs I've tried interviewing for. I don't think heels vs. flats really matters for most job interviews anyway. I would say that bit is really up to you unless, again, you're interviewing for a professional position - then I would choose heels.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I've been looking for a full time job for about a year and I very rarely get contacted about anything I apply for. If someone could look at my resume and give me some advice that would be great.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10949028/goonresume.docx

Some background info:

I graduated from college last May. After high school I was going to work part time and go to college but that part time job bagging groceries quickly turned into an amazing full time job. I worked too much for school and was making $20/hour plus amazing benefits (union job). In 2005 the company started closing the stores in the area as the leases on the properties came up.

So when I was laid off I went to college to get my degree in accounting like I originally planned. I applied to accounting firms after graduating and only got one reply. Went in for an interview and thought it went well, but I was super nervous and had to interview with each person at the firm. I had a really awkward interview with one of the partners and didn't get the job. Since then I've been applying for any entry level accounting position I see in my area on craiglist, indeed, linkedin, monster, or from word of mouth.

I get very few call backs. I've had multiple people tell me they want someone that has experience in X accounting software (quickbooks, great plains, dynamics, yardi, peachtree), they're too busy to train, want someone that can just dive in, etc. I've even applied for jobs that said in all caps "NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED" or "ENTRY LEVEL ACCOUNTING". First question I get asked is if I do accounting at my current job and I try to BS and say "no, but I have taken a quickbooks course and done some light bookkeeping...". The interview just goes downhill from there.

Any advice or critiques would be welcome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Your resume seems too crowded. Space it out. You can take some stuff out. This:

quote:

Advanced computer skills:
• Advanced Excel skills including databases, pivot tables, and lookup functions.
• Expert with Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Working knowledge of Access.
• Able to quickly learn new software and instruct others on use.
• Highly experienced with providing Windows/PC troubleshooting and tech support.

Is useless fluff. If you're applying to an accounting job, it's assumed you know how to use Office, Excel and a coffee machine. Are you applying to a tech support job? No? Who cares about your tech support abilities.

What are you trying to sell? Your education or your experience? Pick one and focus on that.

Your experience section could also use some trimming:

quote:

• Utilized phone, fax, and email to communicate with agents and clients
• Worked on special projects and assignments as needed.

These are basically filler; you don't need filler in a one page resume. White space is ok.

quote:

• Promoted from Bagger to Journeyman Clerk in less than a year.
• Performed cashier duties in an extremely fast paced environment

This is not particularly impressive - You have a college degree, you should be able to raise above the lofty rank of bagger - and yet it's right up front, while the more impressive part:

quote:

• Ordered merchandise and managed inventory for a grocery store with sales of $120k a week.

is at the bottom. Reorder that stuff. I'm not too keen on the list of classes either, but I'll let someone smarter speak to that.

It comes back to figuring out what you're trying to sell and emphasising that stuff. In your case, it's probably your degree. You don't need to get too in detail with less relevant work experience. Personally I'd scrapped the part-time retail jobs by the time I'd finished college, but I was specifically selling certification.

If you're making it to the interview then floundering, work on your interview technique. "Do you have experience in (field you're applying in)?" is something you should have a canned answer for. There are plenty of resources available online and in bookstore on interview preparation and technique, and you'd probably gain a lot from them.

Keep it up, there are jobs out there.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I hope this is in the correct thread, as I'm still technically in the interview process.

I've interviewed twice, and my recruiter (employed by this company) called me and told me that I'm a top candidate and I have a job offer pending my drug test and background check.

The drug test is no issue at all, but there's a problem with my background check. I worked overseas in South Korea for two years and the background check people say my employer isn't responding to inquiries. Now they either want pay stubs or IRS records to confirm my employment. I don't have IRS records because the income was not taxable, and I'm desperately searching for pay stubs but it's been years and I've moved back to the United States and some stuff may have gotten lost in the move.

I do have copies of my work visa and my contract as well as documents and materials related to the job. I'm trying to find out if I can get any information from my Korean bank account, but it's been closed for years. Right now I'm just freaking out that they're not going to offer me the position because of this. Am I overreacting? Is this common? I'm going to call my recruiter on Monday and I want to be able to resolve this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had an interview last Thursday, would today or tomorrow be an appropriate time to contact them about it? Who would I contact (person who contacted me for an interview vs. person who interviewed me) and through what means (phone vs. email)?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have an interview tomorrow for an internship position where I also need to turn in a résumé. I only had one piece of thick, high quality paper and a printing error left it with some repetitious text on the back. Now I need to choose, do I hand it in explaining to ignore the back because it was a printing error, or do I turn it in on regular paper without the error?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

I have an interview tomorrow for an internship position where I also need to turn in a résumé. I only had one piece of thick, high quality paper and a printing error left it with some repetitious text on the back. Now I need to choose, do I hand it in explaining to ignore the back because it was a printing error, or do I turn it in on regular paper without the error?

Regular paper, it's not even a question. They won't notice that you used regular paper, they would definitely notice you telling them about how you screwed up on your first meeting.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Use regular paper. You've already got the interview. High quality paper might be nicer, but at that point they're more interested in you.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Jon Joe posted:

It's 2013. Nobody gives a poo poo about resume paper, especially for an internship. Print it on regular cheapo copy paper and stop wasting your money. As long as it's clean, white paper without folds, staples, poo poo stains, etc, it's fine.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thank you very much for your responses, I will definitely go with the regular paper.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Tojai posted:

I hope this is in the correct thread, as I'm still technically in the interview process.

I've interviewed twice, and my recruiter (employed by this company) called me and told me that I'm a top candidate and I have a job offer pending my drug test and background check.

The drug test is no issue at all, but there's a problem with my background check. I worked overseas in South Korea for two years and the background check people say my employer isn't responding to inquiries. Now they either want pay stubs or IRS records to confirm my employment. I don't have IRS records because the income was not taxable, and I'm desperately searching for pay stubs but it's been years and I've moved back to the United States and some stuff may have gotten lost in the move.

I do have copies of my work visa and my contract as well as documents and materials related to the job. I'm trying to find out if I can get any information from my Korean bank account, but it's been closed for years. Right now I'm just freaking out that they're not going to offer me the position because of this. Am I overreacting? Is this common? I'm going to call my recruiter on Monday and I want to be able to resolve this.

You are supposed to still file American taxes on money you earned overseas (claiming the Foreign Income Tax Credit), so you might want to consult with a tax professional if this work was done fewer than 7 years ago :shobon:

You will need to provide them with someone that works there that can agree you worked there or some other sort of proof. I'd try to get in touch with them (in Korean) and ask if there's someone in English they can talk to, or to get pay stubs/the like from there as well.

Your contract will likely not suffice, but if you have it plus a passport stamped with entries and exits that correspond to that amount of time... maybe. The company you're applying to will have to holisitically decide whether you're worth taking the risk on vs. them hiring someone that to them has a shady mysterious 2-year gap in employment.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the tips here and also the ones in the interview thread, my interview went very well. I now just need to wait until the start of August to hear back, but I'm confident that I'll have the internship.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What is the general consensus on cover letters in e-mails. Is it better to write a brief statement in the e-mail and include a word or .pdf of the cover letter, or simply put the cover letter in the body of the e-mail.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I do both.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had an interview one week ago tomorrow and I haven't heard back from them yet. I want to call tomorrow morning and ask about my status, should I contact the person who scheduled me for the interview or contact one of the people who actually interviewed me?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I want to apply to a professional association and their application requires a 'detailed summary of relevant experience.' The local branch needs to endorse it(presumably as part of their regular meeting) and then the national council that runs things has to approve it.

So here is what I wrote. I'd like some pointers on formatting; in particular if my use of lists is correct and whether an actual letterhead is required when this will be part of an application package.

I'd also like to change the salutation at the top, 'panel' or 'board' is not accurate enough, I'd like a succinct way of saying 'To whoever ends up processing and approving this document.' Or should I just go with 'To whom it may concern?'

General Business writing critique is also OK by me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

I'd also like to change the salutation at the top, 'panel' or 'board' is not accurate enough, I'd like a succinct way of saying 'To whoever ends up processing and approving this document.' Or should I just go with 'To whom it may concern?'

The format I use in those situation is to place the address up front, then a "to whom it may concern", or "dear board members", like so:

As to the content, the one professional association I'm a member of only required a scan of my certification documents, my experience listed on a form and a credit card number so I don't have much experience with that. My gut feeling would be to favor a bullet point type of approach. Remember also that your audience is people who are well versed in your industry, keep the HR speak to a minimum, and don't try to bullshit them. They want to see that you meet their minimums, that's all it is - remember that an association makes money by admitting people, not turning them away. They'll want to maintain their standards, of course, but if you meet them they won't look for a reason to gently caress you over.

Ask your co-workers what they did with their applications, or even check with your point of contact at the association.

Also,

quote:

Other tasks I have some experience in are:

If you have some experience, you have experience, don't undersell yourself.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2013

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

Bisty Q. posted:

You are supposed to still file American taxes on money you earned overseas (claiming the Foreign Income Tax Credit), so you might want to consult with a tax professional if this work was done fewer than 7 years ago :shobon:

Thanks, it looks like the employment verification is resolved but I'm definitely going to get in touch with a tax preparer regarding this. :ohdear:

Tojai fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't get the job :( When companies say things like "we'll keep your resume on file for future consideration", how often do they actually get back to people in that position? 0%? 0.0%?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

C-Euro posted:

I didn't get the job :( When companies say things like "we'll keep your resume on file for future consideration", how often do they actually get back to people in that position? 0%? 0.0%?

It's like when you tell your ex boy/girlfriend, "it's not you, it's me." It's just something they say.

Sure someone has probably gotten a job from having the resume on file like that, but can you think of anyone? Ask your acquaintances if they can think of anyone who has.

Sorry to hear.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

C-Euro posted:

A good friend of mine applied for a job not so long ago. It was a bit out of his reach but he thought he'd go for it anyway. Needless to say, he didn't get it, but the interviewers loved him, so a few weeks later they offered him another position that had just come available. So it's not impossible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

A good friend of mine applied for a job not so long ago. It was a bit out of his reach but he thought he'd go for it anyway. Needless to say, he didn't get it, but the interviewers loved him, so a few weeks later they offered him another position that had just come available. So it's not impossible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Most of the time the reason is that if they keep all names on file then when a head hunter refers them a candidate for a role they don't have to pay the fee - because they had the candidate on file.

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011
I'm having trouble finding advice on what to do for a specific issue I'm having with my education background on my resume. I was in school studying mechanical engineering from 2006-2010, but I had to change my major because of declining grades during a particularly rough time of my life (death of immediate family member in the middle of a semester that was completely out of the blue). The school took no mercy on my situation and disallowed me to finish my engineering degree. I was 80% of the way through and only had a few electives and a senior project remaining. I took one semester off and then moved to the college of arts and sciences in 2011 where I'll be finishing BS in geophysics this December and I've made nothing but A's and B's since I've changed majors. However, I began a research assistant position in the mechanical engineering department at the university in 2008 where I've been employed since and have been promoted to a facility and operations manager for the past three years. My boss was very understanding of my need to change majors and kept me on as I'm a huge asset to the program and have definitely helped it stay alive during some hard times with funding and staffing and I have extensive knowledge of the systems we're working with.

My question is whether or not I should list 'Mechanical Engineering 2006-2010' below my 'B.S. Geophysics 2011-2013' in my education section. If it makes any difference, I'm aiming at management positions as I've very much enjoyed my role as a manager in my current job.

Thanks in advance!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
When you email a cover letter as a PDF, do you still put the company's name, address, phone #, etc. with it? I have a letterhead that I made so it has my information, but I wasn't sure if I still include theirs.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Seems unnecessary.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Xandu posted:

Seems unnecessary.

Thats kind of how I felt. Thanks.

Edit: Is it bad to send it as a .pdf? I feel weird sending it as a .doc or whatever because of all the tables I use.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Thats kind of how I felt. Thanks.

Edit: Is it bad to send it as a .pdf? I feel weird sending it as a .doc or whatever because of all the tables I use.

Send a pdf

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

0zxy posted:

I'm having trouble finding advice on what to do for a specific issue I'm having with my education background on my resume. I was in school studying mechanical engineering from 2006-2010, but I had to change my major because of declining grades during a particularly rough time of my life (death of immediate family member in the middle of a semester that was completely out of the blue). The school took no mercy on my situation and disallowed me to finish my engineering degree. I was 80% of the way through and only had a few electives and a senior project remaining. I took one semester off and then moved to the college of arts and sciences in 2011 where I'll be finishing BS in geophysics this December and I've made nothing but A's and B's since I've changed majors. However, I began a research assistant position in the mechanical engineering department at the university in 2008 where I've been employed since and have been promoted to a facility and operations manager for the past three years. My boss was very understanding of my need to change majors and kept me on as I'm a huge asset to the program and have definitely helped it stay alive during some hard times with funding and staffing and I have extensive knowledge of the systems we're working with.

My question is whether or not I should list 'Mechanical Engineering 2006-2010' below my 'B.S. Geophysics 2011-2013' in my education section. If it makes any difference, I'm aiming at management positions as I've very much enjoyed my role as a manager in my current job.

Thanks in advance!

Yes but caveated with the word incomplete or some other such thing. Or completed 4 of 5 years in Mech Eng.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I am an IT guy, currently working on a new resume. A brief rundown of my last 15 years or so goes like this:

College, bachelor's degree in MIS, December of 2000.
Service industry, including delivering food, waiting tables, managing a sandwich shop (2 years), 2001-2011.
Small IT shop, building PCs, troubleshooting, virus removal, networking, sales, basically everything involved in running a small IT business, 2011-2013.
IT Network Specialist (Cisco) associates degree from local tech school, completing fall 2013.

I went back to school to "refresh" my education, since it was very difficult to get an IT job with my history. I am a 4.0 student and have references from instructors and high level local businessmen. With my (over)education and last 2 years experience I have never been, nor felt, more valuable and ready to contribute. To me, the service industry experience is invaluable and I would NOT be able to do the things I can do without it. I feel I am far more well rounded than the average IT employee. On my resume, what is the best way to emphasize these experiences without making it look like a giant career dark-age?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Gweenz posted:

I am an IT guy, currently working on a new resume. A brief rundown of my last 15 years or so goes like this:

On my resume, what is the best way to emphasize these experiences without making it look like a giant career dark-age?

Nobody cares. Sorry to be blunt, but I would immediately stop reading as soon as I got to 2011.

If you insist on putting it on there, put them all in one small section of "Other Experience" and give them each a single line. You should be spending the vast majority of your resume on your recent, relevant experience for the field, then talk about the newly-acquired education and credentials, then if there is any room left, squeeze in your other jobs.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So I got a job offer today, pending a background check. I've never been worried about a background check before, but I'm freaking out about this one a little bit. I really want this job.

The reason is, in a move that seems incredibly stupid now, and definitely not something I'd do again, I fudged the date of my first job to make it more recent. I'm just out of school, and I don't have much relevant experience, so I moved this job up to occupy a time that I held an irrelevant job.

The background check form explicitly says that they may interview former employers. How likely is it that they actually do this, and will uncover this? I have to imagine it won't reflect well, but is that enough to rescind the offer?

Should I just hope it doesn't come out? Admit it now to get ahead of the issue?

Either way, lesson totally learned. The moral of the story: In what should be obvious, don't lie on your resume (at least not about things this easily checked up on).

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Bisty Q. posted:

Nobody cares. Sorry to be blunt, but I would immediately stop reading as soon as I got to 2011.

If you insist on putting it on there, put them all in one small section of "Other Experience" and give them each a single line. You should be spending the vast majority of your resume on your recent, relevant experience for the field, then talk about the newly-acquired education and credentials, then if there is any room left, squeeze in your other jobs.

Blunt is good! It's actually much easier for me to write it that way. Thanks for the advice.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Grumpwagon posted:

So I got a job offer today, pending a background check. I've never been worried about a background check before, but I'm freaking out about this one a little bit. I really want this job.

The reason is, in a move that seems incredibly stupid now, and definitely not something I'd do again, I fudged the date of my first job to make it more recent. I'm just out of school, and I don't have much relevant experience, so I moved this job up to occupy a time that I held an irrelevant job.

The background check form explicitly says that they may interview former employers. How likely is it that they actually do this, and will uncover this? I have to imagine it won't reflect well, but is that enough to rescind the offer?

Should I just hope it doesn't come out? Admit it now to get ahead of the issue?

Either way, lesson totally learned. The moral of the story: In what should be obvious, don't lie on your resume (at least not about things this easily checked up on).

How much did you change the date? We talking like a month or two or much longer? That's the sort of thing they could easily ask, "did Goon work for you from X to Y?" I guess it depends on how much you lied whether it will be an issue.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I have an interview tomorrow for a paid internship with a research institute attached to a university. I have a Masters and some of the leads in the institute also only have Masters so it's not a place where everything is done by people with PhDs which I found interesting especially considering the university affiliation.

What are they likely to ask me? I spent some time thinking about interview questions and I came up with knowledge-based ones like "tell me what factors can influence this process that you'll be working on" and "what do you know how to do with R" and "what skills have you gained at your current job [I got a job in consultancy straight out of uni but we don't do Real Science there and I hate it] that would help you work for us" which is what I would ask, but a co-worker of mine generously went through a mock interview with me and she asked me things like "tell me about a time when you had to overcome a communication challenge" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell me about a time that you've used statistics" and now I don't know what to expect. I'm going to be interviewed by two technical people who I will be working with (one of whom is a former professor who probably doesn't remember me because I didn't really like his class) not HR people. Any ideas?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at an application for a tutoring position and their application has a section for entering your own standardized test scores (in my case ACT, SAT, and GRE). The thing is, it's been seven years since I took the ACT/SAT and three years since I took the GRE so I don't remember any of them (and wouldn't know where I kept the scores that were mailed to me). The section says "Please fill out as many scores as you can. If you are selected for an interview, we will verify your test scores"

--How much do you think I'd be screwing myself by not including scores?

--Where could I look those scores up? I took a glance at the ACT's website and there's no obvious way to look up scores from before 2008.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm looking at an application for a tutoring position and their application has a section for entering your own standardized test scores (in my case ACT, SAT, and GRE). The thing is, it's been seven years since I took the ACT/SAT and three years since I took the GRE so I don't remember any of them (and wouldn't know where I kept the scores that were mailed to me). The section says "Please fill out as many scores as you can. If you are selected for an interview, we will verify your test scores"

--How much do you think I'd be screwing myself by not including scores?

--Where could I look those scores up? I took a glance at the ACT's website and there's no obvious way to look up scores from before 2008.

This is interesting.

If there is a place anywhere in the application process for freeform text, I would:

• Put in estimates for the scores you sat
  • Declare them estimates with words to the effect that "I completed my SAT in XXXX and received a score of approximately YYYY or I completed my SAT in XXXX. The grades I included are approximations

If the hiring company says they want to verify the scores I would say "Do you need me to supply a notification - if so I am going to have to find out how to get one. If not great can I get a copy too....

This way if they ding you they at least have to make it a personal ding.

Or try this: http://www.actstudent.org/forms/ or call 319.337.1313

Hypation fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

toe knee hand posted:

I have an interview tomorrow for a paid internship with a research institute attached to a university. I have a Masters and some of the leads in the institute also only have Masters so it's not a place where everything is done by people with PhDs which I found interesting especially considering the university affiliation.

What are they likely to ask me? I spent some time thinking about interview questions and I came up with knowledge-based ones like "tell me what factors can influence this process that you'll be working on" and "what do you know how to do with R" and "what skills have you gained at your current job [I got a job in consultancy straight out of uni but we don't do Real Science there and I hate it] that would help you work for us" which is what I would ask, but a co-worker of mine generously went through a mock interview with me and she asked me things like "tell me about a time when you had to overcome a communication challenge" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell me about a time that you've used statistics" and now I don't know what to expect. I'm going to be interviewed by two technical people who I will be working with (one of whom is a former professor who probably doesn't remember me because I didn't really like his class) not HR people. Any ideas?

I got a comp Sci internship waaay back when.

The questions were primarily around research interests and how I expected to use those skills over time. There were other questions about my understanding of how the research organisation fit with the uni and which bits of it I thought were more interesting than others etc.

What the research institute did not want to see was someone coming in with straight A's and only doing it for the line item on the CV. They'd rather give it to someone who is still competent but is interested in the research they are doing.

If the institute is attached to the university they can get references and can talk to people about your academic qualifications easily.

Anyway this is only one example. I am quite sure it is possible your interview could be entirely different. But the underlying advice of demonstrating an interest and an inquisitive mind etc is universal.

Good Luck! :D