Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

punk rebel ecks posted:

My goal is to get a job that pays $55,000, but I'll settle for $50,000. I currently have a position that I make $44,000 at. The position was originally suppose to pay $17 per hour but due to them screwing up my contract I got paid $20 instead. I was suppose to work a higher position but that became filled so they had me work a lower position below it but paying the same amount, when it came time to apply. I eventually got promoted but to the position I work at now. It's for a completely different department (my superiors aren't even in the same city). Due to this, I can't really get promoted since there is literally nowhere to go up in my position (a major reason why I want to leave). Every time I ask my boss how I'm doing (when I speak with him once a month) he always says "no complaints, just keep doing what you are doing".

In terms if I've gotten fired. Yes I have. Only once in my entire life. It was for the third job down. It had nothing to do with performance. Hell, a week before I was terminated my direct supervisor did my seasonal review and I got near a perfect score. Then something happened primarily due to management not heeding staffs warnings and they threw me and my coworker under the bus. They even lied to me why they were firing me and told a made up story to the higher ups which I didn't find out until a month later during my unemployment interview. It's rarely asked during interviews but I typically say "an event occurred on shift and due to protocol the entire team was let go." Which I think I should change because it makes it sound more serious than it was.

So yeah, I just want a resume good enough for a position that reaches or crosses the $50,000 threshold. I hope that my qualifications and experience make that achievable.

Yeah don't say any of the stuff I didn't remove in an interview. And that's not a good excuse.

Consider working on your English writing skills, I had some trouble following your story. After reading this post I revisited your resume and started to notice the grammar issues. I'd suggest having an online service or someone you know to be excellent at proofreading look at your resume.

To get to $50k from an office manager you're going to want some combo of: higher paying skills, more responsibilities, a history of moving up in positions. If you were previously an office assistant and now you're an office manager, I'd show that progression on a resume. At $50K in my median COL area you'd have a lot of good competition. $50K buys a paralegal with 3-5 years experience, or a no-degree-having young engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CarForumPoster posted:

Yeah don't say any of the stuff I didn't remove in an interview. And that's not a good excuse.

Consider working on your English writing skills, I had some trouble following your story. After reading this post I revisited your resume and started to notice the grammar issues. I'd suggest having an online service or someone you know to be excellent at proofreading look at your resume.

To get to $50k from an office manager you're going to want some combo of: higher paying skills, more responsibilities, a history of moving up in positions. If you were previously an office assistant and now you're an office manager, I'd show that progression on a resume. At $50K in my median COL area you'd have a lot of good competition. $50K buys a paralegal with 3-5 years experience, or a no-degree-having young engineer.

I guess I live in a higher cost area (West Coast) as paralegals and engineers make a bit more.

Hopefully not pulling things too close to the Career Path thread, seeing my resume what positions would you recommend me applying to?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

punk rebel ecks posted:

I guess I live in a higher cost area (West Coast) as paralegals and engineers make a bit more.

Hopefully not pulling things too close to the Career Path thread, seeing my resume what positions would you recommend me applying to?

I'd recommend you invest in yourself to find a career you don't mind spending your life doing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd recommend you invest in yourself to find a career you don't mind spending your life doing.

It's just difficult to know what level of jobs I should be applying to.

Like do I qualify for 50k range or am I stuck in 40k range?

Or is that something I'll figure out whether I get call backs or not?

I hope I'm not annoying you. I can just take it to the career path thread or just somewhere else. I don't want to make people mad in here.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's just difficult to know what level of jobs I should be applying to.

Like do I qualify for 50k range or am I stuck in 40k range?

Or is that something I'll figure out whether I get call backs or not?

I hope I'm not annoying you. I can just take it to the career path thread or just somewhere else. I don't want to make people mad in here.

Eh you’ve been a good sport and actually taken action on advice. This thread helped me way back, now I help.

That’s not a question I can answer other than to say you’ll need to find a job that pays $50k and be the most qualified person that applies to it. There’s not really any magic resume hack for that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Your resume is better and there's no cost in applying. But I think looking around at community colleges or other areas to beg up your credentials and prove your more than your current role would probably help.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Eh you’ve been a good sport and actually taken action on advice. This thread helped me way back, now I help.

That’s not a question I can answer other than to say you’ll need to find a job that pays $50k and be the most qualified person that applies to it. There’s not really any magic resume hack for that

I see. Thanks for the responses they've been very helpful. I will post my next resume if you all aren't sick of critiquing me.

Also, to clarify. I think you misunderstand the "office manager" position. The position is basically "super receptionist" if that makes sense. Not only am I suppose to be on the front desk, but I also have to schedule vendors, and pretty much the go to guy if there are any problems in the facility. Like if someone's desk is broken or they have computer problems, or they don't know where to put certain paperwork. If it's something I can't figure out then I call a vendor to fix stuff (but that's rare). There's also a bunch of other stuff like calculate the budget and inventory on items. I essentially "manage the office" if that makes sense. The reason why I chose the title "office manager" because that's the most common title I see for it when looking for jobs online.

I'm not sure if that bit of information changes any of your recommendations or what I am qualified for.

Lockback posted:

Your resume is better and there's no cost in applying. But I think looking around at community colleges or other areas to beg up your credentials and prove your more than your current role would probably help.

Like do just take specific classes, work toward a certification, or get an associates degree? I don't mean to be obtuse here just want to make sure I understand. Also, would you say "help" or "is a necessity if you want a realistic chance"?

Thanks for the responses too, I really appreciate it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 8, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lockback posted:

Don't go to the minimum. If the range is 100-150, I'd ask for 175 and negotiate down from there...They won't throw away a candidate because the candidate asked for 15% too much.
This probably belongs in the negotiation thread but I was really surprised to read this. Granted I haven't had to negotiate salary for a new job in seven loving years, but my impression is that if you have multiple qualified candidates for a job, and one is asking for a much higher salary than the advertised range, then you go with one of the other qualified candidates who isn't doing that? And right now, there are a ton of qualified candidates for every job. Again, have only been on the other side of the desk a couple times, and haven't negotiated salary myself in a long time.

I just got offered an interview for a job that would be really sweet, doing my best not to whiff it this time. Have applied to probably 60+ jobs, interviewed for four, zero offers. My industry is one of the hardest hit right now, but I also think I didn't do well in the interviews and a lot of the advice in this thread is really helpful (don't hard sell yourself.)

e: to be fair I am also attempting a modest pivot and have only applied inside the pandemic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 8, 2021

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This probably belongs in the negotiation thread but I was really surprised to read this. Granted I haven't had to negotiate salary for a new job in seven loving years, but my impression is that if you have multiple qualified candidates for a job, and one is asking for a much higher salary than the advertised range, then you go with one of the other qualified candidates who isn't doing that?
In my limited experience asking for way more than initial ranges, I've found that companies are very willing to pay more for a candidate who will over perform and who are confident enough to ask for what they deserve. I imagine this doesn't work so well in jobs where overperformance isn't really feasible or if employees are easily replaceable (I'm not getting paid more for working at inn n out no matter how good I am at flipping burgers).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you ask for more money than everyone else you can also create a perception of higher value than other candidates. The hiring side doesn't have perfect visibility in to a candidate's qualifications, skills, and ability to do the job. If you are on the hiring side and have two identical candidates, one asking for 100k and the other asking for 150k, and you're asked to evaluate them both, you'll probably perceive the person asking for 150k as more qualified.

As Moana said, this is more true for jobs where the requirements are less strictly defined and employers are viewed as less fungible.

Everyone knows salary is a negotiation, so if I had someone asking for more money who I thought was the best candidate for the job, I'd at least open the negotiation to see if I could reach an agreement. If it didn't work, then I'd move to the people asking for less money who are less qualified.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, to clarify. I think you misunderstand the "office manager" position. The position is basically "super receptionist" if that makes sense. Not only am I suppose to be on the front desk, but I also have to schedule vendors, and pretty much the go to guy if there are any problems in the facility. Like if someone's desk is broken or they have computer problems, or they don't know where to put certain paperwork. If it's something I can't figure out then I call a vendor to fix stuff (but that's rare). There's also a bunch of other stuff like calculate the budget and inventory on items. I essentially "manage the office" if that makes sense. The reason why I chose the title "office manager" because that's the most common title I see for it when looking for jobs online.

Like do just take specific classes, work toward a certification, or get an associates degree?

Nope I have someone who does that in my office too though with a different set of “keep things moving” responsibilities. She makes $17/hr, bachelors degree, I had ~100 applicants for her job, phone interviewed 10-12. Businesses really need this person and small ones often want broad skills like IT, bookkeeping and SEO. That said, small businesses are often reluctant to pay much for this position.

What you do depends on what you want to do in your career. I tend to eschew going back to school for most unfocused people because it’s very expensive and takes a long time, where something you can teach yourself like SEO, coding, copier repair, etc. tends to be faster and cheaper. Often with the same result.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

right now, there are a ton of qualified candidates for every job.

I'm trying to hire a litigation attorney and recently hired a SW dev. There have not been tons of qualified-enough-to-hire candidates.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 8, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Managers don't get money if they hire cheaper candidates. They do get an easier job if they higher a better candidate. If my range is around 120k for a job and a guy asks for 20% above that, I'd consider that a realistic place. I might (need to) negotiate them down but that is fine. If the gal comes in asking for $250k I might ghost because I know they're way out of my range. At a white collar, corp job no one is getting tossed without a counter offer because they are 15-20% above a range. Now if they are good they might counter your rear end right back to the bottom, and that still might be a good offer, but good negotiators among employers is also pretty rare.

If you don't know your value or range its better for them to start with a number, but if you do have information about the range and your market rate anchoring can be really effective and it's unlikely to get you disqualified if you're in a realistic range.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, to clarify. I think you misunderstand the "office manager" position.

The fact that we don't know that after looking at 2 of your resumes should be a hint something isn't right with how you're portraying it. If you did a better job quantifying the value you bring to that role, we (and employers) would better recognize it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Like do just take specific classes, work toward a certification, or get an associates degree? I don't mean to be obtuse here just want to make sure I understand. Also, would you say "help" or "is a necessity if you want a realistic chance"?

I don't know enough about HR but maybe look at stuff thats available. There's micro-MBAs, there's probably small courses around HR-adjacent topics that can go on your resumes. Basically, if you're not qualified, the only option is to look at stuff that can make you qualified. I don't think you need to get another degree (again, your bachelors here is really good) but "Took a 12 week HR mini-program" or something would be a big improvement. Like CFP said, there are self-directed or semi-self-directed options out there, but for this particular field I don't know any examples offhand.

And I want to echo, you're getting some tough love here but you are honestly doing a very good job trying to internalize/make changes. I think that's very encouraging and a good sign for that next step.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 8, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm trying to hire a litigation attorney and recently hired a SW dev. There have not been tons of qualified-enough-to-hire candidates.

there are a lot of candidates for every single job that's for sure. kinda industry specific as to whether they are qualified. if he's in like, O&G there certainly are plenty of qualified candidates.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are a lot of candidates for every single job that's for sure. kinda industry specific as to whether they are qualified. if he's in like, O&G there certainly are plenty of qualified candidates.

For the engineer role I got tons of applicants, half have 10 years of experience in 5 year old frameworks.

For the lawyer one especially, I am getting few applications (Posted to Indeed, LinkedIn) and most of not great quality. I ended up doing some webscraping to find some possible ideal fits and doing cold outreach, one is getting a 2nd interview today.

We do defense side business and employment lit, growing quickly but still small (2 attys+of counsel).

We're looking to make a full time hire in states: Florida, California
We're looking to work with solos or small firms on an of counsel basis in: Georgia, Arizona

If you know of a good an associate level person who meets the below criteria send me a PM.

Barred in: Florida, California, Georgia and/or Arizona (Florida or Cali + any others is ideal)
Experience: 3+ years civil lit in Employment, IP, Complex Business.
School: Top 50th%

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

In MN I'm seeing lots of newer-level SW engineers but experienced people are real dried up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

For the engineer role I got tons of applicants, half have 10 years of experience in 5 year old frameworks.

For the lawyer one especially, I am getting few applications (Posted to Indeed, LinkedIn) and most of not great quality. I ended up doing some webscraping to find some possible ideal fits and doing cold outreach, one is getting a 2nd interview today.

We do defense side business and employment lit, growing quickly but still small (2 attys+of counsel).

We're looking to make a full time hire in states: Florida, California
We're looking to work with solos or small firms on an of counsel basis in: Georgia, Arizona

If you know of a good an associate level person who meets the below criteria send me a PM.

Barred in: Florida, California, Georgia and/or Arizona (Florida or Cali + any others is ideal)
Experience: 3+ years civil lit in Employment, IP, Complex Business.
School: Top 50th%

you post in the law thread? might be some good ideas there

punk rebel ecks posted:

you're doin good and taking some tough advice very well, which speaks well to your character. I think for office generalist jobs there are more specific certifications or short courses that can be helpful to demonstrate capabilities in IT. SHRM might have some certs for HR, which I don't know are valuable or not. Some small bookkeeping or project management classes might also serve you well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you post in the law thread? might be some good ideas there

IMO that thread lacks a culture of helping

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

IMO that thread lacks a culture of helping

naturally, seeing as they are lawyers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You guys are making me really consider taking a class or two at my local community college this spring.

I'm going to look up what they have to offer.

In just embarrassed that I graduated seven years ago and still in my role/in a job that pays in the 40ks. Especially after seeing stuff like this where the average person with a bachelor's makes over 50k by my age. Even with my degree.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 8, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I work at an HCM software company and a lot of our people have shrm certs. Looks like they require HR experience but there's some flexibility on definition and amount to qualify.

If it's like tech certs then there's some benefit to just reading their material and learning how they view the world, words of art etc.

https://www.shrm.org/certification/apply/eligibility-criteria/Pages/default.aspx

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

You guys are making me really consider taking a class or two at my local community college this spring.

In just embarrassed that I graduated seven years ago and still in my role/in a job that pays in the 40ks. Especially after seeing stuff like this where the average person with a bachelor's makes over 50k by my age. Even with my degree.

Don't feel too bad, you could have a masters and be barely making 30k a year! :smith:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

punk rebel ecks posted:

I empathize with feeling ashamed about this but you shouldn’t.

Fill in the blanks to make this true. I would be cool with doing these things for the next 10 years: [list]. These have entry level salaries of at least $45k and the career path they put me on achieves what I want. The difference between my resume today and and the job reqs for those are [requirements].

Pick your goal and work to it a little bit each day. There’s lots about my school and work history that a person might regret or was below the norm at that moment in time...but eventually I was an engineer at some great companies and now run a company I’m excited to go to every day.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yah same. I started out under paid and now do well. Luck/market is def huge but being willing to change jobs and put in the work is the half you can control.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I empathize with feeling ashamed about this but you shouldn’t.

Fill in the blanks to make this true. I would be cool with doing these things for the next 10 years: [list]. These have entry level salaries of at least $45k and the career path they put me on achieves what I want. The difference between my resume today and and the job reqs for those are [requirements].

Pick your goal and work to it a little bit each day. There’s lots about my school and work history that a person might regret or was below the norm at that moment in time...but eventually I was an engineer at some great companies and now run a company I’m excited to go to every day.

Yeah, I'll do this.

I'll jot down some stuff.

I just hope that I don't have to get another degree.

Xguard86 posted:

I work at an HCM software company and a lot of our people have shrm certs. Looks like they require HR experience but there's some flexibility on definition and amount to qualify.

If it's like tech certs then there's some benefit to just reading their material and learning how they view the world, words of art etc.

https://www.shrm.org/certification/apply/eligibility-criteria/Pages/default.aspx

Maybe taking a test to get this certification would be better than taking a class?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you ask for more money than everyone else you can also create a perception of higher value than other candidates. The hiring side doesn't have perfect visibility in to a candidate's qualifications, skills, and ability to do the job. If you are on the hiring side and have two identical candidates, one asking for 100k and the other asking for 150k, and you're asked to evaluate them both, you'll probably perceive the person asking for 150k as more qualified.

As Moana said, this is more true for jobs where the requirements are less strictly defined and employers are viewed as less fungible.

Everyone knows salary is a negotiation, so if I had someone asking for more money who I thought was the best candidate for the job, I'd at least open the negotiation to see if I could reach an agreement. If it didn't work, then I'd move to the people asking for less money who are less qualified.

Confirmation bias encourages this, too: if you do interviews and end up with 3 or 4 candidates you'd be willing to hire, decide which one you like most and offer him and he asks for [your budget + 25%] you tend to think "yep... I knew it. Best candidate."

Some companies only care about hiring the Cheapest Minimally Qualified Person Possible (hint: these are usually the ones that are obsessed with knowing your current salary) but you shouldn't work for them anyway if you can avoid it. Otherwise, asking high when approached with an offer will not surprise the other side and will just tend to reinforce their already-made decision that you were the best candidate.

They can't always pay you what you want within their budget, but they're not going to hold it against you for asking (unless your ask is so bonkers it shows you have no idea what the market actually is, THAT will definitely backfire).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thank you for these responses. For the thing I'm about to interview for - although I don't want to get ahead of myself, still expecting I won't get it based on past performance - it's a little weird, because they advertised it as a "senior" position, but said they'd be willing to hire into the "junior" or "manager" level positions as well based on experience, with salary band to match. The "senior" position matches my experience, so I'm guessing I would need to demonstrate "manager" level experience to make that pay, and I don't think I can. But, if I get an offer, I can at least ask for a bit beyond the advertised pay range, I guess.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
There's also kind of a funny situation that can happen where a candidate asks for 130k but budget is 80k. Even if we liked them, it's not a great hire because if you are able to talk them down a chunk either A) Why are they willing to come down so much?........or B) They're going to be resentful and looking for a few new gig as soon as they start because they had to come down so much.

I distinctly remember a giggly conversation with my boss because one of the final candidates had a very high ask and the other had a very low ask. We took "so long" trying to figure out who was best the CEO just hired them both then canned the more expensive one a month later. (The CEO was a dumbshit though so don't think that far ahead. The employee got a massive severance.)

IMO you should always start around 17-20% above market but be very very professional and polite during that part of the conversation. Throw in some suck and gently caress language too, "I know salary is a big piece on both sides of the table but having been in the industry for this long I'm really looking for a home and am open to working with you guys as I really want to join your team and be a part of the work you're doing." That way you've kind of hedged your bets a bit if you shot too high.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 9, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If the offeree's ask is 60% higher than your budget then either your budget is out-of-whack low or their ask is out-of-whack high. If it's the former then you knew that before you made the offer. If it's the latter you can just tell them no that's way too high, we'd like to hire you but the max we can offer is $X, let us know by (date).

And if you recruited them rather than them applying with you, sometimes it just means they aren't really interested in switching jobs unless you pay over the moon. (I'd never flat-out say "no" to anyone, I'd just figure out what number would convince me to say yes and ask for it, even if it's astronomical; what's to lose?) The situation where they applied with you and then when offered the job ask for way, way more than market rate is pretty rare unless they're relocating from a high COL area and forgot to adjust for that or something.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The recruit vs apply thing is pretty important. Right now if I get recruited I am saying my Dubai number because I like my current job and employer.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Greetings goons.

I'm a fresh CS graduate looking to get something going with that, but don't really know anything about how to do it. Worked as a network/infrastructure guy for the last 7 years, want to switch because CS is cooler and more fulfilling personally. This means however that all of my work experience has zilch to do with software dev, so I'm not sure what to put on a resume. I read about "functional" resumes vs chronological ones but I have no idea if that's bullshit or not.Looking to get into web programming, DB stuff, or general code-monkey stuff.

I've attached an example that I whipped up for a web programming role, I'd swap out the summary and emphasize different parts of "key projects" for a different role.

https://ghostbin.co/paste/hg2pp

tl;dr switching careers, essentially zero professional experience, would appreciate some real talk from some real folk.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dalris Othaine posted:

Greetings goons.

I'm a fresh CS graduate looking to get something going with that, but don't really know anything about how to do it. Worked as a network/infrastructure guy for the last 7 years, want to switch because CS is cooler and more fulfilling personally. This means however that all of my work experience has zilch to do with software dev, so I'm not sure what to put on a resume. I read about "functional" resumes vs chronological ones but I have no idea if that's bullshit or not.Looking to get into web programming, DB stuff, or general code-monkey stuff.

I've attached an example that I whipped up for a web programming role, I'd swap out the summary and emphasize different parts of "key projects" for a different role.

https://ghostbin.co/paste/hg2pp

tl;dr switching careers, essentially zero professional experience, would appreciate some real talk from some real folk.

I hate your plain text resume.

So the team I manage is built about half of people like you, moving into devleopment jobs as a career change. The biggest thing I look for good examples of stuff people have built. You look like you potentially have some good examples there, but that's what will get you looked at.

I can't really tell because its just a cut and paste from your resume, but you are trying to build a resume that looks like its a combination of Network Guy and Software Guy, so you're going to lose to a resume that's a software guy. I'd be interested in looking at at actual copy of your resume but you probably need to emphasize the dev skills and examples more.

When did you graduate with the CS degree, recently?

Basically, you need to look at entry/newbie jobs (your second job will be a lot easier and likely better), and you need to emphasize your dev skills and de-emphasize (though don't remove) the other stuff.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lockback posted:

I hate your plain text resume.

So the team I manage is built about half of people like you, moving into devleopment jobs as a career change. The biggest thing I look for good examples of stuff people have built. You look like you potentially have some good examples there, but that's what will get you looked at.

I can't really tell because its just a cut and paste from your resume, but you are trying to build a resume that looks like its a combination of Network Guy and Software Guy, so you're going to lose to a resume that's a software guy. I'd be interested in looking at at actual copy of your resume but you probably need to emphasize the dev skills and examples more.

When did you graduate with the CS degree, recently?

Basically, you need to look at entry/newbie jobs (your second job will be a lot easier and likely better), and you need to emphasize your dev skills and de-emphasize (though don't remove) the other stuff.

It's the whole resume - the only thing the cut and paste is missing is formatting. I'll grab an image version. I don''t think there's any network guy stuff on there except for work experience? Should I cut that for more project stuff?

Graduated this month btw!

Image version: https://imgur.com/a/73wg5qG

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dalris Othaine posted:

It's the whole resume - the only thing the cut and paste is missing is formatting. I'll grab an image version. I don''t think there's any network guy stuff on there except for work experience? Should I cut that for more project stuff?

Ok, that's a bit easier to read.

1) Cut this down to 1 page. You have way too much fluff
2) Do you have a github for those projects? It might have just been redacted but if the answer is no your resume is getting tossed. If these projects aren't the kind of thing you want a developer manager to see then build some applications that are good enough.
3) Turn your "Key Attributes" to skills and just list what you can do. Languages, DB (One of your projects list Mongo but you don't have it listed as a skill?), networking sys/admin stuff.
4) You are getting dangerously close to being a reasonable DevOps person. Get some cloud experience (there are some great free AWS and Azure stuff out there) and that direction can be very lucrative and fun.
5) I am not a big fan of this format for new people. It's hard to dig through. This is opinion and may not be universal but for entry level people I like a 2 column resume on 1 page like this: https://resumegenius.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Janitor-Resume-Example-Template.png
6) Get your projects on github and only list 2 with 1 line explanation. You don't need to tell me what UI/UX is a challenge, I am a developer manager I know its a challenge.
7) list the jobs with some accomplishments if you can. This is more important than listing all the info about 5 different projects.

Basically I'd essentially start over but the content I think is mostly good.

Bonus: You gave yourself credit for "Trimming the fat" and then your resume has tons of fat. :eek:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lockback posted:

Bonus: You gave yourself credit for "Trimming the fat" and then your resume has tons of fat. :eek:

Yeah, but I don't know what counts as fat! I am goon, all is fat. This is exactly what I was looking for to fix that, so, thanks! It's easy for me to get stuck in an endless loop of "well does this matter? what about this? But what if I need that?"

Here's a rough draft with your suggestions baked in: https://imgur.com/a/po6DZhQ How's she look?

I'm digging out the source code for some of these and putting them up on github. While that goes though, some followup questions:

1) Does it matter if some of the projects I've worked on aren't "professional"? i.e., if I did a minecraft mod for a goon server once
2) For things like noSQL, should I list the ones I can use or just the ones I've used in actual projects? (i.e. we used MongoDB for that app, but we almost went with Cassandra because we knew both)
3) Do you have a recommendation for some good cloud stuff? I can put something together while I bash my head against the jobs industry.
E: 4) Something something ATS?
5) include networking/virtualization stuff in skills or no?

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 11, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Some of those Q the answer is going to depend on the job you're applying for. Ex: If they use cassandra, highlight that, and same for mongo.

Especially if it's $BigCorp and you have to clear the keyword scan and/or clueless recruiter looking for word matches.

Idk about stuff like minecraft mods. I work in tech (not eng) and I would see it as a mild + just because it shows some personality.

but! "real" projects matter a ton more and the fun stuff might distract. So I would limit to your favorite or most interesting thing. That stuff also makes great interview convo fodder.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dalris Othaine posted:

Lockback posted:

Ok, that's a bit easier to read.

1) Cut this down to 1 page. You have way too much fluff
2) Do you have a github for those projects? It might have just been redacted but if the answer is no your resume is getting tossed. If these projects aren't the kind of thing you want a developer manager to see then build some applications that are good enough.
3) Turn your "Key Attributes" to skills and just list what you can do. Languages, DB (One of your projects list Mongo but you don't have it listed as a skill?), networking sys/admin stuff.
4) You are getting dangerously close to being a reasonable DevOps person. Get some cloud experience (there are some great free AWS and Azure stuff out there) and that direction can be very lucrative and fun.
5) I am not a big fan of this format for new people. It's hard to dig through. This is opinion and may not be universal but for entry level people I like a 2 column resume on 1 page like this: https://resumegenius.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Janitor-Resume-Example-Template.png
6) Get your projects on github and only list 2 with 1 line explanation. You don't need to tell me what UI/UX is a challenge, I am a developer manager I know its a challenge.
7) list the jobs with some accomplishments if you can. This is more important than listing all the info about 5 different projects.

Basically I'd essentially start over but the content I think is mostly good.

Agree with all of this and want to add:
1- You have an actual bonafide CS degree. Put that at the top, include dates of completion and GPA since you're a new grad.

I've also made some posts on CS undergrads/new grads ITT that might help, I reposted them below:

Vprisoner posted:

Trimmed it down to most relevant experience.

Not bad. I’m on phone so grain of salt on this:

You have a lot of white space which you can probably use to improve scanability. I like the layout but my eyes didn’t know where to go to see your highlights.

Your highlights as you know are:
-actual bonafide CS grad from a real school
-have worked on project that made money and had customers

Lead your summary with: Computer Science Graduate (3.0 GPA) with 3 years of web development experience.

Nitpicky:
NSF abbreviation should be in parenthesis

Dik Hz posted:

3.0 GPA isn't brag-worthy. I'd leave it off unless requested. 3.0 is a rounded off B-. That line break between Clear and Lake is really grating on me. Convention is to use present simple and not present continuous verb tense on your current role. The convention is also to bullet each sentence in your job descriptions rather than having one omnibus bullet. Also, I don't think a 5 year-old NSF scholarship is adding anything positive to your resume.

Honestly, your resume is fine-ish for an entry level recent grad. I don't think it's the primary thing holding you back. Have you tried temp agencies? They can be a good way for a recent grad to get their food in the door.

I agree it isn’t brag worthy but strongly disagree with taking it off. A new CS grad with no GPA listed usually means <3.0. People will, at least sometimes, assume the worst. This resume is middle of the pack for my entry level applicants.

Inner Light posted:

This is telling of the current labor market too, I think. A very interesting anecdote for the world of IT / software dev. Is that 91 applicants for a single position?

To me it says there are a ton of CS grads or at least CS-adjacent professionals right now. At the moment the market demand is able to support them, but in 10 years will it be over saturated? I'm not sure.

Of course if you said 10 years ago it would be saturated today you'd be wrong.

Yep, single position in 3 weeks. Here was the breakdown from my 91 applicants for an entry-level python job.

I was very curious what the breakdown was since the advice I am leaning toward with strawberrymoose with coding is that he'd better have some good projects to show off because he's gonna have a tough go at coding jobs.

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers. Bold are the ones I interviewed or I at least wrote some favorable notes on. Ugrad means they're currently in undergrad, otherwise they'd graduated. The places in parenthesis are where their undergrad was from.

maxidious posted:

Looking for a change of company/scenery as I've been working for the same company for a long time. Looking for technology management positions.

Roast me :supaburn:

I gave it a quick glance and thought it was decent and had the following nit picky thoughts:

- Your undefined acronyms arent too bad as they are common in that field but I give this advice a lot: Don't assume the people reading your resume are all technical and in your field. Avoid using acronyms without spelling them out. Someone in HR or a skip level might no know what CI/CD, ETL, MVP, refer to.
- IMO, avoid the use of weasel words as they soften confident statement of facts. E.g. "5 years of experience" versus "over 5 years of experience"
- aol.com email address in tech

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dalris Othaine posted:

Yeah, but I don't know what counts as fat! I am goon, all is fat. This is exactly what I was looking for to fix that, so, thanks! It's easy for me to get stuck in an endless loop of "well does this matter? what about this? But what if I need that?"

Here's a rough draft with your suggestions baked in: https://imgur.com/a/po6DZhQ How's she look?

I'm digging out the source code for some of these and putting them up on github. While that goes though, some followup questions:

1) Does it matter if some of the projects I've worked on aren't "professional"? i.e., if I did a minecraft mod for a goon server once
2) For things like noSQL, should I list the ones I can use or just the ones I've used in actual projects? (i.e. we used MongoDB for that app, but we almost went with Cassandra because we knew both)
3) Do you have a recommendation for some good cloud stuff? I can put something together while I bash my head against the jobs industry.
E: 4) Something something ATS?
5) include networking/virtualization stuff in skills or no?

This is a good start! I'd still cut down the info on the projects and include some accomplishments on the latest 2 jobs. It doesn't have to be much, but a couple lines would help.

1. Yeah that's fine. Its nice to have a mix though. If its all gaming stuff it'll look bad but I'd say 60% of the people I talk to have some sort of game or mod or something in the mix.

2. You should list anything you feel comfortable answering questions about. You can always put down something like a group of skills you are proficient at and a group you have exposure to.

3. AWS and Azure, there's free certs offered by Amazon/MS there's udemy, etc.

4. ??

5. YES! That's the kind of stuff that might get you noticed as a entry-level DevOps job (even though I think most devops people probably should start with a year or two in a SDLC environment).

If you're looking for additional skills, I'd also look at Python and Javascript (in that order) to expand out who'd be interested in you. Also know that right now I'm seeing lots and lots of entry-level guys looking for work and not a lot of those jobs yet. A year ago it was a lot easier for new people. So it may take some time. Important thing is to keep building those skills and keep adding stuff.

edit: Yeah, put your degree on top. Once you get some experience you can move that to the bottom but for now it is a big plus. You can keep it on the right column but it should go first.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 11, 2021

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Good poo poo, everyone. Thank you!!

Lockback posted:

3. AWS and Azure, there's free certs offered by Amazon/MS there's udemy, etc.

4. ??

Coool. Are certs generally worthwhile or do they sort of average out into "noise" after two or three?

Also, is there anything special I should do to make the resume ATS-readable?

CarForumPoster posted:

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers.

And thank you especially for in depth degree info. Did you interview PhD-in-Physics guy? I am fascinated by his story.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dalris Othaine posted:

Good poo poo, everyone. Thank you!!

Coool. Are certs generally worthwhile or do they sort of average out into "noise" after two or three?

Also, is there anything special I should do to make the resume ATS-readable?

Depends on the cert. For AWS/Azure the knowledge and ability to use it and speak to it is more valuable. If you had that knowledge I wouldn't worry too much about a certification. You just want it on your resume and you want to be able to talk about it intelligently. Cisco Networking certs are useless for what direction you're looking at, btw.

And I dunno about ATS. I actually legit read every resume myself. That's why I push people on putting stuff in a format that is easy to reference info from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Lockback posted:

Depends on the cert. For AWS/Azure the knowledge and ability to use it and speak to it is more valuable. If you had that knowledge I wouldn't worry too much about a certification. You just want it on your resume and you want to be able to talk about it intelligently. Cisco Networking certs are useless for what direction you're looking at, btw.

And I dunno about ATS. I actually legit read every resume myself. That's why I push people on putting stuff in a format that is easy to reference info from.

Makes sense. Thanks again very much!