Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I hired someone recently that started with them reaching out when we didn't have a req open yet.

I had had a connection to this person previously but hadn't talked with them in a while. He was also actively interested in advice as I had told him not to take a sales engineering job and he did anyway and hated it and then got laid off. So he was interested in both any upcoming openings but also "ok, what should I do to get my career going?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

I hired someone recently that started with them reaching out when we didn't have a req open yet.

I had had a connection to this person previously but hadn't talked with them in a while. He was also actively interested in advice as I had told him not to take a sales engineering job and he did anyway and hated it and then got laid off. So he was interested in both any upcoming openings but also "ok, what should I do to get my career going?"

Related: Ask for advice to get money/job/investor is age old advice but I find it only works when the desire for the advice is genuine. People see through it as a ploy almost instantly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There are companies here in Seattle that I'm very interested in and used to be my dream employer, but they've gone through layoffs in the past year, and I haven't seen them post any new job postings since then.

And they're kind of niche, like one of them is an e-bike company. Actually, picked this particular company to do a big project in business school.

Maybe I should contact a few people there about their industry and they'll have me in the back of their mind should any jobs open up in the future.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

So one thing about cold reachouts is that you want to make it easy for them to want to respond to you. Find the ones at the ebike company that have a career history that matches where you are currently, and tell them you're where they used to be and want to know how they made it to where they are now. People love to talk about what they did to be successful, give them the opportunity.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mustang posted:

There are companies here in Seattle that I'm very interested in and used to be my dream employer, but they've gone through layoffs in the past year, and I haven't seen them post any new job postings since then.

And they're kind of niche, like one of them is an e-bike company. Actually, picked this particular company to do a big project in business school.

Maybe I should contact a few people there about their industry and they'll have me in the back of their mind should any jobs open up in the future.

Sounds like a plan and I have no extra advice regarding reaching out. One thought though: hoo boy the ebike industry seems like a brutally competitive one with almost no barrier to entry other than brand. If you're gonna roll the dice on an industry with a lot of entrants and just as many losers, pick one thats growing and is already that the size you want to work for. I'd perhaps look for one that's vertically integrated as far as design too, i.e. they design and make (or use an OEM in Asia) their own battery pack, electronic speed controller, etc. The companies assembling third party commoditized components tend to struggle more when demand plateaus and dont have the technical spirit/know how to innovate.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have a 3 hr big boy interview later this week

:ohdear:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Had my next interview with Amazon today, went great. It was basically a formality. They were very impressed during the loop interview and they want me on their team, I just didn't get the first role because it involved more advanced modelling and they wanted to find me a better fit.

So it's same title, same team, slightly different models and reports. He wants me to email him and he'll set me up with someone on their team to get me started learning the models and reports they use.

As far as the job, I found out for sure next week if I get approved to backfill someone leaving their team. Sounds like hiring is very.... particular and involves way higher levels of approval than I'd expect. Which I guess isn't too surprising given the current conditions of the tech industry.

If I don't get approved to backfill their team they want to find me another role at Amazon. Manager, senior manager, and VP all want to add comments to my profile to help me out if that's the case.

I spent like 20-25 hours preparing for that loop interview. Even not getting a role there my interview skills are way better from all of that prep.

CarForumPoster posted:

Sounds like a plan and I have no extra advice regarding reaching out. One thought though: hoo boy the ebike industry seems like a brutally competitive one with almost no barrier to entry other than brand. If you're gonna roll the dice on an industry with a lot of entrants and just as many losers, pick one thats growing and is already that the size you want to work for. I'd perhaps look for one that's vertically integrated as far as design too, i.e. they design and make (or use an OEM in Asia) their own battery pack, electronic speed controller, etc. The companies assembling third party commoditized components tend to struggle more when demand plateaus and dont have the technical spirit/know how to innovate.

The company is Rad Power Bikes, which I believe is the largest e-bike company in the US and it's headquartered here in Seattle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Your amazonian attributes are showing

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They're the closest anyone has come to offering me a job that not only pays me, but pays well. Like $50k higher.

I'll take what I can get.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Alas, my own Amazonian adventure (for a Sr HRBP role) has come to an end after the phone screen round. I spent about 7 hours preparing, maybe that wasn't enough, but I'd like to think what primarily decided things is that the client group for which the role had been advertised and which I have the most experience supporting (engineering) turned out during the interview to no longer have an opening; instead, the role would be supporting a totally different group (supply chain). Definitely agree that even the much smaller amount of time I spent has improved my interviewee skills.

It's too bad, but cushioning the blow is the fact that I have a final round of interviews tomorrow for a Director role that would represent an even bigger career step (it just wouldn't carry the Amazon pedigree) in terms of scale and responsibilities. It's a 4-day on site gig thats a 40 minute [reverse] commute but it takes me right past my kids' school for pickup/dropoff. I figure people do worse all the time (I used to be one of them) and toughing out some extra audiobook listening for two years seems very doable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I did the Amazon loop a couple years ago and it was interesting. It’s quick and intense and they don’t leave you hanging which I liked. It was strange because the original group did not offer to me but I was passed along to another manager who talked to me for 15 minutes then I got an offer from them. Ended up backing out of an offer due to some miscommunication about the job location (would have had to relocate internationally) but was impressed with the whole interview/hiring process. Others like Microsoft seemed a lot more slapdash and could drag out for weeks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
After every interaction I've had with Amazon, including fairly senior folks, I'm more confused at the idea that Amazon has a "pedigree." What would having Amazon on your resume show? Permanent personality damage?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It proves that you made it through their interview process.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You don't understand why one of the most valuable companies in the world looks good on someone's resume?

Three quarters of the people I know here in Seattle work for either Amazon, Google, or Microsoft and they bounce around the various big tech companies for advancement.

Having Amazon on my resume would absolutely make any future job searches or career changes a thousand times easier.

There's no shortage of things to criticize about Amazon but I don't think their ability to make money is one of them.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Discendo Vox posted:

After every interaction I've had with Amazon, including fairly senior folks, I'm more confused at the idea that Amazon has a "pedigree." What would having Amazon on your resume show? Permanent personality damage?

Sure, and this has been my experience with FAANGers generally, but those companies have established a certain credibility that functions as a shorthand for aptitude. In addition to the above, in a field like HR, for example, working for Amazon (or Google or Netflix or MS or Apple etc) suggests experience navigating some of the largest employee bases in one of the most complex commercial organizations on the planet, and familiarity with all of the frameworks and methodologies necessary for places like that to keep growing and innovating. It's not nothing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My comment was largely tongue in cheek- I understand that having a FAANG on your resume is helpful professionally. My sentiment is more that the company's profitability probably shouldn't be considered a shorthand for individual credibility or aptitude, especially for Amazon, where the actual experience of working within the company structure seems to approach parodic levels of dysfunction and toxicity, and a lot of their capacity for growth or innovation seems to be a product of insurmountable marketshare and resources. If I saw an Amazon work history of any length crossing my desk at the midlevel, I'd prep additional STARs about work-life balance expectations (including for others) and sharing credit and resources with lateral colleagues.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Ok that’s cool Discendo Vox, but is the resume and interview thread really the place for navel gazing and/or talking poo poo about the company someone just scored a rare win at

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have encountered plenty of people with poor work life balances at mid-tier companies

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Discendo Vox posted:

My sentiment is more that the company's profitability probably shouldn't be considered a shorthand for individual credibility or aptitude,
Presumably this is why you conduct interviews and don't just hire based on having a FAANG on the CV.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Had my next interview with Amazon today, went great. It was basically a formality. They were very impressed during the loop interview and they want me on their team, I just didn't get the first role because it involved more advanced modelling and they wanted to find me a better fit.

(words)

congrats on keeping at it and getting through all this. I can't recall any other recent poster going into such detail about their FAMAG/FAANG/whatever-big-tech hiring process. if you have links/tips/etc that should be added to the OP, please post away and a mod will eventually edit stuff in

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If a role has a posted salary range of $X - $Y, is applying and eventually asking for as much as 20% more than $Y bad form?

This is a major US corporation but the role is honestly underpaid compared to the industry average to the point where I wonder whether they internally have tiers and this is for a lower tier or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dpkg chopra posted:

If a role has a posted salary range of $X - $Y, is applying and eventually asking for as much as 20% more than $Y bad form?

This is a major US corporation but the role is honestly underpaid compared to the industry average to the point where I wonder whether they internally have tiers and this is for a lower tier or something.

Not bad form but also I think its something you should probably bring up early as they have that range for a reason. There are reasons why they might have it posted under market (not every job can have an above average salary) and I don't think it's particularly scummy if they are up front about it. It's likely looking for a more junior person or they want more of a warm body than the posting implies.

It's possible they may just not understand the market or may like you enough to up-level, but if they are willing to put ranges that correspond closely to what they want, then it makes sense to make your expectations also clear.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Not bad form but also I think its something you should probably bring up early as they have that range for a reason. There are reasons why they might have it posted under market (not every job can have an above average salary) and I don't think it's particularly scummy if they are up front about it. It's likely looking for a more junior person or they want more of a warm body than the posting implies.

It's possible they may just not understand the market or may like you enough to up-level, but if they are willing to put ranges that correspond closely to what they want, then it makes sense to make your expectations also clear.

This makes sense, thanks!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
When applying to a job on linkedin, sometimes it has drop downs for a handful of specific skills related to the job. Am I correct in assuming that if you do not have yes to all of these questions your resume will never get read? There is a job where I have almost 20 years experience with 99% of what the job description asks for, but there is one bullet point listed that I have not done that also happens to be one of the dropdown questions of "have you run this specific thing". It seems kind of dumb to have the experience I do with the more complicated parts of the job description that take months to become proficient in, but then go straight into the trash for missing one thing that can be learned in an afternoon, if that is how those screening questions work.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pain of Mind posted:

When applying to a job on linkedin, sometimes it

Job posters have an option as to whether questions should be required or not and the value required. If its marked required you get autofiltered.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Pain of Mind posted:

When applying to a job on linkedin, sometimes it has drop downs for a handful of specific skills related to the job.

Can you apply on the company website?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

TheWevel posted:

Can you apply on the company website?

I checked, it wasn't there. I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets posted later. My wife just said to lie and research it before you get there, but I would rather not.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Any goons care to pick apart a friend's resume with comments/suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OHnCJCqEuYeOT54rOw7VKs7eRlHIIvMY/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=112415698982015824711&rtpof=true&sd=true

Ignore that it is an awkward two pages... the formatting on his end when saved in pdf is down to one page.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OHnCJCqEuYeOT54rOw7VKs7eRlHIIvMY/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=112415698982015824711&rtpof=true&sd=true

Ignore that it is an awkward two pages... the formatting on his end when saved in pdf is down to one page.

At a glance seems solid for a 10yr highly technical Python dev.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gin_Rummy posted:

This looks pretty loving solid. There is only two actual errors I could find.

You started one line with an adverb and the present tense "Currently Serving" which breaks the flow. Make them all match tense and make them lead with a Verb: action word. "Led engineering team of 5 for the blah blah blah." Note: I see some people say that your current gig should be present tense, but I disagree. Accomplishments are always past tense inherently, so making them present seems weird to me. So long as each bullet point within a position heading all match tense with each other, that's fine.

Put your educations in reverse chronological order, same as your positions. So MS on to, BS on the bottom.

Here come some nitpicks. Feel free to ignore them all if you don't fancy the heartache of making these changes.

You use a lot of abbreviations, initialisms and acronyms. Just think to yourself, "Will the person reading this resume have heard of this?" If the answer is no, consider defining the term. Like, you wouldn't define REST because it's too common, and LDAP might be the same. What about CVS? I googled that and I got an ancient version control system that hasn't had a new release since you were in college, according to Wikipedia.

By context, it sounds like CLUE might be the name of an internal project or tool? I think there's disagreement but I typically don't refer to project names except as clearly delineated: "The Stairs Project" "The Mangosteen Product Line" etc.

Your third bullet point (starting with "Spearheaded") is kind of long. I don't have the grammatical chops to put this into a real 'rule' but I think for bullet points you should try and choose one: comma separated lists or nonrestrictive modifying clauses. That is to say, I think it's a little noisy and dissonant to have "Ate a banana, an apple, an eggplant, a cranberry, and a durian,(comma with a different meaning) resulting in me getting my five-a-day." Similarly, typically because resume bullet points are sentence fragments, you can cut out some articles. However, if you can't be hosed, just leave it. That bullet point is more than fine to my eye.

I assume the 'Circle K' bit is a replaced reference to a student organization, such as Anime Club or Boffer Sports or Disc Golf? It's hard to say without knowing what it is, but unless it's a something really impressive or a fraternal organization for Python devs or something, you can probably safely remove that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Personally I like a skills section on developer's resumes but this person is senior enough that "Dig into it and see for yourself" isn't entirely unjustified. Some people may not be willing to do that though.

Otherwise, yeah this is pretty solid.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

Personally I like a skills section on developer's resumes but this person is senior enough that "Dig into it and see for yourself" isn't entirely unjustified. Some people may not be willing to do that though.

Agreed. There was a skills section originally, but it was removed at my suggestion. If we added it back in, we would just have to trim back the meaty bullets that matter more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd take a small skills section but also this person could probably have a two pager.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Quick cover letter question: What's the nice way to say "I had to do a shitton of responsibilites as a Lead role despite not being a lead, because we didn't have one and I had to step up/was unofficially designated as Lead by everyone including higher-ups"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Quick cover letter question: What's the nice way to say "I had to do a shitton of responsibilites as a Lead role despite not being a lead, because we didn't have one and I had to step up/was unofficially designated as Lead by everyone including higher-ups"

"In my previous role, I took on substantial leadership responsibilities, effectively acting as a de facto lead despite not holding the official title. Due to the absence of a designated lead and the recognition of my abilities by both my peers and superiors, I naturally assumed a leadership role within the team. This experience provided me with invaluable opportunities to demonstrate my leadership capabilities and adaptability in managing complex tasks and projects."

Chatgpt 3.5 wrote that and I think it works pretty well

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The phrase is "acting lead".

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Figured I might send a post-interview thank you note for once. Anything in particular that should go in one?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Figured I might send a post-interview thank you note for once. Anything in particular that should go in one?

Keep it short and positive. I typically like a little detail that lets me know its not a form email.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I like to write something to the effect of:

Hi Hr Person, thanks so much for coordinating the interview with the team. I really enjoyed meeting with Person A and Person B and learning about the Project they are working on. I look forward to blah blah etc...

This way I have a written and searchable record of who I met with and what we discussed. This can come in handy when you're in multiple concurrent loops to keep track of who is who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

job that seems cool posted:

please be ready to provide contact information for 5 professional references (including 2 professors or supervisors). If you are identified as a finalist for this role, you will be asked to invite your references to complete a SkillSurvey questionnaire on your behalf. SkillSurvey is an online reference check solution.

this is the most overkill thing I've seen in a while