Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
This is my first time applying for a somewhat "big girl" job, so my apologies if these questions are stupid.

If I am sending my resume in via email, should I attach the cover letter as a document, or use it as the body of my email?

Also, where so I get resume and cover letter layouts? I don't have Word, unfortunately. I'm using Open Office. Thanks!

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

hitension posted:

I don't think the questions are stupid, but PLEASE drop the phrase "big girl job". The Ask a Manager blog does a better job explaining why it is bad than I ever could:

http://www.askamanager.org/2013/05/please-stop-calling-it-a-big-girl-job.html

I usually stuck the cover letter as the body of the e-mail AND attached the doc file to the e-mail. Some people are old school and like to print out your resume/cover letter so having the file is handy; however it's nice to open an e-mail and immediately read what you want to read instead of having to click another thing and wait for a file to download.

I would never (and didn't) use the phrase in my cover letter. I was just being casual and silly here. Didn't mean to scare you! Even so, that article did give me a little kick. I should stop that mentality altogether!

Thanks for responding to my questions. I was leaning towards doing both, just to cover my bases. I'm probably over-thinking things, but better safe than sorry!

Quarex posted:

I am literally stunned that someone would use a phrase like that in a cover letter. Literally stunned. I am unable to move or speak or type.

I was just kidding!!!