Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
OP says, "Unless this is your first job out of college, put your education at the end of the resume and emphasize it as little as possible." It's not my real first job out of college, but it's my real first job in the field related to my degree out of college. I graduated in 2012, have been working in an unrelated field since. Should I still put my education on the bottom? I feel that my education is an important factor in this position I'm applying to (administrative work at an art museum).

Edit: Is it also horrible of me to use "industry specific" words? IE: batik vs "rozome" (I studied textiles)

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What's the consensus on objectives or summaries being on your resume? I remember hearing it's a waste of space, but I'm going through a resume work book and they suggest putting one in.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I think I checked off all the bullet points in the OP, so if it's not too much to ask can someone go over my resume? I'm trying to get a job more related to my degree but something I actually don't have too much experience in. This is my first draft of my resume, so I don't expect it to be pretty.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1286849/resume.docx

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bisty Q. posted:

You should edit this to not include your real name/contact information.

Your skills section should be wiped out and tailored for each particular job you're applying for. The generic statements you have their now are too "telly". You want to show how you have these traits, not just tell people you have them. You also should try hard to tie together your experience into some cohesive story about the jobs in question.

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do from this resume. I'd guess something with fabrics/textiles? In that case, you should move the button company job to the top, and put your current job below that. Yes, I'm aware this is not chronological, but the resume is a sales document and you need to sell.

Remove the non-degree seeking time - there's no reason to have it there, nor is the stuff from the language institute, unless you are trying to specifically demonstrate Japan/Japanese knowledge, in which case you should leave it.

Your tenses don't match in some of your job bullet points. If one is in past tense, they all should be. You also are explaining your duties instead of listing your accomplishments. For the vet job, bullets 1-4 are all worthless. Your title communicates that information. Instead, list how your responsibilities progressed and how your duties have grown. Talk about increased responsibility and trust. Provide some sort of numbers for every bullet point you can. How many calls/day do you answer? How many employees did you train? Stuff like that.

I guess I was under the impression that you explained your list of skills in your cover letter? I keep getting a lot of conflicting information about what I should do and should not do and it's getting confusing.

I know it's a general resume, but for a few of the jobs I've been looking at (administrative positions in galleries and museums) I tried to hit the qualifications and skills that they list. The reason I had the non-degree seeking stuff was because at the time I was working on my resume I was applying for a position for an Asian art museum, and I'll probably apply to another. I'll remove it I guess?

The problem with my current job at the vet is that I've been there about a year and I've really made no progress. It's not that my coworkers and manager don't like me, it's that they're very clique-y and unwilling to change how things are. It leaves me with very little room to learn and improve when I'm pushed aside frequently for someone who has been working with a doctor for 3 years and they'll never, ever, EVER get a new technician. This is partially why I'm trying to leave - there's no room for movement and even if I tried and bent over backwards (which plenty of people do and they look like dweebs in the process), I would get nowhere. I know clientele like me and I do pretty good at my job as my clinic manager has told me before, but because everyone is pretty set with how it was 10 years ago, nothing is going to really change.

Other than changing it to fit each job I apply for (which makes sense and is what I was doing prior to re-vamping my resume), does it at least look OK?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
When you email a cover letter as a PDF, do you still put the company's name, address, phone #, etc. with it? I have a letterhead that I made so it has my information, but I wasn't sure if I still include theirs.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Xandu posted:

Seems unnecessary.

Thats kind of how I felt. Thanks.

Edit: Is it bad to send it as a .pdf? I feel weird sending it as a .doc or whatever because of all the tables I use.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Are cover letters really this simple? I've been going about writing these all wrong.

I always wonder the same thing. On one hand people tell me they are literally that simple, but then they link me to websites that tell me managers only want to read coverletters that are like short novels about your life and skills.

I feel pretty confident about my resume, but goddamn writing cover letters makes me poo poo my pants. I'm so horrible at it.