Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have an interview tomorrow for an internship position where I also need to turn in a résumé. I only had one piece of thick, high quality paper and a printing error left it with some repetitious text on the back. Now I need to choose, do I hand it in explaining to ignore the back because it was a printing error, or do I turn it in on regular paper without the error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thank you very much for your responses, I will definitely go with the regular paper.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the tips here and also the ones in the interview thread, my interview went very well. I now just need to wait until the start of August to hear back, but I'm confident that I'll have the internship.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks interview thread! With your tips I managed to do so well in an interview that they denied me the position, because they want me to apply for a better one!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever have an interview where they didn't ask you about yourself at all and only talked about the position, then asked if you had any questions? I still snuck in relevant stories of my triumph in related situations, but it was such an odd interview process. It gave me the impression they already had a candidate selected and that the interviews were a formality.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If there are multiple positions I'm interested in at a large company (but all in the same domain and location), should I:
1. Apply to all of them
2. Apply to the one I'm most interested in (Highest level with job duties I'm qualified for, but with a listed years of experience requirement greater than what I have), or
3. Apply to the one that has the greatest match to my years of experience (Lowest level, even though my KSAs far surpass the needs of the role)

If this was a smaller company I'd try to give a solid pitch about why the highest level position is the best fit for me, but the size of this organization is large enough that they clearly have a pretty formalized system that may or may not be amendable to such an attempt.
I'm more interested in what the company does and how I can contribute than any specifics of my job role, though obviously I want the highest paying position they'll take me for while still fitting my competencies.

I also managed to get my hands on the email for the HR person responsible for answering questions related to these roles, but I'm unsure how I should phrase my question.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
OP claims:

"Start with a summary of qualifications and tailor it for every job you apply to. The recruiter/hiring manager will read this and should hear all sorts of bells go off, because you stuff it with keywords that are the same as in the job description. Easy peasy."

For online applications where everything is a form, but there's room for an uploaded cover letter document, should I do this at the start of the cover letter instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
How the heck do I keep up motivation in the search process. It’s more emotionally draining to me than anything else. It sometimes takes me upwards of an hour to put in a single application with how much information they’re requesting outside of what’s on my resume, and I feel like applications turn into interviews at extremely low rates.