Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I have an interview tomorrow for a paid internship with a research institute attached to a university. I have a Masters and some of the leads in the institute also only have Masters so it's not a place where everything is done by people with PhDs which I found interesting especially considering the university affiliation.

What are they likely to ask me? I spent some time thinking about interview questions and I came up with knowledge-based ones like "tell me what factors can influence this process that you'll be working on" and "what do you know how to do with R" and "what skills have you gained at your current job [I got a job in consultancy straight out of uni but we don't do Real Science there and I hate it] that would help you work for us" which is what I would ask, but a co-worker of mine generously went through a mock interview with me and she asked me things like "tell me about a time when you had to overcome a communication challenge" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell me about a time that you've used statistics" and now I don't know what to expect. I'm going to be interviewed by two technical people who I will be working with (one of whom is a former professor who probably doesn't remember me because I didn't really like his class) not HR people. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm working through an online job application. In one of the sections, it runs through all the "required" and "desirable" qualifications/experience asking for a yes/no answer (drop-down list) and has little boxes for each saying "If yes, provide examples of how you gained this experience".

Obviously, for the required qualifications I can/will give unequivocal yesses along with good examples, but for some of the desirable qualifications that I don't quite have, I'm not sure how to answer them.

For example:

"Do you have experience with x y and z?" I've done z but nothing resembling x and y. I think I should say "yes" and explain that I've done z, but how do I avoid giving the impression that I haven't properly understood the question? Preface with "While I have not yet had the opportunity to do x and y..." or will that make them not look at the rest of it?

"Have you lead and coordinated [program]?" I have not, but I have contributed to the planning and implementation. Do I say yes? How do I frame it?

e: I just checked and it won't let me fill in the little box if I answer "no".

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 27, 2013

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I had an interview today. It went okay (not great, but it was for a position that's possibly a bit beyond me, so fine) and one thing I noticed was I tended to trail off at the end of my answers to questions. They were competency-based, not bs questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", but rather "tell me about a time when you did this specific thing that would be useful for the job". Tips on how to end answers to questions like that firmly and positively without just trailing off?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm guessing Hitler.