Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

movax posted:

Stock options are new to me though...should I be asking for more shares? It's 2k right now, 25% vesture after year 1, 6.25% each after afterward at a fixed price. What's in-the-money vs. out-the-money exactly?
Call options are the right to buy shares at the strike price. If the stock price is above the strike price, it's in the money.

So, let's pretend your strike price is $10 and the stock price is at 15, and it's a year after you started. You can now exercise 25% of your options to get 500 shares that are worth $7500 for $5000. You have a few ways you can do this:
  • Fork over $5K is the simplest, and you now own 500 shares at $15.
  • You can do what's called a "sell to cover" where you'll sell off $5000 of your $15/share stock and get the rest, e.g. sell 334 shares @ $15 to get $5010, and you'll now hold 166 shares at $15.
  • You can sell the whole thing and collect $2500, minus fees and such and you'll have to withhold/save for taxes.

Out of the money just means that your stock is below the strike price, which means they're worthless (you never want to pay $10 for an $8 stock, right?). And note the last point in the previous paragraph: just because they're "in the money" doesn't mean you make money. You have to cover fees and taxes.

edit: simplistic strategy: if you think the stock is going to skyrocket, sit on the options as long as you can. If you think it'll go mostly up but it might go down, and you're gonna hold it, sell to cover. If you think it's as high as it's gonna go, exercise and sell the whole thing (and put it in a better investment).

edit2: I'd ask for more salary before I'd ask for more options unless I thought I was working at some new Apple/Google/etc. Assume options are worth nothing until there's serious evidence otherwise.

bort fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's probably paranoia about being equal opportunity. If they don't ask everyone exactly the same questions, they may be giving someone an advantage. Your enthusiasm puts them in a difficult position, since you put them in a position where they may give you information someone else doesn't get.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

What do you mean, can I swim? Are you asking me that because I'm black?!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

To add to the "don't beat yourself up" message: the default is failure and remind yourself that you're interviewing them. The position being in an unfavorable location is a huge strike against them, and they have to overcome that. You may not get the next one and that's okay.

CEOs are also challenging interviews, because nobody really checks their judgement on things and they can dislike you for any reason. I try to always be overly respectful of their time. If I ran out of questions, I'd say I'm excited about learning more from the hiring manager and SMEs and thank them for taking time to meet with me.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I've had two full interview processes where everything is going right and I'm clicking with the team, and I expected offers. I get rejected and later find out they were using me to make sure they had a qualified candidate for comparison, so they could hire the person they'd already picked. Recruiters gave that up because I badgered them about wasting my time, and they wanted to be off the hook. You are sometimes in a situation where you can't succeed.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I recommend staying away from the LI feed. Click Jobs as soon as the page loads. The people who post there have something wrong with them. I compare LinkedIn to the Bill Mumy little kid in the Twilight Zone. We normals all pretend we like LinkedIn and that the content on the site is just great because we don't want to get sent to the cornfield.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's all dating. You won't get real feedback. You won't know why someone likes you or doesn't. The default result is a failure to connect. You have to deal with being rejected or ghosted and put on that nice outfit again and smile.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I had a guy insist that I fell short because I couldn't wear enough different hats (horseshit). I did a tech screen challenge that was a stretch and got everything right, I think. I got one hiring manager really enthusiastic about my skillset and they may change the job description to better suit me. Let's hope, anyway.

Expecting to have six weeks of total ghosting and for positions to be closing as finance people get scared about Q4.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

Why email out a job rejection at 4pm on Saturday :whitewater:

It's gotta be automated, as I doubt anyone in HR is working on Saturday. I don't know if that fact makes it better or worse :sigh:
They're working. They have to avoid their partner and children in their horribly dysfunctional family. They gotta work on the weekend -- otherwise they start Monday without their desk clear and you don't want to see them when they get disorganized or before they've had their coffee!!! You won't get one on Sunday. They post on LinkedIn to relax after church and to unwind a little.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There is also no idea how to discern if the feedback you're given has anything to do with the decision or not. Even if it's true, they're not likely to say, "you were competing with an internal candidate and we needed a patsy for the process, sucks to be you." That kind of thing happens all the time.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Visa holders, also. Have to determine it was truly impossible to source it domestically.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Recruiters are hungry, too. Expect increasingly desperate tactics, unless this market finds a way to rehire all the people it's shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

"I think I was let go due to the company cutting costs."