Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Nocheez posted:

Can you list it as charity work?

Yeah there's a few ways to do it.

You can categorize it all under freelance.

You can list each event you've done as a separate job.

You can list it under volunteer/charity work.

I'd say list it separately if you were doing ongoing work for these events, like over a longer time period or if you did more than one event for an organization, otherwise categorize it as freelance. Volunteer work is nice to see on a resume, but it sounds like you're trying to showcase your experience, so I wouldn't put it under that header.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Email them, and you can do it the same day or the day after.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Depending on the company, if you google the company name and job title, you might be able to find it archived somewhere.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ah, that sucks. I remember one company attached the job description when they called me in for an interview, but I probably wouldn't request one if I were you.

I think you should be fine. I've only ever had one interview ask me directly "how does your experience fit in with the job requirements" without also reminding me of the job requirements. What you could do is simply ask during the interview, "what do you foresee someone in this position doing day to day" and then working from there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Use regular paper. You've already got the interview. High quality paper might be nicer, but at that point they're more interested in you.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Seems unnecessary.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

How long is this employment gap?

Mondlicht posted:

which I had never done before, on the really busy brunch shift. I couldn't keep up...I know that in reality they just didn't have the room to keep me.

edit:

quote:

When places I apply to ask me why I left my steady job, I tell them that I left for a new opportunity at a restaurant that did not work out. They didn't get the business they were expecting and they over hired...So far I've been honest that I've been fired, but I just tell them it was due to over hiring, which is the actual truth. The last interview I had, they really tried to get the name of the restaurant out of me. I tell them that I'm not trying to speak poorly of anyone, and I'd rather focus on my experience at the previous job I had for 3 years where all my relevant experience comes from.

If you're going to leave jobs off your resume, that's fine, but don't mention it during the interview. If you're going to say you were let go because they over hired, then the interviewer probably thinks it's a little weird that you won't mention the restaurant's name and that you don't want to "speak poorly of anyone." Maybe just keep it simple, say you took a job, it didn't work out, but you have lots of great experience and here's why you'd be a good employee. Or put it on your resume, depending on how long you were there for, it might not be as much of a problem as you think.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 4, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If you don't feel like you need a moment to collect your thoughts, then don't. But most people find it helpful to take 30-60 seconds to look at all the information they have, figure out what their hypothesis is, and how they want to structure their case. It doesn't have to be a full minute if you don't need it, but the point of the advice is that you shouldn't feel like you immediately have to answer the question and spout off whatever's on the top of your head.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 5, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

What kind of jobs is she looking at and what does she want to do? Also where do you live? There might not be demand for her skills in your area.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah K-12 French teacher and study abroad office were the first two things I thought of. Not being able to move will definitely limit her options with those though, there's only so many schools and not huge budgets in K-12 these days.

Is it reasonable for her to commute to DC? She could maybe look at organizations like IIE.

Beyond that, speaking fluent French is valuable, but it's not that rare or necessary for most companies, so she's going to have to find a way to prove her value beyond just that. Now that I look more closely at the resume, I do think it could be improved. Her most recent job, the internship in France, it doesn't really like she did anything of note. I don't think that's actually the case, she just needs to find a way to present what she actually did better, because right now I find it a little disconcerting seeing someone go from "consultant - worked on multi-million dollar projects" in 2007 to "actively participated in Welcome Day events" in 2012.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 7, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Was your job substantially affected by the change?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think the way you're doing it is good then. Part of me wonders if you even need to mention the old company name (except maybe in your cover letter) unless you think there's some name recognition to be gained from it, but I don't really know.

edit: On second thought, ignore that bit.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 23, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's common in programming jobs to have to code during an interview, so you should expect that.

The other part sounds like bad luck.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Oww My Eye posted:

Even during the phone screening?

From what I understand, yes. There was a discussion about this a few pages ago

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Unless you're applying for a job where Spain is relevant, just say you're a native speaker of Spanish.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That is a lot of empty space. You could add a skills section at the bottom with software competencies.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't have any official certifications, I still list stuff like excel, access, photoshop, etc along with some more specialized programs for my industry. Might not be relevant though, depends on the job you're applying to.

Skills and interests could work, but it really depends what you list.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Hmm, I could do something like that, yeah. I tend to use free versions of popular programs, so Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop, etc, etc. I'll try writing up a section tomorrow and seeing how it looks.

Hmm. I'm not going to tell you to lie, but in cases where the software is functionally identical, my instinct is that most hiring managers will be more receptive to/familiar with brand name programs.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe a little, but I don't think it really matters. Just make sure you're okay with them seeing whatever's at signalnoise.net...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

lol internet. posted:

I have a 6 month gap in my resume from traveling then relocating to another city. Should I address it in my resume in any way? I'm afraid potential employers will think it was because I wasn't able to find any jobs.

Where were you traveling? Did you do anything interesting? Bring it up in your cover letter.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think pretty much every career page for companies these days asks people not to call. Just email them if you're unsure.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Glassdoor, look at defense contractors that hire for a similar skill set.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, this. A lot of people get the horrible horrible horrible advice to blanket the world with their resumes in hope that some sucker company will accidentally call you. This is an awful idea, because it is completely transparent and a huge waste of your time. Tailor each application package to the job and you have a much much much higher chance of it being remotely successful.

Can someone post some examples of this? I tried doing a little of this when I was applying for jobs, emphasizing certain projects more than others depending on the job, but as an entry-level applicant, I didn't have that much experience and there didn't seem to be a lot of tailoring I could do.

It might have helped that all the jobs I looked at were in fairly similar fields.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

You give your consent for them to ask, then they go ask your college/former employer when you were there.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Draxamus posted:

Wondering if anyone could offer some advice on salary negotiations for someone who is applying to basic administrative/clerical/customer service positions. I've read some of the material linked regarding salary negotiations, but most of it assumes you have a degree or experience in some specialized technical field.

The reason for that is because you've got very little leverage, they can easily just find someone cheaper who can do essentially the same thing. I think you've got the right idea with emphasizing your previous customer service/clerical experience, but you also need be able to narrow that $10-20 range a lot more so you can figure out what they're really willing to pay you.

Finally, my suspicion is that if you keep refusing to give a number, they'll just move on to somebody who will, but I could be wrong.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I feel like if you can't get a decent idea of what the company does without asking them (and I don't mean specifics, just industry), then it's probably a scam.

edit: If they contacted you, it is totally legitimate to ask "Can you tell a little bit more about the company?," but in this case I don't think you will get the answer you want.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 10, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

So call him back and ask what company he works for. There's nothing inappropriate about that.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I would advise against applying to a more than a handful at once. I know at my company if you apply to more than like 2-3, it gets your resume thrown out.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Its fine, but you have to clarify on the resume that it is your community college GPA

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That's quite a bit of white space. Might be better to just put that area as a header instead of on the left. I don't think 'business writing skills' should be on your resume, that should be assumed or demonstrated.

edit: Should you use past-tense for your current job?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Do you want to work for a defense contractor/do you have a clearance?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Just had a phone interview go really well for a job I would love to get. Gonna write a thank you shortly. Should I ask directly about setting up an in person interview, or reiterate my interest in the job and say I look forward to meeting you in person?

A simple thank you is fine, don't be presumptuous.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Remove your objective statement, add your GPA.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pretty fancy looking. I think you can remove the Personal Details and References section, move the bit on clearances into another section (if you think it's relevant for the jobs you want). Honestly it's pretty impressive resume, so I wouldn't change much.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

My suspicion is that you getting rehired is going to depend far more on the circumstances of why you left and how your former boss sees you than on anything else. I agree with focusing the cover letter on what you've been up to, and I think it does a good job of that.

I assume Company X is the company your applying to? Otherwise it's quite short.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If a company approaches me for an interview, is it acceptable to ask their salary range early on?

I don't want to have to name a number, but I have a feeling they aren't going to offer a competitive salary, so I don't want to waste anyone's time. Is there a good way to do this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Are you getting cold called by a recruiter? A recruiter I have no qualms asking about the salary range, they usually won't say much other than "competitive" or "in like with market".

Not a recruiter, it was the director of some division at the company. Not sure how he got my email. I'm giving him a call today, will probably just ask for a general range.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

From what I remember there's a social desirability scale, so if a question seems weird, don't lie. Beyond that, just make sure your answers are consistent, but I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know anything about that market, but I'm curious what percentage of those positions are filled through unsolicited resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Had a job interview this morning over Skype. They didn't give me any opportunity to schedule it, they were just like "it's at 10am, be available." Then as we were finishing they demanded (without any advance notice) I be available for the next 90 minutes to take a writing test, and it had to be done immediately.

I wanted to be accommodating, but it's like, give me a heads up so I can clear my schedule.

Thank god I have a job and can just tell people like that no thanks.