Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

twoot posted:

I've seen others built on an existing concrete slab, I think most of them just check that it is of decent thickness.

If you are in a city then you may also want to check your local smoke regulations. I've read that some places can be really strict about chimney lengths, distances from fences, ect.

I'm in Baltimore, no fucks are given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm in Baltimore, no fucks are given.

That's good.

For thread interest here is a guy whose HOA forced him to take apart his oven brick by brick and move it 25ft.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Anyone who would willingly live in an HOA is crazy.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Pukestain Pal posted:

I live in a rowhome in the city and only have a patio for a backyard that is a concrete floor. Would it be possible to pull something like this off still? I have the space.

Your challenge is that the floor isn't thick enough, so when you put that 1 ton+ (not kidding, it'll be that heavy) oven on it, it might crack into pieces. "it" being the floor first, and then the oven afterwards as it flexes on the newly broken floor. :-)

Try to figure out how thick it is if you can. You can mitigate the problem by distributing the weight over more surface area (eg: place beams and build on that).

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

unknown posted:

Your challenge is that the floor isn't thick enough, so when you put that 1 ton+ (not kidding, it'll be that heavy) oven on it, it might crack into pieces. "it" being the floor first, and then the oven afterwards as it flexes on the newly broken floor. :-)

Try to figure out how thick it is if you can. You can mitigate the problem by distributing the weight over more surface area (eg: place beams and build on that).

Yeah I'd say that if you are willing to go to the effort of building a pizza oven then cutting out the area of existing slab and digging a proper foundation is probably worthwhile and not that much of a time sink in comparison to the whole project.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

twoot posted:

Yeah I'd say that if you are willing to go to the effort of building a pizza oven then cutting out the area of existing slab and digging a proper foundation is probably worthwhile and not that much of a time sink in comparison to the whole project.

Yeah, that'll probably be what I'll have to do

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Finished some more things today;

A woodstore gate

When I drilled into the concrete a couple of weeks ago I forgot that the lintel had steel reinforcement. I burned through two drill bits before I remembered :toot:

I've also put together a cheap internal door out of wood and aerated cement block. I've seen other ovens use these with success, although the block is fragile and usually ends up only lasting a year or so of firings. In a few months/next year I'll get a metal door filled with proper insulation fabricated.

It's all stuck together with refractory adhesive. I intended for there to be fibre gasket around the edge of the block but it couldn't fit in the oven with it so I pulled it off.

The project is mostly complete. After the plinth render has cured for a month it needs painted, then we're planning to fill in the hole surrounding the plinth with pebble. After that all that remains is doing something to hide the concrete slab; my plan is/was to build a wood decking table over it with a large overhang to provide tabletop preparation space, but my enthusiasm has sort of run out for doing it right now.

I'm wishing for some nice autumn weather. Now I've got the internal door I can use the leftover heat from pizza firings to roast/bake things.

twoot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 1, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just plant some vines. Give it a couple years and the only part of the slab you'll be able to see is a foot or so width in front of the opening.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

door Door door posted:

Just plant some vines. Give it a couple years and the only part of the slab you'll be able to see is a foot or so width in front of the opening.

That idea had occurred to me at an earlier stage. I'm going to look into it some more :)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

twoot posted:

That idea had occurred to me at an earlier stage. I'm going to look into it some more :)

grow some hops over it!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Oven tripreport 3: welp

(Air temp 650f/350c)

Made pizza last night. Forgot to take pictures of them. They were okay to taste, but this time I tried a 48hr ferment no-knead dough and it didn't work that well. Despite having the same hydration level (60%) as the last two times the dough was just so much wetter to touch. I tried cornmeal under the bases as recommended and I think under normal conditions it would work better, but with the dough last night they were just trying hard to stick to everything, which meant more cornmeal, resulting in lots of it on the oven floor which just burned :smith:

Try and try again. First attempt was still the best. I'm going to look into getting a heavy duty mixer for dough.

I also tried out the door, which worked, but also failed spectacularly.

I raked out the remaining embers at 10pm last night and then put the door in. Then at midday today the oven was still at 450f/230c air temp and the brick was still a bit higher with the IR thermometer. Held the heat well.

Unfortunately the wooden part of the door split clean off from the heat during the night and I had to manoeuvre the block part out with some tools.

It was super cheap and worth trying, but I'm just going to get a metal one now after all.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 8, 2014

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Could you not use cement bolts like Tapcons to hold the wood in place?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Could you not use cement bolts like Tapcons to hold the wood in place?

Bolts make a nice fracture point in the block when they get hot, from others I've seen.

twoot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 8, 2014

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Actually you have that rope going around the perimeter of the concrete already... just make some attachment points (staples, etc) that go into the wood to hold it in place vs glue.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I'll do so soon once I get pics off the camera.

But in the meantime, I did a roast on the weekend and while waiting for the oven to settle down after the fire, it got a nice good temperature.

And kept rising from that 550f. Then the door caught on fire (1" Wood backing, then 2" kpac 17, then wood front/handle) - gonna have to rethink that oven side face.

After spending almost an hour open to get it to a cooler temp (475) it was able to easily hold that while doing the roasting for another hour, then held above 350 for hours after that. I put a large full stew pot in there and found it full on boiling away after dinner.

My baby has got a poo poo load of thermal mass. I'm definitely liking this.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
DIY & Hobbies > Building a wood fired pizza oven - Then the door caught on fire

Been following this thread closely since it's inception, been contemplating making a mobile one to hire out for corporate barbecues and the like.

I have a stainless steel oil drum to turn into a smoker first though :)

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Been following this thread closely since it's inception, been contemplating making a mobile one to hire out for corporate barbecues and the like.

http://www.firewithin.com/ .... someday...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Wouldn't bouncing around on the road be total hell on the mortar and bricks?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

Wouldn't bouncing around on the road be total hell on the mortar and bricks?

I believe the domes they use are cast, not brick, so I don't think there are any motor joints to speak of.

A year or so ago I was seriously looking into the idea of starting a mobile WFO as a side business. California is doing its damndist though to make sure that dream never comes to fruition.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Speaking of mobile wood fired cooking - I'm a core member of a local historical preservation group and we have been busy with the 100th anniversary of the Great War.

To raise funds for the group we are now catering events as an authentic WW1 Field kitchen:

Genuine No.4 Field Oven and Soyer stoves

You set the fire in the right half of the side box and the chimney draws the heat left-wise and around the oven box while giving you a surface with varying levels of heat for boiling and frying on the iron tops.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I totally forgot to update the thread.

Here's what the final product looked like before winter set in:

The chimney was lined with standard flue pipe and a cap added to keep the rodents out (hopefully - I'll find out in the spring).

Instead of doing a stucco coating, I ended up using Surface Bonding Cement, which is basically (from what I was told) concrete with extra plasticizer, along with reinforcement threads integrated into it. It held up very nicely through a few firings and also rainstorms before I tarped the oven for the winter.

The bricks on the side are just held in with sand for the winter before I went and used a proper grout/jointing sand (want to see the winter damage first).

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Nice. I like your chimney cap. It walls look less thick than they others on this thread. How well does it hold heat?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Haji posted:

Nice. I like your chimney cap. It walls look less thick than they others on this thread. How well does it hold heat?

The chimney has probably 3-4" thick clay walls surrounding the flue, and the main area has like 10-12" thick clay walls in it.

It holds heats nicely for a single firing (I'd venture and say a drop of about 1F per minute) since there's not any real insulation except under the fire brick. If I wrapped it with an insulation blanket, that would change a lot of things.

A rebuild of the door might help more, but I'm fairly certain that it won't stay hot overnight in any case.

I'm not looking for it to be a professional bread production oven, but for doing family/party meals at the cottage. I'm confident enough to say that I can pull off a couple of full meals before stoking a new fire. If I can boil a gallon sized pot of water in it without it drastically changing the temperature, it's got enough thermal mass to it for my needs.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
I´m sorry about the derail. I´d love to see the projects in this thread but for some reason I can´t anyone know why?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Prophaniti posted:

I´m sorry about the derail. I´d love to see the projects in this thread but for some reason I can´t anyone know why?

All of my images are hosted on imgur, and appear for me..

You could be having some kind of isp issue if you aren't actively blocking imgur.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
sorry my browser data was full...

This Thread really delivers! Its really amazing how pretty a pizzaoven can be with the right amount of effort. Now all I need is a backyard where an insualted monstrosity like that wouldnt take up everything.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I was going to wait until I finished mine to post a full build sequence, but as this thread still has legs I might as well put them here. I chose to go with a pre-cast oven from Forno Bravo. As you can see from the pictures below, my craftsmanship is not up to the same standard as the OP's, and time was more important than money to me. I started the build the last week of July, and I pulled my first pizza from the oven the second week of September. Been cooking in it two nights a week since then, but the final grouting is awaiting spring.

Anyway, I used a contractor to pour the slab, with pillars extending down below the frost line. They also extended the brick patio, which also kept the oven and grill the required 10' from the nearest structure.

The next weekend I could start. This was my first time working with cement, and I quickly learned two lessons: Pre-mix is terrible, and you gotta wear the gloves. Tore my hands up terribly the first day, then I learned my lesson and had no problems again.

above: end of the first day

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
After a couple of weekends I was ready to pour the floor for the oven:

I poured in the corner pillars, with rebar reinforcement. Looking back, I wonder why I was so cheap with the rebar grid inside the floor.

With the oven base poured and the CMU blocks in place, I bought some firebrick and high-temp mortar for the firepit.

I did a lot of this during the week, and I failed to brush the loose mortar off of the bricks in the morning. By the time I came back from work they could not be cleaned.

Towards the end of this phase the oven arrived:

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Forno Bravo supplies fragile ceramic fiber boards to insulate the oven base, on which you bed the floor tiles in a little sand.

The oven shell is in three segments, cast with overlapping joints. I was freaking out about the white grease on the joints, but a call to the company let me know that it was doughnut fat that they use as a mold release. It all burnt off during the oven curing.

Speaking of which, you need to be careful when the oven is new. There is still a lot of moisture in the refractory, so from this point on I would light small fires while I was working in order to gradually dry out the oven.

The oven is then covered in layers of ceramic blankets. This was a terrible job, this is really nasty stuff to work with. It does work, however. The oven can be 900°F (482°C) inside, and the snow does not melt on the roof!

About this time we got the counters installed, and I sheathed the oven in cement board.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Because I'm the kind of stupid that starts a project like this at the end of July, it was early October before I started to skin the project in thin veneer stone. I really enjoyed this step, although I am stressing out because I did not get more than 1/3 of it grouted before it got too cold.

I used the leftover patio brick to do the arch.

By now it was early November, the wrong time to be doing cement work in the Chicago area.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I planed on doing the grill/firepit based on a South African "Braai". The wood coals burn on the lower rack, which I can move up and down as needed. I welded some stainless angle to make two frames for the grill, and cut pieces of expanded stainless for the grill surfaces. The idea is that I can pull these and put them in a dishwasher as needed.

I am not too sure about this, but the plan is to have a wood fire on one side or the bottom, and shovel coals as needed onto the rack below the grill I am using. Time will tell.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but this is the only food picture I took- this is the first thing we cooked in the oven:

The chicken we do in the oven is, no kidding, the best I've ever had. I cook the second day after a pizza, when the temps are down to ~500°F. I light a small fire with hickory chips and the whole bird soaks up the flavor. Crisp skin, the moistest meat I've had, just spectacular.

The pizzas are the best part of it, of course. I loved my pizza stone pizzas before, but this is in a whole different league. Chewy crust, with a paper thin crisp layer on the bottom. Little caramel brown blisters of goodness around the cornice, bubbling sauce and cheese. Fantastic. But, pizzas happen so quick that I have not yet taken any pictures.

Anyway, that is where my project stands. I'm currently building cabinet doors for the two ends of the island, and I recently welded up some racks to get the wood off of the ground in the two storage areas below the oven and under the counter.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pizza party at winnydpu's house. :allears:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

winnydpu posted:

So jealous

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Very nice work winnydpu.

I'm extremely jealous of having the weather (or fortitude) to use it twice a week. I have no desire to use mine in our poo poo weather, if I could go back now I wouldn't have put anywhere near as much work into mine for this reason alone. I'd have probably gone for a significantly smaller oven at least.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

twoot posted:

I'm extremely jealous of having the weather (or fortitude) to use it twice a week. I have no desire to use mine in our poo poo weather, if I could go back now I wouldn't have put anywhere near as much work into mine for this reason alone.

The weather sure as hell is not helping. Last week we were cooking in 5°F (-15°C) temps. There is a narrow equilibrium I can maintain by standing really close to the entrance. My front side is too hot and the back side too cold. My ears are pretty comfortable however.

You make a serious point. I'm using the hell out of the oven now. How often will I be cooking in a year or two after the novelty wears off?

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

This is a cool thread.

Is there a comprehensive guide out there for making one of these?

My dad is retiring soon and I want to make him a 'projects' folder of things to keep him busy, and I will in no way fill it with things I would just want to gently caress about with whenever I visit (see: lawn mower engine go-kart).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dalax posted:

My dad is retiring soon and I want to make him a 'projects' folder of things to keep him busy, and I will in no way fill it with things I would just want to gently caress about with whenever I visit (see: lawn mower engine go-kart).

I'm a dad, don't do this. Get him a bottle of bourbon instead.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

Stringent posted:

I'm a dad, don't do this. Get him a bottle of bourbon instead.

I'm a dad too. What stringent said.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Compromise: Make the first project "Drink this fine Bourbon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Dalax posted:

This is a cool thread.

Is there a comprehensive guide out there for making one of these?

Forno Bravo has a fantastic free e-book detailing construction of the "Pompeii Oven", which is very similar to the OP's. Take a look at http://www.fornobravo.com , under their library tab. They also have great free books about making pizza crust and bread.

winnydpu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread