Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Too bad Apple Weather is usually the wrongest.

I know beta begging is frowned on, but my more general question is if someone can report on stability of the beta.

I'm not asking to be invited... I may very well just pony up for dev if its pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Snuffman posted:

All this talk of advanced multitasking and auto updates makes me wonder if my poor little iPhone 4 will be able to handle iOS7.

I know the phone is supported but how well will it run?

Well the more recent iOS upgrades were getting better about old phone support, but this update seems to be going much further than just the typical addition of features and optimization so who knows? Personally I'm scared to see how much of this I won't be getting on my 4S.

I already know that Airdrop is out of my reach. :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So will Airdrop block me from sharing local music to others? I'm assuming yes, but just checking.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I know beta begging is frowned on, but my more general question is if someone can report on stability of the beta.

I'm not asking to be invited... I may very well just pony up for dev if its pretty solid.
The OS itself seems great except for my phone running hot. Apps are kind of broken though, especially ones that really want to tie into Apple services.

I tried to use the Apple Store app to make a Genius Bar appointment and nothing worked, and trying to sign into my Apple ID just made the login box keep popping up.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The OS itself seems great except for my phone running hot. Apps are kind of broken though, especially ones that really want to tie into Apple services.

I tried to use the Apple Store app to make a Genius Bar appointment and nothing worked, and trying to sign into my Apple ID just made the login box keep popping up.

Which iPhone are you on? I'm downloading the A1428 right now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Can you take some caps with a dark background? None have seen to come out, and I'm curious if it clashes with the new interface.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SparkPeople posted:

Which iPhone are you on? I'm downloading the A1428 right now.
Verizon iPhone 5 (A1429).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

Can you take some caps with a dark background? None have seen to come out, and I'm curious if it clashes with the new interface.
It comes with no wallpapers, so let me look around.

edit: Holy poo poo the clock icon is live; second hand and everything. So they can do live-tile type stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 10, 2013

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Verizon iPhone 5 (A1429).

Did you do a clean install or an update?

I'm clearing off my phone before I start this one. Coming in from a jailbroken device on 6.1.1 to 6.1.4 to 7.0 (if everything works out)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SparkPeople posted:

Did you do a clean install or an update?
Clean, set up as new device (no restore).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cross-post

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
iOS 7 beta installed on my iPhone 4S

trip report: GORGEOUS, super excited, animations own, everything owns, a bit buggy but no big deal

more soon

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weird, as soon as I set a custom wallpaper, the stock options showed up.

Bug report filed.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

edit: Holy poo poo the clock icon is live; second hand and everything. So they can do live-tile type stuff.

I grabbed this off of one of the wallpaper apps; my current background is of similar warmth, but has friends in it who probably wouldn't like being put onto SA.

Edit:

Weird, as soon as I set a custom wallpaper, the stock options showed up.

Bug report filed.

I don't quite understand what you mean there--the stock wallpapers were under wallpaper selection but not photos? That might be to keep the new wallpapers from being as easily put onto ios 6 devices?

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 11, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I seriously can't decide how bad I want this experience. What I'm willing to put up with...

Such delicious torture!

Are there any nonfunctioning key features? Anything core they listed today that just isn't there/working?

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
Most core features are working; interestingly, wifi doesn't seem to be able to connect to 5ghz networks

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

I don't quite understand what you mean there--the stock wallpapers were under wallpaper selection but not photos? That might be to keep the new wallpapers from being as easily put onto ios 6 devices?
They weren't anywhere. When I tried to set a different wallpaper on a clean phone, there were no options. I downloaded a photo, set that, and then all the stock photos showed up as options as well.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
The release notes indicate that the Voice Memo app isn't available in the beta. Can anyone confirm this?

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010

Hyperdermic Needle posted:

Most core features are working; interestingly, wifi doesn't seem to be able to connect to 5ghz networks

oh wallpapers showed up after syncing to icloud.

yes, no voice memo app.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
No voice memos and no personal hotspot are the biggest issues right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How are the new iCloud / Photostream functionality? Are those working at all (maybe?) and do they play nice with ios6 devices (prosbly not?).

Things like video sharing.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
This parallax stuff is way cool. I wonder if it means a hit to battery life though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Phone calls, internetting, App Store updates and purchases all work?( at least somewhat reliably?)

Sounds like no hot spot, no voice memo (odd) and no 5ghz networks?

Anything else? I'm hovering over a developer purchase here

[edit]

Apps all seem to work? I'm not gonna break like every app I own by installing?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

James Polk posted:

This parallax stuff is way cool. I wonder if it means a hit to battery life though.
My cpu cycles!!! :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Here are some shots with a darker background:

The UI elements change color based on the wallpaper; the Dock most noticeably.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Kinda gutted that my poor iPad 3 won't be able to do AirDrop. I don't suppose it's supported on PC either?

I did want to upgrade my iPad anyway so that I wouldn't need to keep any 30-pin adapters any more.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I had to half-watch the conference due to work, but not a peep about Maps for iOS, was there?

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
This is frustrating. I have my old device's UDID registered, which was replaced due to a faulty camera.

Now the song and dance of registering a new one. :negative:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Don Tacorleone posted:

I had to half-watch the conference due to work, but not a peep about Maps for iOS, was there?

You can send routes to it through Mac and you can also integrate it with 95(?)% of cars

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Don Tacorleone posted:

Maps is coming to OS X.

I honestly don't get the hate. I figuratively have never had a problem with Apple maps that I don't have with google maps :shrug:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SparkPeople posted:

This is frustrating. I have my old device's UDID registered, which was replaced due to a faulty camera.

Now the song and dance of registering a new one. :negative:
Shouldn't be too hard if you've got a dev account. ;)

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
What version of iOS was it when they actually changed the graphic of the 4th bar to make it a little shorter so that the difference between 3 and 4 bars was less noticeable?

After all of that, they went and replaced it with dots.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I honestly don't get the hate. I figuratively have never had a problem with Apple maps that I don't have with google maps :shrug:
It really depends where you live.

The quality of Australian maps in particular are terrible and many issues I reported back in the iOS 6.0b1 have not been fixed to this day.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

What version of iOS was it when they actually changed the graphic of the 4th bar to make it a little shorter so that the difference between 3 and 4 bars was less noticeable?
4.1 made the bars taller, 4.0.1 changed the mapping, both in the wake of Antennagate.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 11, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God. The new iOS is beatuiful. And so far none of my regular apps are broken at all. I just did an upgrade with restoring to try it out and it worked fine. I'm loving all this new stuff.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have a Verizon iPhone 4. Can this be used in Belize if I add on international minutes, or should I contact Verizon for a world phone?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a bit to white for me. Will definitely take some getting used to, but stuff like the settings app just look like a flat mess at the moment.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Shouldn't be too hard if you've got a dev account. ;)

That's the thing, I don't have one. I Beta tested a few apps from indie developers on Reddit on my old device when I first got it. Developed a camera bug about a month ago and had to get my phone replaced.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a Verizon iPhone 4. Can this be used in Belize if I add on international minutes, or should I contact Verizon for a world phone?

You probably shouldn't use this if you're not going to have constant access to a computer with a solid connection to get the newest betas. They tend to update randomly and you don't want to be stuck somewhere with a nonfunctioning device should they decided to release a Beta when you're not able to update immediately.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Trip report: Super buggy right now. iMessage screwed up and won't retrieve certain messages. App switcher is slow to activate (>1 second). The OS just feels much slower in general because you have to wait for animations to finish.

Control center is great. Not a fan of the icons (Baby's first iOS?). Overall though, should be pretty good once it's finally released and they polish out the bugs. Will be incredibly disappointed if they don't fix performance on iPhone 5. It's bad right now, but that's expected.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SparkPeople posted:

You probably shouldn't use this if you're not going to have constant access to a computer with a solid connection to get the newest betas. They tend to update randomly and you don't want to be stuck somewhere with a nonfunctioning device should they decided to release a Beta when you're not able to update immediately.

The guy didn't even mention the beta. He was asking about international minutes :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can individual notifications be swiped away?

• Locked thread