Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I really like the crime scene reconstruction from that E3 walkthrough. I know in practice it really just turns into the old 'find the right spots to scan with detective mode' gimmick, but watching things play out and being able to rewind and fast forward to look for points of interest made that helicopter sequence a lot more fun than, for example, 'follow the red line to find Deadshot's sniper perch' in Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wasn't he brutal and raw enough in Arkham City?

What, is he just going to straight punch someone directly in the lung just because he didn't like their face but, after Arkham Asylum/City, he'll learn that's just not cool to do? Though, I think he's done that more than once.

And there's the time where he basically threatened to kill Freeze in Arkham City just because he was having a bad day and was dying of blood poisoning.

Seriously, how do we get more brutal than this? :stare:
Yeah the whole "I'd still save you" bit at the end of Arkham City felt pretty disingenuous. As mentioned in my original OP, his response to Babs suggesting that it's okay to let certain people die because they're criminals isn't to call her out on that being a horrific idea, but to explain that there are non-criminals who deserve to live. He also had no problem ignoring hundreds of deaths in order to save one life who was at least partially responsible for those other people dying. Alfred is the only reason he saves Gotham.

The Arkham series is kind of bizarre in that it nails the hard part, gameplay that makes you feel like Batman, but the narrative has a good amount of problems.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What's sad for me is that there's a great opportunity with the premise of this game for Hush to make a good showing. Too bad he doesn't exist until the end of AC, though.

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more it would be cool for one of the assassins to actually be the Royal Flush Gang, and their part culminates with you having to take all 4 of them out at the same time in this sandbox arena. I just want to grapple Ace to Queen while she flies around on her card, dammit.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stare-Out posted:

Ahh so it seems. Yeah I guess it might be a little tricky to make him seem more brutal. Unless it just means he's generally more uncompromising somehow.

Well he dropped the guy just because he did not talk fast enough.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
From the videos I've seen, it looks like Arkham Origins is basically a rehash of Arkham City's mechanics, straight down to the animations. And I'm completely okay with that. Can I count on being able to preorder this on Steam? I want to get my Deathstroke on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bizarre Echo posted:

From the videos I've seen, it looks like Arkham Origins is basically a rehash of Arkham City's mechanics, straight down to the animations. And I'm completely okay with that. Can I count on being able to preorder this on Steam? I want to get my Deathstroke on.

If it turns out anything like Asylum and City (maddeningly) did, then the PC release will come out a couple of weeks after the console release, but there will definitely be a pre-order for it on Steam. Is it using Games for Windows Live or have they quietly just dumped that out?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

A screenshot of Anarky

So he's in charge of a gang of goons...

Anarky is one of my favorite characters but they seem to only use as generic outlaw. Can't we get back that brilliant kid that could been Robin?

That being said, it would been awesome if your gang were the hobos of Gotham as in the comics :haw:

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Jerusalem posted:

If it turns out anything like Asylum and City (maddeningly) did, then the PC release will come out a couple of weeks after the console release, but there will definitely be a pre-order for it on Steam. Is it using Games for Windows Live or have they quietly just dumped that out?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind never seeing Games for Windows Live again, especially on a game already running out of Steam.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So he's in charge of a gang of goons...

Anarky is one of my favorite characters but they seem to only use as generic outlaw. Can't we get back that brilliant kid that could been Robin?

That being said, it would been awesome if your gang were the hobos of Gotham as in the comics :haw:

Well he is a straight up bomber in this and we are going to beat him up so I don't think he will be a kid.

I have a feeling they are putting him in the game because he is going to be the main villain of the new Batman show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he is a straight up bomber in this and we are going to beat him up so I don't think he will be a kid.

I have a feeling they are putting him in the game because he is going to be the main villain of the new Batman show.

No doubt about it, he seems more like the second Anarky of the comics than the original. :smith:

Is kind of weird how this design made look him more like a cult leader or something than his costume on the comics that it was based on a priest's robes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

There was a preorder, I believe, but definitely no preload for City. Maybe now it's Steamworks it will be. On the subject of GFWL, people are dumping it and a few games like AA or Bioshock 2 have had quiet Steam registry updates for steamworks achievements so it might lead somewhere.

On the subject of BAO though, I love that I'll be able to navigate around all of Gotham City rather than being confined to a shithole that was Arkham City even if it had some interesting nooks and crannies. Shame it'll be dead empty minus wandering henchmen but the randomized crimes and groups of thugs with varying difficulty levels are welcoming after AC just respawned the same mooks everytime.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I hope riddler trophies are still in, or at least a different variation of useless collectibles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pixeltendo posted:

I hope riddler trophies are still in, or at least a different variation of useless collectibles.

Maybe this time around it will be Cluemaster clues.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Serious George posted:

I wish they would pick up on that cancelled game that would've been based on Gotham by Gaslight. The idea of Victorian Batman excites me, especially if they focus more on the detective aspects of the gameplay (Batman doing elaborate martial arts in that millieu feels off to me).

I know this is from the last page, but I had no idea about this and it just sounds so cool. The best thing about it would be if there had been zero steampunk-influence.

As for the combat, I could totally see Batman fighting like a brawler. Just lots of punches and slams. Now I've gotten my hopes up for a game that'll never happen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Troy Dude is nailing the Batman voice but holy gently caress is his line delivery just completely flaccid.

e. VV Oops, I'm loving dumb.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 13, 2013

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Troy is nailing the Batman voice but holy gently caress is his line delivery just completely flaccid.

Troy Baker is voicing Joker, not Batman.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would like to hear some more of Smith as Batman and Baker as Joker before I really pass any judgment on the quality of voice, but it's not like it's hard to give Batman and Joker good voices. So many voices could fit either character since they're interpretable in many different ways and it's pretty rare you find a bad voice for either. What I wanna hear is who they got to voice Deathstroke because it changes like every game he's in. First it's Patrick Seitz in MKvsDC, then Larry Grimm in Arkham City Lockdown, then JG Hertzler in Injustice and I'm positive they're gonna get another guy for this game too.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Jerusalem posted:

He drops him onto a Christmas tree. Very painful, probably crippling, but you can hear the thug screaming,"YOU'RE CRAZY!" afterwards, he definitely lives.

See, I was kind of hoping he did kill that guy. I think it would be pretty cool if Batman turns out to be Valley from the start without letting the player in on it and is replaced by Wayne later in the game.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would like to hear some more of Smith as Batman and Baker as Joker before I really pass any judgment on the quality of voice, but it's not like it's hard to give Batman and Joker good voices. So many voices could fit either character since they're interpretable in many different ways and it's pretty rare you find a bad voice for either.

I sentence you to 30 days of listening to Brent Spiner Joker.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm so pleased to hear in that dev interview that they loved the Mr Freeze boss fight from Arkham City and they want to bring that spirit to all their boss fights, exploring different core mechanics and different playstyles for each villain you face. That really was a fantastic boss, and probably the biggest improvement over the terribad bosses in Arkham Asylum.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
It would be cool to see a boss hide from you in a predator room with your predator mode disabled. Then you have to play a game of cat and mouse as you both try to hunt each other down, possibly with goons with guns thrown in. Or at least better boss fights then a just guys using a grenade launcher and strutting around randomly, those weren't near as good as the Mr.Freeze fight. And make it someone hard to get a hold of to begin with, rather just being stupidly tough. It was annoying that batman needed to punch two-face in his both his faces dozens of times to take him out, it was absurd that Harley took endless punches to the head. Especially since the running gag was she is effortlessly tossed aside every-time she attacked physically up to that point. She is usually more dangerous alone, but being indestructible was never one of those reasons. Also would have been interesting for her to get increasingly crazy when you fought her, to the point you had to take her out before she killed herself and everyone else. They had that in the story line (that she is crazy and dangerous), but she was identical to the two-face boss in how she fought.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You could do that with a Deadshot fight... make it akin to a Crying Wolf from MGS4 fight, except you're Batman and it's in a cordoned off area of the city with lots of goons running around while Deadshot sneaks around and talks poo poo to you while taking crazy ricochet shots at you, and you go into this funky Detective real-time extrapolation mode where you need to keep moving and fight mooks while your cowl figures out where he's shooting from. Could be awesome.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I assume that if Firefly is in this, that bossfight would be very similar to Mr. Freeze as well.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

^^^^
It would be pretty funny if firefly wanted a drawn out fight like that only to have batman use the new grapple mode to snag him and spike him into the ground as he is flying around at high speeds. Or even draw one across buildings he will fly by to give him a wicked clothsline.

Fuzz posted:

You could do that with a Deadshot fight... make it akin to a Crying Wolf from MGS4 fight, except you're Batman and it's in a cordoned off area of the city with lots of goons running around while Deadshot sneaks around and talks poo poo to you while taking crazy ricochet shots at you, and you go into this funky Detective real-time extrapolation mode where you need to keep moving and fight mooks while your cowl figures out where he's shooting from. Could be awesome.

just looked up that fight (only played MGS2), Deadshot could be fun to play against that way, maybe rooftop to rooftop, rather then just one. The final showdown with dead shot in AC seemed kind of rushed, it would have been more fun to approach him your own way, with out a scripted moment to plop you down on the roof top with him. It would be kind of cool to do different things to make him aim away from you, such as using the remote control batarang to make him think you are on a opposite building. An other would could be setting off bat-gel remotely.

I am hoping that the Deathstroke boss fight isn't 100% dodging knife strikes. I kind of sucked at those in AC, only getting them to work if I wasn't thinking about it, either getting the rhythm right to completion or not at all and only dodge the first one.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 14, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shnag posted:

just looked up that fight (only played MGS2), Deadshot could be fun to play against that way, maybe rooftop to rooftop, rather then just one. The final showdown with dead shot in AC seemed kind of rushed, it would have been more fun to approach him your own way, with out a scripted moment to plop you down on the roof top with him. It would be kind of cool to do different things to make him aim away from you, such as using the remote control batarang to make him think you are on a opposite building. An other would could be setting of bat-gel remotely.

Yeah, I'm envisioning a rolling fight across multiple rooftops and alleys, with Batman continually pursuing and Deadshot continually falling back, trying to hit him and getting more and more frustrated that Batman is making him actually miss. Sneak around on rooftops and throw out the batarangs to draw him to fire, then use the data from your cowl to triangulate his position, then try to approach without giving him an angle or something like that... could be either loving terrible, or awesome.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sounds really cool and reminds me a lot of The End from MGS3. I'd love to have a huge, sprawling, dynamic fight like that with an "equal".

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I'm envisioning a rolling fight across multiple rooftops and alleys, with Batman continually pursuing and Deadshot continually falling back, trying to hit him and getting more and more frustrated that Batman is making him actually miss. Sneak around on rooftops and throw out the batarangs to draw him to fire, then use the data from your cowl to triangulate his position, then try to approach without giving him an angle or something like that... could be either loving terrible, or awesome.

Seeing deadshot go from pure smug to freaking out and panicking would be fun to see. With his shots changing from skillful one shots to just shooting wildly where he hopes you are. Kind of like how scarecrow gets freaked out as you beat him in AA.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would like to hear some more of Smith as Batman and Baker as Joker before I really pass any judgment on the quality of voice, but it's not like it's hard to give Batman and Joker good voices. So many voices could fit either character since they're interpretable in many different ways and it's pretty rare you find a bad voice for either. What I wanna hear is who they got to voice Deathstroke because it changes like every game he's in. First it's Patrick Seitz in MKvsDC, then Larry Grimm in Arkham City Lockdown, then JG Hertzler in Injustice and I'm positive they're gonna get another guy for this game too.
I would rather have Ron Perlman voice him, but he would probably cost too much

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

His Deathstroke is the only one that sounds like an actually intelligent, experienced villain, as opposed to someone trying to impress a girl at a bar.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about this game - will it use GFWL or Steamworks? Read somewhere that GFWL is pretty much dead nowadaysso I look forward to getting the game without additional MS DRM bullshit. Gotta wonder what happens with my Steam copies of first two Batman games when Microsoft decide to turn their GFWL servers as they inevitably will.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Just looked at arkham origins gameplay video and uhh.., looks exactly like arkham city? I'm a little disappointed at this point how similar it is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Perlman voiced Batman in that Justice League Heroes game a while back. I doubt he got more expensive since then. Never played the game so I don't know how well he worked though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

washow posted:

Just looked at arkham origins gameplay video and uhh.., looks exactly like arkham city? I'm a little disappointed at this point how similar it is.

Well, duh. It's a filler third-party game. We're lucky it's not just a story of Batman going back to Arkham City because some more bad guys took it over or something.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Guess I'm finally done with Arkham City. :unsmith:

I can rarely be bothered doing completionist runs in games but AC remained remarkably fun even after doing the same combat and predator challenges a million times. The only time I felt like giving up was when trying to get that stupid Friends Fly Free medal (double ledge takedown) with Catwoman on End of the Line extreme, screw whoever thought that was a good idea. Thank god they gave the "Free Medal" perk in the harsher campaigns, allowing you to ignore the very worst challenges was a godsend.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Origins. Although the word "Origin" is slowly starting to lose its meaning for me. Batman Arkham Origins, Rayman Origins, Dragon Age Origins, FEAR 2 Project Origin, EA's Origin...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also I don't think anyone ever posted this in the AC thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvP4eQxNjQ4

The amount of details they put into an area you're never supposed to reach is pretty cool.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Wow Arkham Origins is looking like a full game priced expansion pack. Disappointing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

doctor 7 posted:

Wow Arkham Origins is looking like a full game priced expansion pack. Disappointing.

We've barely seen anything from it yet. Its far too early to start judging the scope of the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

jivjov posted:

We've barely seen anything from it yet. Its far too early to start judging the scope of the game.

All the animations and city textures look like Arkham City. You really think they'll be overhauled for October?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

doctor 7 posted:

All the animations and city textures look like Arkham City. You really think they'll be overhauled for October?

Reusing some drat good animations is hardly the sign of Arkham Origins being "just an expansion pack".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Some of the combat animations are actually noticeably different to begin with.

They're certainly reusing material but you'd be hard-pressed to find a sequel that doesn't do that these days. It's more budget-effective than remaking new textures for no reason. Hell, they'll often do it between franchises in certain cases. (Take a good look at some of Bioware's animations sometime.) Games are very rarely made from scratch every single time and even Arkham City recycled some stuff from Arkham Asylum.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2013

• Locked thread