Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I've always considered an expansion pack reusing almost all old assets and providing a new story and that's pretty much what it has been used to imply. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a really successful series is getting some COD treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I've always considered an expansion pack reusing almost all old assets and providing a new story and that's pretty much what it has been used to imply. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a really successful series is getting some COD treatment.

You're using a definition from the 90s then. v:shobon:v Expansion packs in that era could refer to anything from a batch of new maps to a full-price or nearly-full-price new campaign depending on the game you're talking about. DLC and episodic gaming has changed a lot of what that means.

With games like New Vegas or Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Halo: Reach on the market, a full-length full-priced sequel that reuses assets but adds new content is generally not considered an expansion pack.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 20, 2013

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

doctor 7 posted:

Then Fallout: New Vegas was just an expansion pack.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Thats pretty much Arkham City. It used like 90% of Asylums assets outside of the asylum itself while providing a new story

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MrJacobs posted:

Thats pretty much Arkham City. It used like 90% of Asylums assets outside of the asylum itself while providing a new story

Yeah I was about to say, almost all of Asylum's combat animations were recycled in City, as was almost all of the Invisible Predator stuff. Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, and healthy Joker even had the same models and textures. Guess it's just an expansion!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Maybe I'm just bitter about another potential full priced Halo ODST.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought I saw a video saying Gotham is twice as big as AC as well... That's potentially a lot of content there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Epi Lepi posted:

Then Fallout: New Vegas was just an expansion pack.
Which is why some people didn't want to buy it and that it would be lazy and not as good as Fallout 3 :negative:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

doctor 7 posted:

Maybe I'm just bitter about another potential full priced Halo ODST.

Was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood just an expansion pack to Assassin's Creed II?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arkham Origins is actually just a re-release of Arkham City, only now all the horses from the original game have armor.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham Origins is actually just a re-release of Arkham City, only now all the horses from the original game have armor.

I would totally be down for riding a horse as Batman after an EMP burst turns off everything in the city. Oh, and trampling rioters (but non-lethally of course)

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
I was about to post a cautious "the impacts from strikes look not as good as Rocksteady ones but the game's still early so they'll work on it" but no! The game's done and they're doing some minor finishing touches right now.

Almost definitely I'll buy it anyway.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

washow posted:

I was about to post a cautious "the impacts from strikes look not as good as Rocksteady ones but the game's still early so they'll work on it" but no! The game's done and they're doing some minor finishing touches right now.

Almost definitely I'll buy it anyway.

To be fair, none of the free flow combo system rip-offs are as good as the ones from Rocksteady. Sleeping Dogs had the closest feel to it, but it was nowhere near as polished, other examples like Captain America and Amazing Spider-Man did an okay job, but few developers have managed that brutal feel for that style of combat despite doing a good job of imitating it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This version of the combat will probably be fine given that they are copy pasting it with a a few new animations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Captain America is a pretty naff game overall, but the combat system does a great job of adapting Arkham's mechanics for the Captain. Especially like how you have to periodically reflect bullets and sling your shield around. Its a pretty blatant copy, but there's enough tweaks to make it fun.

Amazing Spiderman's adaption can go suck eggs though. It turns Spider Man into a slow plodding tank, who looks more like an inert wrestler than the wallcrawler. Seriously, AWFUL.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Amazing Spiderman's adaption can go suck eggs though. It turns Spider Man into a slow plodding tank, who looks more like an inert wrestler than the wallcrawler. Seriously, AWFUL.

Web of Shadows had excellent combat. Shame about the everything else in that game though.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
I didn't realize some games tried to copy(?) arkham's combat system. Honestly to this day, it is the best

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

washow posted:

I didn't realize some games tried to copy(?) arkham's combat system. Honestly to this day, it is the best

It has some problems, like a rather bland method of standard attack, made up for by the surprising number of counter and strike animations in Asylum alone, and it doesn't work well in 1 v 1 or with non-humanoid enemies. However, for beating the poo poo out of 10+ dudes at once, it is the best system for it.

I cannot recommend Sleeping Dogs enough if you like Arkham combat (not as polished, but it actually is more brutal than the freeflow combat of the arkham series) and GTA style open world gameplay. Breaking peoples legs and arms causes all other enemies nearby to wince and recoil in horror at what they just saw your character do to that poor, poor, man.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MrJacobs posted:

I cannot recommend Sleeping Dogs enough if you like Arkham combat (not as polished, but it actually is more brutal than the freeflow combat of the arkham series) and GTA style open world gameplay. Breaking peoples legs and arms causes all other enemies nearby to wince and recoil in horror at what they just saw your character do to that poor, poor, man.

You can also throw dudes in the trunk of your car and drive into the ocean, or just throw them into an ice chipper.

edit: seriously Sleeping Dogs kicks rear end. Get it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

You can also throw dudes in the trunk of your car and drive into the ocean, or just throw them into an ice chipper.

edit: seriously Sleeping Dogs kicks rear end. Get it.

How big/detailed is the world in terms of places to go and things to do compared to other games in the genre (Saints Row/GTA4)?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

How big/detailed is the world in terms of places to go and things to do compared to other games in the genre (Saints Row/GTA4)?

Its decent sized representation of hong kong. No air travel not as big as the games you mentioned, but ground only travel makes it seem bigger. it's big enough that taxis can teleport you like in GTA4, but only to certain areas (parking garages, clothing stores, and missions) as opposed to custom points. But, if you have a motorcycle in opposing traffic and do a wheelie, any car that isn't a lorry/big rig turns into an automatic ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcWtBtsBKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

On topic:

If the city is bigger than AC, is there any chance in hell for a vehicle? Not even the Batmobile, but just some kind of bat-transport?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 21, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Its decent sized representation of hong kong. No air travel not as big as the games you mentioned, but ground only travel makes it seem bigger. it's big enough that taxis can teleport you like in GTA4, but only to certain areas (parking garages, clothing stores, and missions) as opposed to custom points. But, if you have a motorcycle in opposing traffic and do a wheelie, any car that isn't a lorry/big rig turns into an automatic ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcWtBtsBKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

On topic:

If the city is bigger than AC, is there any chance in hell for a vehicle? Not even the Batmobile, but just some kind of bat-transport?

Being twice as big as AC would still be fairly small for vehicles, in my opinion. As you mentioned with SD, I think keeping Batman on foot or gliding would make the world seem massive. Giving him a car or motorcycle would give away how small it really is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They said that you can use the Batwing as a fast travel system.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think using vehicles manually would kind of detract from the overall Batman feel.

He's supposed to be a seamless fighter and everything, but if you have manual control of the vehicle, chances are that you could crash or drive into a lake or something.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think using vehicles manually would kind of detract from the overall Batman feel.

He's supposed to be a seamless fighter and everything, but if you have manual control of the vehicle, chances are that you could crash or drive into a lake or something.

That's exactly what happened in the first game! :haw:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just got what you meant. :doh: I had completely forgotten about that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 22, 2013

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Batmobile isn't controllable in the first game. I was referring to playability.

That's a joke son.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Epi Lepi posted:

That's a joke son.

Hobgoblin2099 is clearly channeling his inner-Batman.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Arkham City
Arkham City continues a lot of the plots of the previous film.

Sorry. I'm doing an Editing class and it's awakened my inner pedant. Thought I should point this out.

quote:

What the Hell was or is City of Fear supposed to be?
Rocksteady actually announced plans for Arkham City the day Arkham Asylum was released. There was a wall which could be destroyed which led to Warden Sharp’s secret office and plans to build Arkham City.

So, when Arkham City came out, fans figured there must be some other hidden tidbit for the third game. They find it in the form of a boat which can be entered using the cryptograph password: CityofFear. You enter the boat, and you find a thug killed by fear gas. More rumors spread of Scarecrow thugs appearing in one of the game’s final battles although this might just be a graphical error since the thugs seemed to be wearing brown colored Joker masks. There were also hidden numbers stations which could be listened to on the cryptograph. The numbers were just a pretty simple code for messages such as “Fear will tear Gotham to shreds.”

So, obviously there were hints that Rocksteady wanted to do something with Scarecrow—who did not appear in City—be it a failed DLC or the next entry in the series that was or still is coming. Who knows.

I'm sure it's the next entry, like you posted:

quote:

The Future
Kevin Conroy may have revealed that there is fourth game in development.

So, here’s what happened: Kevin Conroy goes to a con. He tells everyone, “Hey, I’m working on the new Arkham game.” Then Warner goes, “Hey, Kevin Conroy isn’t working on the new Arkham game.” The speculation is that he actually is working on a new next-gen Arkham game from Rocksteady. It kind of makes sense. Rocksteady works on something really ambitious for 2015 to continue the Arkham series, Warner puts out their own slightly disposable entry in the series to keep the semiannual release schedule going.

I mean, there's no way the Arkham series is ending on a prequel not made by Rocksteady. The next-gen sequel is without a doubt being made by Rocksteady as we speak, and it will likely involve Scarecrow in a big way. For now I'm happy with Origins. Yes, it looks to play exactly like Arkham City, to the point that half the map is literally Arkham City before it was Arkham City. And I don't give the slightest gently caress, because Arkham City owned and so will Origins.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

BreakAtmo posted:

I mean, there's no way the Arkham series is ending on a prequel not made by Rocksteady. The next-gen sequel is without a doubt being made by Rocksteady as we speak, and it will likely involve Scarecrow in a big way. For now I'm happy with Origins. Yes, it looks to play exactly like Arkham City, to the point that half the map is literally Arkham City before it was Arkham City. And I don't give the slightest gently caress, because Arkham City owned and so will Origins.
I'm with you on the feeling about Origins; more Arkham City, even skinned as a new game, is never bad.

And yea, Rocksteady is absolutely working something. Looks Warner Bros has given them the time to make an amazing game, which is why we get Origins to keep the franchise going.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If rocksteady is doing a next gen game, that would probably be the only thing that would make me buy one of the new systems

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CzarChasm posted:

If rocksteady is doing a next gen game, that would probably be the only thing that would make me buy one of the new systems

It'll come to PC. Rocksteady is a pretty big PC supporter, and was one of the early adopters of PhysX.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

It'll come to PC. Rocksteady is a pretty big PC supporter, and was one of the early adopters of PhysX.

Pretty much, just wait several months to garner more people buying consoles (that is, if WB is smart at least, since its a win/win situation to do it that way) and then a nice PC version will arrive with new bells and whistles for those who burn more money on a gaming pc than the cost of a new console.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MrJacobs posted:

To be fair, none of the free flow combo system rip-offs are as good as the ones from Rocksteady. Sleeping Dogs had the closest feel to it, but it was nowhere near as polished, other examples like Captain America and Amazing Spider-Man did an okay job, but few developers have managed that brutal feel for that style of combat despite doing a good job of imitating it.

That and Sleeping Dogs made up for it with the ever-elusive "impale your enemies with a swordfish" system.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I figure I'd ask here since this is the Arkham thread.

So I'm using x360ce for my DirectInput pad on Asylum. The problem is, I can't select diagonal gadgets for some stupid reason. Even if I switch the gadget control to the analog stick, which obviously processes diagonals fine everywhere else, it won't take it.

Does anyone have experience fixing this aggravating issue?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

This version of the combat will probably be fine given that they are copy pasting it with a a few new animations.

So why would I buy this game then? I already have Arkham City.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So why would I buy this game then? I already have Arkham City.

Story, plus the fact that the game includes not only the entirety of Arkham City from back when it was still part of Gotham, but also a whole new section of Gotham just as big.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

Story, plus the fact that the game includes not only the entirety of Arkham City from back when it was still part of Gotham, but also a whole new section of Gotham just as big.

The story really should not be a factor considering these games have never done anything special with that. The new parts of Arkham City could be good though, I don't care about it before it was ruined, but adding on to it could be interesting. Hopefully it's just more than one small area with one thing to do.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The story really should not be a factor considering these games have never done anything special with that. The new parts of Arkham City could be good though, I don't care about it before it was ruined, but adding on to it could be interesting. Hopefully it's just more than one small area with one thing to do.

No, it's apparently a whole new area the same size. Basically, the complete Arkham Origins map is twice the size of Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BreakAtmo posted:

No, it's apparently a whole new area the same size. Basically, the complete Arkham Origins map is twice the size of Arkham City.
Isn't Origins just all of Gotham City proper? I'd like to explore most of Gotham.

I do wish there was the outskirts so you could go back to Wayne Manor or explore the Batcave like in that challenge mode DLC.

• Locked thread