Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wouldn't base whether I buy it on that, but I don't think it'd lend well to playability.

Controlling the Batmobile ala GTA would mean that you'd have to remove thugs, otherwise it'd be pretty blatant that Batman could run thugs over. Having some kind of segment where the car is auto-thrust forward on a straight road just seems tedious and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Nah, just have them hurl themselves out of the way Midnight Club style

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wouldn't base whether I buy it on that, but I don't think it'd lend well to playability.

Controlling the Batmobile ala GTA would mean that you'd have to remove thugs, otherwise it'd be pretty blatant that Batman could run thugs over. Having some kind of segment where the car is auto-thrust forward on a straight road just seems tedious and unnecessary.

Why on earth would thugs be in the middle of the road when traffic would exist in such a scenario?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jerusalem posted:

I always love Batman's disgruntled "Ughh..." face as he hauls himself out of the water.

You'd be disgruntled too if some dickhead kid kept piloting you into 20 degree water and making you push the boundaries of hypothermia.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yup. I agree. I remember that game and really wanting to like it. They were trying to do some cool poo poo there. Played the hell out of it until I realized how broken and hosed up it really was but it did hint on some interesting possibilities to take the Batman style game play.

Geez. What's everyone's specific problem and gigantic issue with vehicles in a loving Batman game of all things? What's any less Batman-ish about a game that handles that element of the character? Cause, you know, Batman never drives, flies or travels anywhere except grappling and gliding with his cape all over the city. Then he just punches people.

What an odd thing to get upset about and base purchasing decisions around.

The devs said when they were working on Arkham City that the reason they didn't add any vehicles was because they didn't feel like they could do Batman justice with them. Players would most likely crash into things and fumble around, ruining the whole super-competent image of Batman. Ofcourse, they probably never saw those people in this thread diving into the water all the time...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kaizer88 posted:

The devs said when they were working on Arkham City that the reason they didn't add any vehicles was because they didn't feel like they could do Batman justice with them. Players would most likely crash into things and fumble around, ruining the whole super-competent image of Batman. Ofcourse, they probably never saw those people in this thread diving into the water all the time...

Or getting punched in the back of the head.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I once spent the majority of a fight just sliding around the floor.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Seventh Arrow posted:

I once spent the majority of a fight just sliding around the floor.

I tea bagged the black mask.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The next Batman installment should have a Batmobile, but it should just be a fancy red 30s car and you should be required to park it a few blocks away from your destination to keep it safe.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Mandatory Bruce Wayne story sections where you drive a Lamborghini and get riotously drunk in a nice restaurant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

more friedman units posted:

Mandatory Bruce Wayne story sections where you drive a Lamborghini and get riotously drunk in a nice restaurant.

Make those playable Hush side-missions where you're trying your best to make Bruce look like a huge douchebag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jerusalem posted:

Make those playable Hush side-missions where you're trying your best to make Bruce look like a huge douchebag.

An arkham sequel that begins with Bruce Wayne wanted for murder, with his assets seized and police wandering the manor, getting close to the grandfather clock, would be a great justification to limit equipment access and act as an initial story driver. It would also give an excuse to tool around the Palisades, possibly.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Kaizer88 posted:

I can sort of see that though, Bats does a lot of fine auto-adjusting in flight and stuff so gliding and the like appears more competent than it really is sometimes. You can grapnel boost towards some pretty stupid ledges and not end up smashing your teeth into a wall right behind it since Bats'll automatically do a 90 degree turn midair. You can straight up steer him right into buildings but then he'll just cling to them and glide off like he meant for that to happen. Likewise, you can make him free-fall 50 stories onto pavement but then he'll just do a cool pose when he lands.

You'd have to give him a Batmobile that dodges people/civilian cars like grapnel boost dodges walls while letting it do things like 180 degree turns off walls, like the Bat Pod does in the Nolan movies, to name a few things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Geez. What's everyone's specific problem and gigantic issue with vehicles in a loving Batman game of all things? What's any less Batman-ish about a game that handles that element of the character? Cause, you know, Batman never drives, flies or travels anywhere except grappling and gliding with his cape all over the city. Then he just punches people.

What an odd thing to get upset about and base purchasing decisions around.

Because it's very rare for vehicle segments in games not otherwise designed for them to be fun. It isn't less Batmanish, it's just far more likely to be stupid, tedious, and unenjoyable bullshit. I'd feel the same way if someone said "you know what'd be great in the next Metroid game? If you had to drive your spaceship around!"

There are only a few things you can do with vehicles and very few of them work well in games not designed specifically around driving vehicles around. At best they don't get in the way. At worst you'd get a lovely minigame or tacked-on driving that ruins the flow of the game. There are plenty of cool and fun driving games but they are specifically designed with driving as being something they put a lot of time and effort into. If you don't it often ends up feeling weird and crappy at best.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 13, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It would be like reverse Octodad where you need to lower Suspicion by being less competent.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If they do have another open world setting, what would be really nice is if you could do a grapnel boost without needing to temporarily slow down to ascend over the ledge, kind of like how the Spiderman 2 game allowed you to boost yourself by web-grabbing some wall or object ahead.

Having to constantly reset your momentum wasn't a big deal in AC considering the environment was fairly compact, but slowly gliding across the bridge in Origins got super tedious.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The problem I see with adding vehicles is it would require making a world big enough to justify them, which would result in a loss of detail in the environments they build unless they wanted to spend 10 years in development. Even in Origins other than the bridge you're only moving around like 20 square blocks, in most cases it'd be quicker to grapnel boost your way around than drop to the ground and call the Batmobile. I'd rather they stick to tighter but really nice looking environments like Asylum and City, even Origins started to feel kind of unpolished in some areas, like ledges you can't grapnel to for no apparent reason and giant twenty-story walls that block you off from leaving the city but don't make any logistic sense.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Knormal posted:

The problem I see with adding vehicles is it would require making a world big enough to justify them, which would result in a loss of detail in the environments they build unless they wanted to spend 10 years in development. Even in Origins other than the bridge you're only moving around like 20 square blocks, in most cases it'd be quicker to grapnel boost your way around than drop to the ground and call the Batmobile. I'd rather they stick to tighter but really nice looking environments like Asylum and City, even Origins started to feel kind of unpolished in some areas, like ledges you can't grapnel to for no apparent reason and giant twenty-story walls that block you off from leaving the city but don't make any logistic sense.

I can only really think of 3 big walls, one of which was a power station, one was Blackgate, the other was just giant commercial building.

It still beat the gently caress out of Wonder Tower/TYGER forcing the AC map into a horseshoe.

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug

Wayne's a tea toatler.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

After that, I went to the Server Room and there was a cutscene in which Batman meets Barbara before 14 armed guards came in after the cutscene was over.

Is it possible to beat all of those guys like with the previous group? I mean, I would've tried but fourteen armed thugs is a bit much.

Yes. I think Robo Sparkle, the World Record holder for the Arkham City speedruns probably did it on his first play through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K78LRjLk08

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The open world aspect of City was terrible. I want them to go back to the tight feel of Asylum.

I feel exactly the opposite, but I still wouldn't want them to go all GTA on Batman.

CzarChasm posted:

You've basically just described Lego Batman 2, but with crime scenes.

Even Lego Batman 2 has the "Citizens in Peril" guys who look like Stephen Colbert. :v:

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 13, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Paused posted:

Yes. I think Robo Sparkle, the World Record holder for the Arkham City speedruns probably did it on his first play through.

Ah, so explosive gel is the best thing to use there.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Paused posted:

This happened to me unintentionally. I triggered the cutscene and escaped the right way, but after exiting the range I doubled back to pick up some goodies I missed. Initially, the police were gone from the area when I backtracked- however when I returned to the area through the door next to the server room, all of them had spawned again and were.

I survived- more gracefully than that video even, by constantly redirecting followed by back punches, dropping smoke pellets, and doing the explosive gel thing. It's not as hard as it would seem but you're not going to have much luck building a big combo.

Then again I also dropped into the room much earlier with all the corrupt officers getting briefed. That's a much harder fight by far.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Doing a New Game+ Arkham City run and oof is Mr. Freeze's fight annoying.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So in Origins is anyone else having the glitch where a ton of buildings aren't reading as actually being there, and you just go sailing right loving through them into the water beneath the city?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

So in Origins is anyone else having the glitch where a ton of buildings aren't reading as actually being there, and you just go sailing right loving through them into the water beneath the city?

I've had this happen twice in Origins (and once in City).

I was really looking forward to this game, so all of these glitches are really bumming me out. Especially since I'm already irritated with trying to unlock the Dark Knight system stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Does Origins have always online DRM? I keep getting a message that says I'm not connected, and then get booted out of the game. My connection is very unstable at the moment, so that would be really annoying to find out.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Momomo posted:

Does Origins have always online DRM? I keep getting a message that says I'm not connected, and then get booted out of the game. My connection is very unstable at the moment, so that would be really annoying to find out.
It's some kind of bug. I got around it by taking Steam offline and turning off wireless/pulling network cable, hasn't happened since.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You know what I'd want to see in an Arkham sequel? Them really snag on the whole duality of Bruce and the cowl, and do a sort of Ocarina of Time setup where the actual plot is in the "modern" time of the game with Hush and Azrael as the main villains you have to contend with, but with some sort of setup where you can go back to that interim time between Origins and Arkham Asylum where you get to see things like Bruce's first encounter with Selena, and then later that same night Batman's first encounter with Catwoman, or Bruce's friendship with Harvey Dent, and then the events leading up to him becoming Two-Face, that sort of thing.

Hell, they could put it into a Hitman Contracts style of storytelling, where the Prologue of the game is Batman tracking Hush, Hush gets the drop on him and captures him, and then the bulk of the game is actually Bruce unmasked and strapped to a table in some cellar, with Hush loading him up on narcotics and lecturing/taunting him about how he's using his new Bruce disguise to undo everything he's ever built. In between these story moments Bruce passes out and his mind goes back to that interim era with all these story quest and side quest reminders of the weird dual nature of his existence, like hunting down Prometheus (who is basically an Evil Batman) or the aforementioned trying to get a handle on his feelings for Selena and their game of Cat and Bat. Throw in a few more of the more tortured villains from his gallery, and have several sections where you're just, say, playing Bruce at some posh suare, and you end up talking with Tommy Elliot and Harvey Dent, hell, throw Maxie Zeus in there too, why not.

In the modern storyline, you could have the option to toggle to Nightwing or Robin at any time, while they try to keep a lid on Gotham while Batman is MIA and try to track down Hush to rescue Bruce, maybe mixing in some Catwoman, too, since they already have her gameplay mostly hashed out.

It's a really rough concept for a story, but I totally think it would work, and the juxtaposition of multiple characters and a more nonstandard narrative approach is exactly what this series needs to breathe some new life into it so it doesn't get really stale.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phylodox posted:

Doing a New Game+ Arkham City run and oof is Mr. Freeze's fight annoying.

It can be a bit tedious, but I do really like how they made Freeze's suit even more powerful in New Game + since you can only have Detecive Mode active for so long until he tracks you from it. Re-playing Arkham City for the umpteenth time, and I realized that two mechanics I thought were new to Origins - aimable smoke pellets and corner takedowns - were actually in City all along.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fuzz posted:

You know what I'd want to see in an Arkham sequel? Them really snag on the whole duality of Bruce and the cowl, and do a sort of Ocarina of Time setup where the actual plot is in the "modern" time of the game with Hush and Azrael as the main villains you have to contend with, but with some sort of setup where you can go back to that interim time between Origins and Arkham Asylum where you get to see things like Bruce's first encounter with Selena, and then later that same night Batman's first encounter with Catwoman, or Bruce's friendship with Harvey Dent, and then the events leading up to him becoming Two-Face, that sort of thing.

We've already seen his first encounter with Catwoman, though. Origins Blackgate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We've already seen his first encounter with Catwoman, though. Origins Blackgate.

Ah, drat, never played that... it honestly looked terrible, and I don't have any handhelds currently.

Either way, the rest of my idea stands... plus they could easily still ahve her in there, it'd just be their ongoing flirtation vibe.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

surrender903 posted:

Wayne's a tea toatler.

Really? I guess I let the Nolan interpretation influence me. Not even pretending to be drunk as part of his billionaire playboy act?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Really? I guess I let the Nolan interpretation influence me. Not even pretending to be drunk as part of his billionaire playboy act?

He pretended to be drunk in Batman Begins, when he climbed into the fountain with the models.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Hell, they could put it into a Hitman Contracts style of storytelling, where the Prologue of the game is Batman tracking Hush, Hush gets the drop on him and captures him, and then the bulk of the game is actually Bruce unmasked and strapped to a table in some cellar, with Hush loading him up on narcotics and lecturing/taunting him about how he's using his new Bruce disguise to undo everything he's ever built. In between these story moments Bruce passes out and his mind goes back to that interim era with all these story quest and side quest reminders of the weird dual nature of his existence, like hunting down Prometheus (who is basically an Evil Batman) or the aforementioned trying to get a handle on his feelings for Selena and their game of Cat and Bat. Throw in a few more of the more tortured villains from his gallery, and have several sections where you're just, say, playing Bruce at some posh suare, and you end up talking with Tommy Elliot and Harvey Dent, hell, throw Maxie Zeus in there too, why not.

In the modern storyline, you could have the option to toggle to Nightwing or Robin at any time, while they try to keep a lid on Gotham while Batman is MIA and try to track down Hush to rescue Bruce, maybe mixing in some Catwoman, too, since they already have her gameplay mostly hashed out.

It's a really rough concept for a story, but I totally think it would work, and the juxtaposition of multiple characters and a more nonstandard narrative approach is exactly what this series needs to breathe some new life into it so it doesn't get really stale.

He first met Catwoman (and Bronze loving Tiger) in Origins: Blackgate.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

In Batman year one he puts up the whole I am the smuggest douchebag billionaire act and treats Alfred like crap. Of course Gordon didn't even buy it one bit but he didn't bother him about it. The one thing that is consistent I've seen is Bruce pretending to drink. In TDK (Frank Miller) Gordon recollects Bruce pretending to drink whiskey when it was actually apple cider.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Shindragon posted:

In Batman year one he puts up the whole I am the smuggest douchebag billionaire act and treats Alfred like crap. Of course Gordon didn't even buy it one bit but he didn't bother him about it. The one thing that is consistent I've seen is Bruce pretending to drink. In TDK (Frank Miller) Gordon recollects Bruce pretending to drink whiskey when it was actually apple cider.

Wait what? Has Nolan poisoned me into believing Gordon never knows who Bruce/Batman are?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

At the end of Year One, it is extremely heavily implied that Gordon sees Batman unmasked. He looks him right in the face and says something along the lines of,"It sure is muddy here, I can barely see through my glasses. Anyway, you should go before I have to arrest you... whoever you are."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gordon's knowledge of who Batman is depends on the writer. It varies between "He doesn't know" "He knows but doesn't tell" and "he could know but chooses not to investigate it." It's pretty explicitly stated that he knows Barbara is/was Batgirl but his knowledge of Batman's identity varies on the writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Gordon's knowledge of who Batman is depends on the writer. It varies between "He doesn't know" "He knows but doesn't tell" and "he could know but chooses not to investigate it." It's pretty explicitly stated that he knows Barbara is/was Batgirl but his knowledge of Batman's identity varies on the writer.

Canonically I'm pretty sure he 100% knows Barbara was Batgirl. During the Killing Joke I feel like he specifically blames Batman for causing Joker to paralyze Barbara, even though she wasn't actually dressed as Batgirl at the time. Been almost a decade since I last read it though, so my memory might be crossed with something else.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread