Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disco Cat
Oct 20, 2002
Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but aren't several of those Robin/Deathstroke animations identical to Batman to begin with? Namely, the wall-jump, face-punch, and twisty, horizontal, whack-guy-from-across-the-room onces in particular, only Robin/Deathstroke have a bo in their hands.

I might not have as high expectations as others, though. I was surprised how full-featured and unique Knightwing's moveset was in City since I was expecting just a reskin. But even with different animations, Robin was always just an analogue for Batman anyway. He ended up playing exactly the same in the Harley's Revenge campaign, hiding in grates and grappling to gargoyles to pick off individuals. If they were really to make a new playable character it would be more significant to remove and add abilities that require the player to change their strategy, rather than re-animate the same set of actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

BreakAtmo posted:

They are, and the Vita version will almost certainly look substantially better unless they made the game for the 3DS and the Vita version is just a lazy hack-job that looks the same but runs in 544p.

This is the case.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Disco Cat posted:

If they were really to make a new playable character it would be more significant to remove and add abilities that require the player to change their strategy, rather than re-animate the same set of actions.

Like Catwoman, right? She still had to switch up between pure melee and Predator combat but she didn't have the same gadgets as Batman and I think she was meant to be weaker in raw strength but faster in hit rate.

I'd like to see how Nightwing would travel in a city environment. He doesn't have a cape so I'd like to see how he would kill his fall or drop from a building onto a guy at street level.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All four Saints Row games were designed by Volition.

A much stronger comparison would probably be the Treyarch-developed Call of Duty games. They started out with rather weak entries in the franchise - World at War and CoD 3 superficially ape Infinity Ward while completely lacking any talented level design or enthralling pacing.

But Black Ops and Black Ops 2, for all their detractors, are at this point a different flavoured concoction of the same drink. Personally, I still prefer Infinity Ward's entries, but I've got plenty of friends who'd argue that Black Ops 1 and 2 are much more enticing offerings.

And while I largely thought Arkham City was a brilliant sequel (all of the gameplay enhancements, in particular), the storyline left a lot of potential unused. And although I'm dreading playing yet ANOTHER Batman game that promises a minimal Joker presence only to watch the Clown Prince take the plot hostage - I can't say I'm not looking forward to seeing what Origins does with the Batman mythos.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade was still a prototype in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redbackground posted:

I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade had just been invented in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!
I figured fast travel via the Batwing was meant to replace that?

I didn't enjoy transit at all in City, to be honest. It was a cool idea but doesn't change the fact that you'll just be gliding uneventfully through the air most of the time.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured fast travel via the Batwing was meant to replace that?

I didn't enjoy transit at all in City, to be honest. It was a cool idea but doesn't change the fact that you'll just be gliding uneventfully through the air most of the time.

Different strokes I guess, I found it really fun getting to my destination across the city without touching a building.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Terminally Bored posted:

I think the boss fights will be fun in this game, if it's not just PR speak:

[quote="Ben Mattes"]Our decision to create a premise of assassins coming to town and challenging Batman to undergo this significant evolution was inspired and driven heavily by the Mr. freeze fight. Our entire boss fight design philosophy centres around that idea of the masterclass. For every core encounter that we have in this game, the player is tested on the mastery of some subset of the Arkham mechanic. Each assassin serves effectively as an exam that, by passing, the player is given the confidence to take the lessons learned to apply in the rest world as we layer in more challenging enemy configurations.

This is sick news, the Mr Freeze fight was probably the best part of Arkham City, hands down. Glad they recognised that and they're working from it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Boing posted:

This is sick news, the Mr Freeze fight was probably the best part of Arkham City, hands down. Glad they recognised that and they're working from it.

Yeah, this is fantastic news. As much as I adore this franchise, the boss fights have always been a glaring weak spot with the exception of the Freeze fight.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

redbackground posted:

I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade was still a prototype in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!

It's my understanding that they're just gonna handwave it with a different name, the Grapnel Accelator, but have the gameplay be exactly the same as in City because they realize in this instance gameplay's probably more important than that comment by Batman in City. So never fear.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

It's my understanding that they're just gonna handwave it with a different name, the Grapnel Accelator, but have the gameplay be exactly the same as in City because they realize in this instance gameplay's probably more important than that comment by Batman in City. So never fear.

Origin's Batman already looks more armored up than Asylum's or City's.

I completely forgot about it being experimental.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

redbackground posted:

Replaying Asylum at the moment and I keep trying to boost my grapnel each time I use it :shobon:

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Origin's Batman already looks more armored up than Asylum's or City's.

I completely forgot about it being experimental.

Well according to the developers, they designed him to look less sleek, like his armor has more parts to it and is more noticeable and bulky.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stroth posted:

He does use guns if he needs to. But the game already has Deadshot, we don't need another crazed gunman.

Also, for the record, Deathstroke does use a staff in the comics. Admittedly, a high tech staff that shoots energy blasts, but he uses it like a bo.

The staff does the same thing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1E5ZArgsQ

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

Well according to the developers, they designed him to look less sleek, like his armor has more parts to it and is more noticeable and bulky.

I feel like there's going to be some in-game explanation for why he opted for a sleeker outfit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Action Tortoise posted:

I feel like there's going to be some in-game explanation for why he opted for a sleeker outfit.

He stated in City he preferred less armor on his suit because it lets him move better.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Have they announced what time they're releasing Origins on the 25th? I assumed either midnight Pacific or Eastern, except the Steam countdown suggests noon Central, which seems like an odd time for the release of a AAA title.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

QuantaStarFire posted:

Have they announced what time they're releasing Origins on the 25th? I assumed either midnight Pacific or Eastern, except the Steam countdown suggests noon Central, which seems like an odd time for the release of a AAA title.
It will be 10AM pacific time which is normal for steam releases if it's not a midnight release.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sonel posted:

It will be 10AM pacific time which is normal for steam releases if it's not a midnight release.

So whenever Valve's store resets then? That's odd, and kinda disappointing. I enjoy midnight launches. :(

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I checked the last 4 pages and didn't see this posted:

European PC-DVD, WiiU, and 3DS versions of the game will be delayed to November 8.

PC download, PS3, Xbox 360, and Vita versions will still come out this Friday in Europe.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
The One Million skin will be available to everyone who logs in with a WBID account.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they shown any in-depth or relatively raw footage of the weird multiplayer they're shoving into this thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

Have they shown any in-depth or relatively raw footage of the weird multiplayer they're shoving into this thing?

There was a PC Beta, but all the responses were extremely negative. I wouldn't hold your breath on it being any good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the multiplayer like, a bunch of Batmans all running around batmanning each other?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the multiplayer like, a bunch of Batmans all running around batmanning each other?

No, that actually sounds fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

No. There are two sets of goons from Joker and Bane gangs fighting and then someone playing Batman and someone playing Robin who is trying take down both sides.

At least at last check it was a real disaster. The abilities were extremely poorly balanced and there were some basic conceptual ideas which just didn't work. This was the Beta and it probably saw balance before release but it seems difficult to buy it'll be very good. It is being done by an entirely different team from the main game.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

seal it with a kiss posted:

The One Million skin will be available to everyone who logs in with a WBID account.

Because I'm a dumb dummy--how does this work with just buying the game off Steam?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Orv posted:

There were videos on Youtube from the beta, not sure if they've been deleted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

Because I'm a dumb dummy--how does this work with just buying the game off Steam?

It'll be an in-game login.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

redbackground posted:

If it's like other WB games, you log into WBID in-game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

redbackground posted:

In-game you have the option to log in with a Warner Brothers ID, which is the system they use for Gotham Imposters, Infinite Crisis and a couple other things. Steam or not, doesn't matter.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Okay, cool. Thanks.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
The multiplayer is being developed by Splash Damage, of Brink infamy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watched some videos of the beta, fairly disappointing stuff. I love asymmetric multiplayer and if stealth is involved it's basically my favorite kind of multiplayer in existence, so that's a real shame. I think a better option would have been 7v1 thugs vs Batman in more claustrophobic environs, or something of that nature.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

seal it with a kiss posted:

The multiplayer is being developed by Splash Damage, of Brink infamy.

And just like Brink the Arkham multiplayer is so close, but in the end completely worthless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If this is anything like the previous Arkham games, then I'm going to end up with 100-200 hours put into this game, and people will probably mistakenly think I play the multiplayer (I won't be) :sweatdrop:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I'm still over here shaking my fist about the multiplayer achievements. Let alone the quality of it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are there screens of all the alternate suits/costumes somewhere online?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

El Tortuga posted:

I'm still over here shaking my fist about the multiplayer achievements. Let alone the quality of it.
You're not alone :sigh:

Zsinjeh posted:

God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.
If the reports are true that the multiplayer sucks then it's probably going to be dead in a very short time when I come back around to finish off the last achievments I don't have :mad:

they're also the kind of achievments where you have to grind to x amount of levels, probably max so you can't really cheese it with goons in a couple of games.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Literally all I'd ask for in multiplayer is two-person co-op challenge rooms so that we could get some huge Batman and Robin dynamic duo teamups going. Is that so much to ask? It can't be that hard to do. :-(

• Locked thread