Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It will be time to upgrade by the time it is out anyhow. Right now, there are barely any games on next-gen systems. But by then, there will be quite a few. Also, the PS3/Xbox360 gen lasted for what? 8 or 9 years? Its time to move on. Believe me, I felt the same way when I finally upgraded from XP to 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PoshAlligator posted:

I love reading about the Arkham games in this thread, though I haven't played any of them yet because I'm still waiting for them to finally release PS2 versions.

Still waiting on my set of Arkham City punchcards for my ENIAC rig. Fell a million forests, Rocksteady, it's not that hard.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Crappy Jack posted:

Besides, it'll make Sony WAY more money in the long run if Rocksteady makes an incentive out of buying more PS4s. That's the win/win right there, Sony sells more consoles because people really want to play the next Batman game.
AK is basically going to be my reason/excuse to buy a PS4.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CaptainMidnight posted:

In my opinion it sucks that Batman Arkham Knight will only be for the PS4, XBox One and PC. Why leave the people that have the Xbox 360 and PS3 out in the cold? Just make a disk for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Sony and Rocksteady would profit greatly from it. Opinions?

As has been said, what you're asking is for Rocksteady to permanently make the game worse for everyone. Making the game for last-gen as well would result in the game being unable to have any real next-gen gameplay - it would just be a last-gen game with better graphics. Things like being able to fly directly into a building with no loading times and the immense size of the world needs the capabilities of the next-gen consoles and PC to be at all possible.

You want to play it so much, buy a PS4, or maybe a really cheap PC that just barely meets the requirements.

PoshAlligator posted:

Wasn't it Clock King's wife that was dying from it, which gave him a sort of Mr. Freeze vibe?

Nope, it was Tockman himself.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is always the lovely part of a console generation. If developers decide to release next-gen and current-gen versions of the game, they end up compromised. The next-gen is basically a shinier port that doesn't take advantage of the new console, and the old version is usually thrown together with all sorts of weird issues - Trials fusion has a 360 version that isn't even in proper HD so it can run at 60 fps.

And if a developer decides to bet heavily on only next-gen the user base is smaller than average and old fans feel left out. I don't own a PS4 or Xbone, and Arkham is the first game that'll really make me think about upgrading. And that's totally fine!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The last console generation was nearly 10 years long. I'm pretty sure everyone is really desperate to move on.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

The last console generation was nearly 10 years long. I'm pretty sure everyone is really desperate to move on.

Why? I don't really care, I'd be happy to have PS3 games for the rest of my life.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Austrian mook posted:

Why? I don't really care, I'd be happy to have PS3 games for the rest of my life.

There's a pretty noticeable difference between what PS3 / Xbox can do and what even mid-range PCs can do. The amount of RAM in the previous generation imposes a limit on how big and detailed levels can be, for example.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

How good is Cold, Cold Heart? I played the Initiation campaign last night and was rather disappointed by it, I'm hoping CCH provides a lot more in the way of actual level structure and a good boss fight (Maybe?).

It's decent, and does both of those. It's a small campaign set in South Gotham, with two main building interiors (Wayne Manor and Gothcorp). Better than HQR or the Initiation stuff, although I'd have liked to have had the areas available as challenge maps as well.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

No thanks. Once you see games running on a PS4 or high-end PC, PS3 games start to look muddy, choppy and limited. There are exceptions, sure, and the PS3 remains a great console that I'm sure will stick around for a while, but for many it's time to move forward. As I said before - whereas in the previous Batman games you had the city and the buildings as separate entities with loading screens inbetween, in Arkham Knight the RAM allows for you to seamlessly just fly into a building. Also AK's Gotham is 5x the size of Arkham City. That's just a small example of the sort of thing the new consoles allow for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

A modern smartphone has more RAM than the PS3 and 360 combined. Even if you don't care about graphics that puts a really really heavy restriction on what games can do gameplay-wise. Like even if the graphics don't see any improvement, it isn't just graphics that are getting an upgrade. Even ignoring the financial reasons, it's going to a relief to developers to stop having to work around the design limitations of consoles that are approaching a decade of age.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Wow, double post

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BreakAtmo posted:

No thanks. Once you see games running on a PS4 or high-end PC, PS3 games start to look muddy, choppy and limited. There are exceptions, sure, and the PS3 remains a great console that I'm sure will stick around for a while, but for many it's time to move forward. As I said before - whereas in the previous Batman games you had the city and the buildings as separate entities with loading screens inbetween, in Arkham Knight the RAM allows for you to seamlessly just fly into a building. Also AK's Gotham is 5x the size of Arkham City. That's just a small example of the sort of thing the new consoles allow for.
Yeah, Arkham City was a great game that squeezed a lot out of ageing hardware, but Rocksteady had to resort to blunt-force tricks like using the prison walls around Wonder Tower in the middle of the map to limit how much of the city was visible at any one time. (Things like that actually became more obvious in play when Montreal took over for Origins, because now you had a supposedly 'open' environment that still had massive, unclimbable buildings blocking sightlines, and the areas around the edge of the north island that had previously been walled in just kind of petered out in a very unrealistic way.) I'm looking forward to chilling on a high tower with a view of the whole city before swooping down to whichever part of it I like.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Payndz posted:

Yeah, Arkham City was a great game that squeezed a lot out of ageing hardware, but Rocksteady had to resort to blunt-force tricks like using the prison walls around Wonder Tower in the middle of the map to limit how much of the city was visible at any one time. (Things like that actually became more obvious in play when Montreal took over for Origins, because now you had a supposedly 'open' environment that still had massive, unclimbable buildings blocking sightlines, and the areas around the edge of the north island that had previously been walled in just kind of petered out in a very unrealistic way.) I'm looking forward to chilling on a high tower with a view of the whole city before swooping down to whichever part of it I like.

Seriously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And just think, spread across all that space is thug banter :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jerusalem posted:

Man, first it was Arkham Knight, now it's Arkham Baron. What's next? Arkham Duke? Arkham freakin' Lord Protector?! Who the hell thought making masked lunatics peers of the realm was a good idea?!?!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I met John DiMaggio a couple of weeks ago, I should have asked him how many years he's spent doing Arkham Knight voice work. I can't imagine it being less.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jerusalem posted:

And it's the same two or three guys speaking every time. :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Arkham Knight will definitely be reason enough for me to buy a PS4 or maybe even a high end PC. I only bought and played Arkham City about 2 years ago, and since then I've replayed it more than I can count. I read in an interview that the Batmobile alone uses the same amount of memory as an entire Xbox 360 game. That gives a good indication of how much bigger the scale of Arkham Knight is.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Arkham Knight will definitely be reason enough for me to buy a PS4 or maybe even a high end PC. I only bought and played Arkham City about 2 years ago, and since then I've replayed it more than I can count. I read in an interview that the Batmobile alone uses the same amount of memory as an entire Xbox 360 game. That gives a good indication of how much bigger the scale of Arkham Knight is.

I'm not quite sure what the Riddler is playing at with Riddler Cave race courses, but whatever.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So wait, I re-played Arkham City and did the Al-Ghoul (not sure how it's spelled) family both die? Did Clayface?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

So wait, I re-played Arkham City and did the Al-Ghoul (not sure how it's spelled) family both die? Did Clayface?

It's al Ghul, and we don't know. It was left deliberately ambiguous, I think.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Pretty sure I remember there was a quote in the AC DLC mentioning the deaths of Joker and Talia and how it was affecting Batman. We also clearly saw Ras Al Ghul killed in AC, which I don't think was supposed to be an ambiguous death). No idea about Clayface, but I think he slipped into the lazarus pit at the end which I think we're supposed to assume kept him alive.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Keeku posted:

Pretty sure I remember there was a quote in the AC DLC mentioning the deaths of Joker and Talia and how it was affecting Batman. We also clearly saw Ras Al Ghul killed in AC, which I don't think was supposed to be an ambiguous death). No idea about Clayface, but I think he slipped into the lazarus pit at the end which I think we're supposed to assume kept him alive.

On the other hand, Batman says "let's just say he's going to need a trip to a Lazarus Pit" and later on al Ghul's impaled body is missing from the entrance into Arkham City.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

On the other hand, Batman says "let's just say he's going to need a trip to a Lazarus Pit" and later on al Ghul's impaled body is missing from the entrance into Arkham City.

That's true, but he did clearly die as Austrian Mook asked. Being Ras Al Ghul though I don't think anyone would be too surprised at all if he was alive again in the next game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Keeku posted:

That's true, but he did clearly die as Austrian Mook asked. Being Ras Al Ghul though I don't think anyone would be too surprised at all if he was alive again in the next game.

Yeah, I meant that it was ambiguous whether or not Ra's and Talia were killed off permanently. Obviously they died, but again, Lazarus Pit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ra's is dead, but he was also dead during Arkham Asylum and we see how that barely affected his appearance in the sequel. Talia is also dead, and chances are pretty good she'll be brought back with the Lazarus Pit only to go rabid for a short while.

And Clayface will either be alive but unaffected by the Lazarus Pit or turned back into his normal human self. The Lazarus Pit is designed to heal abnormalities and sickness in the body, but is fatal to anyone who isn't suffering from any kind of ailment while using them. So, Basil Karlo is either human again or unaffected because of his Clayface-ness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ra's body disappears in the AC postgame. He's alive.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Good god I forgot how bad Catwoman was, zip up your costume! You must be freezing to death! :ohdear:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Austrian mook posted:

Good god I forgot how bad Catwoman was, zip up your costume! You must be freezing to death! :ohdear:

I didn't mind how she was portrayed, but the goon dialog in her sections was awful. Paul Dini talked about how he butted heads with Rocksteady over the language, but they kept it in anyway.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 2, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, you're saying they didn't care for his bitching? :suicide:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I didn't mind how she was portrayed, but the goon dialog in her sections was awful. Paul Dini talked about how he butted heads with Rocksteady over the language, but they kept it in anyway.

The opposite happened with Kane and Lynch 2, hilariously. The writers were criticized for all the swearing in the first game so they cut it down this time around, only for the actors to ad lib it all back in. :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yep, as Batman you get to beat up smug punks but as Catwoman it's "bitch" "bitch" "bitch" "bitch" "bitch" "bitch"

:sigh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The worst thing about dialogue towards Catwoman is not just the fact that everyone calls her a bitch.

It's the fact that everyone either calls her a bitch or implies that they want to do something violent to her sexually.

Someone made a compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOk3K_lo-Y

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was always skeeved out by the fact that threats of violent rape were met with flirty banter. I mean, yeah, she was breaking faces and arms at the time, but still...so loving creepy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The worst thing about dialogue towards Catwoman is not just the fact that everyone calls her a bitch.

It's the fact that everyone either calls her a bitch or implies that they want to do something violent to her sexually.

Someone made a compilation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOk3K_lo-Y

It's not like she was the only one. They said the same kind of poo poo to Bruce Wayne in the beginning.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 3, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Phylodox posted:

I was always skeeved out by the fact that threats of violent rape were met with flirty banter. I mean, yeah, she was breaking faces and arms at the time, but still...so loving creepy.

Video game writing!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

It's not like the was the only one. They said the same kind of poo poo to Bruce Wayne in the beginning.

I recall precisely one guy saying "You're going to be my bitch, Wayne" and everything else was pretty much generic death threats.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 3, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MrJacobs posted:

It's not like the was the only one. They said the same kind of poo poo to Bruce Wayne in the beginning.

Yeah, then you become batman and they're all really scared of you. Even when you're kicking rear end as catwoman, it's just "you loving bitch" and "I'm going to do filthy things to you"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Austrian mook posted:

Video game writing!!!!!!!!!!!

Video game writing compounded by comic book writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, then you become batman and they're all really scared of you. Even when you're kicking rear end as catwoman, it's just "you loving bitch" and "I'm going to do filthy things to you"

While it doesn't excuse the dialogue in the slightest, Batman actively hunts down these assholes on a daily basis instilling the fear of god within them. Catwoman avoids conflict unless it's between her and her goal (usually a score of some kind), so they have no reason to straight up be terrified of her at all. She also isn't trained on the same level as the Bat-family so it always was kind of weird to me to see her beating the poo poo out of 10+ dudes effortlessly.

I just want a Catwoman game similar to the Hitman or Thief games where you use stealth and guile to capture a huge score. But that will never happen :(

• Locked thread