Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

I've been avoiding using the shock gloves much since you and others have said it makes things too easy, but drat if it doesn't seem like a lot of the gangs you fight are made to be dealt with using the shock gloves. There are so many armor and shield enemies in this one.

I generally try to avoid them myself but as I said I haven't been having my trouble. Shock Gloves are a bit overpowered in general although I think they hurt your overall Challenge Room score by making you kill enemies too quickly (even with the bonus to your multiplier) so it isn't as big a deal as it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I generally try to avoid them myself but as I said I haven't been having my trouble. Shock Gloves are a bit overpowered in general although I think they hurt your overall Challenge Room score by making you kill enemies too quickly (even with the bonus to your multiplier) so it isn't as big a deal as it could be.

Well, I've made it this far so I'd rather keep trying to force myself to get better at the game without the shock gloves. I like this series enough to actually care about getting some skill with the combat system, but so far AO has exposed my deficiencies without really making me much better at the game.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9VIB3jwM4

Am I playing a different game from everyone else or something? Saying you can't counter out of attacks is wrong.

This is actually very eye opening. I played the first 2 on PS3, and origins on PC. I thought they had genuinely changed something about the way countering works. I have honestly had to completely change the way I played while surrounded by goons by being less aggressive. Most of the time I get hit and interrupted is because I have already committed to attacking someone else and can do absolutely nothing about the incoming attack. Given how this release has been, I would not be surprised if they hosed something up.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Really, really starting to think the pc version is far more bugged than I thought. And that's saying something.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, PS3. I have a theory there may be some weird glitch on the PC version which is screwing things up because a lot of what people have complained about I just haven't encountered. I've gone through entire fights without hitting evade and haven't had any trouble.

(The biggest problem I have is that they swapped the shoulder buttons from City so I keep turning on detective vision when I try to use a move and vice-versa. It's really annoying and you can't swap the controls.)

I just wanted to chime in as a hard mode PC player that even though I had a little trouble getting back into the groove the combat seems perfectly fine. Hell it actually feels really easy most times. Im 14/15 on the combat challenges and I haven't even gotten the shock gloves yet.

It's pretty obvious when guys are going to run up and attack and most of the time you can counter before the prompt even appears above them.

quote:

I really wouldn't be surprised. Even if the combat isn't bugged and I'm missing something, there seems to just be flat-out a lot more wrong with the PC release than any of the others. (And the PS3 release isn't exactly bug-free.)
I dunno, it sounds like the 360 version is the most broken with random crashes and etc. I've only crashed once and haven't actually seen any real bugs yet.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Really, really starting to think the pc version is far more bugged than I thought. And that's saying something.

I really wouldn't be surprised. Even if the combat isn't bugged and I'm missing something, there seems to just be flat-out a lot more wrong with the PC release than any of the others. (And the PS3 release isn't exactly bug-free.)

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I don't think it's a bug, I think it's copy protection gone wrong. If memory serves, the previous Arkham games had some wacky copy protection that made the camera spin or made grapnel hooking a pain in the rear end, so I wouldn't put it past them to put in stupid things like, oh I don't know, vents that you can't crawl into or enemies that are too aggressive and counters that don't work properly, but then screwing up that implementation and forcing it on everybody. The patch notes for the upcoming patch on Steam refer to them removing an "ownersonly" section type, so I really wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be the problem. The fact that just about everybody playing on PC is complaining about the terrible new counter timing and a lot of console players aren't doesn't help my opinion.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 30, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RadicalWall posted:

I just wanted to chime in as a hard mode PC player that even though I had a little trouble getting back into the groove the combat seems perfectly fine. Hell it actually feels really easy most times. Im 14/15 on the combat challenges and I haven't even gotten the shock gloves yet.

It's pretty obvious when guys are going to run up and attack and most of the time you can counter before the prompt even appears above them.

It's been different in my experience. There are definitely times where I'm supposed to be countering something and it just shuts down my combo or I try and hit them before they hit me only to fail or I am out of the way of their punch by virtue of moving away to hit someone else and get hit anyway. I agree they telegraph their movements still, but it hasn't helped me much. I'm also on 14/15 challenges, but unless I have a eureka moment I think I might be unable to do the last one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

It's been different in my experience. There are definitely times where I'm supposed to be countering something and it just shuts down my combo or I try and hit them before they hit me only to fail or I am out of the way of their punch by virtue of moving away to hit someone else and get hit anyway. I agree they telegraph their movements still, but it hasn't helped me much. I'm also on 14/15 challenges, but unless I have a eureka moment I think I might be unable to do the last one.

Yeah, if it is this difficult then something has to be up. I literally got the last challenge by accident fighting a bunch of SWAT dudes. I wasn't even going for it it, it just happened.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if it is this difficult then something has to be up. I literally got the last challenge by accident fighting a bunch of SWAT dudes. I wasn't even going for it it, it just happened.

Well, do you have any tips for getting better at it? I'm sure it's partly my fault, but yeah, I've tried to give it the benefit of the doubt yet I've noticed those three things a good amount.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Beeez posted:

It's been different in my experience. There are definitely times where I'm supposed to be countering something and it just shuts down my combo or I try and hit them before they hit me only to fail or I am out of the way of their punch by virtue of moving away to hit someone else and get hit anyway.

You should take a video of it. Sorry if I'm skeptical but the game has been mercifully fine for me.

quote:

I try and hit them before they hit me only to fail

Yeah this will fail most of the time, if they've already got their counter signal you're way better off countering.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 30, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like the "last thug standing" lines - in addition to getting,"NOT THE FACE!" or "I GIVE UP DON'T HIT ME!" stuff, I got a neat moment where one thug managed to punch me in the back of the head just as I knocked out the last of his buddies. As he hit me, he moaned,"I ALREADY REGRET DOING THAT! :gonk:"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RadicalWall posted:

You should take a video of it. Sorry if I'm skeptical but the game has been mercifully fine for me.

Yeah this will fail most of the time, if they've already got their counter signal you're way better off countering.

I don't really know how to record stuff and I don't have a Youtube account, but it's understandable if you don't believe me. And what I meant was if I'm already mid punch and they start trying to hit me, a decent percentage of time they actually win out even though I was already starting to attack them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dicking around with the enigma packs, I almost got used to all the slowdown, framerate stuttering, and the occasional texture pop-in.

Then I threw Arkham City back in. Runs smooth as butter, even with my iffy hard drive on the ps3.

How is everyone else's copy holding up? Is the PC version at least running vaguely smooth?

Though I thought the story cribbed a little too heavily from established sources (Gordon has a monologue or two that sound straight from Batman Begins), its very well executed. Especially loved the mid-game mystery that slowly builds, with a well-designed twist.

It is unfortunate that Arkham City yelled "No More Joker stories!" and the next Arkham game is... one long love letter to the Joker. Then again, I'll admit that the last quarter of the story really kicked things up with some genuinely great dramatic moments.

Special praise really must be given to the new Voice Actors. As good as Baker was as the Joker, I thought Smith sold Bruce's transformation with real skill. For half the game he sounds like he's doing a half-assed Conroy impersonation. And then his voice grows scratchy, ragged, almost scarred by the events of Christmas Eve.

The story felt very safe in most respects, but its unquestionably well-executed.

The question is really up to the player if you prefer the tight but traditional Origins, or the sprawling ambition and messy excess of Arkham City.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that they know they're going to get the bulk of their ROI on the console versions, so the PC release gets the least QA. To say nothing of the fact that PC releases suffer from Microsoft Syndrome, where they have to plan for different driver/hardware configurations, whereas on consoles it's a closed platform.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Yeah I could do without Joker entirely for like the next two games in the DC universe. He's been wrung dry.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah I could do without Joker entirely for like the next two games in the DC universe. He's been wrung dry.

I suppose its (Arkham City Spoiler) a good thing he is dead in the future games set after Arkham City then, I am personally really looking forward to how they will approach Harley after the grieving and how the other baddies will react without the Joker there to worry their plans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

How is everyone else's copy holding up? Is the PC version at least running vaguely smooth?

PC version runs absolutely fine for me, no problems at all apart from the very well documented Burnley Tower vent bug.

I have played both Asylum and City very recently though, and Arkham City is just loving spectacular performance wise - especially with the PhysX cranked up. That said, I do recall when it originally came out there were massive problems in terms of frame-rate/crashes if you played it in DX11 (or was it 10?) mode.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Yeah I could go without the Joker for awhile too, and I felt that way before playing this game, but drat if his appearances in this story weren't fantastic. As a matter of fact the overall story this time was phenomenal, easily the best of all the games. Still though, I'm hoping the next game is not a prequel (even though there's so much potential in more prequels eventually) and also maybe even addresses the the dangling Hush and Azreal sideplots. Oh and I guess Harley's baby too or whatever, but I'm indifferent on that one.

It was nice to see Bane as the most competent, legitimate threat he's been since like 1993 (aside from Dark Knight Rises of course). And it was nice for the main character of the games to actually have a character arc too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Narcissus1916 posted:

Going to echo other statements that it runs great. I'm using a GTX 760 with an i7 4770 and it runs at a steady FPS with everything cranked up to the highest. Most other DX11 games will give me some slowdown when I turn up the AA too much, but even with the TXAA on high it doesn't run into any framerate issues. With all the effects Nvidia added I'd say it's probably one of the top five best looking games on PC, which makes it all that more ridiculous that they seem to have released it without actually getting someone to try playing through it first.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've got 27 hours in and it's locked up 3 times where I had to Force Quit. There are the other bugs, divebombing through the world, interrogations not working properly, vent bug, etc., etc.

Still a good game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Oh and I guess Harley's baby too or whatever, but I'm indifferent on that one.

In the Harley DLC for Arkham City, if you look around her old Steel Mill headquarters you discover a giant pile of failed pregnancy tests, apparently the first was a false positive :smith:.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RE: Shock Gloves

I find those absolutely essential in large fights with shield/knife goons because I can target them, knock 'em down, and if I have a combo built up, I can go for a multi-ground takedown which clears me up. And they're also useful for engaging armored enemies because I don't have to waste time getting that cape-stun in, I can just start to wail on them and still have time to counter anyone else that comes at me.

RE: Blade Dodge Takedowns

If anyone else is still having problems with this takedown, try out the 100 to 1 DLC challenge brawl. Around 30 goons in you'll find a shitload of knife-wielding goons to practice on. The key is to hold the joystick back and time your Counter button presses with each swipe. Ideally you should be tapping it right before they lunge at you, and if done right, you'll get the takedown on the 3rd swipe. Be careful with the shadow assassins though, they swipe four times and will throw you off. Simply put, if you can master taking down the blade-wielding assassins with the Blade Dodge Takedown, you can definitely take down the regular knife guys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

In the Harley DLC for Arkham City, if you look around her old Steel Mill headquarters you discover a giant pile of failed pregnancy tests, apparently the first was a false positive :smith:.

It's conceivable that when Poison Ivy gave Harley the "resistance to toxins" treatment that she might've inadvertently or purposely done it not only to make Harley harder to kill by Mistah J but also to make sure she never got pregnant by him, either. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad story arc, Harley finding out what Ivy did to her.

Scyantific posted:

They're a gift from the gods and feel like a loving cheat, but since some people really like to torture themselves, they really should give you the option to take them off when they aren't needed.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

They feel more like the developers admitted they threw so many new enemies at you that there needed to be a "X trumps everything."

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm going to repurpose my post a bit about the blade takedowns. I find holding both the counter button + away to be a better way to handle them, because you don't have to worry about timing each press, and it comes with the added bonus of being a sure-fire way to avoid being hit. However, the best way I've found to perform the takedown is to release the counter button after the second strike has been evaded, and then hold and release right as the third attack (or fourth, if it's a ninja) begins. I'd post a video, but it's kind of impossible to illustrate this without showing my hands.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 30, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

doctor 7 posted:

They feel more like the developers admitted they threw so many new enemies at you that there needed to be a "X trumps everything."

Eh, the shock gloves never really feel necessary to me. I almost never bother with them. (probably a pretty different experience on hard though)

The only really new enemy type I can think of are the mini-Banes. Everyone else is basically from Arkham City. Lieutenants are basically still lieutenants, ninjas still ninjas. I guess you could consider the mini-lieutenants (that don't charge) and swordless ninjas as new, but they just seem like easier variants of those enemies to me. And they took out Titans.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I think it's more that they wanted to include a handicap for people who had trouble.

They're actually not entirely new. The new Wii U port of Arkham City has the BAT Suit which functions the same way as the Shock Gloves. Storing kinetic energy and everything.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sonny Cheebah posted:

I'm going to repurpose my post a bit about the blade takedowns. I find holding both the counter button + away to be a better way to handle them, because you don't have to worry about timing each press, and it comes with the added bonus of being a sure-fire way to avoid being hit. However, the best way I've found to perform the takedown is to release the counter button after the second strike has been evaded, and then hold and release right as the third attack (or fourth, if it's a ninja) begins. I'd post a video, but it's kind of impossible to illustrate this without showing my hands.

I believe there is an actual in game mention of this mechanic somewhere. Perhaps in the core game section of the challenge listing or the one of the training challenges in the Batcave. It specifically says that you should hold back and then tap the counter button on the last strike.

I don't know why I can remember seeing it because I sure as hell never seem to practice it since I always want to tap the counter button for each strike.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Finished the game tonight. As moderately bummed as I was at first to find out the the Joker was yet again the main bad behind everything, the writers and voice actor did such a fan-loving-tastic job that I'm actually really happy we got to see the best Arkham Joker story and performance yet. I think it's a perfect send off to Batman's greatest nemesis and I'm really looking forward to see what Rocksteady is going to do without Mr. J in the next (barring any Lazarus Pit shenanigans...).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Finished the game tonight. As moderately bummed as I was at first to find out the the Joker was yet again the main bad behind everything, the writers and voice actor did such a fan-loving-tastic job that I'm actually really happy we got to see the best Arkham Joker story and performance yet. I think it's a perfect send off to Batman's greatest nemesis and I'm really looking forward to see what Rocksteady is going to do without Mr. J in the next (barring any Lazarus Pit shenanigans...).

I actually think it'd be more interesting if Harley formally took up the mantle, letting more of Harleen out to create a Joker that'd have both sanity and insanity on its side.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Narcissus1916 and anyone else who is having trouble with the Burnley West Sewer datapacks (like I was earlier)

You need to take the entrance here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Eh, the shock gloves never really feel necessary to me. I almost never bother with them. (probably a pretty different experience on hard though)

The only really new enemy type I can think of are the mini-Banes. Everyone else is basically from Arkham City. Lieutenants are basically still lieutenants, ninjas still ninjas. I guess you could consider the mini-lieutenants (that don't charge) and swordless ninjas as new, but they just seem like easier variants of those enemies to me. And they took out Titans.

Lieutenants? DO you mean enforcers the big guys they were not in City. We also got Martial Artists the guys that could counter our moves or required multiple counters from us to hurt Along with Venom thugs those 3 were totally new.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Behold, the Bat-slayer, the Bane-destroyer, the scourge of enemy elites...a fat guy in sweatpants with no shirt on.
P.S. Pump-action shotgun owns bones; one good meat-shot is all it takes to kill a hero, and the gun's spread is small enough to kill in 2-3 shots at mid-range.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lieutenants? DO you mean enforcers the big guys they were not in City. We also got Martial Artists the guys that could counter our moves or required multiple counters from us to hurt Along with Venom thugs those 3 were totally new.

Yeah I guess I mentally substituted the lieutenants in Arkham City as being the same as enforcers since both types are huge dudes that require your attention in any big encounter cause they just wreck through your invincibility frames. Lieutenants were the one armed guys with sickles or hammers on challenge maps, although there might have just been those two on story mode.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 30, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Seal it with a kiss , Thanks!

I really don't want to sit and bitch about how poorly designed that is (not marking the sewer entrances?! Come on!), but well... that's poor design.

To be fair, I do think the game is absolutely worth playing. The back half of the campaign is excellent - that stretch in the royal hotel might be my favorite "level" in the arkham series.

And although most reviewers panned it, I LOVE the case files mechanic. Even though its extremely basic, it actually had me piecing together crimes like Batman would.

As for the shock gloves, I do think they're overpowered. But I do like the mechanic. What if they allowed you to counter shield and baton enemies, but not directly attack them? That would still be one hell of a great weapon.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... what 'fake' prompts? The martial artist enemies basically have 2 gimmicks, the jump attack, with has a double prompt because you have to hit the button twice, and the chain counter, where you have to counter them like 3-5 times for it to actually hit them. Neither is false.

I phrased that horribly, I was referring to Shiva having fake counter prompts, you're right that the martial artists don't.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, quick one - The Challenge to do a Hanging Ledge, Gel, Corner and Vent Takedown in a single Predator room, where the hell can you do all of them? The Deadshot fight you can't, because there's no strong wall to do the Gel one with, but the only one with a strong wall I've found didn't have a suitable vent.

What I miss from the previous two that stinks of 'Collectible laziness'? The lack of the LB 'Perspective Riddles'. It was a great little mechanic, and it feels like they're only not in because it was easier & quicker to just slap down the breakable Riddler relays everywhere. They've taken a 'smart' collectible system that actually rewarded you thinking about it and put in a 'go to x location, press y button' system which is utterly mindless.

I've still enjoyed myself, but it feels in spite of the WB Montreal takeover, not because of it. Overall, I think Origins really lacks the polish that made me love the Rocksteady games, and I'm only liking Origins because so many of the core mechanics have been retained from the previous games, the only new addition I've enjoyed has been the crimescene reconstructions.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 30, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does the Unseen/ No Detective Vision challenge have to be done in an interior room? I've cleared so many rooftops without it popping for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

So, quick one - The Challenge to do a Hanging Ledge, Gel, Corner and Vent Takedown in a single Predator room, where the hell can you do all of them? The Deadshot fight you can't, because there's no strong wall to do the Gel one with, but the only one with a strong wall I've found didn't have a suitable vent.

What I miss from the previous two that stinks of 'Collectible laziness'? The lack of the LB 'Perspective Riddles'. It was a great little mechanic, and it feels like they're only not in because it was easier & quicker to just slap down the breakable Riddler relays everywhere. They've taken a 'smart' collectible system that actually rewarded you thinking about it and put in a 'go to x location, press y button' system which is utterly mindless.

I've still enjoyed myself, but it feels in spite of the WB Montreal takeover, not because of it. Overall, I think Origins really lacks the polish that made me love the Rocksteady games, and I'm only liking Origins because so many of the core mechanics have been retained from the previous games, the only new addition I've enjoyed has been the crimescene reconstructions.

The thread had mentioned the Bank Map a billion times, so I was able to do this pretty easy, here's how I did it:

Soonmot posted:

Here's what I did. As the thugs were talking I swooped down to the left stairwell to pull off the vent grate that led into a side room. Both Stariwells have these, but the right side (from starting position) gets you spotted. I ran into the room, tossed a sonic Batarang in front of the closed vent, ran back to the stairwell and hopped into the duct and waited until a guy came in to check the sound. The takedown button comes up and I burst through the intact grate to smash him up.

After that, I take out the guy with the Jammer backpack, because gently caress that noise.

Sonic Batarang is used again to set up an explosive takedown by one of the two stone walls, because it takes too long for the guys to walk that way by themselves.

Corner takedown can be done just by watching and positioning yourself.

Ledge takedown was done on the wire walkway around the center lobby area, I just gilded over, stayed standing and slowly positioned myself near the guy underneath me until the YELLOW TAKEDOWN BUTTON pops. You're not looking for the blue bat glide icon. This is the takedown where Bats swings off and chokes out a dude with his feet.

If you have already cleared the bank, I don't know if there's another predator room with vents and rock walls/floors/ceilings.

• Locked thread