Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still think the Lacey Towers investigation and Batman figuring out exactly what happened after getting access to the National Criminal Database is one of the best moments out of all three games, as is what happens at the end of the Royal Hotel sequence. They knocked those moments out of the park, but I wish they could have left the Joker at that and continued on the rest of the story without him.

One thing that does really stand out to me negatively in Origins is just how quickly things turn to poo poo. I can buy Joker taking control of a 5 star hotel or Blackgate prison in a single night, but the "redecoration" is just so sudden and overwhelming that it draws a lot of attention to the fact that the game is supposed to be taking place across a single night but these massive changes were made in the space of at most a couple of hours.

In Arkham Asylum, as you progress through the game you actually see thugs slowly building and putting together things to recreate the Asylum to the Joker's tastes as you progress through the game - guys painting and constructing displays etc. In Origins, you arrive in a place where the Joker has taken control and it's already massively overhauled and "decorated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Jerusalem posted:

I still think the Lacey Towers investigation and Batman figuring out exactly what happened after getting access to the National Criminal Database is one of the best moments out of all three games, as is what happens at the end of the Royal Hotel sequence. They knocked those moments out of the park, but I wish they could have left the Joker at that and continued on the rest of the story without him.

Totally agree, but one great thing we got from the revisit was the "one of us WILL die" condition of the Bane fight with Joker in the electric chair forcing Batman to fake Bane's death, although that idea could have still worked and gotten us back to Blackgate with Bane having orchestrated the second break-in instead of the inmates being Joker goons. And maybe throw in a mini-boss rush (or even just familiar faces like Anarchy and Deadshot) that get in your way as part of Bane's plan to tire out Batman before he gets to him. That would have been so cool.

Another part of that section I really liked was fighting side by side with Gordon. Even ignoring how cool it is as a literal representation of their character development during the game, its still just a loving badass moment.

Also "thats not funny" at first to "hehehehe that WAS pretty funny" had me laughing both times.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jerusalem posted:

One thing that does really stand out to me negatively in Origins is just how quickly things turn to poo poo. I can buy Joker taking control of a 5 star hotel or Blackgate prison in a single night, but the "redecoration" is just so sudden and overwhelming that it draws a lot of attention to the fact that the game is supposed to be taking place across a single night but these massive changes were made in the space of at most a couple of hours.

Yeah. The whole Joker's funhouse sequence got a :geno: out of me in that "uggghhh, we get it!" kind of way. The story really peaked for me after Joker's psych evaluation, and it was disappointing that we got more Joker and a copy-paste Bane fight from earlier in the game with more goons thrown in. I was really excited when WB Montreal kept hyping up the Mr. Freeze fight in pre-release interviews since that was (and remains to be) the best boss in the series. But it seems like most of the boss fights in AO are attrition-style fights where you repeat the same technique over and over to gradually wear down an enemy. The Mr. Freeze fight (particularly on NG+) basically forced you to pull out all the stops and use every gadget and takedown in your arsenal to win. AO never really got to that level.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone know why already unlocked fast travel icons are greyed out sometimes, so I can't fast travel?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone know why already unlocked fast travel icons are greyed out sometimes, so I can't fast travel?

I generally find this fixes itself once the game saves itself again, so if you beat up on some mooks, collect a data pack, or enter and exit a building they should be available again. WHY it happens I don't know.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Orgophlax posted:

Well I know if you're gliding/grappling or (I think) in battle it wont let you fast travel until you go stand somewhere.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Orgophlax posted:

Also make sure you're standing outside and would physically be able to grapple the plane.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Also, at certain points in the story you will be unable to fast travel. For instance, after leaving the GCPD for the first time and being told to head for the sewers, you will be unable to fast travel even though you are outside.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Orgophlax posted:

Aside from the reasons listed above, sometimes the game thinks you're fighting a guy (usually a thug who can't get to you noticing you) even when you're clearly not, disabling fast travel.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
When will we get a game made by the team that made Asylum and City? I dont think I would recommend Origins to anyone unless it was on sale.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Nthman posted:

When will we get a game made by the team that made Asylum and City? I dont think I would recommend Origins to anyone unless it was on sale.

Really? I thought it was a good game, just about equal to City, obviously it has it's fair share of problems. What's your major problem with it?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Nthman posted:

Well, I think Origins is a pretty great addition to the series and will be looked back on as my favorite when/if the glitches are fixed. As for Rocksteady's next game, no idea, but I bet it will be announced at the Spike VGAs in early December like City was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Origins is a really good game with some annoying bugs and some less than well implemented features like the challenge system (also a multiplayer that literally not a single person cares about). That it isn't as good as Asylum and City is hardly damning, since those two games are simply incredible.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I'd say Origins is a considerably better game than Asylum, which suffers from linearity, length and limited moves in comparison. But of course that's disregarding the innovative genius of Asylum to begin with, which took that first step for this wonderful series where combat more closely resembles the rhythm game they set out to make than your typical beat-em-up. And also disregarding the conservativeness of Origins which settled for mimicry--in fairness, this approach served them wonderfully and it would have served them even better to further mimic in the few areas of deviation.

I don't even weigh the bugs when considering the game anymore since most all have been patched out (at least that I've encountered on PC anyway). The only truly awful one was the saved game corruption. But at least that's another area they fully committed to being consistent with City and Asylum :cheeky:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just started playing this and the I have noticed that it seems harder than the previous two games. That, and the cast list is such a mixed bag of awesome and disappointing I don't even know how to feel. No Mark Hamil as Joker? Boo! Wait, Peter MacNicol as the Mad Hatter? Yay! No Manu Bennett as Deathstroke? Boo! CCH Pounder as Amanda Waller? Yay! Wait...no Kevin Conroy? Aw...I just...I can't even bring myself to boo, that's how big a downer that is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phylodox posted:

Just started playing this and the I have noticed that it seems harder than the previous two games. That, and the cast list is such a mixed bag of awesome and disappointing I don't even know how to feel. No Mark Hamil as Joker? Boo! Wait, Peter MacNicol as the Mad Hatter? Yay! No Manu Bennett as Deathstroke? Boo! CCH Pounder as Amanda Waller? Yay! Wait...no Kevin Conroy? Aw...I just...I can't even bring myself to boo, that's how big a downer that is.

Boo to you as well. Smith and Baker were great as Batman and the Joker in this game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Boo to you as well. Smith and Baker were great as Batman and the Joker in this game.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the jobs they did. I just don't think anyone could have followed up Conroy and Hamill. They defined those characters as far as I'm concerned. Obviously taste is subjective, just my opinion, yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure some people think West/Romero, Keaton/Nicholson, or Bale/Ledger are the apex of those characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, Hamil is my defining Joker but I have no complaints about Troy Baker's performance in this game. He absolutely killed it. Get to the scene after the hotel and I'm sure you'll agree.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, Hamil is my defining Joker but I have no complaints about Troy Baker's performance in this game. He absolutely killed it. Get to the scene after the hotel and I'm sure you'll agree.

I didn't even notice it was different so it seems he is doing a decent job.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Smith sounded like he was doing half Kevin Conroy and half Diedrich Bader. So...still Batmans.

And I'm still pumped at Peter MacNichol. That guy's voice always cracks me up.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
If it makes you (and NthMan) feel better, Conroy let slip that he was working on the "next game in the Arkham series" before everything was announced about Origins, so unless they had him in a studio recording lines that they never planned on including in a game, the next Arkham game (presumably from Rocksteady) will star Conroy as Batman.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK, another question: The one challenge I'm on is to do 20 critical strikes in a free flow combo. That's the "press attack at a constant beat" like the previous games, not the critical counters ability, right?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Orgophlax posted:

OK, another question: The one challenge I'm on is to do 20 critical strikes in a free flow combo. That's the "press attack at a constant beat" like the previous games, not the critical counters ability, right?

Yes, but make sure you actually have the skill unlocked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Orgophlax posted:

What Stroth said, but also be aware that the cue for the critical strike is later than before- essentially while Bats returns to an idle animation. I found a great way to guarantee crits, too- alternate between strikes and dodges and you get a crit every time. With this mechanism, getting the 20 hits is easy if you can find a moderately large batch of foes, as in many early-game crimes in progress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

What Stroth said, but also be aware that the cue for the critical strike is later than before- essentially while Bats returns to an idle animation. I found a great way to guarantee crits, too- alternate between strikes and dodges and you get a crit every time. With this mechanism, getting the 20 hits is easy if you can find a moderately large batch of foes, as in many early-game crimes in progress.

Also, if you just want to get it out of the way and can't quite get the timing right, you can look it up in the abilities menu and it gives you the option to switch on hints that will tell you EXACTLY when to hit the X button.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Managed to get to get a couple more levels in the challenge list, and either my game is bugged, because it's not counting ANY of the "rooftop" areas with guns as a predator encounter, or the people who CAN unlock the challenges on the rooftops have bugged copies.

From looking online I see lots of people saying they can and lots of others saying they can't...hard to tell which one is "right."

Whatever...I'm still very early in NG+, so I have plenty of time to get all of them that are left, especially since none of the remaining ones require near as intricate a room as the "4 unique takedowns" one. The closest is the next one I have, using 4 loud takedowns, and the only unique thing it needs is a floor grate...I'm pretty sure all of them have gargoyles/vantage points and ledges for the inverted and ledge takedowns.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Is it possible to complete multiple Dark Knight challenges in one area if they are done in sequential order? I'm specifically wondering if I do Worst Nightmare rank 10 and take down a dude with an exploding batarang, and use 5 different takedowns on everyone else would it count for both challenges 10 and 11 or just 10 and I have to do 11 in a different predator encounter?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

Is it possible to complete multiple Dark Knight challenges in one area if they are done in sequential order? I'm specifically wondering if I do Worst Nightmare rank 10 and take down a dude with an exploding batarang, and use 5 different takedowns on everyone else would it count for both challenges 10 and 11 or just 10 and I have to do 11 in a different predator encounter?

I've been able to do at least two in one predator encounter without any issue, so you should be fine so long as they don't in some way conflict with each other.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Generally, depends.

On that specific one, sure. The notification for the sonic batarang takedown happens as soon as you do it (opposed to the few that pop up at the end up the predator room like #11 would presumably), so yeah you could do that and then do the five different takedowns (or four then I suppose). But I'm pretty sure you don't even need to be in a predator room for batarang one, any of those armed goons always patrolling the roofs should work.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Generally, depends.

On that specific one, sure. The notification for the sonic batarang takedown happens as soon as you do it (opposed to the few that pop up at the end up the predator room like #11 would presumably), so yeah you could do that and then do the five different takedowns (or four then I suppose). But I'm pretty sure you don't even need to be in a predator room for batarang one, any of those armed goons always patrolling the roofs should work.

I only ask since I'm at Firefly at the bridge but don't remember if I get another crack at free roam before Finding Alfred and going to blackgate and since I'm playing on easy (makes it feel more like you are a superhero) there is no new game + if I can't get it done, and I already completed the other trees. I'll crack open my post game save on normal for NG+ and blow through the remaining ones if need be.

Is there a way to make the concussion grenade detonate faster without freeflow gadgets in combat or in predator sequences. I like it better as a concept than the tazer gun fron AC since it is more likely to be used as a weapon by Batman, but it just isn't nearly as useful despite being cool as gently caress.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Really? I thought it was a good game, just about equal to City, obviously it has it's fair share of problems. What's your major problem with it?

The camera is all sorts of screwy, the combat is off and also none of the boss fights WOWed me.

But my biggest complaint about this game? That goddamned bridge...some one is getting some sort of sick pleasure for designing that area.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nthman posted:

The camera is all sorts of screwy, the combat is off and also none of the boss fights WOWed me.

But my biggest complaint about this game? That goddamned bridge...some one is getting some sort of sick pleasure for designing that area.

Bridge is awesome. Just get some good height and glide to the side of it. Using dive bombs into lifts keeps your altitude well above the water. The only time Bridge sucks is if you try to go down the center.

Had some great multiplayer games tonight. Lots of hero wins, one was accomplished with only 8 total takedowns (the batman player had 7 of them)

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Luckily, the rest of the challenge list are ones that can be done in pretty much any encounter room, unlike that POS rank 6 that can ONLY be done in the bank, it seems.

You can do it in the final predator room at blackgate as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

robostac posted:

You can do it in the final predator room at blackgate as well.

Yeah, i guess the problem is the lack of Predator rooms in the story mode. IT's not so much of a problem if the rooftops consistently counted for completing the challenges.

I got it for one of the earlier challenges but not the beatdown one for example and as others have said, they're encountering the same issue.

It might be a bug, it might only apply to certain rooftops/areas that have the required number of badguys on them but the vagueness is what's ultimately bad about the design.

Basically, you should have been able to complete the challenges in the challenge room at the Batcave and complete them in any order you wanted.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished the game last night and man, this game really just ended up being what I thought it would be when it was announced. The game feels very much the same, but it changes things that either shouldn't have been changed or extremely minute changes. Why is the skill progression system so linear? Who benefits from that? Why are there so many snipers? They are the easiest thing to kill any desire to mess around in the open world. It feels so much slower getting around the city, probably because I have less points to grapple on to and the boss fights in the game for the most part are unspectacular (Deadshot) or just plain not fun (Every Bane fight). Deathstroke and Firefly were both great boss fights, the conclusive scene with the Joker was great, the story is good, and I love the Remote Claw, but this doesn't really save the game from just feeling, generic. Which is a shame, because both of the previous games did a great job of making you feel like Batman and this one just feels like they settled for "Hey, we can do gameplay almost as good as Rocksteady's." It's really disappointing because I started off really enjoying the game, but after Deathstroke, everything just sort of fell apart.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe they were just really dedicated to the prequel idea and decided to make the game a bit less polished than Asylum?

I could barely even play the Croc fight with how buggy it was. At one point the video just disappeared altogether. I thought that was, like, a gameplay feature, like you had to fight blindfolded, except that when I died and restarted it didn't do that again. Then Croc fell through the wall.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phylodox posted:

Most importantly, Robert Costanzo as Harvey Bullock. :3:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Most importantly, Robert Costanzo as Harvey Bullock. :3:

THEY BROUGHT BACK ANIMATED BULLOCK?!? Fuuuuuuuck. Steam sale hurry the gently caress up and happen.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
He doesn't have very many scenes, but it's great to hear his voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Sonic Batarang not working? I had it work once in a predator room where the guy just walked up to it and shot it, but every other time I've tried to use it to distract someone they just walk right by it like it doesn't even exist.

• Locked thread