Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Fuuuuuck.

I changed some graphics settings, and now the game crashes every time I open it in Steam.

It crashes at the main menu, so I can't even get in top change them back...is my only hope uninstalling and reinstalling? I get the following error:

Edit: Looks like there's an nVidia update I might need...downloading now, let's hope it fixes it.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm on the Shadow Vigilante challenge 12, Perform 20 Critical Strikes in one free flow combo.

When do I get this upgrade to unlock? I can't see it in the upgrade tree, so I assume it's one I either unlock from the Most Wanted screen, or one of the hidden ones in the regular tree?

I thought it was referring to the Critical Counter at first, but I guess they are two different things (Critical Counter is just hitting Counter (Y) at the exact perfect time, and Critical Strike is hitting X right after another move?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gently caress Grapple Boost Takedown.

I NEVER see a guy close enough to the edge to get this to work. I always just fly right over them. :mad:

Maybe if I wait until I unlock the Sonic Batarang I cal lure them closer to the edge?

Edit: V V V Early. Like...I haven't finished Lacey Towers. It's just that I've read so much bitching about not unlocking the challenges early enough and missing out that I want to get as big a head start as I can before going further into the story. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 29, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So if I'm reading this thread right, the only place I can do the "use 4 of the stupidest, hardest, least used, and usually impossible to do takedowns" challenge is the bank?

gently caress...already beat that, and I wanted to try and do it, but I was only on the "use a sonic batarang to get a takedown" challenge, so I finished that one and did then ext one, no detective vision. I tried about six or seven times to also do the four unique takedowns, but I couldn't get it.

So I basically have to wait until the Deadshot fight which also takes place there, but is harder?

Great...and does that leave enough time in the rest of the game to do the other predator challenges, or am I forcing myself to finish them in NG+ if I decide to give a drat?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 30, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think the most amazing thing I've learned from the Batman threads is that there are a significant number of you playing this on PC without a gamepad. :psyduck:

If you prefer it, or don't want to buy a Gamepad/360 controller, hey, that's fine, do what you want, I'm not saying one is better than the other...I'm just saying I can't imagine myself doing that (and I say this as someone who prefers KB+M for lots of games, just not a third-person beat 'em up.) Seems impossible!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

redbackground posted:

I managed to beat Asylum and City with KB/M, not gonna stop now!

edit: If I had a way to connect my upstairs computer to my biggie tv downstairs and hang back on my couch, I would definitely learn to adapt.

Something like a Slingbox and a wireless controller could work, right?

Or just a long HDMI cable...IIRC, you can easily get like 10-15' before you need to worry about some sort of signal repeater. If it's the room right above the TV, just start drilling holes and pray you don't hit a water pipe!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Doom as in Justice League Doom? If so it's a pretty decent watch.

I just watched it today, in fact (while playing AO,) and enjoyed it.

And the cartoon adaptation of the Death of Superman/The Four Supermen is actually pretty good, considering the amount of story that had to get cut and condenses, all things considered.

But it is pretty much 100% Superman...a tiny bit of other guys, but I don't think there's even a whisper of Batman.

Edit: Oh, looks like it's not on Netflix, though.

AO chat:

I've finished the main storyline, and still have two blank "Most Wanted." I know one is Deadpool, don't know who the other is...is it just like City where I just have to fly around and hope something triggers to start them?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 10, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

If only. :allears:

Ha, whoops, got my "total bad rear end assassins" with Dead in their names, and also their real name is Wilson, mixed up.

Scyantific posted:

Have you cleared out all of the crime scenes?

I don't know...the last one I did was the one who was a sort of friend of Bruce who murdered two actual friends of Bruce in the same place his parents were killed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Did you get a comm from Gordon after that? That should have been the last one needed.

Don't recall getting that, guess I have at least one more crime scene.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Finally got to the Deadshot most wanted, and I intended to use this encounter to get rank 6 of Worst Nightmare, but I'm hosed.

I can't get the explosive gel takedown to work. Because of the stupid proximity upgrade, the wall explodes when someone is barely within range, so all it does is knock them back, then they get up five seconds later. I know it's one of the "stronger"/brick walls that does result in a real knockdown, because I used the other wall right next to it in the first bank encounter for a knockdown and it worked. I tried putting it on one side and using a sonic batarang top lure them to the other side, but it still blows too early and just knocks them back a few feet.

gently caress you, developers. Now it seems I have to start over on NG+ to finish this track.

Which reminds me of a question:

I know that the challenge tracks start off where you left off in the first story when you start NG+, but then it does transfer back over? That is to say, I start NG+, get to a point where I can do rank 6, do it, can I then go back to my original story that's just doing side missions and finish off the Worst Nightmare track there, or am I doomed to HAVE to finish it in NG+?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 11, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jesus christ, gently caress this Deadshot encounter.

I can sort of reliably get the 4 exotic takedowns...hardest part is that the gel only takes down the guy maybe half the time, but I try for it first and just restart if it doesn't.

But the second/third portion when he takes the guy hostage? It always ends RIGHT AWAY and says I was seen even though I wasn't. Like...it's counting the fact that I was just bearing him up before he runs to the hostage as being seen...WTF?! So I have to NOT beat him up before then? How do I know when to stop? It's been five times now...and considering it resets my challenges, I have to keep trying for the 4 exotic takedowns every time so I've been stuck on this thing for over an hour. :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So...none of the "outdoor predator" places (Steelmill, GCPD) count as actual "predator encounters" for the challenge list, I take it? I'm on the "don't use any takedowns" and definitely only used cap stun+beatdown on both the cops at the GCPD and thugs at the steelmill, yet it didn't count it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They do. I got the 'don't be seen' one on two dudes standing on a rooftop and that particular one at the GCPD. It may (shock of shocks) be glitched

Well I've tried GCPD (twice,) steelmill (both the entrance and another rooftop), and the Final Offer twice, and I can't get the "no takedown" one to credit.

I'm done for tonight...maybe if I try tomorrow after quitting and restarting it will work, otherwise I'll say "gently caress it" and just do the Most Wanted and the few Enigma stuff to finish it out and go to NG+ to finish the challenges.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

It's quite possible they only count as predator encounters on their first go.

Nope, it seems bugged for me in some way...either the rank as a whole, or (hopefully) just not triggering on outdoor Predator encounters.

I started a NG+, and as soon as I could free roam I went to the GCPD and took them all down with cape stun+beatdown, and it didn't trigger. So I'll have to keep doing the story until I get a "real" predator encounter and see if it will work then.

Luckily, the rest of the challenge list are ones that can be done in pretty much any encounter room, unlike that POS rank 6 that can ONLY be done in the bank, it seems.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Managed to get to get a couple more levels in the challenge list, and either my game is bugged, because it's not counting ANY of the "rooftop" areas with guns as a predator encounter, or the people who CAN unlock the challenges on the rooftops have bugged copies.

From looking online I see lots of people saying they can and lots of others saying they can't...hard to tell which one is "right."

Whatever...I'm still very early in NG+, so I have plenty of time to get all of them that are left, especially since none of the remaining ones require near as intricate a room as the "4 unique takedowns" one. The closest is the next one I have, using 4 loud takedowns, and the only unique thing it needs is a floor grate...I'm pretty sure all of them have gargoyles/vantage points and ledges for the inverted and ledge takedowns.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Try Black Mask's side mission at the church. (after blowing up the all six tanks) I"m not sure if that will count but when I got to the last predator challenges I use that room for the five take downs and it worked.

Nope, doesn't count.

It has the wrong kind of destructible walls. It has the "get a takedown by standing on one side, and the goon being on the other side" type, not the "put explosive gel on it and when an enemy is near, blow it up and they get knocked out" type.

Also, if you're not using the Red Son skin, then I don't want to know you. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of the propane tanks, are there any just lying out in the open, or do I have to keep plugging away at the NG+ story to find one in a room?

Edit: Also, it's really annoying that whenever you exit and start again, you go back to the default costume. If I'm in the middle of a mission, I can 't go back to the Batcave to change it back to the Red Son costume...not cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hey, I just found out that if you hit RB with the Batclaw instead of RT, it does a sort of "chase cam" for it. Never knew that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

With the Sonic Batarang, it only counts if you do the takedown (drop behind them and do a silent takedown is best in my experience) in the window between them commenting on the batarang once they find it and then destroying it.

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

Currently, I'm stuck at the propane challenge one.

For the life of me, I can't get the goons to stay clumped together enough for it to work. I can lure three of them to one spot easy enough (I typically use a sonic to lure a fourth guy, then do a loud take-down on him to get the remaining three to run to that spot.)

But then getting two of the guys to be on the floor always ends up either spreading them too far from each other, or too far from the third guy who the tank hits. best I've gotten is 2/3.

What's the best way to get the two to go down, but not be knocked out, and stay put? I typically throw a couple bataransg at them, but that always sends them flying too far. I can't figure out a surefire way to make them on the ground. I read a thing that said use the remote claw to smash them together, but I can't get that to work. The remote claw ALWAYS defaults to wanting to smash one guy into the nearby propane tank...I can never get it to want to smash the guys together.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of bugs, I managed to find one that was CRAZY repeatable for me.

In the Bank predator room (in the story...for me, I only noticed it during the Deadshot version, not sure if it's there the first time through.)

I was doing a "reverse ledge" takedown, or whatever it's called. The goon was right below the ledge you can do it on in the room (the two ledges that are on the left and right from the front when you first enter, below the walkway.)

If the goon was right at the corner and I did the takedown, I'd go into "fall through the floor/world forever" bug. Thankfully, restarting the encounter fixed it...but I was able to repeat it at least four times on the ledges on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I knocked a guy into a pit of toxic sludge in the sewers. He didn't even pop up as a skeleton in detective mode, I think he melted :(

During Firefly's mission, I knocked a thug into the electrified fence and he just stood there, forever getting electrocuted. Even after I turned off the power.

• Locked thread