Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The story really should not be a factor considering these games have never done anything special with that. The new parts of Arkham City could be good though, I don't care about it before it was ruined, but adding on to it could be interesting. Hopefully it's just more than one small area with one thing to do.

For you maybe. As a pretty casual Batman fan I personally get a kick out of the stories, and especially all the unlockable stuff for the various characters throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God dammit, going to get the Season Pass because I love having lots of outfit options in my superhero games. Why did I read comics in the 90s???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm getting a little anxious that I can't purchase the Season Pass on Steam yet. I need all the Batmen and I want you to take my money, WB. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terminally Bored posted:

Not sure if this was posted but here's an AMA with two Arkham Origins single-player devs: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1olm9z/we_are_eric_holmes_and_ben_mattes_game_devs_of/

Speaking of difficult achievements:

That achievement owns and I plan on going for it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ThermoPhysical posted:

I uh...Batman? :confused:

We are talking about Arkham City..right?

I know this is a sub-forum called 'Games' and not 'Jokes' but sometimes people do make them here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bard Maddox posted:

Make it be Friday already :mad:

Is this a worldwide release on Friday? In other words if I use an Aussie VPN, can I unlock on Thursday?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeku posted:

Just a heads up, on steam it's showing as an October 26th release (Australia) so it may not be the earliest option if you're looking to play ASAP (could be a mistake though? not sure).

Aww drat. Looks like the potential earliest unlock will be my (US Pacific) time zone anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seal it with a kiss posted:

The multiplayer customization is actually kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IB0E6a49g

Huh. Disappointing that the only Batman skins are the ones from Arkham City and the default Arkham Origins one. The new Robin is kickass though and I like it a lot better than Arkham City Robin.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yaos posted:

If you're talking about this one: http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/ it has some wrong information in it. Batman can run in the batcave, and then it goes into a rant about the video game industry.

Ha ha, first he claims that Warner Bros. "pulled the franchise away from Rocksteady" and then says the game should have been called "Batman: Gotham City - The Early Years." I mean, I'm expecting this game to get 7s and 8s on the review circuit regardless but this guy doesn't even sound competent.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's an awful lack of Batman Beyond in that video.

Good, because that costume looked awful on brick shithouse Bruce Wayne in Arkham City. :colbert:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

I hear this every time I listen to "The Future" from the 89 Batman soundtrack.

It's still my favorite Batman movie, thanks to the amazing soundtrack and Michael Keaton at the top of his game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^I think the stars just aligned with Batman '89, so you ended up with a perfect blend of the camp from the 60s show, and the dark as gently caress nature of what Batman represents. I don't think it's a movie that could be made in today's Hollywood. I loved the Nolan movies, personally, but the ultra-gritty realistic take on Batman is a little limited for my tastes.^

Neo Rasa posted:

Whenever a new Batman movie is announced there's always a rumor/fan wish that Keaton returns playing a villain. The guy's like 54 now, they should have him play Old Bruce in a Beyond movie now that Clint Eastwood is too senile and Michael Ironside is a pacifist.

Tom Wilkinson's character asks this in Begins also during the drug bust scene.

I don't even think you'd need to do a Beyond movie. I'd rather have a Dark Knight Returns story with him reprising the role, honestly. Not that that will ever happen in a million years.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 23, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

I agree. It somehow loving works. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is the Art Museum with Partyman blaring in the background.

Ha, yeah, I think that is actually my favorite scene. Jack Nicholson just killed it and Partyman was just so so perfect. I wish 1989 Tim Burton still existed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShineDog posted:

Been watching the first levels on YouTube, and it looks Perry dam solid. Not sure how I feel about major cutescenes being obvious cgi though. That happened in city but it just used game assets and largely normal looking lighting. This looks really different.

As long as it looks better and not like most games these days where the cutscene comes in and looks worse than the game I'm playing because it's badly compressed 720p or some poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BreakAtmo posted:

Maybe they do look good, and that's where a lot of the 16.2GB comes from? How large was City on PC, anyway?

19 gigabats. Though that's the GOTY version so depending on the Origins DLC that comes out it could easily top 20. I don't know how big vanilla AC was.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^What kind of video card do you have? I have in i5-2400 and a Nvidia GTX760, and pretty much everything is smooth sailing. So based on that I would guess it's more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive.^

Terminally Bored posted:

One thing I don't like is the ability unlock system. You can't choose from any option now, you have to for example unlock two armor upgrades before you get the blade dodge takedown. It's frustrating because I'm just dodging the knife guys now, not able to smash their face in with proper timing.

So far this is my only real complaint. I'm enjoying the story and gameplay much more than the first two games, and I like the aesthetics much better, beyond just the fact that it looks nicer. I like that you're in a real Gotham, even if there are no bystanders about. The glide grapple does seem a little janky, at least for grapple boosting, but otherwise it's been pretty perfect gameplay-wise.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 24, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Do you have a Nvidia card by any chance? The most recent driver updates changed mine to default to 'on,' so I had to go in and change the setting using the Nvidia control panel. It was not isolated to Batman, I noticed it when I booted up Tomb Raider.^

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm about three hours into it, and there really haven't been any major changes at all. More like re-organizing and re-skinning existing aspects.

As far as re-skinning, I really dig the clearly Nolan-inspired batsuit. I think it's the best looking Batman yet in all three games, and I'm looking forward to New Game + dress-up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is really good. Like, really really good. I kept my expectations low because of the developer changeup, but they really stepped it up a notch. I love the new upgrade system, especially with the rewards for the Dark Knight challenges, and Deathstroke is super fun to use in challenge mode. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but it doesn't have to, and it's definitely got way more atmosphere than City did.

I just finished the first Deathstroke fight, and you really get the sense that Batman is more than a bit out of his depth at the moment. You beat him, but only barely, and it's toe-to-toe the whole time.

That fight was amazing. It made me think of the Jack Krauser/Leon fight from RE:4 only with actual player input. Some of the stuff repeated but it was still completely badass.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elenkis posted:

No. I thought Arkham Asylum was about the best thing to ever happen to Croc. RS managed to make him threatening and scary, but in this game he's pretty much back to being a low rate jobber with much less imposing physique.

I mean, it kind of makes sense, since the idea is that Croc is getting more feral as time goes on, and this is a prequel. But I'll agree that it's still a little disappointing, because as cheesy as the AA boss fight was, it was still scary as gently caress the first time I played it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terminally Bored posted:

Really, Arkham is one of the few games I don't mind being franchised into infinity. Heard people comparing Origins to milking AssCred but it isn't really fair because that one was and still is really shallow gameplay-wise.

As it turns out, being Batman is really loving fun and I would pretty much be there every year if they CoD the gently caress out of this franchise. I know that makes me a part of the problem but I don't care.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People always say this kind of thing, but would you really prefer the same game over and over again to them doing new and interesting things? I'm not talking about huge revamps, but something like Asylum to City. I have to imagine that eventually you'd run into fatigue with the formula and even if they keep the same level of quality, you'd get progressively less enjoyment out of each installment. It's already starting with Origin for me.

I'd honestly be pretty happy either way. I'm glad that the b-studio they handed this game off to didn't seem to majorly gently caress up the formula, but I'm also super-interested to see what Rocksteady comes out with next, which could very well be something totally different. My biggest concerns when it comes to this particular series are getting the combat right and crafting an interesting story that uses decades of comics as a barebones guidebook. The gameplay in Origins may play it pretty safe, but this story is already way more entertaining than City for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I am terrible at videogames and would like help.

The Deathstroke boss fight: What's the trick to beating him? Am I just supposed to keep countering him, or is there a sequence of moves I'm supposed to be puzzling out? I'm not having a lot of fun just circling him and countering and trying to hit him and getting pushed back and etc etc etc

If the explanation is THE BAT IS OUT OF HIS ELEMENT AND IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THIS IS A HARD BOSS FIGHT then that's loving stupid and not fun.

It's kind of give and take but it's not that hard, really, if you just get into the flow and counter when applicable. I found that it was easier to get hits in on him when I did the double a evade move to jump over him and then hit him from behind.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where the gently caress do you go after the Deathstroke fight? I beat him but have no idea what to do next.

I already used the remote claw to get up to the door which turned out to be locked.

Go through the door with the big flashing exit sign.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, I was totally having fun with this game but now the reviews are coming in and I can't believe that I was playing a completely identical Arkham City clone this whole time. gently caress this poo poo game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It also looks like he comes with two extra costumes, which is great news for Barbie dress-up costume hoarders like myself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, about the first Electrocutioner fight. I immediately did a cape stun and punched him once and it was over in under 10 seconds. Did I glitch something, or was it supposed to take you a while to figure that out?

Man, I wish I had remembered the cape stun. I was stuck on that fight forever. :smith:

e: Spoilered for courtesy. :)

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VogeGandire posted:

I'd say, bar a few niggles, it's on a par with City. The story is also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Yeah, I like that the tone seems shifted to somewhere between TAS and Batman '89, with at least a few nods toward Nolan's Batman as well. It feels like a universe drawing from even richer sources. And I know this makes me a blasphemer, but I think I prefer the young Batman voice.

I just jumped into MP for the first time and it seems pretty fun. I hope it has an active community because asymmetric multiplayer is fun as hell, though right now it feels pretty difficult as a hero. Of course, it could be that I just suck at being Batman.

Oh, and AO now has :siren:TRADING CARDS:siren: on Steam! They're not showing on the badge page yet but I just got a Copperhead drop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Medium Cool posted:

I only had the injustice skin. Did you preorder on PC or console? I'm playing on steam.

I preordered on Steam with a Nvidia code and have both outfits. Have you played as Deathstroke on a challenge map yet? I don't know if there were any conditions for unlocking it, but I had already played for awhile when I noticed I had the Judas Deathstroke.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rookersh posted:

Because it's funny as hell, and some of us, unlike Veotax want that to remain a secret for people so when they hit it they can have a good laugh?

I can't believe some people were too stupid to play along.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Nope. I've been playing a ton of AA and AC in preparation for Origins and it doesn't happen.^

ethanol posted:

Two things I've notived... there don't seem to be any double counter attacks and unless I mixed this up with another game, enemies used to jump back and cringe on brutal takedowns but they don't anymore?

You're mixing Arkham up with Sleeping Dogs (though you still get invincibility frames for takedowns) and yes, there are double counters in this game. Haven't seen any triple counters yet though.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 26, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Red Mundus posted:

God almighty please, fix the camera in combat so I can actually see behind me. Keep the tower bug and random CTDs but I really hope this gets fixed first, it's basically killing the game for me.

Also I still can't counter martial artists so I'm just chalking this up to a bug. One more to add to the pile.

With the martial artists, there's an attack where there are two distinct spidey sense lines rather than the usual one. You have to hit counter twice to counter them. Yeah, it's hard to see. No, it's not actually explained anywhere in the game. I had to figure it out my drat self.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

flamingdawg posted:

Gonna wait till this is on sale for five pounds.

e: ie, xmas

Whew, thanks for keeping us posted.

Somebody mentioned the Shiva encounter earlier. If I'm already past the bank encounter with Joker, is there still a way to trigger it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slayer1597 posted:

so I haven't tried it yet, but what is the deal with multiplayer? Do you get to Batman?

My very first game dropped me in as Batman and it was pretty fun. It's pretty satisfying to get takedowns on mooks that are being controlled by actual people, though if the team is smart enough to stick together it's pretty difficult. Playing as a henchman is nothing special, but it was pretty satisfying to kill Batman, Robin, and the Joker in the second game I played as a Bane henchman. Also the customization options are pretty deep, and give you a decent amount of cosmetic variety even before you start unlocking things.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doflamingo posted:

I'm stuck on the Mad Hatter sidequest due to a game-breaking bug where I'm supposed to be standing on this big plate and then pull myself towards a giant spoon using my Batclaw, except the plate won't budge and reloading the checkpoint a gazillion times isn't fixing it. Game was real fun up to now, though! :(

Try restarting the game entirely, I was stuck there until I did that. And be real careful getting on that thing because if you dive into the water and have to restart it'll probably gently caress up again. Physics!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuzz posted:

But the medals do pop up in the corner as you complete them, and again, I'm not talking about challenge rooms.

Think I'm going to shelve this until the bugs are patched out, because now I'm just soured on the whole thing even though the story so far has been awesome. :smith:

Every encounter in the game is graded. Some of the Dark Knight challenges will not pop until you finish off all the guys you're engaging and get graded. Not a challenge room thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, and? What, are you thinking I'm swooping down there, beating down some heavy guy, then going, "Nope!" and ziplining away before beating the everliving poo poo out of every other guy?

I really don't get what point you're trying to make with this comment unless you're explaining some esoteric game mechanic to a person that has never played this game before.

From the lack of responses, looks like I'm the only one having issues with this one. I bet my game is bugged. :sigh:

Edit: had my posters mixed up, apologies for tone!

Sorry, I was just trying to clarify (what I think) the other guy was trying to say. I got frustrated a few times by challenges I didn't think registered until I took out some random mook, and the number stuff had a chance to go. As to that particular challenge, I have it completed so you can at least know that if it's bugged, it's on your end and not a big affecting everyone. Not sure if that makes you feel better or worse but there it is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Huh. All of a sudden I have the Blackest Night costume unlocked, which is supposedly a reward for prestiging in multiplayer. I have played exactly two games in MP and my progress was reset. :psyduck:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Darke GBF posted:

But nobody really asked for that, and this game has so much lifted wholesale from AC that it feels like a wasted effort anyway.

Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it true. They changed stuff, they kept stuff, it's a sequel. It's certainly more interesting than anything that changes in CoD sequels and it's not any more derivative than say, the God of War sequels, which everyone seemed to lap up eagerly. And despite a number of technical issues, it's got by far the best story and to me is clearly the best Arkham game yet. I can understand a lot of criticism, but for people who wanted something more 'different' what exactly were you looking for? A text adventure? An indie platformer?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE CHORSE posted:

I like this game, I really do, but the Dark Knight progression/unlock system tied to completing challenges could have used a little more thought. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't that many actual predator challenges and they are all tied to the story, so there are limited opportunities to actually complete the predator tree. Combined with challenges like completing predator encounters with no detective vision (and without being seen), performing four exotic or loud takedowns in one encounter, or getting something like seven different types of takedown in a single encounter, it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of the actual story progression. I feel like I have to approach every predator challenge in the specific way that the game wants me to or I won't have enough opportunities to round out the tree. I have no idea why they would make it impossible to complete the challenges in challenge rooms, and it sounds like the predator rooms don't repopulate like they did in Arkham City, so the predator Dark Knight track is just a pain in the rear end.

The lovely thing about the four exotic takedowns challenge is that it's not even possible in all predator encounters. So uhh, good luck with that, hope you remember to do it before the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

This game is pretty faithful to the source material, thats pretty much the reason why.

Well okay, but if you actually start paying attention to how many dead bodies are littering the ground in all the Arkham games, you do kind of start wondering what the point of Batman is. He doesn't seem very adept at actually saving anyone. I mean, Gotham seems like a dangerous place to live with or without him. At least in the movies, comics, etc. you don't have video game body counts making everything look ridiculous.

• Locked thread