Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

So I like this game so far (I thought the Deathstroke fight was amazing- it was hard, but it made it clear what you had to do to win, so I didn't think it was unfair). However, I am really annoyed that (on PS3) they switched the trigger buttons for some functions. Like, it used to be L2 was activate Detective Mode and L1 was throw Batarang, but now it's reversed. I know it seems trivial, but I've built up a lot of muscle memory and I don't see any reason for the change, especially if you're not able to remap the buttons. There have been a number of times when I'm perched in a stealth mission and try to scan the area but accidentally throw a Batarang, giving away my position. So, that's a bit of a rage, mainly because it's such a meaningless change that is totally unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So is there anything to do in the Bat Cave? All I see is Alfred and training maps which you can get from the main menu. Is there anything else there? And where are the flight challenges?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Communist Pie posted:

I do that, but I can be standing 5 feet behind a guy, throw/drop smoke, and... nothing. No combination of buttons that would ordinarily result in a takedown does anything.

I've had the same problem. There should be a "takedown" command, but it doesn't show up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I would go as far as to theorize that that is Rocksteady's next game, instead of another Arkham.

I expect there to be a sequel game where Batman investigates a bunch of exciting new villains only to find out the Joker planned the whole thing from beyond the grave, Saw style.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Anyone else annoyed by the "auto-detonation" on the explosive gel? I mean, I'd like it sometimes, but once you activate it you can never turn it off. I remember spraying a couple walls in the Deadshot fight and waiting for him to walk by so I could trigger it, but every time one of his goons set it off instead.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Skoll posted:

Pretty broken.

However, if I remember correctly; Arkham City was near unplayable on release.

Can't speak to you PC gamers, but I got City on day one and never had any trouble. Origins, on the other hand, I had to stop for two weeks when Batman started falling through building into infinite nothingness.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I thought that the game should have went deeper with the character. Gordon makes a awesome statement midway through the game about how even though Batman doesn't kill, he still turns in people with broken bones, etc.

But in the end it is just a video game because the beating he gives the Joker at the end would easily kill most people.

Am I the only one who didn't want to beat up Joker in the end? I felt sorry for him, kind of, and he was completely trapped, so I just wanted to leave and let the police take him, but the game forced me to give a beatdown. I guess I take the "no kill" policy a little further, and would prefer to do the minimum amount of violence necessary to stop the villains.

Of course, the only reason not killing enemies is a debate is because they always get out eventually and kill more, and the only reason that happens is because popular villains sell comics. In real life, someone like the Joker would be locked up in a supermax prison and would never see freedom again.

The other question is, Batman doesn't kill villains, but does he have to save them? Origins and most other media clearly say yes. Nolan's movies were inconsistent, where he left Ra's to die on the train but saved the Joker from falling to his death. Batman could get in trouble or be tempted by killing villains, but when one villain kills another, does he really have to risk his life to save them?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Could somebody either tell me or link me a walkthrough that shows how to get to the evidence room in the GCPD? I've just reached the server room and it wants me to go back and get the disruptor

If you're where I think you are, just try opening the door on the left. The annoying thing is that door is locked until Batman says he needs it, and then it's magically unlocked.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

A similar problem occurs for one of the Riddler rooms. You're supposed to use the glue grenade to make a raft to get to the door, but I found it before I had the grenade and was able to get there by diving and pulling up to skim along the water. The door is locked. When you go back later with the grenade, the door is unlocked. It's pointless, though, because you still need the glue grenade once you get in, so they could have let me in and then I still would have had to turn back. Instead, I spent a good ten minutes or so looking for an unlocked door.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The only place where the icons really make a difference for me is the ninjas, because sometimes you can block and sometimes you have to blade dodge, so I just jump around a lot. That, and the Deathstroke fight/ martial artists, where it took me a while to realize you wait for it to go slow-motion before countering.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

There is kinda more in the Barbara Gordon side-mission where you go around destroying the locks on the weapons shipments I guess, but otherwise nope - that character doesn't make an appearance again for the rest of the game.

I kind of suspect that the creators really liked the guy who played the Penguin and wanted to get him back, even though there wasn't much point. I just don't accept Batman gave up chasing him because he locked the door. I suppose you could argue he had bigger problems, but I'd think he would follow up in the post-game.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, yeah, I know he shows up at the beginning, but he only shows up at the beginning. He has no real presence in the game is what I mean.

Also, one of the riddles in AC is to find where Black Mask tunneled out of Arkham- apparently he was the only one to escape. And he's the boss in a couple DLC maps that came with the Nightwing pack. Still not much more than cameos.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I agree. At this point it's like "Yeah, okay, I get it. His parents are dead."

Batman Forever gets a lot of grief, but I always liked that they actually had Bruce deal with his grief over his parents and get over it. It's like, it's still part of his psyche, but it doesn't have to be at the front of his mind in every single fight.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I don't care for Batman Returns but anyone who doesn't think Batman '89 is a national treasure is a loving loon.

Interesting Set Design with The Joker! (and also Batman)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've never really heard anyone hype Croc's fight. It was scary seeing him pop up the first five or so times, but after that it became monotonous.

I think he means it was hyped in-game. You here all through the game about how terrifying he is, and when you get there it's basically "walk slowly." Then again, there weren't really any good boss fights in AA except Poison Ivy, and even that was basically just copied from Spanish Napoleon in Resident Evil 4. The Joker fight was so disappointing- he injects himself with serum and turns into a giant monster, and then just stands around while you fight the same mooks again and again. City was so much better- Mr. Freeze was seriously one of the best boss fights of all time, because of the way you combine everything you've learned throughout the game.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Good luck. Even with maps and video walkthroughs I still can't find that loving balloon. I'm starting to think it's bugged or something.

I don't know, I had no trouble using this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcQpMlzhElk. Without a guide, though, it's bullshit.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

So, just finished this. It was ok, but for some reason it didn't really grab me like the other two did. Probably won't bother going through it again, just want to finish up the Riddler (sorry, Enigma :shh:) and do The Dark Knight thing.

However, I'm finding that incredibly difficult, because I keep doing what it asks (I eventually figured out it wanted them in order, which is a really arse-backwards way of doing things) but it doesn't seem to register very often. I've done 'counter while doing a beatdown' pretty much every single fight, and it still won't let me have it. I did the exotic takedowns one in Blackgate just before the Bane fight, and nada. Is this a common issue?

Very common. You can find some online guides on how to pull it off, but a lot of them only have one or two rooms where they work. Fortunately, in New Game + it remembers how many you did in the regular game, so you don't have to start over.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Pretty much all of his enemies are. That's what makes his rogues gallery so great.

You also have Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Simon Hurt.

And then you have ones who aren't really but still meant to be dark mirrors of aspects of him like Two-Face losing perspective as an arbitrator of justice, or Penguin now being the corrupt aristocrat, and Mr Freeze going to extremes in grief in the pursuit of family.

Scarecrow, also. Batman uses fear as a weapon to protect the innocent, while Scarecrow uses fear to prey on them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I still like the conversation you get when you go to the church at the very beginning of the game in Arkham City. You are supposed to grapple up after dropping a smoke, but if you wait a while, the goons start having a debate about what to do before they finally eventually shoot you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPe7wmaCBo

I'd always wait for the exact moment he says something like "what do you think he'll do, drop a smoke bomb and escape?" and then do just that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Have these been shared yet?

They made Harley look tough and didn't dress her in ridiculously revealing clothing? Hallelujah!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Concussion Grenades are pretty garbage for the most part from what I can tell. This just seems to be another detriment to them.

They were also not explained well. Alfred suggests you use them so that you won't have to beat up the cops quite as badly, but all they do is stun; you still have to beat them up. So I spent a lot of time trying to stun them into submission with the grenades until I realized that wouldn't work.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I've said this before, but the absolute best moment for DiMaggio was when he played a thug mimicking the Joker and Harley. It was certainly a reference to him playing the Joker in Under the Red Hood, although he sounded very different when he was imitating Mark Hamill as opposed to doing his own spin.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The New-52 did a good job of mucking up a few of the better ones. I know Amanda Weller became a standard comic-book supermodel.

Batwoman maybe? I dunno.

The main writers for Batwoman, an open lesbian, quit in protest of DC's refusal to let her get married on-page.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

JetGrind posted:

So, having never played the game before, I finally played through most of Arkham Asylum because just kinda quitting on the fight with the two titans in front of Joker's throne of dolls and deciding to go watch the last few cutscenes online. I'm still excited to go start up City for the first time though, since Asylum was so much fun for pretty much everything except the boss fights. Was there ever any statement about the boss fights in Asylum being rushed or anything? They all feel like they were except for maybe the Ivy fight.

Hmm, aside from Poison Ivy, I don't remember any actual boss fights, just a bunch of places where villains would shout "hit him harder!" while goons mobbed you. And no one else seems to notice, but the Poison Ivy fight was stolen from the fight with Spanish Napoleon in Resident Evil 4. I guess the Titans were kind of bosses. The Joker-Titan was such a waste, though, as you didn't even fight him.

But, yes, the boss fights are VASTLY improved in City. They get around the problem of characters like the Penguin not being a match for Batman by having them have strong but bland villains on their payroll. Origins had some pretty good ones, too, though to me they aren't quite as memorable.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

So I FINALLY got a 12X variation combo (i completely forgot you needed to batclaw slam a dude for a long time there), and now all I have left to do is the campaigns... which I'm sort of terrified of. I found the Extreme Predator maps to be a nightmare with unlimited tries and no special conditions, I can't imagine what they'll be like now. Does Arkham City keep track of how many medals you've gotten cumulatively, like if I got 7 medals, and then went through and got the 2 I was missing while still missing some, do I get 9 total? Or do I have to get all 9 in one go?

You have to get all nine in one go. Yeah, it's rough, but that's why it's a challenge.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think the ending qualifies as sad, aside from Talia dying and possibly coming back crazier than ever. And even then, she's always been pretty crazy, if I'm not mistaken, so this will likely lead to Bruce finding a better relationship with Selina. Joker dying, despite meaning that we'll never hear Mark Hamill in the role again more than likely (unless he decides to do another Robot Chicken scene or something), is a pretty great thing!

What got me was Batman's "you want to hear something funny?" It's like he knew the Joker was a psychotic monster who deserved to die, but he wanted to give him one last laugh before he went. It really showed how they understood each other in a weird way. He'd better not be back in Arkham Knight, though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, just pounding on some mook in the corner and irritably batting (no pun intended) away the other thugs as they rush up to try and get you is the best.

Yes, that's a ton of fun. It's also a great way to build up your combo quickly.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh poo poo, better write a huge article on why calling someone a bitch is wrong in a fictional setting where the main focus is a man who dresses up as a bat to fight criminals.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

City was probably the best of the games overall. Asylum was very good for its time but feels clunky compared to City, and the boss fights were poo poo (why would the Joker inject himself with Titan and then not even bother to fight you directly?). Origins had the best story when viewed independently, but by the third game I was sick of the Joker always being the Big Bad when we're promised something else. Also, on the PS3 version, they pointlessly switched the shoulder buttons, meaning I kept turning on Detective Mode when I was trying to throw batarangs. Stupid muscle memory.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I think I'm the only person who loved the Joker 'fight' in Origins. I think Beatdowns might be a very specific fetish I have.

Maybe this is weird, but when I got to the end I actually didn't want to fight him. He just seemed so sad and pathetic throughout the story. His backstory was largely taken from The Killing Joke, and that story ends with Batman admitting he's tired of fighting and wants to help him. And he was already decisively beaten, so I just stood there watching and waiting for him to get taken away. But he just dances in place and taunts you until you beat him down, so eventually I was forced to.

quote:

"SOLOMON GRUNDY IS UNDER THE ICEBERG LOUNGE AND PENGUIN FEEDS HIM PEOPLE".

The dialogue, from what I remember, referenced Penguin having a "monster" which he feeds people to. I assumed they were referring to the shark.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 16, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

As best as I can recall, because I'm not replaying the game just to get to this point, the dialogue goes something like this:

"That's it, that's the thing that Penguin's got locked up in the basement!" [you hear this line play out halfway down the hall and you can't rush forward in time to interrupt it and punch them to death so literally nobody can miss this line, and they are standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF A SOLOMON GRUNDY POSTER which you are facing as you come around the corner and is also the answer to a riddle so honestly if you didn't notice this poster then I don't know what to tell you]

"What? It can't be, this thing's gotta be a hundred years old!"

"So-lo-mon Grun-dy [thug draws it out slowly as if he is a bad reader, or else he thinks his friend is], that's what you can hear coming from the basement! 'Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday'"

"Huh, maybe it is."

Hmm, when you put it that way, it does seem kind of obvious. Though there are a lot of references to villains who don't actually appear, but yeah, you have a point. I think maybe I didn't realize I'd end up fighting him because I didn't know anything about Grundy, aside from that Cartoon Network promo where he wishes he had pants.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Seven "lol" posts in a row? You're really itching for a probation, huh?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I had some trouble with Deathstroke at first, and it was even worse when I played on New Game + because there were no counter icons. Once I realized you just waited for slow mo it was pretty easy, but I still love the grace and timing of it. I do think it's odd that he's basically a boss version of the martial artists yet you fight him before you meet any martial artists. It seemed like it should have been the culmination, not the tutorial version.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Please shut up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I liked Cold, Cold Heart for what it was, but it's not particularly innovative, I'll admit.

The soundtrack is great, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7306oWRxE

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially liked all the "Bruce Wayne" stuff you did at the beginning, because it forced you to be clever and not rely on gadgets, and it made it that much more satisfying when you suited up. The story was basically just copied from TAS, but that was such a good story that I'm not complaining. I was a little annoyed that the two predator maps were just recolors of the Museum and Freeze's Lab from AC.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was hoping that they'd picked Black Mask because they had an interesting idea for something to do with him (as happened with Calendar Man, Clock King and Mister Freeze at various points in the franchise).

Where was Clock King? I don't remember him in the games, unless maybe it was in a riddle solution.

Edit: Yes, Strange giving up blackmailing Batman was a let down, but at least he still did a lot. It's nothing compared to the shafting Two Face got. He's one of my favorites, and the promos made it sound like he was a big deal, but he was really more Catwoman's foe. Batman only saw him once, and aside from randomly running into his goons he had no impact on the game.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 22, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I hope Arkham Knight brings up Condiment King at some point.

While I relish the thought, I'm not sure he'd cut the mustard in this series. Batman is now well established, so it'd be hard for a new guy to catch up. Let us hope they can find some new layers by peeling back the onion of his character. Mayonnaise.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

If you legitimately don't know, Alberto Falcone is the Holiday Killer. NOT Calender Man. A different holiday-based villain. Him becoming the Holiday Killer is the nail in the coffin for the mafia era of crime in Gotham City, meant to show that even the most powerful crime families are giving way to eccentric supervillains.

We really needed two of those. Thanks to Arkham Asylum's riddles, I now know there are two twin brothers who are Batman villains named Humpty and Dumpty. How sad must it be to be the third most popular Lewis Carroll inspired Batman villain?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Read the Long Halloween. Very much a different type of villain from Calendar Man (Who they consult like Hannibal Lecter). Also, I think you mean Tweedledee and Tweedum. Humpty Dumpy is a mentally disable giant who took his grandmother apart and tried to put her back together again.

Oh, sorry, then there are four Lewis Carroll themed Batman villains.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

He can just spell it backwards. I will admit that it was pretty funny at first.

My biggest pet peeve with Origins was the Penguin subplot. It just ends. I guess it is continued in Cold Cold Heart, but the Falcone thing goes nowhere.

Whenever I get to the end of the Penguin subplot, I always think of this:

The Simpsons posted:

Burns: I suggest you leave immediately.
Homer: Or what? You'll release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with
bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
Well, go ahead -- do your worst!
[Burns slams the door and locks it]
[disbelieving] He locked the door! I'll show him -- [rings the
doorbell and runs away]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Crashbee posted:

They're supposedly armed with rubber bullets or something equally handwavey.

It also looked like the guys were heavily armored, so the bullets wouldn't necessarily kill. Can't really think of a way around the electrocution bit, unless we're going to take the TMNT route of saying the mooks are robots.

• Locked thread