Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
e: ^^^^^^ Man don't play with my emotions like that, Batman Beyond would be amazing

I'm going to be cautiosly optimistic about the multiplayer being added and pray really hard it's not going to have any sort of multiplayer achievments tied with it. I've worked hard to have 1000 gamerscore in both Arkham games and I did that poo poo alone.

Being Batman is all about being depressed as gently caress about your parents and working through it alone while the entire world is out to kill you :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I don't know if this was ever posted, but I love this so much:

There's also info about how they segmented the parts of the cities so that the industrial areas have no decorations, the corporate areas have clearly purchased decorations, and the residential areas (Gotham suburbs? I hope so!) have more personal stuff.

That the Christmas thing isn't just something slapped on but really integrated into the game design-wise is cool - part of what's always been fantastic about the Arkham games is the sense of atmosphere and history they lend the locations. (Also, totally calling that the game ends with a weary Batman stumbling back into the Batcave and Alfred offering cookies and hot cocoa or something similar.)
It should definitively end with Let it Snow....actually I really hope it will, that song is catchy as gently caress.

Went ahead and pre-ordered now, everything about it looks really neat and they seem to have captured the Batman spirit I was a bit afraid they would miss (and also that I really would have preferred a sequel then a prequel). Multiplayer achievments be damned!

Only thing I'm a bit worried about is that it looks like every segment of the city is just that, a closed segment. Meaning you *have to* use the Batwing/"Press A" to go between areas instead of being able to just run and glide through it on your own. Not really a big deal but I'm hoping for a fully open world in the style of Arkham City.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I wouldn't mind a Black Mask betrayal plot though. Have an assassin turn on Mask and end up with his face getting fused.
Yeah I would love to see some villain origin plots as well. A shame that Joker already being confirmed leaves out the Red Hood showdown.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

AA is one of two games I bothered to platinum on PS3 but AC just has too much tedium like the alternate reality challenges. I should really finish the Riddler arc though. Nice to get free DLC too!
I'm a bit pissed on those challenges as well. Getting 100% of AA was a point of little nerd pride for me, and I got every single Batman achievment in Arkham City giving me the 1000/1000, but those goddamn marathon challenges had to be done with every character to get it to be registered as 100% completed :negative:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I kind of liked the puzzles and the amount didn't feel that bad apart from the fact that the map was just too small for all of them. I mean seriously, at the start of the game it's like literally every square foot has 2 trophies and it took me out of the ~immersion~ just imagining Riddler spending weeks doing all of this unnoticed. Had it been the size of GTA IV it would have been perfect.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

randombattle posted:

Shouldn't deathstroke have swords and guns? Why is he bonking everyone with a staff anyway?
Take out all three thugs in this timed challenge to maximize your score!
Begin!
*bang bang bang*
New Highscore!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

I'm still over here shaking my fist about the multiplayer achievements. Let alone the quality of it.
You're not alone :sigh:

Zsinjeh posted:

God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.
If the reports are true that the multiplayer sucks then it's probably going to be dead in a very short time when I come back around to finish off the last achievments I don't have :mad:

they're also the kind of achievments where you have to grind to x amount of levels, probably max so you can't really cheese it with goons in a couple of games.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 21, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just a precaution in case some people here aren't clicking the links.
I'm one of those sticklers for not being spoiled, I stopped looking at Origin stuff when the Achievments started getting leaked. I want to be as surprised by the story as possible from here on out, thanks for spoiler-tagging :)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Man, I really hope the multiplayer doesn't end up sucking. I flinched and watched this multiplayer tutorial video and it still looks neat. :(

I don't want Arkham Origins to break my heart. AssCreed 3 broke my drat heart last year, and I hated hated hated Bioshock Infinite - Arkham Origins and Watch Dogs are the only two other games I've got any hype for.
Infinite I thought was alright, but then again I never really anticipated it that much, played a bit of Bioshock 1.
AssCred 3 broke my trust in videogames for all time, gently caress that piece of poo poo.

I also think the multiplay looks kind of neat (first time seeing it outside of trailer, I don't really consider that something I don't want spoiler since it's not the campaign) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be like the early Splinter Cell multiplayer and everybody is going to memorize every hidden position the dynamic duo/Sam Fisher can hide in and pre-emptively shoot and grenade it.

Hopefully there's a counter to thugs using detective vision because I'd just flash that everytime I'd take a corner to counter anyone trying to corner takedown.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Much like how Bruce Wayne trained his whole life to become Batman, I too, shall queue up a couple of expert level predator/combat challenges this week and get back into the groove.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I can't tell the difference between the default Origins Robin skin and its Origins alt. I know there's a difference but it's flashing too quickly for me to pin it down.
e: spoiler tagging this
Yellow cape with grey armor pads
vs
Green cape with green highlights on arms

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Eagerly waiting for the mail before the weekend holdup and all I've gotten so far was a phonebill, that is Joker-levels of evil :smith:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

seal it with a kiss posted:

Anybody figure out how to do critical strikes? It talks about enabling a hint helper but I'm not finding anything.
Did they change it from the previous iterations? In case you didn't play or remember from then: make sure to get into the flow and don't push twice when you intend to just do one just one move. If you find the timing right everything should be Critical Strikes. It's essentially just rewarding you for keeping your cool in a fight and not frantically bashing. I think there was even a special sound when you got a crit, but it wasn't a required combo or move or anything like that.

Full disclosure: I haven't played Origins yet so I'm sorry if they completely changed it and I'm talking out of my rear end.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I pick this up at a Walmart or whatever, is there a chance I'll get the Deathstroke DLC without getting a preorder copy?
If they bought in more pre-order copies then were ordered then maybe yeah. My pre-ordered came with a sticky on the plastic saying it contained the Deathstroke DLC, so look around if the same are on packs in the store.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Goddamn, getting timing right is tricky. I'm either very rusty or the combat is slightly quicker, or I'm (the character) slower? I feel a bunch of counters are coming quicker then animation are finishing almost.

I'm playing on Hard though and loving that it's actually hard.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Granted I haven't played Arkham City in a while, but I completed New Game+ there with no sweat, but for some reason the fights in Hard on Origins is really kicking my rear end. I definitely feel slower this time around, I feel like I'm evading a whole lot more then I used to :/

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God the Deathstroke fight was the best, it was incredibly satisfying to complete that, especially given motherfucking Deathstroke of all people going,"What ARE you!?! :gonk:" after you kick his rear end :allears:

I'm still early in the game but so far this is a more than worthy continuation of the quality of the previous two games, which is a huge relief.
Yeah feeling the same, I was incredibly skeptic about 'leaving' the Arkham storyline with a prequel but this is really holding up so far. Deathstroke fight was incredibly satisfying and it felt pretty natural, I got into the groove of the fight pretty much instantly and only hosed it up once on Hard.

Is it just me or is there a ton more fights in enclosed spaces with a large group of goons? I think I'm nailing that down to be my biggest difficulty so far, there's no real leeway to evade to :smith:

e:

Lodin posted:

So uh, what are the buttons on the 360 pad to do the quick versions of item use like the rope launcher or explosives in combat again? I know there's a move list of sorts in the skills menu but I can't seem to find them. Only played the previous games with mouse and keyboard.
Left Trigger + B = Concussion
Left Trigger + Y = Grapple
Left Trigger + X = Explosive Gel
Quick tap Left Trigger = Batarang
Not sure if it's in Origins but in City you quick-tapped Right trigger twice to throw ice grenades

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 26, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Ok, slowly getting the hang of combat in Hard difficulty...but it's also showing me why I had so much trouble with it before.
The goddamn loving camera is so slow to turn around and zoom out that I can't see enemies charging for me. And I'm not talking about the flash of a counter icon, they will literally lunge a good long way with a bat and completely come out of nowhere and whack me.

Certainly doesn't help that a lot of fights are in tight areas where I can't really swing the camera around completely freely. :argh:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Sleepy Owl posted:

Don't start on hard mode I guess? v:v:v
Are you telling me not to be Batman? Because it sounds like you want me to now be Batman :colbert:

Also I'm considering it practice for New Game+ and I Am The Night mode(:suicide:)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Question for guys further along then first meeting martial arts thugs, am I not supposed to have unlocked critical strike yet? Is there anything I can do to unlock them quicker, or is it solely main quest related? I didn't realize before how much of a crutch they are to me and I need to get them back.

Side question, is the fast-travel supposed to be disabled around the time [20% story completed spoiler ->]after completing GCPD and entering the sewers?. Nothing happened when I tried to go to the Batcave and I don't recall having a prompt that it's disabled. For reference I've tried in areas where Riddlers towers have been disabled.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

For question 1, Critical Strike is unlocked from a sidequest later on in the game.
Question 2, sometimes a thug will see you and want to fight even if you're far away from him. This makes the game think you're in combat and disables fast Travel. I dunno how to fix this other than maybe restarting from a checkpoint or fighting every single thug in the city until you can fast travel again.

Speaking of which, I like this game, but it definitely doesn't feel as polished as City did. I've run into several glitches where enemy AI bugs out and they just stand there. (Including Deathstroke) I've had thugs spawn right in front of me on empty rooftops. I did a Dark Knight challenge where you beat a Predator Encounter without using Detective Mode but after I knocked everyone out it didn't register for me, and I cannot seem to do a Hanging Ledge Takedown no matter what I try. The camera's a drat shame too, I can't even count the number of times I got hit by a thug because the camera decided to stick inside a wall.
Thanks man! And yeah, the camera thing is really loving bugging me too. I feel like I'm getting a hang of the combat but then someone just pops out of nowhere with a 60 feet bat swing and clocks me because I couldn't see him coming :argh:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

The combat in hard is so full of counters you can keep a combo going into 12x+ easily just by standing still and mashing the counter button. They attack fast enough that the combo never stops :v:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...I've played the entire series up through this one, and I never realized you could cut people down to reuse the gargoyle. Which is sad, since most of my predator kills are from inverted takedowns.
It also terrifies them and serves as a good distraction if you want them to turn around. It's a fantastic way to get out the really great lines from their terrified state without giving your position away and keeping that sweet unseen score.
"WHAT ARE YOU?!"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Kin posted:

Ah, thanks.

Were you able to glide through walls in the previous Batman games or am I just imagining things?
You definitely could, I tried doing the same thing in Origins over and over. I think he later upgrades his boots after his experiences in Origins :v:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

It's happening! I think I'm finally getting a hang of combat in hard, I'm pretty sure when I can see goons attacking and I know their pattern enough to know when I have time to hit a strike or just throw a quick batarang and then evade. Just like in City though I'm having a slight issue working explosive gel into it, always feels like it's a toss between working or destroying my combo for no particular reason.

Also I'm about to unlock Critical Strikes, watch out criminals :c00l: Feeling a lot better about I Am The Night mode, with New Game+ to really work on the muscle memory.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Some of the themes in Asylum came pretty close, and the main theme in City was amazing. But I'm really missing the traditional Batman theme from the 89 movie forward and I just wish they would go all out and license that back for the last(?) rocksteady sequel to finish up the Arkham series :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6frI0Xjufg

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Batham posted:

The tessellated snow on the ground after a brawl is simply stunning. I can't believe my eyes on how realistic it looks.
Even on console this part is really amazing. I caught myself stalking an armored thug while doing a side-mission and was wondering how long he was going to stay on his path so I could sneak up on him....when I noticed the tracks in the snow he had been making going back and forth telling me his exact pattern he was taking. Thanks buddy! :3:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Goddamnit I can never not be reduced to a quivering little nostalgic child again whenever a badass Batman trailer comes out. I think I held my breath during the whole thing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I've been meaning to post how hyped I am about this game but I've been too busy walking around in a shell shocked stupor after seeing the recent gameplay videos.

Just. Goddamn dude. :aaaaa:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Am I missing out on any dlc stuff by buying Arkham Knight for PC? Feels like a weird question to ask, but these days you never know.

Finally have a PC that can actually play games at pretty sweet settings and I'd much rather use a 360 pad to this setup then go back to a console again.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Goddamn. That gameplay blew me away, just like in Asylum and City. Time to go into my traditional exile from watching any and all videos of Knight until I can play the game for myself.

So long Batman, I'll see you in 6 months :kiddo:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still want to see the regular combat for this game. It's the reason i keep going back to combat challenges in the arkham games.
Mastering the combat in Arkham City is the best feeling you can have in videogames. Jumping into a group of thugs, several of them armed with guns, and not breaking a sweat is Batman as gently caress. Especially rewarding that it's more or less completely based on your personal skill. Once you get good at it and quickly plan on your feet you shouldn't take any damage at all and keep a combo going indefinitely.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Origins raised Firefly's profile a fair bit. He had a very memorable encounter and his personality was fun. I'd have a drink with him. :v:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm just hoping for a Professor Pyg appearance, with the M rating they can get reallyyyy hosed up.

But it's probably because Rocksteady is going to be really final about their ending the tour of Arkham with killing Batman in a tear-wrenching way that gets them the M rating - My own speculation I'm only basing on the things I've seen from playing Arkham.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

If there is a pulse there is justice

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

It's an old western technique Robin. It stands for 'be right back' it allows me to keep optimum performance in the heat of flame wars.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Obligatory "were we supposed to hate character x?" post. I also enjoyed Catwoman. Not a huge fan of traversal though but not to the point that I'd avoid playing as her because of it. Her fighting style more than made up for it. You're like a whirling banshee and it's hilarious :v: Second favorite after Batman of all the characs

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Robin was my favorite to play as, though I often went back to Batman due to gadget options.

Catwoman needs more thief tools in the sequel.
X+Y to 'accidentally' bump into a goon and grab his waller

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

There's also countless examples of Batman stopping (and/or beating the poo poo out out of) vigilantes trying to emulate him who aren't good enough since they'll only end up killed or killing someone. Like Arkham Knight :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not so much "Why didn't you kill me", but "Why are you so compelled to keep me alive when you see the threat I cause".
I always liked the interpretation that Batman is just as insane as any supervillain it's just that his compulsions are "crime needs to stop" and "no-one can die, ever". Feels particularly point in Arkham where he absolutely destroys goons into permanent paraplegic comas and keeps Joker and other psychos alive no matter what.

In Batmans perfect world, everyone is in a coma. Nobody dies, everything is at peace.

~my headcanon~

• Locked thread