Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wow, Troy Baker really has been working on his Mark Hammil impression. I had to imdb to see if it was Hammil or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I personally thought floaty ghost Ras Al-Ghul giving you a gliding tutorial was pretty much a tragedy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham Knight 100% confirmed as a Doctor Who/Batman crossover and the informal introduction to Rocksteady's acquisition of the Doctor Who game license.

Combining one of the most awesome things of all time (Batman) with one of the lamest things of all time (Doctor Who) sounds like a recipe for boring.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I think there was about .5 seconds of actual gameplay in that trailer, a part where the Batmobile appears to be charging through the sewer not unlock Sonic 2's secret levels.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kaizer88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2_iUkojCY

I can't get over how fantastic Gotham looks in that video. Watched him fly through the sequence 6 times now.

I haven't been following this game very closely, and I am just completely and utterly blown away by that entire video.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Less Talk More Rock posted:

Are you talking about Batman-The Ultimate Evil by Andrew Vachss? I remember liking it when it came out, but I haven't read it in years.

I found this book because was at the public library as a child and typed "batman" into the search. Score.

Though if we're talking about novels, No Man's Land is my favorite. Its a novelization of the No Man's Land storyline of Batman, with all the fat trimmed and with more exposition. I read it multiple times as a kid, I really enjoyed it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CuwiKhons posted:

I can't wait to hear a justification for how a thug is "unconscious" after getting a lead pipe beatdown.

Massive control.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If a game franchise makes three games in a row that I love the gently caress out of, I wouldn't have any qualms about pre-ordering it. Only other series this applies to: anything Metal Gear, and I'm gonna say anything Half-Life as well because I would probably pre-order Half-Life 3 and feel it was a safe purchase.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only thing that bugged me about Arkham Origins were the indoor environments. They seemed fairly complex, leading you through vents and various other scenery, but if you stopped and observed what you were doing, you'd realize you were essentially being funneled down one long narrow corridor. I guess the previous games were just better at disguising it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I enjoyed the Slade fight but I guess I can see that the fight itself is actually kinda lame if you break it down mechanics-wise. I'm not sure how else you can do a 1v1 melee fight in Arkham that doesn't involve QTEs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's interesting, I didn't even notice these changes to the combat system, I suppose because it was months in between playing City and Origins. Up until this point I thought it was exactly the same.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Quest For Glory II posted:

You don't want to have your way with Batman??

Hey. Hey there. It's me. Sexy Batman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batman has a retractable bar underneath his arm armor that is supporting the majority of the weight. He uses it to make his interrogations seem physically impossible, thus furthering the Bat mythos.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In the comics, the whole dynamic between Batman and Gordon is a bit shaky. From Batman's perspective, Gordon is practically his only real friend (family members don't count). From Gordon's perspective, Batman is a necessary evil that he doesn't necessarily agree with. Also, Gordon realizes that he probably couldn't stop Batman even if he wanted to. Their entire relationship hinges on one thing, that Batman never kill anyone. If Batman ever did kill, Gordon would lead the crusade to hunt Batman down.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kalonZombie posted:

Why is everyone talking about Joker falling into acid like that actually happened? Even in the Killing Joke, he basically admitted to it being that's how he remembered it happening THAT DAY and that how he remembers becoming the Joker changes on a constant basis. Joker's not really the best source to trust about his past.

The point behind this line is that there are a bunch of written origin stories for the Joker. This makes all of them still canon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked Arkham Assault but yeah it could have done without the sex scenes. I thought it was cool that it showed the villain's perspective. They just commit crimes and eventually Batman shows up and just wrecks them. Pretty much half the staff at Arkham gets brutally murdered, just like every other week.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Arkham Origins has screenshots in the Steam Store that seem way more awesome than anything in the actual game. Unless my computer sucks that bad, which is possible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel the opposite. The Joker is awesome and he would be sorely missed from any Arkham game at this point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not really fond of the direction Joker has gone in the comics. Prior to New 52, he was a force to be reckoned with. Not just to Batman, but the entire DC universe. There was even a whole series where he gets Mxyzptlk powers and fucks with Superman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Troy Baker's the new Joker. He voiced him in the Arkham animated movie

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

* Poison Ivy making literally the exact same giant flower and brainwashing a number of guards.

That was especially dumb, since that plant was a Titan flower.

Also, Batman is undercover with the group for a large chunk of the movie, and during that time the Suicide Squad straight up murders a bunch of people. Batman at no point tries to stop them. Instead of playing along with their plot and figuring out what it was, Batman would have just shown up, beat some motherfuckers down, tied them up, and left.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

They usually have one or two I prefer. Adam West Batman all day e'ry day.

Though I'd prefer a bit more effort into stuff like TAS Batman or Batman Beyond.

I wish they had the later TAS Batman, that they used in the Justice League cartoon and poo poo. The one they used for Arkham City felt like it had these giant anime eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People don't listen to thug dialogue? I like to eavesdrop on their conversations and wait until someone mentions Batman, and then I instantly appear and wreck their poo poo. Gotta keep the mythos up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kalonZombie posted:

while the freaks are starting to emerge and nobody but Batman knows how to deal with them.

Punch them?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There were a series of comics based on Batman: The Animated Series. When you glance at the cover, it looks like tired ol' kid stuff garbage. Believe it or not, they are actually very well written. Just as well written as the show, maybe better. In fact, a lot of loose ends from the show get tied up in the comics. Phantasm comes back for instance.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Black Mask is just the mob boss gangster stereotype taken to the extreme. Here's a pretty good clip of him from Under the Red Hood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4QX6iqZlQ

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I keep trying to play New Game Plus in Arkham City but it keeps forcing me to sit through this awful plot that I just saw in regular New Game. I keep turning the game off after 15 minutes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Narcissus1916 posted:

Still better than Arkham City completely dropping the ball with Hugo Strange. They give him this incredible introduction (hauling away Bruce Wayne) and litter the game world with recordings that really display what an amazing bastard he is. And then City proceeds to completely forget about him, to the point where he's entirely ancillary to the actual climax of the game - both the stuff at the tower and then the wrap-up in the theater.

Strange makes this big deal about how he's going to reveal Batman's identity if Batman tries to stop him. Only, Batman immediately tries to stop him, makes no effort to hide it, and Strange just never bothers to make good on his threat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

Well poo poo, definitely getting it then, haha. I shall pretend it's a Scarecrow induced fantasy trip before the events of Arkham Knight.

Bruce Wayne falls asleep reading Lord of the Rings. This is the dream he has.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As long as we're talking obscure, lets get some Sportsmaster up in this bitch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That cape looks so horrible. No piece of fabric has ever behaved that way. Do you really trust the developers of F.3.A.R. to make a good Batman game?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But F.E.A.R. is really good. I was talking about F.3.A.R. With a 3.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Assault on Arkham had a fairly neat portrayal of Batman. He just showed up at random times in the middle of crimes, usually without saying anything. Did a good job of making it obvious why crooks are always afraid that Batman will show up. He can't be everywhere, but he knows about your crime and he will find you.

Everything else was pretty bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CuwiKhons posted:

Completely disagree. It would have been fine as a joke, but they played it straight and it's loving absurd. I absolutely believe that Batman is an anal retentive weirdo who has memorized the Arkham schedules and blows a gasket every time the guards casually trade shifts, but that doesn't mean I want the movie to actually portray him as that guy and act like it's reasonable behavior. Even having him mention it to Oracle and having a brief cutaway for her to roll her eyes at him would have made it more palatable, but instead it comes off as the little kid on the playground going "nuh uh, batman could too survive a meteor strike"

This is actually the reason why Batman is so fuckin badass. In fact it's completely in character and not at all weird. It's weird that you think it's weird. If Batman, the king of preparedness, has years to prepare, he will be insanely prepared.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My point originally was that its not unreasonable for Batman to know the shifts of the guards in Arkham. If it is information written on paper, his only superpower is a photographic memory. Super memory.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My advice: trust Rocksteady. I think they've earned it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orgophlax posted:

I doubt they'd completely steal the Mask of the Phantasm plot, but you never know.

EDIT: In that vein, anyone have any recommendations for good animated Batman movies? My kids love Phantasm, the one with Mr. Freeze, and the one with the Red Hood. What others are good so I don't have to cycle those 3 anymore?

There are a bunch of Justice League movies that are pretty sweet, and they always feature Batman as a main character. Also, if you watch all the cutscenes from Injustice: Gods Among Us on youtube, it is actually one of the best movies yet. Seriously, check it out if you never plan on playing it. The story was extremely well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It should be the true Anti-Batman: Prometheus. His origin is that his parents were killed by cops during a robbery when he was 8 years old and he vowed to destroy all law and order. He traveled the world, perfecting his murder skills.

• Locked thread