Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My experience with the concussion grenades is that they were only really good when they got power quickfired. Instant explosion. Otherwise they were very solidly meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've been paying approximately zero attention to all the release information around Arkham Knight but it seems pretty good so far. Won't be getting it on PC though, I've got this PS4 I should be doing things on instead of sitting next to my TV. Also I'm excited to see the return of ADAM WEST BATMAN COSTUME.

But damnation this combat system is looking pretty good. All the stuff I've been wanting to do with more on top. Steal weapons? Hell yes steal weapons.

Also hopefully Arkham Knight will sufficiently wash the taste of Origins out of my mouth. A man can dream.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Maybe the ally takedowns will be sort of like the assassin call-ins from Assassin's Creed, you'll get a certain number of charges to call them in for guaranteed takedowns.

That being said maybe the minigun guys it shows in the trailer require a double takedown, otherwise they're immune to silent takedowns like the armored jerks.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I put in my PS4 preorder yesterday so hopefully I get some sweet-rear end Harley Quinn story stuff.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I would have pre-purchased on PC but at this point I think that would necessitate buying a new PC which I'm just not in the market for right now.

I say as I plan on buying a PS3/4 capture device. I've done LPs for Asylum-Origins right now, it'd be rude not to do Knight after I get a good handle on it. My PC's having issues recording Origins so I think I'm hitting its end point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So they're looking at something like $40 of DLC for the season pass? That seems pretty junky.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except she was erased from history with the reboot, and several writers have stated that editorial won't let her be used in stories, even when they want to. God forbid the Batman Family have a member who's not lily-white, regardless of their actual ethnic background (looking at you, Damian Wayne).

Clearly as demonstrated in Batman Beyond, Bruce Wayne's genetics overwrite all those that are inferior. :biotruths:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mogomra posted:

Did I see Batman straight up throw a dude like 100 feet in the air?

I guess he essentially flew around in fights from the other games.

Could be worse, he could be dragon kicking some dude into the milky way.

Mzbundifund keeps making gifs from my LPs and please never stop.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
That's what they went with? Is this edgy advertising to 15 years ago? What is this? Nothing in this commercial makes me want JUSTICE.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Which would be great if they weren't bound to the strike and counter keys on PC, thus ensuring that you'd accidentally activate tehm during normal combat.

I've been playing on PS3 and PC with a controller, they're clicking in both thumbsticks on those systems. It's not terrible by any means but it can be out of the way of your moves. There's usually more than enough time to activate them during a long animation, such as a special combo takedown. Also no risk of doing it by accident with them being on the thumbsticks.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly kept forgetting electroshock existed. It's so absurdly unnecessary.

See also: concussion detonator.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

Concussion Detonators are only useful in such a tiny fraction of situations it's no wonder Bruce stops using it before asylum.

I wonder what alternate effect would've given it more life because flashbangs seem right at home on the belt.

I'd say make them limited use smoke bombs. Sort of like caltrops, three uses per map. Instant detonation, limited range, same effect. Probably the biggest thing holding that gadget back was the time delay. Second biggest thing holding it back is random swings hitting you when you're in the middle of a counter.

ThermoPhysical posted:

How well does Arkham Asylum hold up so far? I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of all of the console Arkham games up to Knight.

Asylum still holds up pretty well, honestly. The combat will seem limited if you're coming from recently playing City but it's totally doable. City is still fantastic. Origins will be a slap in the face after City.

My authority on this is doing exhaustive playthroughs of these games over the last year.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

The ones I've seen go for maximum variation, max multiplier, baiting knife counters (but not from armored thugs), mixing in lots of ground & pound on near-KO'd targets already milked for combo multipliers and leaving enforcers for last.

I can second most of that. I've spent too much time on challenge maps. Armored thugs are useful for combo buildup due to beatdowns but as I recall Enforcer takedowns aren't that lucrative, relatively speaking. Titans were worth 100, Enforcers are only worth 50 I think? Knife takedowns are also worth 100, which is the most you can get from any single move. They'll also increment your combo by 2 instead of 1. Ground pounds are super useful at the end of any given map, depending on your use of glue/freeze grenades and ultra stuns you can get 2-3 thugs on the ground at once. Even more if you use a freeflow power explosive gel, you can get 4-5 consecutive pounds. Ground pounds are 75 each. Doesn't sound like much but man once you get those combo multipliers up there it gets pretty fantastic. One of the dangers is using a multi ground takedown that's too effective. Those are delicious points going away forever!

You want a disappointing result, use Bruce Wayne in Origins against any martial artist ever. Their combo attack against you is broken and doesn't work, talk about breaking a loving streak when you're in the flow.

I'm not averse to seeing the Joker come back in some way but loving hell he cannot be the same plot black hole. He's done that three games in a row. I can see him coming back in a Scarecrow segment but the definition of a Scarecrow segment has to change, I think. It can't just be a copy of Asylum.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Beeez posted:

I think the martial artists just are counter-able faster as Bruce Wayne, as I've been able to counter them just fine, it's just that you can counter them when they first try to shove you rather than getting shoved and then countering as one does with Batman.

To show you what I'm talking about...

A video!

I did this a few weeks ago, it's the Bruce Wayne initiation campaign. Lady Shiva fights as a Martial Artist without counter indicators. The section where it starts is me countering the first in what is the usual martial artist series of counters (vs the double counter), and she just...backs off after the first hit. This has been repeatable with any given martial artist in any given combat map with Bruce Wayne vs martial artists.

The best way I've found to get around it is to just counter the first hit and counterattack, then counter the counter-hit, but at the same time...the other two characters can do a combo hit counter just fine. Why is Bruce Wayne broken?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Brovstin posted:

I'm gonna miss the old gimp suit Beyond Skin. :(

What the hell is this suit

ROCKSTEADY WHY

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll admit I'm a bit worried. The game's got a lot of hype to live up to, and the $40 season pass isn't making it look better.

Still going to play the poo poo out of it, more than likely.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Wish they had all/any of these deals for PS4. Or that I knew where to look.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hello, it's my LP.

There's not a lot of plot analysis but people who have been following it also followed the LPs I did of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, so it gives a certain perspective. They also get to see some great bugs in Arkham Origins. If you're not an LP enjoyer this likely won't change your mind.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I liked the writing of Origins because it doesn't explode past its bounds given its villains. The issue I had with City is yeah, I can see Ra's Al Ghul getting that crazy. I can see him pulling off that sort of thing in Arkham City especially given some extortion tapes in Origins, dude has his fingers deep in some different pies. I can't see the Joker getting as far as he did or his plan working out but maybe that's just me (it's not)

Arkham Asylum suffered from some of the same problems or started them. Using Bane to make a concentrated form of Venom I can see. The Joker taking over the Asylum I can see. The Joker making an army of super soldiers...you lost me.

By those comparisons, the plot in Origins is downright grounded. I still would have preferred to see less of the Joker and less of Bane as a black hole. I would have liked to see more of Batman taking on the crime syndicates. I'd rather see some interactions from Rupert Thorne and Carmine Falcone. If they'd spent more time on Origins, maybe the Long Halloween threads wouldn't have disappeared into nothing. The most disappointing thing about Arkham Origins' story is all the things that didn't work out, but at the same time it's still significantly more grounded. There's no world domination plans. The main consideration is how hard the game fellates the Joker but even that doesn't entirely derail the whole thing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
As far as DLC goes, martial artists were 100% broken against Bruce Wayne in challenge maps. You could attack them and they'd counter you just fine, they'd do their double attack just fine.

Them doing their chain-attacks against Bruce Wayne never worked. They'd attack one and then just back off and stop. Pretty much a rude move in a combat system that thrives on predictability. I'd also frequently get hit by nothing whenever martial artists were around. No counter icons, no enemies next to me, just WHAM life lost combo dropped enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm most surprised that they acknowledged Arkham Origins exists in that video. They talked about the evidence room having stuff from all three previous games!

• Locked thread