Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think they said he would be less awesome. Just that he would be more inexperienced, raw and brutal.

Wasn't he brutal and raw enough in Arkham City?

What, is he just going to straight punch someone directly in the lung just because he didn't like their face but, after Arkham Asylum/City, he'll learn that's just not cool to do? Though, I think he's done that more than once.

And there's the time where he basically threatened to kill Freeze in Arkham City just because he was having a bad day and was dying of blood poisoning.

Seriously, how do we get more brutal than this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robin is in the game and there is 3 on 3 on 2 multiplayer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYHYJPhhxc

Not exactly excited. I think this could harm the single-player just to cater to those who kept whining about "no multiplayer".

Robin is in, despite Batman being newly into his career. I guess this is okay because multiplayer is a thing now.

Instead of the solid reviews from Asylum/City, I could see this game getting mediocre views just because of multiplayer being stuffed in to appease everyone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...-arkham-origins

Looks like playing through the main story will unlock multiplayer-only items.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fine. You guys sold me on the multiplayer.

Still don't think it's needed but maybe it'll be ok.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hopefully it's just the multiplayer that's bad. I'm a lot less hyped for the game now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Despite who's making what, I still don't know if I'm as excited for the game as I once was. Even if I won't play the multiplayer (which I won't), any bad news for this game is going to make things kind of iffy for those who were already on the fence about it.

I trust Rocksteady, I don't exactly trust WB Montreal when they already made the decision to go with such mediocre multiplayer in the first place.

Sure, the multiplayer may not be by the same company, but it still takes space on the disc for something that could be a lot better and it was still approved by WB to be put in the game. I don't know about others, but I'm not going to just let this slide and I'll be keeping a closer eye on development for the game as a whole if they think it's cool to just give something like this..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

To me, the trailer was pretty loving moving. Not gonna lie, I kinda teared up but I'm sure that's what they want.

I've been avoiding all news of this game but just had come in and see what was going on and I'm glad I did. If the story is as emotional and engaging as that trailer, I'm glad I preordered this game.

I mean sure, it's Batman so he's going to be kicking some rear end all over the place, but it seems like the game will be delving into his past and how his parents murders affected him. If they want an emotional but kick rear end Batman tale, I'm all for it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've read the whole thing with all the assassins coming to Gotham to kill Batman will be his first true poo poo-hits-the-fan moment. It'll be the first time when he really faces overwhelming odds and it'd be cool if we get to see him tap into the rage he's been holding down for so long in order to get himself through it. This will be a Batman who doesn't even know is own limits yet. Arkham City Batman gets a deadly disease and just says "I'll make it", and he does. I'd really like to watch Batman discover that he can use his parents death to push him forward through pretty much anything.

That sounds pretty awesome. It'll probably start out with him stopping some usual petty theft or maybe even an underground crimering...then poo poo just goes crazy after that.

I hope they also go into Bruce Wayne's depression and brooding over it all. I mean the guy can't be all THAT sane. Even if they only show him as Bruce for a little bit in a cutscene with Alfred or something, that'd still be nice to show that he's not Batmanning it up the entire game. I guess it'd give a bit of realism to the character.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but it seems the Deathstroke DLC is pretty much a skinned Robin DLC from Arkham City. A lot of people are upset and worried it means the whole game will be just like Arkham City but renamed as a cheap cash-in while Rocksteady makes a better game for PS4 and Xbox One.

The devs in the previously linked Reddit AMA didn't really comment much beyond that Deathstroke has different gadgets and plays differently than Robin, despite having the same block, walk, and mirrored moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHTs0-FQl8

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm just kind of hoping this doesn't reflect on the actual game itself.

I'm guessing embargoes will go away on Monday, maybe. We'll probably get some reviews trickling in by then and we'll know.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kin posted:

I was thinking about buying this as soon as it launches but I've still got a lot of reservations about the game mostly because as far as i'm aware, there hasn't really been that much shown of the actual game has there?

I get that they don't want to spoil anything but i kinda feel that by this point, before AA and AC launched we knew a lot more about both games.

There have been quite a few videos on YouTube with game play. One shows Barbara Gordon in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsfA4VyV0o

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't want to click that but I'm guessing it's Joker related?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 21, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm getting this for PS3 and I'm not sure how preload works. Will those of you who are preloading, can you play early?

If so, not spoiling anything, can you give impressions?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ronnie posted:

180mb pre-order size whelp i'm surprised it's a much shorter game but hey: amazing how technology works huh.

180mb isn't that long of a game...How big was AC?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

16mb custom .wad file, but you needed the commercial copy of Doom to play it, the shareware version wasn't enough.

I uh...Batman?

We are talking about Arkham City..right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I know this is a sub-forum called 'Games' and not 'Jokes' but sometimes people do make them here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwUq9oC4v8

Batman should not work well as an fps, but it drat near pulls it off.

Never played much of Doom, but this looks loving amazing regardless.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You know. I think Origins will be out tomorrow on Steam.

Google Now is claiming that it'll be out tomorrow...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google is pulling it from multiple sites so I don't know 100% but who knows.

I asked a few local stores and some said they may sell tomorrow.

Why is it coming on Friday anyway? That's kind of weird for a game...Pokemon X/Y dropped on a Saturday. I thought games were always a Tuesday?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beeez posted:

I don't know how it could be coverup-level bad, though. It may not be as highly regarded as City since it'll probably seem less of a step up than City was from Asylum, but I don't see how it could be so bad that it could be a flop if they don't coverup review scores.

I could see Origins being maybe an 8 on review sites. It'd probably get nicked for being like City with "nothing new" or maybe the usual framerate issues that seem to plague all PS3/360 games nowadays but that's about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RBX posted:

I forsee a backlash against this one.

The game? Why?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man that trailer has me pumped up - I know I'm just getting what is essentially an Arkham City reskin and that I should probably be pissed off, but I loved Arkham City, so... welp! vv

As long as it's not "Here's Arkham City, just told differently with different people" and it's just "here's Arkham City but the story is different", I'd be ok with it.

I'd expect it to do more than Spider-Man 3, for example, which wasn't even a step forward. Also, doesn't Rocksteady basically welcome this game as canon in the Batman Arkham line?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

redbackground posted:

What the hell are they going to say? "Guys, this one sucks! We shouldn't have trusted them!"

More likely just make another Origins-style game...which I think the current rumor is that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beeez posted:

Oh God drat it. Now it's really seeming like I shouldn't have pre-ordered it at Gamestop if everything but Gamestop is releasing it early.

Amazon isn't last I checked.

Actually, it looks like the PC version is out today on Amazon and tomorrow on Steam:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham...+arkham+origins

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 23, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr.Citrus posted:

Most people say the story is actually a highlight this time round though, which is nice.

Best news I've heard all day. Did they say anything about the random crimes across the city? How do those play out exactly (no spoilers if possible)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Who is the writer or writers for this game? Someone said they did Assassin's Creed games?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Great Enoch posted:

From what I can see, a little more janky. There are predator sections in the open world which aren't as tight as the small arenas in the previous games. Getting around the open world is also a little less intuitive, so far.

I did a lot of predator things using the environment around me in City, are these sections just closed off in the open world or are they just like that?

Also, does it make you feel like Batman more or less than the previous games?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

He does sound younger and sometimes strays from Conroy's monotone. There's at least one scene when he goes rage a'la Bale when interrogating a guy.

This both saddens and delights me.

Is it as corny as Bale's Batman when he's enraged or actually terrifying for a second?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/b...ins_review.html

Apparently, this reviewer wasn't under embargo. The game is about 12 hours long (includes the side missions too).

They rated it an 8/10.

quote:

+Still has gaming's best combat system.
+Great Batman origin story.
+Numerous spine-tingling Bat moments.
-Does go over a lot of old ground.

Looks like this is a worthy prequel to the Arkham line of games.

Also, I wrote this post while playing City. Just overheard an inmate say that he's not surprised people are eating other people considering how bad the food is...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I cannot wait for this game. I feel stupid for getting it from Amazon and doing free shipping. Ah well. Halloween will be the best Halloween ever.

So is the general goon-consensus that it's better than City in terms of gliding and has a better story than Asylum?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If I pick this up at a Walmart or whatever, is there a chance I'll get the Deathstroke DLC without getting a preorder copy?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

If they bought in more pre-order copies then were ordered then maybe yeah. My pre-ordered came with a sticky on the plastic saying it contained the Deathstroke DLC, so look around if the same are on packs in the store.

Amazon has already decided to start the shipping process so never mind. Thanks for the info though! I picked up GTA V without preordering a week after it launched from Radio Shack...it was the preorder version with no indication that it was. Figured I got lucky.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The way I like to think of it is that this is like an episode of Batman the Animated Series where it's set in the same city, same gadgets, same main character, same animation, different writers, different plot, different enemies, and set in the past.

Maybe a flashback episode or a Scarecrow-induced thing like with Batgirl in "Over the Edge".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are the people with bugs playing this on PC or ps3/360/wiiu?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spermando posted:

I don't know if my PS3 is dying or this game has some of the worst QA in an AAA title. It crashes all the time, the framerate drops to the single digits very often in outdoor areas, and just now this happened.

That sounds like some kind of console issue...maybe HDD or disc drive?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how much the Knightfall DLC is on PS3?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Awesome! Thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone else get a refund from Amazon for about $1.01? I guess the game dropped to $58.98 for a split second before it shipped so they're refunding me that amount.

The game seems is one of those "you hate it or you like/love it" type deals, but is it already dropping in price? It just came out no more than two days ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's just a generic pricing quirk.

Huh. Never had that happen before. Cool.

Thanks for the response!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a goonmade WBID I should be using to unlock stuff? I don't have an iOS device for the iOS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Came up behind a guy in Penguin's boat and did a combat takedown on a guy on the ledge. He screams "OH COME ON! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" as he goes down.

Almost would've felt sorry for him...if I wasn't laughing so hard.

• Locked thread