Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

BreakAtmo posted:

What about if her different attacks required different buttons to counter, and had no flashy tells? The first time she did an attack, the game would slo-mo and tell you which button would counter it, and from then on you would have to memorise the correct buttons and recognise the attacks based on animations alone.

The average thug is pretty slow, has a massive grace period for counters and does not perform counters themselves. Shiva would not be any of those things. The regular combat could work quite well with just a much smaller window for mistakes and maybe an utterly frantic pace, with just the change that counter functions only as a block now, not as a block-counter-attack. Attacking her ,too overtly outside a window of opportunity, could prompt counter-attack from her however.

You can also do extra Batman-y things like having to use gadgets to throw her off balance (but a particular trick would only work once) or use the environment to create bigger openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't recognize any of the Infinite Earths skins but apparently the first one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman the third one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman's replacement and the 4th one kinda looks like Batman during the Rock of Ages storyline.

The first Infinite Earths looks a bit like Kingdom Come Batman but without large mechanical wings.

I'm pretty sure the yellow Bats is the one from Thrillkiller.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 27, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Is there a way to change the control inputs in this game? I'm dumb and can't find it.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Another issue with Batman's morality in the Arkham series; his knock outs are practically neck breaking smacks.

For a dude who's core principal is supposedly 'don't kill anyone', he's more than willing to put them in a wheelchair for life, or put them in a dangerous situation where death is likely.

I remember there used to be idle conversations between crooks in AC lamenting how they just got their asses handed to them a few hours before by Bats and they seemed no worse for wear. You can assume Arkham Batman's moves are mostly just theatrical nightmare fuel if you like.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Kaizer88 posted:

Most of those are saying "Batman broke 3 ribs and my arm 6 months ago back in arkham asylum". Thugs wouldn't be that scared of him if he didn't break some bones.

I thought they did a good job of showing the difference between mature Kevin Conroy batman in asylum/city who has this icy/calm demeanor while interrogating thugs ; he knows he can make them talk. In Origins he's far more aggressive and brutal, dropping them 30 feet down into Christmas trees.

Pfft, broken ribs and dislocated arms are only terrible burdens in the context of the American Healthcare system for the uninsured.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

I always thought it was funny that Penguins bio mentions him being excellent at hand-to-hand combat. First time through I thought that would be a hint in a fight against him, but in that encounter Pengiun is definitely not excellent.

Penguin's gimmick has traditionally been that he's as clever at Bats but too much of a wreck to capitalize on it, he's only good at cqc in so far as a couple of a goons wouldn't be enough to take him down. I guess that's pretty good compared to rogues like the Riddler.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Don't forget that dudes like the Joker can only find help to begin with because he pays like 5x more than the next highest bidder so an increasingly desperate criminal populace also becomes an ever escalating danger.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I'm digging the combat myself. It feels much more deliberate than AC, which was already leaning in that direction to begin with.

BiggerBoat posted:

No way...Someone should write a Batman story around this concept!! You know, since it's never been explored or anything.

In the comics Batman as Bruce Wayne donates heaps of money to try resolve the economic issues that push desperate people into crime but as far as I know the medical bill thing hasn't itself been explicitly covered. That's probably because the average 13 year old comic book reader doesn't give a gently caress if the goon whose teeth Batman just knocked in has a dental plan or not.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Well, he still wouldn't kill the baby. Just break all of its soft, tiny bones.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Finally beat this thing myself, pretty great but I feel like the lead up to Firefly was much better executed than the actual finale with the final boss.

Just out of curiosity, what takedowns can you do on Deadshot when he takes the hostage in the side mission? I ended up just conserving my silent takedown until last but surely they would give you more options than that, right?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I actually liked the Two-face encounter this around since you got to do it as Batman with all his endless predator options. I went with corner takedown, tightrope takedown, ledge takedown and wall-smash takendown. I wanted to batarang or claw/remote claw him off the walkway but he got down too soon :( I guess there's still glue smash and blinding him with a fire extinguisher too for bat-pranks I wanted to pull on him :allears:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think Rocksteady has their work cut out for them in terms of bringing something new in the next game. I'd take something more episodic if it let us haul rear end in the Batmobile and do other cool things.

I want Arkham World in the sense that Bats has to go on a huge globe trotting detective journey to take down a massive-scale plot probably involving a Ra's Al Ghul who's stopped loving around.

Phylodox posted:

It is a horror game.

It's me.

I'm the monster.

This is why I go out of my way to be as terrifying as possible in predator rooms.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I haven't really had problems getting the unseen bonus for just about any predator map but there's no way I'll be able to not use detective vision for those challenges.

smuh posted:

Also man does it suck how few predator rooms there are in this game. Asylum had pretty much a perfect balance between punch-time and sitting on gargoyles but the games have really gotten progressively more fight centric. I hope I'll be able to finish those predator challenges during NG+ at least.

There's just so much random fighting from roving enemy clusters on the map, to crimes in progress, to all the mini-missions and case files that it dwarfs the small number of predator maps mostly tied to the main story.

There should have been a few crimes in progress that were more significant predator maps dealing with things like jewelry store heists w/hostages, warehouse stings or apprehending one of those petty case files crooks who bunkered down in mob safehouse or something.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

I used the 70s Neal Adams outfit all the time. That yellow bat-oval has gone out of style these days, but I liked it! Of course, I'm just waiting to be able to use the Adam West skin now.

It was the best skin because somehow that steel blue still blended into most of the environments making it a practical choice.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, mother loving gently caress blade takedowns and knife guys. I couldn't do them in City and damned if I can do them in Origins either.

My foolproof way is holding down the counter button until the guy finishes a knife swing* and you're perfectly safe for a brief moment, let go for like a micro-second, then go back to holding the button down again. Repeat for as many swings as the guy/gal makes. The timing is tricky in origin's storymode though but you can practice it in the batcave under easier circumstances.

*If you let go too early, you'll take damage. Wait until the guy's recovering from the swing.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Batswarm spam has been the key to the bigger combos in my experience.

Batswarm seems to do damage now though :argh:

I've lost a couple combos because the dude I was going to punch next was already KO'd by my batnado.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I think most people think too hard about the no-kill policy. Bats stops violent crimes in progress, full-stop. Bats is not a judge, jury or executioner. He doesn't even process crooks though he all but gift-wraps them for GCPD. Everything beyond physically halting a crime is left to the justice system, to prosecutors, judges et al. It's the responsibility of professionals to determine the fate of a criminal. The only reason why this seems insufficient is that most rogues are ad hoc insane and go to an asylum instead, mostly so they can keep dodging a death penalty, and remain recurring villains because it's a comic book.

I know the 'if I start I won't stop' thing has actually appeared in comics but I always found the very first explanation given way back when Bats was first written with the one rule to be more than satisfying.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Funnily enough I just started reading Batman from the very beginning starting with Detective Comics and he straight up murders dudes. He broke a dude's neck, flung a dude off a building, and shot dudes up with guns on his batplane. I'm really curious now to get to the point where they decided that Batman wouldn't kill anyone and how they go about it.

IIRC, the rule was first written out explicitly as recently as the early 80s (and it caught fans off guard! People wrote in about it). Bats had, however, enjoyed roughly two decades of comics being relatively kill free/limited kills due to new restrictions placed on them. I imagine it just seemed like a natural evolution at the time to that writer.

What's neat about the old comics is how much of a hardass Batman was though. A scientist acidently spills chemicals on himself, becomes a mindless monster, goes on a rampage and is reverted into his old form by Bats who then snaps his neck because: No Excuses.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 5, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Beeez posted:

I'm not sure which story you're referring to here, though. The neck snapping of one of Hugo Strange's Monster Men was treated as a tragic necessity and there wasn't any indication he could have turned back IIRC.

Different story. The pertinent details were that the lone scientist had fully reverted back, had his agency restored and was actually regretful of the crimes committed outside of his control but Bats kicked him down a flight of stairs anyway. The scientist broke his neck on the last step. I'll point you in the direction of the issue if I can find it. It was pretty stone cold.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Clock King or I riot.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Why the gently caress am I better at this game when there's no counter icons?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It's likely that the lack of focus on counter icons encourages broader awareness, and massive sequence bias- you've already had a whole game's worth of practice once you start icon-less fights.

I had just wrapped up all the combat in the training room before diving in, that's what I was comparing it to. You're probably right about the broader awareness though. Counter icons are a false crutch.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Aren't the reverse ledge takedowns good enough for that medal?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish there was an alternate option for predator rooms that was variation/scoring based instead of "do these three things." It'd probably be hard to work out a good scoring system but it'd be more fun than feeling so locked in.

There used to be intimidation bonuses for loving around with guards. I wish they developed the relentlessly terrify mooks aspect a little more for predator rooms.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

He was made a diplomat of some kind in exchange for the arms/chemicals he dealt. It actually persisted a while because there was a Superman comic sometime in the very early '00s where the Joker busted out the diplomatic immunity card to get away since it's the type of thing that'd work on Supes.

It is very embaressing.

e: The nation he had the immunity with by then was "Qurac" so at least they changed it from Iran.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 8, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

raditts posted:

I tried to 100% Catwoman but the extreme predator campaigns were so infuriating that I quit with one or two left to go. I think I did all the others though.

Usually the Catwoman medals themselves aren't too demanding unlike some of the more ridiculous Bat medals (switch hitter:argh:). It really just comes down to being able to take out heaps of armored guys safely. Anything that knocks down an armored dude can be followed up by a ground and pound for a quick KO, while her whipped up takedown is extremely exploitable if you can just find a ceiling that she can climb on that's also beneath a ledge people can walk on.

The top of the world one was a poo poo map though I agree since she has nothing but bolus noises to lure guys into the situations needed for the medals.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

So is that really it with the Penguin plotline? I was expecting some closure from it like there is with the Black Mask plot but it just ends.

I agree with you, it seemed like he left on a win so I figured there's no way Bats would stand for that.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ShineDog posted:

Joker died in the city that has been shown to have resurrection goop in it, with at least 2 resurrection devices. Joker will be back, I just hope to hell not any time soon.

I'm getting pretty tired of Joker too. Bats is great for having such a diverse and interesting rogues gallery but lame in that everyone mostly wants their own crack at writing a Joker story. Thus he gets cycled like crazy.

redbackground posted:

I would looove a stripped down Batman (uh, err, you know). I would be so happy never to have to launch a glue/rubber/snot grenade into the water ever again.

.... but my glue smash takedown! :ohdear:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I know they wouldn't really fit the aesthetic of the Arkham games, but I wonder if any Justice League members will ever be acknowledged in them.

There's a reference to Queen Industries in ACO, as well as a reference to Ferris Aircraft. I've read there there's also references to Steel and a certain Wonderwoman enemy as well.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

If you pay close attention to the labels on some of the random crates, as well as the billboards, you'll find a few well-known DC company names. The Queen Industries one is more prominent since it's a giant shipping container in the room where you fight Deathstroke.

Edit:

VVVV There's a big Blaze Comics thingy on the bridge.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 10, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

And the wonky out of character Two Face.

I remember reading somewhere that the Bat-movies were all about the villain in concept, if you were an actor and cast as one it was your duty to ham it up, go crazy and steal every scene since that's what Nicholson did to nail it. Carrey certainly went that way for his AADD-ridden Riddler.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

It seems like the game decides much earlier if you're struck by an attack or not than its previous entries. You need to be all over the counter button as soon as it's available, very late counters like a micro-second before you're tagged are effectively gone.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Skoll posted:

Just looking at that, I have to wonder if Bob Kane ever visualized something as goofy as a grown man in a grey and black suit with purple gloves just viciously beating the poo poo out of common street criminals.

Actually Kane first pictured Batman wearing fuscia, a domino mask and had stiff angel wings but Bill Finger made a very strong case for making Batman darker.

.... what could have been, man.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Fuzz posted:

This is why the next Arkham game needs top have Prometheus in it. Not as a main villain, but he'd make a good side plot as a dark side Bruce Wayne.

Next Arkham game is gonna be pretty hard-up for fresh villains.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

This series is still missing Bats suplexing a gator.

Sober posted:

Pretty sure all those slightly interesting side plot threads in City - Hush, Azrael - are gonna get dropped because MORE JOKER HERE

I forgot about those. Hopefully we get some of those threads touched on next time, with a smidgen more focus on each villain. As cool as it is having Bats rough up his whole rogues gallery every night, it does downsize the villain screen time that an individual crook gets. Two-face was criminally underused in AC imho.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Welp, a worst nightmare challenge didn't save even though the game told me I got it and I exited much later so now I'm totally locked out of completing it at all as I'm already on NG+.

As fun as ACO was that's a dealbreaker. Interest completely dead.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Kaizer88 posted:

The devs said when they were working on Arkham City that the reason they didn't add any vehicles was because they didn't feel like they could do Batman justice with them. Players would most likely crash into things and fumble around, ruining the whole super-competent image of Batman. Ofcourse, they probably never saw those people in this thread diving into the water all the time...

I can sort of see that though, Bats does a lot of fine auto-adjusting in flight and stuff so gliding and the like appears more competent than it really is sometimes. You can grapnel boost towards some pretty stupid ledges and not end up smashing your teeth into a wall right behind it since Bats'll automatically do a 90 degree turn midair. You can straight up steer him right into buildings but then he'll just cling to them and glide off like he meant for that to happen. Likewise, you can make him free-fall 50 stories onto pavement but then he'll just do a cool pose when he lands.

You'd have to give him a Batmobile that dodges people/civilian cars like grapnel boost dodges walls while letting it do things like 180 degree turns off walls, like the Bat Pod does in the Nolan movies, to name a few things.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"he could know but chooses not to investigate it."

In particular Bats offered up his identity to Gordon in No Man's Land. If you look around you can probably find pictures of Batman with his cowl off in front of Gordon whose just clenching his eyes and saying 'nuh uh! I don't want to.'

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 15, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Man, gently caress Bane. Doing those fights on "I Am the Night" is going to be about as fun as slamming my balls in a car door.

I might not even bother.

If I ever get around to IATN mode I'm gonna get real mad at video games because of the QTs whose failure kills you, the Bane fight(s) and probably Diamond District.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

I am the night mode is a lot more fun than I thought it would be so far, it also let me finish off the worst nightmare track and get the point counter-point cheevo. Playing like your life means something feels fantastic :allears:

Copperhead did manage to thrash me to mere milimeters of my life though, can't wait to see what Bane does to me :shepicide:.

• Locked thread