Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Speaking of Predator challenges that don't unlock, what's the deal with finishing a Predator encounter without takedowns? I get that it involves beating the poo poo out of people noisily, but it's not triggering for me off rooftop fights, the GCPD roof or the Final Offer - do I seriously need to get this done in one of the story rooms? It's super-bullshit that the challenges don't unlock in Challenge Mode, so much so that I really hope this is a bug, not a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

I'm pretty sick of the "Well, convicts would be saying that stuff!" excuse for the thug dialogue. This is a comic book game, not a linguistic survey of the incarcerated. There is no loving authenticity to cling to.

There is a difference between sexy and exploitative. Although the comics themselves have a very mixed track record with it, most adaptions of Catwoman in other media get that. I mean, poo poo, Batman Returns has Michelle Pfeiffer strutting around in an outfit that launched a thousand fetishes but she doesn't go through the movie with other male characters constantly and casually threatening to sexually assault her.

This is not a matter of realism. "Realism" is the loving Godwin of video game arguments. There is all kinds of bullshit in games where the only justification people can seem to come up with is that it's "realistic". gently caress that. One, it almost never is, it's just what people imagine real life to be based on their own preconceptions. Two, even it is, I'm not playing a game where random poo poo from real life is thrown in. What you need instead is verisimilitude, that is, something that feels real for the world you're portraying. You want Catwoman to be sexy, fine, go nuts. You want her to be a tease, hot drat, look at who she actually has feelings for and who's so stodgy that it'll actually be funny to tease him a little. You want Arkham City to be a horrible shithole, yeah, we got that part. But you don't need a whole prison of misogynist would-be rapists to sell any of that.

So, this is a matter of treating your characters - all your characters - with some basic respect instead of going "she's so fine everybody wants to rape her and rawr she's such a tease too SO HAWT". The portrayal of Catwoman in Arkham City is sexist as hell. There's no excuse for it. Full stop.

fake edit: f,b. Basically what Phylodox said. I'm not even arguing against Two-Face calling her a bitch - I could do without it, but sprinkle a few of those in and I'll go with it. It's the actual threats of sexual assault from the thugs that's very much not cool.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

The big deal is that it's a) lazy writing, b) a disservice to the character and c) sadly just another example of how female characters are portrayed negatively in video games.

Compare and contrast the bad guys in the Tomb Raider reboot, who are on paper the same deal: murderous psychos stranded in a hellhole of a place for years who want to do very bad things to Lara Croft. Except it's not played for a "haha stripper pole fighting moves" joke and the game takes the time to get you into Lara's headspace and make you empathize with her.

For all the good parts of Arkham City (and I've 100% this poo poo, so it's not like there's not plenty of good stuff that kept me coming back), it has deep, deep problems in how it treats its characters. The sexism against Catwoman serves no narrative purpose, it's just bad writing. Regardless of whether you think that's actively a strike against the game worth discussing, can we at least agree that it could have been handled much better?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Are we talking about the character who is a master burglar, and does wisecracks everytime she's in any situation at all, no matter how dangerous it is, and succeeds, either through her own will, or with the help of batman?

All of which she could easily do with a zipped-up costume and less misogynist crap targeted at her. Come on. You can have your sexy, confident, thrillseeking master thief. But the game needs to do a better job of presenting her as such instead of constantly hitting us over the head with demeaning dialogue.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Kin posted:

The big things that really got me about the Uncharted series as well as Tomb Raiser is that Drake and Lara turn into brutal mass murderers without even so much as a reflection on all of the poo poo they've done.

Drake is like "ooh shiny, oh poo poo, the roof's falling in" while a small town worth of corpses lay bleeding behind him, each killed by his own hands in volume that would make Jack Bauer jealous.

It's the same with Lara, she's supposed to be this fairly innocent/adventurous girl at the beginning, but at the end of the game, after a day or two of murdering the poo poo out of about 50+ people, she just has a new steely demeanour instead of chronic, "oh gently caress, what have I just gone through" (IIRC).

Before i read up and started playing Tomb raider, I had hoped that it would incorporate a violence/passive storyline path, i.e. the more violent you were the more hosed up your dialogue and gameplay became until you get the "violence" ending (sorta like infamous, but more subtle) and vice versa, maybe even incorporating a few things from Spec ops the line that gave you the choice to be be bloodthirsty or restrained.

The writer apparently fought pretty hard on this, making it take a good long while before you even get a weapon and then making it a bow, so the violence kind of has at least a little room to ramp up at the start - I imagine further branching (which I would have loved, too) simply ran against the realities of game-making. There's a delicate balance between being true to your characters and making a game that's accessible to a mass audience. Tomb Raider arguably gets more right than it messes up, but sure, there's plenty to criticise here.

Unfortunately, as long as the basic gameplay loop is "defeating other humans", you're gonna be stuck with games where characters simply have incredibly high body counts. For some characters like Nathan Drake, it's actively unsettling. For a select few, it works pretty well. (Anybody remember the 2005 Punisher video game?) But yeah, if you want to change that, you need to shake up the basic gameplay pretty hard.

To bring this back to Batman: anybody else not really buying the "Batmobile tasers criminals so they don't get run over" thing they've purportedly included? I sure as hell don't want to run over people as Batman, but maybe that could have been solved by having thugs run away and dodge into narrow side alleys when the Batmobile approaches. I guess we'll see how it works in a preview or something, but color me skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, you can't set explosive traps anymore unless you got it from BB. The gently caress?

I'm kind of glad this is the last Arkham game now if WB is going to do poo poo like this..

I'm 99% certain it's just an early unlock of an upgrade you would otherwise have to earn with experience points in game. Tomb Raider also had preorder packs that featured early skill unlocks.

• Locked thread