Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

I've always considered an expansion pack reusing almost all old assets and providing a new story and that's pretty much what it has been used to imply. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a really successful series is getting some COD treatment.

Thats pretty much Arkham City. It used like 90% of Asylums assets outside of the asylum itself while providing a new story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Arkham Origins is actually just a re-release of Arkham City, only now all the horses from the original game have armor.

I would totally be down for riding a horse as Batman after an EMP burst turns off everything in the city. Oh, and trampling rioters (but non-lethally of course)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

washow posted:

I was about to post a cautious "the impacts from strikes look not as good as Rocksteady ones but the game's still early so they'll work on it" but no! The game's done and they're doing some minor finishing touches right now.

Almost definitely I'll buy it anyway.

To be fair, none of the free flow combo system rip-offs are as good as the ones from Rocksteady. Sleeping Dogs had the closest feel to it, but it was nowhere near as polished, other examples like Captain America and Amazing Spider-Man did an okay job, but few developers have managed that brutal feel for that style of combat despite doing a good job of imitating it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

washow posted:

I didn't realize some games tried to copy(?) arkham's combat system. Honestly to this day, it is the best

It has some problems, like a rather bland method of standard attack, made up for by the surprising number of counter and strike animations in Asylum alone, and it doesn't work well in 1 v 1 or with non-humanoid enemies. However, for beating the poo poo out of 10+ dudes at once, it is the best system for it.

I cannot recommend Sleeping Dogs enough if you like Arkham combat (not as polished, but it actually is more brutal than the freeflow combat of the arkham series) and GTA style open world gameplay. Breaking peoples legs and arms causes all other enemies nearby to wince and recoil in horror at what they just saw your character do to that poor, poor, man.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

How big/detailed is the world in terms of places to go and things to do compared to other games in the genre (Saints Row/GTA4)?

Its decent sized representation of hong kong. No air travel not as big as the games you mentioned, but ground only travel makes it seem bigger. it's big enough that taxis can teleport you like in GTA4, but only to certain areas (parking garages, clothing stores, and missions) as opposed to custom points. But, if you have a motorcycle in opposing traffic and do a wheelie, any car that isn't a lorry/big rig turns into an automatic ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcWtBtsBKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

On topic:

If the city is bigger than AC, is there any chance in hell for a vehicle? Not even the Batmobile, but just some kind of bat-transport?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 21, 2013

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

It'll come to PC. Rocksteady is a pretty big PC supporter, and was one of the early adopters of PhysX.

Pretty much, just wait several months to garner more people buying consoles (that is, if WB is smart at least, since its a win/win situation to do it that way) and then a nice PC version will arrive with new bells and whistles for those who burn more money on a gaming pc than the cost of a new console.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I just hope they keep the controls as simple as they have been for the first two games. I love that fighting is mostly based around timing your attacks rather than remembering some rote fighting game-esque pattern of button mashes to simply punch a guy. My biggest fear is that some dev will get the idea that making the fighting system more complex will somehow improve the game.

It would, so long as you don't change the punch, stun, run/dodge, counter, and quick gadgets. Add in a new throw move or some thing as a new combination of buttons and it's fine. Just don't gently caress with the basics when you add to it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

redbackground posted:

It would appear that Bullock is going to show up in some way, as well.

gently caress YES! Best cop in all of the GCPD!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

How many years before City does this take place? Nightwing was in City, so it makes sense for Dick to show up as a kid in this one, even if Batman is 'newish.'

Actually, he was the only challange mode character not in the base game. He never stepped foot in Arkham City. I do kind of hope Robin makes another cameo since the model is already done rather than just have him "there" for challange and multiplayer similar to Nightwing.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

So I can't read the article at either Joystick or Kotaku, but 2 questions about the MP that might have been answered

1) Is it just a "one life" scenario for any of the teams (Batman gets killed once and that player has to sit and observe for the rest of the match) or will there be multiple respawns?

2) Is the win condition that all other teams are beaten/dead? Team bat wins when all thugs on both teams are defeated, the bad guys win when both the Bats and the other team are dead.

I can see where strategy as the bad guys will become very important.

I think it would be really cool to test yourself against someone with the Bat tech. Playing as Batman, the thugs seem exceedingly oblivious to what we are doing, but since we know how the bat plays, do you focus on shooting up gargoyles and looking through the grates, or do you and a buddy walk back to back? I'm sure there will be some classes that can jam Batman's Radar, making them high priority targets.

Also, as the bad guys, do you team up at the start to try and take out Batman, or is it every man for himself?

Articles mention mutliple batman deaths in a round and Batman and Robin get intimidation points from doing cool variations of take downs and massive bonuses for taking down head honchos like Bane.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shnag posted:

Not sure if I like the 3rd person view for the gang members. It would have been more balanced if their view was first person, and they had to at least peak their head around a corner to see, rather then just adjusting their view. Would have given really sweet view points of take downs. Batman strings you up and you view flips over too. Then your vision fades out as you pass out. Maybe have an option to try to hold out to be woken up. From the game play I saw it looked way too hard to be batman and robin. It looked like they did more annoying then being threatening.

That would only work if the whole game was like that. It would be way too jarring otherwise.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Haha, so's the singleplayer.

No, the single player has been made by the same guys since the games announcement while Rocksteady works on the next-gen version.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Skychrono posted:

Just look forward to the next-gen Batman Beyond game they'll announce at the next Comic-Con guys. Imagine the next-genniness of it. Mmmm.

It would be a 3DS exclusive and be side scrolling spiritual-sequel to Brave and the Bold beat em up if that ever happened.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TheCoon posted:

Arkham Asylum/City are supposedly two of the games getting switched over. Arkham Origins is using Steamworks from the off. USFIV is using Steamworks but I doubt Capcom will go back and fix AE, Rockstar would probably rather you bought GTAV than fix GTAIV.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 (four lazy rear end ported chars, a new char, and some lazy rear end stages + balance patch) for PC will not have GFWL.

Edit: Nm, didn't see you mention it the first time.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If this game truly is meant to be about origins, maybe Joker isn't an assassin, but Red Hood is? It'd be an elegant combination of his "mob hitman" and "gentleman thief" origins.

I guess the big question I have is, is this game also going to awkwardly force its events into a "one rough night" timeframe? Because that premise was extremely strained in AC, and I'd frankly like to see a more episodic Batman game.

The whole game takes place on Christmas Eve. If it wasn't a one-night only kind of thing the threats of fighting 8 assassins wouldn't really be a threat since he could rest up and prepare to specifically meet every one and beat them in 20 seconds because he's the goddamn Batman.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

pssst one of them is going to be K.G beast.

Holy gently caress, that would be awesome. Even better if he was voiced by whomever did English Zangief in the Street Fighter 4 series/Street Fighter x Tekken

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Lady Shiva has to be in. I don't know how they'd make a fight with her and do it justice though. It obviously has to be a one-on-one, close quarters battle; and it should be more intimate and detailed than the current combat system. Press 'Y' to dodge the best martial artist in the world just won't feel cool.

its already been confirmed that there will be enemies that will counter you in the game, so having people dodge the greatest martial artist in the world is gonna be in the game anyway. That being said, a battle between Batman and Shiva where two of the most highly trained fisticuff badasses in the DCU would kind of suck due to exposing some of the combat systems limitations.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Directly above Bats right shoulder (on your left).

Who is that to the left of Deadhshot? is that someone confirmed or am I to still hold out hope it's nobody's favorite insane one-handed Russian merc?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Siroc posted:

According to this Slickdeals thread, AC GOTY is $6. GOTY includes Catwoman, Nightwing, Robin, Harley Quinn's Revenge, Challenge Maps, and the extra skins.

I own AC, but only have Nightwing, Robin, Challenge Maps, and the Skin Pack. Is it worth it just buying this to finish up everything?

If I add that key to my account, will it just upgrade my existing AC game, or will it put a new entry into my game list?

how do you not have Catwoman on the PC version?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.

just get two friends to log on with you (unless the server is down) and grind them out.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was exactly this, plus him severely underestimating Bane. You can see in the scene where Alfred sees the footage of Bane fighting and talks about 'The League of Shadows resurgent', while Bruce's attitude is 'whatevs I can take him':smug:. He didn't see Bane's strength coming and got his rear end kicked. Round 2 was after months of hardcore training and gaining full knowledge of just how tough and intelligent Bane was. And even then, Bane still had him on the ropes before he went tactical and broke the mask.

Pretty much. Nolan Batman was a goddamned idiot through and through and a lovely detective when he was in his prime so it shouldn't be surprising that he got his rear end handed to him by RUNNING STRAIGHT AT BANE with no tactics whatsoever.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'd love to see DLC packs that cover things like this. Sleeping Dogs handled DLC very well - it didn't quite fit into the main story at all and broke the rules of the universe to some extent (at least with the Halloween one), totally justifying its existence as DLC.

Zodiac Tournament and Year of the Snake take place after the main game. You are correct about Nightmare in North Point though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

raditts posted:

Is it going to be different from the PS3/360 versions somehow? Aside from better graphics I guess.

it will probably be a port of the PC version since most titles aren't taking full advantage of the new hardware at launch and are just ports of other titles anyway.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Do you have to beat story mode to use any additional costumes in challenge mode? I know I downloaded the knightfall pack and signed in to get the 1 million skin but I can't select them, or Deathstroke for that matter.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Does New Game plus on normal still have counter icons? The game says they are now tied into whether or not hints are on or not, and the lack of counter icons is the only reason I never bothered with it in AC. But with the lovely tech tree unlocks it seems like a better option more and more.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem is the Hanging Ledge takedown which can only be used in extremely few areas in extreme specific situations. If they'd used any other kind of takedown that challenge would be trivial.

No it's the explosive takedown due to it requiring a weak wall and not plywood. The only place I can think of where the challenge could easily be done is the GCPD bullpen. Everything else is quite possible at the bank and church among others.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

See, I actually really miss Catwoman in this. Don't get me wrong, I thought the content there was super barebones and not great, but that was exactly the problem. It was obviously a thing that was cut down in order to use it as DLC. I would imagine if Catwoman was a part of the full game, they'd have done a lot more; new gadgets instead of only 3 reskins of Batman's stuff, things like that. And it made for a nice postgame change of pace to run around the city in afterwards.

I never really dug Catwoman in AC. I always thought it was weird for Selina Kyle to take on 10 people effortlessly in hand to hand combat when she usually outsmarts and sneaks past obstacles since shr can handle herself, but not on the same level as Batman and those who trained under him. She is just as stealthy as them though and it would be interesting to have her use completley different methods to accomplish the same goals if she was ever implemented in a Catwoman game that has her go on different heists in different non-gotham cities and sneak past most obstacles to get to the score at the end, but that would never happen. :(

THE CHORSE posted:

-LT+LT Batarang
-RT+RT Glue Grenade

Those need commas to be a lot less confusing, unless you found a way to to press RT while holding RT at the same time.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 29, 2013

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

There is no way that Rocksteady are going to make an Arkham game again, nor is there any way that if Origins sells well, the Arkham series will be discontinued. It'll probably be outsourced.

Kevin Conroy leaked something involving him in a Batman game that wasn't Arkham Origins when asked about if he was in it in some Q&A a year or so ago.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

But Keaton owns and 1989 Batman was the best so it kind of evens out.

This is a terrible way of spelling Mask of the Phantasm.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I think probably my favorite Joker moment ever is in that film :allears:

The Phantasm has caught him and is about to kill him, Batman is there pleading for sanity, suddenly there's a HUGE explosion in the amusement park and Joker just gapes in astonishment in silence for a few seconds.... and then just bursts out laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing before he and the Phantasm disappear into the mist. I'll always remember that visual of the Joker barely able to stand, held up by the Phantasm with his head thrown back essentially screaming with laughter.

That plus the amazing opening theme music and the scene where the GCPD hunt down Batman... God, what a movie.

That was a great soundbite but there is one scene that forever sold me that Mark Hamill is the best Joker ever on film and that was when he first meets Sal Valestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVy9DFwT-4o

"a nice big SMILE!"

I love how he makes you laugh at the absurdity of the situation, before implying just how nasty he can be, despite it only really being shown once in the actual movie.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Is it possible to complete multiple Dark Knight challenges in one area if they are done in sequential order? I'm specifically wondering if I do Worst Nightmare rank 10 and take down a dude with an exploding batarang, and use 5 different takedowns on everyone else would it count for both challenges 10 and 11 or just 10 and I have to do 11 in a different predator encounter?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Generally, depends.

On that specific one, sure. The notification for the sonic batarang takedown happens as soon as you do it (opposed to the few that pop up at the end up the predator room like #11 would presumably), so yeah you could do that and then do the five different takedowns (or four then I suppose). But I'm pretty sure you don't even need to be in a predator room for batarang one, any of those armed goons always patrolling the roofs should work.

I only ask since I'm at Firefly at the bridge but don't remember if I get another crack at free roam before Finding Alfred and going to blackgate and since I'm playing on easy (makes it feel more like you are a superhero) there is no new game + if I can't get it done, and I already completed the other trees. I'll crack open my post game save on normal for NG+ and blow through the remaining ones if need be.

Is there a way to make the concussion grenade detonate faster without freeflow gadgets in combat or in predator sequences. I like it better as a concept than the tazer gun fron AC since it is more likely to be used as a weapon by Batman, but it just isn't nearly as useful despite being cool as gently caress.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Started New Game+ Where's the first room I can do the propane take predator challenge?

Any combat room with a propane tank will work. Just knock two guys down while a third stands next to them, zip line the standing thug into the propane tank. 3 dudes down and challenge complete.

Kin posted:

I've double checked and the predator challenge to beat up the bad guys with your bare hands doesn't work on the rooftops like some of the others do. I tested it on a couple of rooftops in Burnley including the GCPD rooftop but no dice.

I know some people have claimed you can do some of them on the roofs but i'm pretty sure it's either bugged (PC version) or it only applies to some of the challenges (obviously not the ones that involve grates/vents/walls/etc).

That is the worst challenge of all of them. It DOES work on rooftops, but is very finicky in a predator room or rooftop. I got mine on top of the Sionis steel mill (the roof of the building, not the entrance with the milti-level stairs) after several tries on the GCPD roof and the drug lab inside the mill. I also got the last combat challange (50+ hit w/ 15 variations) like 5 minutes after completing the fight itself, so the challange system is just loving stupid. Just keep trying.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2013

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I think that last combat challenge keeps track of the three different conditions separately. I had gotten a 15 variation combo after unlocking that challenge, but didn't hit the 50 hit until much later and, as soon as that fight ended, I got the credit.

Are propane tanks the red ones that guys can throw or the big standing ones? I thought it was supposed to be the standing ones.

Nope the little gas grill red propane tanks are the ones that work. I didn't even know there were larger ones unless you are refering to the titan vats/black mask drugs(same shape and texture as AC) related to his sidequest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7APAAzwKH9A#t=1654

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kin posted:

I dunno what to tell you, but i just tried that rooftop then tried all of the gun manned rooftops in the nearby vicinity and nothing. You might have got it inside the drug lab and it's just been a bugged delay in giving it to you.

I got the final combat challenge one over the course of the first 2 fights in black gate (it popped after i did basic fighting against the second small group of 3 guys). The whole thing is bugged as gently caress.

Are you going gung-ho and just whooping the poo poo out of them like Batman does in every other medium? Because to make it work you still have to separate the individuals from the group and beat them up one by one.

In the video I linked earlier it shows that sometimes you can get lucky by beating the poo poo out of a single sniper, but it's not super reliable.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Quine Connoisseur posted:

How the gently caress do you unlock the thing where you lure someone into a takedown with a Sonic Batarang? I've tried putting them under gargoyles and then doing a takedown, putting them by destructible walls and then blowing them up, and also putting them by glue grenade mines and then doing a "glue smash" (ugh) takedown. Is there something I'm missing here?

take a guy down loudly, find vantage point, throw batarang in path of dude rushing to check on the fallen guy, when he gets close detonate.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

Currently, I'm stuck at the propane challenge one.

For the life of me, I can't get the goons to stay clumped together enough for it to work. I can lure three of them to one spot easy enough (I typically use a sonic to lure a fourth guy, then do a loud take-down on him to get the remaining three to run to that spot.)

But then getting two of the guys to be on the floor always ends up either spreading them too far from each other, or too far from the third guy who the tank hits. best I've gotten is 2/3.

What's the best way to get the two to go down, but not be knocked out, and stay put? I typically throw a couple bataransg at them, but that always sends them flying too far. I can't figure out a surefire way to make them on the ground. I read a thing that said use the remote claw to smash them together, but I can't get that to work. The remote claw ALWAYS defaults to wanting to smash one guy into the nearby propane tank...I can never get it to want to smash the guys together.

I linked a video earlier that should help. Basically, the easiest way is to use combat rooms with propane tanks, knock down two guys next to propane tank (which is easy if you just stand next to it. Wait for another guy to approach you and the other two... then zipline the third guy into a propane tank and all three are down.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

AC is a great game for the gameplay, but trying to replay it after I finished Origins makes the story and characters seem laughably bad. I never realized just how much I disliked the story in AC until now.

I don't see why. I mean AC is still the best licensed game ever made, and the plot is exactly what it should be: a lovely reason to have Batman beat the gently caress out of a bunch of his villains. It was the same in Origins, but slightly better since they had the whole Assassins plot to make it seem slightly less ridiculous. I do agree about the characterization, but the plots are just as good as they need to be.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I asked this recently and people said yes, but then I hopped in and tried to unlock the Shadow Vigilante Rank 9 challenge that was refusing to unlock for me, and I still couldn't get it unlocked despite multiple crime reports where I pulled it off with a minimal (read: zero) delay.

Unless those unlocks are tied to story progression and you can't unlock certain ranks until you hit some point in the story (that's not one that requires a gadget) then nope, it's still broken, sadly.

So, as long as you don't attempt the arduous challange system it's fine? Because that is far from a major bug like falling through the city or being straight unable to complete certain mandatory sections of the game. I'm fairly sure those have been fixed, but the only major bug I've had in 2 playthroughs is some riddler goons glitching so I can't interrogate them and that's post-game only.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Ironically, it's a Batman mask. :iamafag:

Just have it be Thomas Wayne's bat costume (not the flashpoint one) for some retarded comic reference goodness. Bonus points if people look at you in terror after ordering a drink in the Batman voice.

"You are going to tell me where to get a martini. NOW!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Keeku posted:

Those preview pictures for the DLC look pretty cool. The concept art of the building reminds me a lot of the Batman Begins building in the mountain Bruce trained at (which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's inspired from).

I hope the DLC is similar in length to Harley Quinn's Revenge for City (although more interesting, I hope!)

Harley's Revenge was very different from a challenge map.

• Locked thread