Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If rocksteady is doing a next gen game, that would probably be the only thing that would make me buy one of the new systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Klungar posted:

PS3 has gotten exclusive content that the Xbox didn't get in both of the previous games, so I don't know if I'd expect any different here.

They got the Joker maps in Asylum, and they're getting some costumes in this, what did PS3 players get for City?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I can't read the article at either Joystick or Kotaku, but 2 questions about the MP that might have been answered

1) Is it just a "one life" scenario for any of the teams (Batman gets killed once and that player has to sit and observe for the rest of the match) or will there be multiple respawns?

2) Is the win condition that all other teams are beaten/dead? Team bat wins when all thugs on both teams are defeated, the bad guys win when both the Bats and the other team are dead.

I can see where strategy as the bad guys will become very important.

I think it would be really cool to test yourself against someone with the Bat tech. Playing as Batman, the thugs seem exceedingly oblivious to what we are doing, but since we know how the bat plays, do you focus on shooting up gargoyles and looking through the grates, or do you and a buddy walk back to back? I'm sure there will be some classes that can jam Batman's Radar, making them high priority targets.

Also, as the bad guys, do you team up at the start to try and take out Batman, or is it every man for himself?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MP looks like a lot of fun, though it clearly needs some cleanup. I don't think you should be able to see a big white "Enemy" marker through walls (unless that's some Bane/Joker specific thing as they don't have thug vision presumably)

There was a part where the enemy's shadow could be seen on the outside of the short wall he was hiding behind, giving the opposing team an easy target.

Some of the animations seemed to take a while to register, especially with Bane's Ground pound. Some of this could have been lag, I imagine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

The average thug is pretty slow, has a massive grace period for counters and does not perform counters themselves. Shiva would not be any of those things. The regular combat could work quite well with just a much smaller window for mistakes and maybe an utterly frantic pace, with just the change that counter functions only as a block now, not as a block-counter-attack. Attacking her ,too overtly outside a window of opportunity, could prompt counter-attack from her however.

You can also do extra Batman-y things like having to use gadgets to throw her off balance (but a particular trick would only work once) or use the environment to create bigger openings.

So kind of like the Freeze fight where tricks only work once, but with more focus on a brawl? I can get behind that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

I also think the multiplay looks kind of neat (first time seeing it outside of trailer, I don't really consider that something I don't want spoiler since it's not the campaign) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be like the early Splinter Cell multiplayer and everybody is going to memorize every hidden position the dynamic duo/Sam Fisher can hide in and pre-emptively shoot and grenade it.

But the thug teams are working against each other as well as team Batman. So, sure, you as a thug could camp out a few gargoyles and snipe/grenade as soon as you saw something moving up there. But while you are doing that, the other thugs could come in and waste you. I really think the best option for Batman players is to let the thugs wear themselves down/dwindle their numbers and then go on the offensive. Not a very Batman way to play, but practical.

quote:

Hopefully there's a counter to thugs using detective vision because I'd just flash that everytime I'd take a corner to counter anyone trying to corner takedown.

Also this. I don't recall if it's on a timer/cooldown or what, but if a team of thugs can really co-ordinate and flush out bats, well hell. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finally in the post-game, slowly wrapping up the Enigma data packs. But it wouldn't be Origins without a glaring bug to annoy the hell out of me.

Is there a ninth case file to complete? I've got 8/9 listed, and the game handed me the achievement for beating all the case files, but the counter says I've done 88%.

There's the oldest unsolved murder case in Gotham where you have to find seven plaques all over the city and solve that crime, that could be it (Haven't finished it myself, yet. Only found one :()

I don't know, I almost feel like I'm in the minority in how much I enjoy this game. Save for an issue with not being able to load the game at all the first few times I tried (WBID login freezing the game, disconnected internet to fix that) it's been beautiful, smooth sailing thus far (XBOX). I'm guessing that I'm about 60% done with the game just got past the part where you play as Joker, please WB give me more of this, even if it's just a challenge map. I've stopped doing story at this point, going around and getting the Enigma trophies and Black Mask/Penguin Doo-dads.

Batman's superpower in this game is apparently his super dickishness. I mean just going apeshit on poor old Alfred just seems like the ultimate dick move.

Also, Enigma raises some good points. With what he's doing, he's blackmailing people into behaving - sort of. I mean, at least it's less violent than breaking people's legs to scare them straight. And like Batman, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. But no, only Batman is allowed to go vigilante in "his" city.

Couple questions
1) Are there more AR challenges than the 5 on the bridge? I'm cool if not, but they are so much easier than the AC ones, I'm just expecting reality to come crashing in at any moment to spoil my fun.

2) What is the "I am the Knight" mode?

3) Are there any goon groups for multiplayer? I really don't think I'll bother if it is all pubbies.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Well, I just got my first real "gently caress that" glitch.

Was working on getting Data packs and picked up one on the North side, and went to go to the map to find the next one. That same pack that I just picked up shows on he map and in the Riddler To Do list. I'm a little upset that I may have to go through the collect a thon all over again.

In general, I still really like the game though, and I was going to play it again anyway, so no huge loss. More annoying than anything.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

Is it right by the one you got by touching three pressure pads by leaping off the opposite building wall? If so, go to Bane's Hideout/the sewers (located down the street to the west). The icon is making you think the datapack is by that same building, but it's actually underground.

Oh, well, that might explain it. I can't get inside they yet (plot locked) but I feel better about it now. Thanks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Beat the game the other night. As others have said, the last boss encounter is really disappointing, but I'd say up until that point, the story was great.

Post game, it seems to be freezing a LOT, and for no real reason. Not transitioning into buildings, not quick traveling. Just gliding around.

The Gordon mission at the end had one of my favorite things thus far (spoilers, just to be safe):

PRISONER: Jingle.....bells.....Batman.....smells.
BATMAN: No. *Choke slam*

I thought that the general chat between the thugs was pretty good this time around. Especially when you get around to beating up the last guy in a group and he panics saying "I wasn't with those guys!"

Now, if there's one thing I want to see in the next Batman game, it has to be the option to co-op the whole campaign. Let me pick between Robin, Batgirl or Nightwing to go along with Batman. We could choose from 3 or 4 Robin costumes back in AC, wouldn't be that hard to find a few for Batgirl or Nightwing (even toss in that horrible disco Nightwing number from the 70's.)

Double simultaneous predator rooms? gently caress yes. A handful of Riddler puzzles that can more easily be solved by two people? Yes.

It can't be that hard to have a cut scene see if you've got one player or two and then play the appropriate video to go along.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe this is worth a general discussion prompt:
In one sentence, how would you have implemented a bossfight against the following Batman villains(or others not appearing in the games)?

[*]Joker

A fight with the Joker should be different compared to what we see with other characters. It should be a fight like it was in City, but he has different moves that come out randomly. Sure, he can punch, and you can counter that, but he also has a joy buzzer attack that acts like the tazer guys (can't counter, must dodge). Similarly, he could have a knife attack, you can dodge, but not takedown. You can do disarm/destroy, but he just pulls another knife from his jacket. Instant takedowns are dodged immediately, like in city, so if you pull that poo poo it kills your combo. Maybe have him act a bit like the psychos from Asylum (I forget their gimmick)

[*]The Mad Hatter
Have it be a pain in the rear end, but I see two parts. One where he has a team of mind controlled goons, like always, but he's there in the fray as well, popping in and out. If you go to target him directly, he just pops out and some random mook takes place, until he's the last man standing. Also, detective vision "works", but it makes things look bright and cheerful. Like Carebears or something just really out of place. The second gimmick is that the counter indicator colors are swapped, so normal attacks show red, blade attacks are blue and shield/charge/tazer attacks are yellow. You have to pay attention or re-train your brain. Or I guess you could just dodge everything, but where's the fun in that?

[*]Freeze
I think we already got as good as we will with Freeze

[*]Scarecrow
I can see having fun with a mind gently caress predator level in a way. Think of any standard predator room from Asylum or City. There are gargoyles, grates, vents, destructible walls, whatever. Two parts to this. First, the guys on patrol have a few powers at their disposal. First, they are creepy looking monster style guys (Like how batman looks at about midgame here). Second, while they have a set patrol path in general, they can vanish at random intervals. So you would set up a corner takedown, get ready to pounce, and then *poof* guy disappears into thin air. Only to re-appear a short time later. The other idea I had was that periodically in the room, creepy things would happen. If you are sitting on a gargoyle, it will turn to look at you and say something or maybe alert the guys below "He's on my head guys! Over here!" Crawling in a vent or a grate and looking out might have some sort of jump scare pop up to break your concentration.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It still happens, but I've found that I usually end up attacking one of the two guys just before the counter icon flashes and then countering guy two.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think that's another small thing that bothers me about this game. In the first two, there were little hidden objects to find and "photograph" everywhere, and each and every one would be linked to a paragraph or two of back story and Bat-history. It featured characters that didn't appear in the game. AA had stuff for Mr Freeze and Two-Face, among others.

And it appears that the objects are all there in this one. Plenty of things to scan. Penguin's family portrait, several movie posters, there's a Queen Industries shipping crate somewhere. It's almost like they were going to have them, and then they got pulled at the last minute.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Guy grew up in a prison. He's got a thing about bars.

Originally read this as "He's got a thing about bras".

Dude's the size of a house. I'd imagine bras in his size are hard to come by.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

Penguin's gimmick has traditionally been that he's as clever at Bats but too much of a wreck to capitalize on it, he's only good at cqc in so far as a couple of a goons wouldn't be enough to take him down. I guess that's pretty good compared to rogues like the Riddler.

See, and now I kind of want a playable Penguin DLC. He doesn't get all the same gadgets, but he has a trick umbrella. It can deflect bullets like Robin's shield in AC, it has three bullets that are instant kills, and the dodge animation turns the end into a helicopter that lets him make a quick escape. Maybe even go kind of old school and have one option be good old Penguin knock out gas for an area stun attack.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

Finally beat this thing myself, pretty great but I feel like the lead up to Firefly was much better executed than the actual finale with the final boss.

Just out of curiosity, what takedowns can you do on Deadshot when he takes the hostage in the side mission? I ended up just conserving my silent takedown until last but surely they would give you more options than that, right?

That was the only one I was able to do on Deadshot himself. If you throw any batarang at him, he sees it, and you fail the mission. I didn't have the glue grenade when I beat him, but I doubt that works. Concussion grenade probably also fails. Disruptor doesn't target him, and he's armored so you can't use the claw to hoist him up to a gargoyle, plus he's out of range anyway. There's no vent or grates close enough to do one of those takedowns, so that's out.

As far as I know, that's the only way to finish that fight. You have a whole arsenal at your disposal, but nope. You have one way to complete the level.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They could have some cool Bruce Wayne moments, like having him bust out the detective work at a soiree or something sans detective mode.

I'd love this idea. You're playing as Bruce, when you spot something like one of the caterers is actually the Joker. Now you have to navigate through the crowd, and tail the Joker, without being noticed by thugs or arousing suspicion from the guests. I'm picturing a level from Hitman, where you have no weapons, and your goal is to just blend in as best you can, but you're probably one of the best known people around. Maybe things are easier if you make your way to a fire alarm to get people out of there. Or you find a balcony you can escape through.

poo poo, just for fun, have it take place during a Halloween party where Bruce is dressed like Superman. Or, to steal more from the latest Hitman, it's a masquerade ball, and the action button raises a mask to Bruce's face.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

In case anyone is interested, you get about $30 in store credit for trading this in at Gamestop right now. Just sayin, that's halfway to a new game.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

As others have said, I understand the reasons behind Batman's No Kill rule. But I find it absurd to have stories where the Joker walks around as a nominally free man (i.e. escaped from Arkham) and absolutely no one just shoots the rear end in a top hat.

If you read the comics for any sustained amount of time, Joker's body count would basically be a significant chunk of Gotham - everyone would have an aunt or uncle who died because of Joker's crazy schemes.

In the real world, absolutely. The second one of these madmen was out of view, they'd be dead.

But in the comics, there's two things protecting the crazies. First and most obvious is plot armor. But these guys are also incredibly good at appealing to the lowest common denominator and having a cadre of mooks surrounding them to absorb the stray bullet or blade.

And finally, in the case of the Joker especially, What happens if you miss? Because if you don't kill that guy on your first try, you won't likely get a second one.

Daryl Surat posted:

I went through the whole game seeing those Cyrus Pinkney plaques and holding the Detective Mode button on them only for the Environment Scanner to say "no subject detected." Turns out that it only counts if you are walking around in Detective Mode and THEN you activate the scanner. That makes sense for something like a hidden tag that's only visible in that mode, but the plaques are physical objects! When I finally realized my mistake, I thought "crap, now I'll never remember where those other ones were."

In the game's defense, you aren't scanning the plaques, but the diary pages that are inside the plaques.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Silentgoldfish posted:

How does the Batman One Million skin unlock? I signed up for the WB thing, verified, and restarted the game but it's not turning up. Bug or feature?

I could be mistaken, but I think that one is MP only. So no story mode, no challenge mode.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I really think for the next installment they should (and I hate how this sounds) make it a tad bit more like the GTA series.

What I mean is let you patrol the city and tackle crime and plot hooks as you see fit, investigate crime scenes, beat the poo poo out of thugs and all that (sort of like they've done in the last two games), but also give you access to the Batmobile, the copter, the motorcycle, the boat and all that poo poo too. You could still keep the gameplay and the combat as tight as they've always been but maybe add a touch of mobility and a sense of really monitoring and controlling Gotham that, to this point, has been largely scripted and dealt with through cut scenes.

Origins touches on it some by letting you visit the Batcave and quick travel, for instance, but I think it'd be pretty fun to drive the tumbler through the waterfall out of the Batcave, wreck it somewhere, and then pull the motorcycle out of it, so long it's done done properly and didn't feel gimmicky or tacked on. Up until now, all of the vehicles are done via cut scenes and every time one happens, I find myself wanting to drive/fly whatever it is Batman is doing.

You've basically just described Lego Batman 2, but with crime scenes.

ChibiSoma posted:

If Joker shows up in the next Arkham, it'd better be Troy Baker, it'd better be as just a cameo, and he'd better be singing more country songs because that was easily the best part of Origins. :v:

Actually, I kind of like it that if they do bring Joker back, have him be in game, but locked up in Arkham the whole time. Give him the same plexiglass room they gave to clayface in the first one. Let Batman come storming in, demanding to see the Joker, because he's convinced that he's behind whatever plot would be in game. But no matter what happens, Joker is there, at Arkham, behind the glass the whole game. And if you look using detective vision, you see that he's got a skeleton, so he aint clayface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

redbackground posted:

So you're saying there's a role for Brave and the Bold Aquaman?!

Outrageous!

• Locked thread