Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want that Gotham by Gaslight skin, but I have no money to buy the game, let alone a season pass. :(

What's the fourth skin in the Infinite Earths pack? It looks really familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

We almost got that actually.

I liked The Batman, I guess one of the few people who do, but man, I still don't understand that. Like they went back to the well of "Batman in high school" that gave us Batman Beyond, except not bothering to do any of the creative work that gave us Batman Beyond.

Edit: Well, I guess somebody got the idea at some point, since we didn't get it, but still.

Also reinstalling Arkham City right now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I hope the Riddler stuff is closer to Asylum than City. In Asylum, it felt just right, you had these trophies, you had these Batman trivia riddles, and I really liked that. With City it was more puzzles, and I am terrible at puzzles.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

I uh...Batman? :confused:

We are talking about Arkham City..right?

This is the reference.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo Batman is short. He barely comes up to everyone else's waist.

Somebody made an addon patch for GZDoom, and also had an additional version that, among other little changes, made Batman taller. The only downside is occasionally having to crouch through doorways or to climb up stairs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just got the Industrial District AR Training done in City. gently caress that. That is loving terrible. Just have one more, then I'll be down to finishing up the riddles. Saved the last hostage, now I need to find the Riddler.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I found some of the flying through rings achievements to be totally impossible without a gamepad. Other than that I was able to 100% the first two Batman games with just KB/M

I played AA and AC with KB/M, and I really like it. However, I think there are some slight changes or something between the PC version and the console version. I watched a couple videos trying to figure out how to beat the Industrial District AR challenge, and you apparently have to do it differently on the PC version compared to the console versions. Maybe because of the way the mouse works?

I did finish all of them, but drat, gently caress those.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

For my part, I want to see King Tut in the next one.

I'll boycott the next one if Egghead isn't in it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I really liked the Joker story in City, but just like in Origins, it overshadows too much of the rest of the game.

It's odd, I keep hearing people say this, but I never got this feeling at all (in City, don't have Origins yet). The Joker plot always felt like a B-Plot that happened to end after the main plot. It had some ties to the main plot, yes, but Strange and Ra's were the real villains.

And shield guys. I've been playing the challenge maps as Robin and they keep on getting the shield just as I'm about to hit them and it ruins my combo. Stun baton guys are more difficult, but shield guys are more annoying.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I have never done a disarm and destroy (or most of the combos, actually), and while playing the challenges as Robin I started to use them more, but I couldn't figure out why I couldn't disable the loving shields.

I desperately need Origins, I've finished every side quest, finished nearly all the Riddler Challenges in the city, got 65 medals in the challenge mode with Robin (20-something with Nightwing, and 0 with Batman and Catwoman), held back from 78 for the achievement by the extreme predator maps kicking my rear end. I don't even try to play to 100% everything but if I keep going I think I just might.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

* Well okay, maybe doing an inverted takedown on a thug with thermal goggles who has just scanned the gargoyle you're on and said,"There's nothing up there."

Definitely one of the best things. I'm also fond of cutting down guys I strung up with an inverted takedown while everybody's gathered around him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I'd like it if they brought in one of the newer threats like Court of Owls that have a city-wide scope. Something where Batman is broken down and stripped of much of his tech (too many gadgets) and builds himself back up (yay, new gadgets) could be pretty fun.

The labyrinth would make a pretty fun level.

Didn't Origins have a reference to them? I thought somebody posted a picture (I don't have it yet, so I can't confirm). I'd like to see that done, mostly because I'd like to see the last half done better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just wondering, is there any sort of mod for Arkham City (GOTY edition, if that matters) that'll let me use alternate costumes in story mode without beating the game first?

There's a code you can enter to do that. On PC, at the main menu, press left, left, down, down, left, left, right, up, up, down. You should hear bats and when you start your game you should be able to choose them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat! Any particular part of the main menu?

The main menu after you select your save slot.

Neo Rasa posted:

Even Man-Bat was originally created as a potential replacement for Batman.

Really? I never heard that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

If only we could erase Dan Didio from Hypertime and get a proper Bat-family game with Cass and Steph.

PS. Didio sucks donkey dick.

I agree with every part of this post.

Nthman posted:

Are we taking bets yet on who the main villain will be in the next Batman game?

Still going with the obvious choice: Egghead. Make it happen, Rocksteady.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

timeandtide posted:

and apparently during the climax you can find his dead soldiers scattered around parts of the map (they're not present before).

I thought I'd heard that was a big with some Two-Face thugs getting their textures messed up? I dunno, there's so many cool things that could happen with the new game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I found out about the Batman vs. Predator comics today, and apparently, alien hunter aside, the second comic's plot is actually pretty similar to Arkham Origins'.

I never thought about that. The second was my first comic, so I have a soft spot for it. The first one is far better though. I hope we get to see Alfred be badass in Knight, that's pretty much always awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Argh, I picked up Origins in the sale. I wanted to wait for the Gold Edition, but $15 for this and the season pass was too good to pass up. I've been following the thread, so I'm pretty certain I'm prepared for it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excels posted:

It's not like Origins is difficult, the only part I ever died more than once on was Deathstroke, because gently caress that guy.

More prepared as far as bugs and slight timing differences, I mean. The bosses sound mostly simple enough, save for Bane.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excels posted:

A word of caution; If you are swooping in to land on an area that is all fuzzy and not loaded yet, you will fall through the map, which can be really jarring.

Oh, just like my kitchen floor then.

Really what I'm worried about most is the upgrade path poo poo that sounds pretty bad. I really liked how the previous games did it, simple, the only locks being what missions you completed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, about ten minutes in and I hit my first bug. In the gas chamber, three guys run in. Two of them stood still and one ran around in a circle and after I beat them up the door wouldn't open. But that's ok, because when I punched it I just phased right through it and went on like nothing happened.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, having been playing it some more, I have to agree, something seems a little off with the combat. Maybe a bit of the camera and sometimes countering seems a little bugged. Like, I'll counter, but I'll do this weird little motion, I don't get hit, I don't counter hit, and my combo dies.

I also had some trouble with the challenges, I spent a while on the "Win a high threat combat situation with an A rank" and "Use a sonic batarang to distract an enemy and take them down." The window for the sonic batarang one is really tiny. And the combat one, after getting into a bunch of fights and either getting an A rank on a medium threat combat scenario or a B rank on a high threat one, I apparently finished the challenge when I used a vent takedown on a single officer in the GCPD building. I have no idea.

Oh, and sometimes when I'm gliding, Batman's body starts moving up and down. Like a hand fan or something. This game has a weird mix of bugs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished the bank mission, and tried to do the "do these four takedowns" challenge. I have never, ever done any kind of ledge takedown, so imagine my surprise when I don't get the challenge because I accidentally did a reverse ledge takedown instead of a hanging ledge takedown. After I spent so much time trying to set up the loving vent takedown, too!

And Mad Hatter's mission suuuuucked.

Also I wish I could use all those neat costumes I have, at least City had the code to let you use them any time (I think I only used the main costume a handful of times in City).

And finally, I was a little surprised to find that I apparently had Deathstroke? I have no idea why, I sure as Hell didn't preorder.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Unfortunately, that means you won't complete the Worst Nightmare stuff until New Game Plus. :smith:

Fuuuuck. It really is a terrible system.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, one thing I hope doesn't make a return in Arkham Knight, though it probably will? AR Challenges. gently caress AR Challenges. They sucked in City, they suck in Origins, and they sucked in Superman 64.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

It's also terrible for points, but I love dropping down behind the last guy standing and following him for as long as I can until he spins around to see me standing directly behind him.

Did you use the disruptor so that they try to shoot you first?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished the game. Don't think I'm going to try to capture Enigma though. gently caress that. I did it in Asylum and City.

I didn't mind the second Bane fight so much, but the bit after that sucked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh my God, the combat in the challenge mode really is better than in the story. I felt like I was in full control again. All that whiffing because the timing felt wrong was gone. Which means I should stop playing it so that I don't make Cold, Cold Heart a pain to get into when it drops.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Keeku posted:

Is there a difference? I've never noticed a difference between Origins story mode combat and Origins challange mode. Only thing I can think of is were you playing story mode on hard difficulty? Because I think challenge mode is normal difficulty.

No, I played on Normal. I'm not exactly what they changed, but in story mode I felt like my attacks were much slower, and I whiffed a lot more than in challenge mode.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Also, clearly a paedophile, too. Just when you thought he couldn't get more loveable.

That's been an occasionally reoccurring thing since Arkham Asylum (the comic). You should read it if you haven't, there are some horrifying references to it in Arkham Asylum (the game).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You know, I could have sworn I heard them say it was about the same length as Harley Quinn's Revenge at some point. Have they said how long it'll be recently?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I got that one completely by accident trying to get the one for doing a grapnel accelerator takedown on two guys on a roof. In fact, I think it fired for me after I took down the first guy and before the second guy.

At least I never fell through the floor.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just played a bit of it, did a patch roll out with it or something? Combat in Cold, Cold Heart feels a lot better than in the main game. I'm in the city, just got the codes to Gothcorp, I have no idea just how far in I am yet. I really like it so far. Something about it feels spot on.

Edit: vv Yeah, should be just above 'Online" in the main menu.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 23, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drat it. Never fell through the floor in the main game (I was super careful about not stepping on places that weren't fully rendered), so I never knew that My Alibi was so dangerous until reading these past few posts. I decided to play a bit, got to My Alibi, took a deep breath, and walked in. Didn't fall through the floor, yes. Beat up the guys, went into the back room, almost everything goes black. I can interrogate the guy though, so I try that. I get Batman holding up nothing, talking to nothing, getting nothing in response, but I guess I did it. At this point I'm thinking this is a weird visual glitch so I try to exit, which is easier since I can see doors for some reason, but hit an invisible wall I think, so I decide to reload, see if that fixes it. That's when the game decided t let me know I was falling through the world. Assuming they put out a patch, I'd have to start over, right? Not the worst that could happen, it's not terribly long and I am enjoying it, just mildly irritating.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiny patch dropped which fixed my infinite falling glitch in My Alibi.

Edit: And finished it. I liked it. The fight with Mr. Freeze kinda sucked because I kept on getting hit by him while trying to take out the last coolant thing, but overall, barring the glitches, it was pretty good. Like I mentioned, the combat felt better, more like the challenge maps than the main game, but I'm not certain if that's a platform specific thing. I never saw Heart of Ice (tragically seen very little B:tAS), but even without people talking about it, the story was very obvious (not that there's a problem with it).

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Speaking of that, are either of those Amazing Spiderman games worth playing?

I just got the first one on PC, and I kinda enjoy it, but I have an AMD card, and it is terrible. But what I've played is mostly pretty good. If you have a console, or an Nvidia PC, it should be worth a play. When it's not 50 loving dollars.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I had a ton of issues with combat timing in AO on my PC. Batman would do things like punch and miss the guy directly in front of him, or do the counter animation and still get hit in the head with a lead pipe. That being said, it was never more of an issue than some mild frustration that I didn't get a huge perfect free flow combo.

I haven't had any off those issues at all in any of the combat challenge maps though.

I had pretty much the exact same issue, down to it playing far better in the challenge maps and Cold, Cold Heart than in the campaign. It has to be some weird PC bug, because my friend who has it on the WiiU didn't have any problems with the combat whatsoever (though that seemed to be the most stable and bug-free version of the game anyway? He was super surprised to hear about all the bugs since they didn't seem to affect his version at all, and I've never heard a complaint about bugs from that version).

Edit: I played on Normal, by the way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

OH NO MAN posted:

Speaking of New 52, I've been wondering if Arkham Knight might have Barbara Gordon appear as Batgirl instead of Oracle. Personally I'm still not quite sure what to think about DC's decision to get rid of Oracle and restore Barbara as Batgirl, but I do know it would be pretty cool to be able to kick rear end as Batgirl even if it's only in challenge rooms or whatever.

I would be all for that, especially if we get skins for all the other Batgirls too. Cass would save money on voice acting too!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

I just recently completed City for the first time and immediately went back and re-played Asylum. AA has held up amazingly well. Am I the only one who actually prefers AA to AC? The combat mechanics are demonstrably better in AC, but I feel like AA is more focused and doesn't meander near as much as AC. The amount of content in the GOTY edition of AC is borderline overwhelming and seems like they just threw a bunch of poo poo at the wall to see what sticks.

How does Origins compare, is it more like AA or AC regarding focus?

fake edit: what the hell are these little grenades I see next to some usernames (including mine)?

City, most definitely. I do prefer City, but I will agree that Asylum is a more focused game.

Also I guess the grenade means you're a platinum user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I always liked the bit in Long Halloween where Scarecrow and Mad Hatter work together. I want to see another story about that, I think that could be fun.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Christopher Nolan never used Firefly in his film series. He didn't even have to put on the suit (though that would've been cool), he could've just been Garfield Lynns the arsonist in a little villain cameo like Zsasz.

He was in an episode of Arrow. Pretty much how I would expect Nolan Firefly would be.

• Locked thread