Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Did he say he wanted the riots? I legit don't remember. It's certainly possible, this incarnation of Edward Nigma is a huge rear end in a top hat compared to his other versions. Maybe Bats couldn't have talked him down but he also didn't even try, just jumped straight to picking a fight, and it makes Bats come off as the bigger jackass even though he's objectively in the right. I'm not calling it bad writing or anything, everybody was perfectly in character because Bats was genuinely a jackass to everybody for pretty much the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of Scarecrow hallucinations, this literally just occurred to me but the odds of Joker appearing in at least one of the inevitable fear gas segments seems pretty loving likely. If he ends up speaking, do you think they'll get Hamill do it since it would just be a short segment or just use Troy Baker?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It's shittily done. They're introducing a character and scenario without any meaningful leadup to make one story point not connected to anything, then they disappear without any further explanation. The writing and plot structure of AO is really bad. The only potentially redeeming quality of that particular nonevent is that they might have been planning a Long Halloween DLC that got cut. It would explain a couple of the other jagged edges in the game. Now that I think of it, it would've made sense if, earlier in development, Martin Jospeh's character was originally Harvey Dent.

I always assumed there was supposed to be more DLC for Origins since their statement about not patching the game further in order to work on DLC came after Cold, Cold Heart was released (or near to it anyway, I don't remember exactly). Maybe CCH didn't sell well enough?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those pictures I uploaded earlier come from the Multiverse Arkham Knight series:

http://ie001.blogspot.ca/2014/08/dc-multiverse-arkham-knight-figures.html

The figures are: Batman, Red Hood, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Robin.

They look kind of lovely to be honest.

Yeah they do, although what I'm getting out of this is that Scarecrow got loving wrecked by Killer Croc. He looks like he's half cyborg.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

To Waller's credit (the only credit I will give her for that movie), I'm pretty sure the opening sequence with what looked like a SWAT team dropping in on Riddler was actually meant to kill him. It's just that Batman interrupted. But yeah, it's incredibly dumb that she didn't just wait until the next time Eddie broke out and then send Deadshot after him. I mean, worst case scenario there is that Riddler never breaks out of Arkham again out of fear, which is the best case scenario for literally everyone else.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

What options do you really have with Grundy? You blow up the vents on the floor, that's about it. I think Firefly is the second best boss fight (after Freeze, of course, nothing beats Freeze) because while it may just be a series of QTEs, it's a particularly well executed series of QTEs and the entire thing feels dangerous and exhilarating in a way that pretty much none of the other boss fights (not even Freeze) do. The Arkham series rarely puts you in a position to feel legitimately threatened by what's going on - you the player might have difficulty with the fight but you never get the impression that Batman is having trouble. But you fight Firefly on a bridge that's coming down around your ears at the tail end of what's been a very long night for a very green Batman, all while wrestling with Gordon not being a lick of help and Alfred near-panicking in your ears, and the whole thing just feels like the only time in the entire series where Batman is genuinely struggling to handle the situation.

Firefly may not be mechanically great in the way that Freeze was, but I would argue that it's easily the most exciting and intense boss fight.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I've beaten Arkham City half a dozen times and I have literally never used any gadget other than explosive gel on Grundy. I didn't even know you could. Which means that the fact that you can do other things is irrelevant in the face of the fact that you don't have to. And to be honest? Without ever having used other gadgets on him, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that even bothering to use other gadgets on him is probably a waste of time since blowing up the vents is the only way to take him to the floor. Maybe using other gadgets on him will buy you some extra time to do that, but personally I've never had any difficulty blowing up the vents regardless of what Grundy was doing.

And I know Firefly was mechanically weak. I specifically said he was. But there's more going on to a boss fight than pure mechanics - you also have to consider the set up and the tone of the fight. Freeze is a phenomenal boss fight mechanically, but you know what? In context, that fight is dumb as hell. There's no reason whatsoever for Freeze and Batman to be fighting. The boss fight is incredibly out of place and it's a testament to how good a fight it is mechanically that everybody just kind of forgets that it's shoehorned into the plot really awkwardly. And don't get me wrong, I'm glad they included it, but jesus I wish they had written it better.

What we're dealing with here is a difference in tastes - I play a game for the story and Firefly is a great fight to me because it's the peak of the roller coaster right before the stomach clenching "I am in your house, Bruce" drop, whereas for as good a fight as Freeze is, I still think "this is so dumb, why are you two doing this" every single time.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

If by "a ton of foreshadowing" you mean a handful of scattered thugs talking about how Grundy is under the Iceberg Lounge, which foreshadows that A. he exists, and B. you'll fight him in the Iceberg. Firefly was actually built up as a character. Although, to be fair, Grundy doesn't have any character at all other than being a big muscular zombie.

At this point I think you're just completely ignoring my point that there's more to a boss fight than mechanics, since I have never disagreed with you that Firefly is boring mechanically. But Grundy is also boring mechanically and you're all over him so I don't know, maybe you just like being contrary.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

Hi is this your first conversation with Discendo Vox?

I've watched others do it but I guess I just don't learn except by doing things myself :negative:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Grundy was meant to be a surprise fight when you are expecting a bossfight with Penguin- the entire Iceberg Lounge sequence before that point was meant to get you disappointed for the Penguin fight as an anticlimax, then subvert your expectations.

I can't fathom why anybody who knows literally anything at all about Penguin (including just what you know about him from the game up to that point) would actually think there was going to be a Penguin boss fight. You've already punched him out once in the game so far, at the very beginning. You might as well say that people would expect that the conclusion to the Riddler sidequest would involve a boss fight with him.

The hints that Grundy would be the Iceberg boss fight were dropped with all the subtlety of an anvil. If you were surprised by Grundy then I have serious concerns about your reading comprehension.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not that they aren't forced to have it play from their speakers, it's that they don't listen to it or care. See, e.g., every youtube LP ever. Most players in most games don't listen to incidental dialogue.

I don't think that's true and I also think that using Youtube LPers as an example is disengenuous - anybody doing a live LP is multitasking and inherently giving the game less attention than most would be. And unless it's a blind LP, they've already heard it anyway.

I've never met anybody, online or off, who played the Arkham series and didn't pause to listen to thug dialogue.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Joker's motivation is that he wants Batman dead. It's... not really that complex. This is Joker pre-Bat obsession. He just wants Batman out of the way so he can start his own criminal empire and he's only impersonating Black Mask because Roman has enough clout for the assassin's to believe he'll pay up, whereas nobody knows who Joker is yet.

I'd say it'd be more interesting if he'd actually been Roman, but I think Black Mask is dead boring so I'd be lying. For all of Origins faults (including its story), I'm not really clear on why people think the plot doesn't make sense outside of Bane and his bizarre grudge.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Riddler is my favorite by a wide margin, with Scarecrow pulling up a distant second, and Hatter a close third. I also have a special spot in my heart for Killer Croc - particularly in the incarnations where he looks more like an actual bipedal crocodile than a mutated human.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There was a Riddler story I wish I could remember the name of (it was from the 70s or 80s I think) in which he was hired to do security for this corporation because who was going to get past the Riddler's security walls? And it works out pretty well at first, but the CEO is a huge rear end in a top hat to Riddler and treats him like he's a mad dog on a leash so Riddler eventually bites back and constructs so many tricks and traps that nobody, including the CEO, can get through the building and Batman has to be called in.

It was a really interesting story because it showed a side of Riddler that I wish we saw more of - the side where he's really just having fun with the whole thing. He's never angry at any point in the story. He's irritated at worst with the CEO and he gets over it pretty fast when he decides to ramp up the traps. Even when Batman gets involved, Riddler goes through all the traps with him, watching him solve them and just being amused by the whole thing. It's clear that he wasn't out to hurt anybody, he didn't expect any of the random office workers to get mauled by a shark (one of the rooms had a shark tank, because Eddie really goes all out on traps), he was just trying to piss the CEO off really badly and make his life difficult.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

As best as I can recall, because I'm not replaying the game just to get to this point, the dialogue goes something like this:

"That's it, that's the thing that Penguin's got locked up in the basement!" [you hear this line play out halfway down the hall and you can't rush forward in time to interrupt it and punch them to death so literally nobody can miss this line, and they are standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF A SOLOMON GRUNDY POSTER which you are facing as you come around the corner and is also the answer to a riddle so honestly if you didn't notice this poster then I don't know what to tell you]

"What? It can't be, this thing's gotta be a hundred years old!"

"So-lo-mon Grun-dy [thug draws it out slowly as if he is a bad reader, or else he thinks his friend is], that's what you can hear coming from the basement! 'Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday'"

"Huh, maybe it is."

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 16, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

"Run, Riddler, Run," I believe.

Yesssss, that's it! He's so loving proud of himself in that goddamn spandex outfit and his stupid hair, :allears: I love Riddler so much

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Speaking of which, aside from the one story suggested earlier, is there any other good Scarecrow stories?

Scarecrow: Year One is really good, particularly the art, other than the part where they decided Crane paints his nails black like a goth teenager. Rest of it's great though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Deathstroke was an incredibly easy fight as soon as you realized that you pressed Batclaw to win. Much like a common thug, Deathstroke never learns to dodge the Batclaw and you can get a few free hits on him every time. Not using the Batclaw turns the fight into a beautiful and complex dance of violence, but if you can't get the counters down then the Batclaw will win the fight for you and I only ever met one or two people who didn't realize this and struggled. Most people will use everything in their arsenal against a boss they are having trouble with, if only to try it once.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I heard Origins was really buggy and not that good. I liked the first two games, is this new one worth the $7.50 it's going for at the Steam sale?

At $7.50, it's worth it, yeah. It's a legitimately good game, it's just not quite up to par with Rocksteady's work.

And concussion grenades are loving horrible. They don't even make sense story-wise since the entire reason you're given them is so that you can avoid hurting cops - except you can't take somebody out with just a concussion grenade. You still have to get in there and break a few limbs.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think it was supposed to be a secret that he was the Riddler, he just hadn't come up with the name yet. It was definitely a let down though.

Speaking of let downs, I caved and bought the season pass since it was on Steam sale. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any DLC from them since I was still pissed about the bugs but I want to play Cold, Cold Heart so badly. :negative:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Cold, Cold Heart review: Disappointing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It was buggy as poo poo, though it may not have been that way at release. I was having problems where every so often the FPS would drop down to a loving slide show (or it would outright freeze for a moment) then start back up normally again. When this happens in combat, particularly while learning how to dodge those ice beam fuckers, this results in disaster. It was doing it in regular story mode too and it's never done it before so I don't know if something about the DLC was bugging it out or what.

Also wasn't really thrilled with having a new set of Anarky tags to hunt down (still no in game map for them), and the Freeze boss fight was confusing until I realized it was literally just the AC Freeze fight all over again, just with thugs added in.

And then over the credits, Mayor Hill quit and I guess that had something to do with Nigma (because somebody told me it did) but I don't know what because I don't remember any information Nigma had on Hill.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Origins is my favourite game

Nah, it's fine, Origins was a good game, it just wasn't -

poptart_fairy posted:

and I'm quite enjoying Blackgate

Errrr. Hey uh, are you okay? I got you this nice white jacket, don't worry about the strappy bits, you know fashion these days is so weird. You wanna try it on? It's really cozy. I'm just concerned about you.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So anyway, one of the most common complaints I've seen about Origins is that Black Mask is 'wasted' or 'done wrong'. Speaking as someone who doesn't know the comics, what is there to Mask that isn't in the game? During my (admittedly fairly brief) reading up on the guy he didn't seem to come across as much more than a criminal boss who was used as a scapegoat by his family, so murdered them and wore a mask made out of their coffin. That's...odd but doesn't strike me anything substantial and worth getting irritated by.

Bane in Batman and Robin, however... :v:

Black Mask is a phenomenally uninteresting character separated from your average gangster only by how much he loooooooves torture. Boy howdy he does love him some torture. Tons of it, all the time. Really gutwrenching disgusting stuff.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

khwarezm posted:

8. Who was the dumbass who not only thought to bring back the AR training of all things, but also to make it more important for gaining unlocks and just generally more obnoxious?

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat who loves AR training. I'm so sorry. I always knock out of all of the AR drills as soon as I possibly can in AC or AO.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

See that's the least fun part about NG+ to me. Well, not Riddler having a conniption fit, but that there's no riddles or trophies to get. So there's nothing I can do around the city to distract me from the plot. You just have to pound straight through the storyline and the story doesn't really hold up to that kind of continuous attention.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Falcone thing sounds like he's turning into a villain I'm supposed to know, considering where his Enigma tapes go. But whoops, they neglected to have anything about that in this game and I seriously doubt we'll get an Origins sequel to expand on anything ever.

If you legitimately don't know, Alberto Falcone is the Holiday Killer. NOT Calender Man. A different holiday-based villain. Him becoming the Holiday Killer is the nail in the coffin for the mafia era of crime in Gotham City, meant to show that even the most powerful crime families are giving way to eccentric supervillains.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about the Carpenter?

As ashamed as I am to know that the Carpenter was a real Batman villain, I don't think Lewis Carroll invented carpenting.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Well yeah, but the Carpenter villain was literally just a straight up carpenter with power tools. Writing a poem that includes a carpenter doesn't mean all carpenters in media since then are references to him.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As long as we're talking obscure, lets get some Sportsmaster up in this bitch.

They used Sportsmaster in Young Justice and even as effective as a villain as they made him, I still couldn't take him seriously.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Based on the video and the better look at the Arkham Knight, my guess for his identity is Azrael. The original one, not the one we saw in AC. Jean-Paul, I think? The suit looks very much like a meaner version of the Batsuit (it even has pointy ears). If not Jean-Paul, then some member of the Order of St. Dumas gone rogue.

At any rate, I'm not super excited for the Batmobile stuff because I don't typically like vehicle sections in games, but everything else looks fantastic.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Doubt it. Anarky doesn't have an interest in body counts or hurting people just for the sake of hurting people. He's not against killing or hurting people when he has to but always for what he sees as the greater good (dismantling the system). Nothing Scarecrow does is for any sort of good and has nothing to do with politics so Anarky wouldn't work for him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

They've definitely been referring to Arkham Knight as "the last in the trilogy" so I don't think they're making any effort to include Origins but I also don't think they'll go out of their way to contradict it out of spite.

Anyway, I'm holding out that the Arkham Knight isn't Jason because they've been pushing him as Red Hood so hard. Seems weird to include him as Red Hood and make him the villain of the game as AK.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

The leaks already confirmed that Arkham Knight is Ridley

Completely misread this and thought you were saying the Arkham Knight was Riddler.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Completely disagree. It would have been fine as a joke, but they played it straight and it's loving absurd. I absolutely believe that Batman is an anal retentive weirdo who has memorized the Arkham schedules and blows a gasket every time the guards casually trade shifts, but that doesn't mean I want the movie to actually portray him as that guy and act like it's reasonable behavior. Even having him mention it to Oracle and having a brief cutaway for her to roll her eyes at him would have made it more palatable, but instead it comes off as the little kid on the playground going "nuh uh, batman could too survive a meteor strike"

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think I was just really, really angry and disappointed in the movie by that point so I was more annoyed by it than I might have otherwise been.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

God please don't let it be for sex stuff like bare boobs or people calling the female characters "bitches" even more than they used to

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Poison Ivy doesn't look like a Barbie doll! Hooray!

Yeah, Ivy and Harley both look way better. Riddler looks really weird though. He doesn't look particularly like either the AC version or the Origins version. Not real keen on his pseudo-Hawaiian shirt either but whatever, it's not like you typically see him in person much in these games.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Veotax posted:

Was that Firefly in the trailer? I'm surprised they're using anything from Origins, for some reason I thought Rocksteady had some animosity towards that game. Although I guess that might be something that's been exaggerated by the internet over time.

It's not like Origins owns Firefly - he's a legit Batman villain who has been around for a long time.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Nope. Copperhead and Deathstroke were both better. Firefly was Poison Ivy 2.0, now with less combat and more QTEs.

We've had this argument before and you're still wrong, but this is the first time I've ever heard somebody say Copperhead was a good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

When you punch the Knight he falls apart and reveals himself as an elaborate canister of fear gas.

This is actually the best possible scenario

• Locked thread