Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Azraden posted:

Looks like we got a new trailer for Blackgate. I'm hoping the transfer to 2.5D isn't awful like it was with the new Castlevania game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vDe7Tf_g

I honestly think this looks terrible. It's like someone made a bad licensed game based on Arkham proper. No amount of lovely motion comics is going to help, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

This was posted over in the Steam thread - GreenManGaming has a 25% off voucher for this weekend for Arkham: Origins - GMG25-W38UG-WZTBY

That was enough to tilt me into taking the gamble, the game is looking enough like it's at least not DETRACTING from what made Asylum and City so much fun to play, and I'd honestly be satisfied with a game that is essentially more of the same with a different story for variety. If it turns out to be more than that/better than that, then even better!

That's a really good price and it just made me spring for it, even though I thought City was very disappointing and I didn't cherish the idea of a prequel.

They've got a really good set of fundamentals in place, so I assume it'll at least be a quality product. I just hope it's a more interesting game than City.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I almost never bother to 100% games but AC was such an enjoyable one that I went and did every challenge with every character on top of collecting every Riddler trophy and what have you.

That said, some (thankfully few) of the medal requirements were made of pure malice and hate and I wasn't very far from giving up out of sheer frustration.

I straight up think they ruined the collectible aspect in City by never knowing when to say stop. There were so many Riddler tokens it was ridiculous. Collecting them ended up feeling like busywork, and it never felt as creative as in Asylum. I really hope they scale it back for this one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Beeez posted:

I don't know how you got good with the mouse and keyboard, seems like it'd be really tough. Then again, I use a laptop so I don't even have a mouse.

If you get good, it's probably actually easier to play with a KB/M, since greater control over the camera means greater control over your directional flow. At least I find that part limiting when I'm using a controller. The only thing that's a problem is that using the special finishers is kind of awkward since it requires you pressing a key at the same time as a mouse click. Also all the gadgets are assigned to different keys, so if you want to get a high multiplier it requires you to keep track of a lot of different poo poo.

Either way playing with a mouse and keyboard is totally fine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean it looks like a Batman game exactly like the other two. I'm not sure what showing more of it would accomplish at this point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I definitely don't think this game is going to be bad, but it just looks like more of that exact same Batman game that I've already played two times.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well, sure. But I'd almost rather replay Asylum just because that game has such a cool atmosphere to it that Origins doesn't look it has at all. At some point you're going to burn out on that same formula if the developers put everything on cruise control just because the engine already has good fundamentals and they don't have a lot of time to add more new stuff to it. More gadgets doesn't exactly sound like the thing I would want out of a new Batman game, since as far as I'm concerned they're mostly just there for multipliers.

I already bought this game 'cause I got it super cheap, so I'm not sure I should be complaining, but I was already getting that "you know what, I'm good, I don't need to play more of these" feeling out of City. I don't know what could make me excited about a new one, but I agree that change for change's sake isn't the way to go either.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

If there's going to be any batman worth getting day 1 it's going to be the 3ds version.

That's a mighty big assumption for a game that doesn't look good at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope you're right, dude.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

Are you crazy? It looks great. I think you might be confusing it with the bland looking vita version.

Oh, yeah, I might be? I thought they were the same game?

Edit: Googling suggests they are the same game, which means I stand by my original statement. I think that game looks baaaaad.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's weird, it's still getting a midnight release over here in Europe according to Steam. That'd be in 3.5 hours.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version super buggy for anyone else? It seems to run fine in terms of performance, but the audio drops completely without reason and I've already gotten like 3 fatal errors.

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through that loving logo crawl every time it starts up.

Edit: And now I can't get past the part where you pick your save data. This is awesome.

Edit 2: Fixed it by installing the newest Nvidia driver, but now the sound isn't working at all. This rules.

Edit 3: Fixed it, I think. Apparently the game automatically turned down all the volume sliders :psyduck:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 25, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GuyCastle posted:

No predicting necessary, but whereas in AC you had a second or so to press counter when the alert pops up, you now should/need to press it as soon as it shows up because the timing is very unforgiving (relatively speaking, I'm probably only noticing because I spent the last few days doing all the challenges in AC).

It doesn't actually seem like the window is smaller to me, just that you can't really cancel out of other attacks as easily as you could in the other games. If you just stand still and counter, the window is still pretty goddamn generous, but countering in the middle of combat seems a lot harder in general and you have to pay more attention to when you attack.

Not sure I like this change.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe Gamespot's new policy is to review games more than once, at different times during their patch/DLC path, and by different people. Maybe just to gently caress with Metacritic and keep people from just going there for reviews, I dunno.

I don't think it's policy, I think they're just allowing it now. The Bioshock re-review only came to pass because that guy really wanted to do it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Really, yeah, a lot has been rehashed. But hell, I loved the gently caress out of Asylum and City, and so far I'm loving the gently caress out of Origins. Why should I give a gently caress about a review?

If you have to ask that question, you shouldn't. Clearly these reviews aren't meant for you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version doesn't seem that great this time, unfortunately. The UI is really bothersome to navigate with a mouse and keyboard for one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone been able to trigger a crime in progress in Sheldon Park for the last Gotham Protector challenge? I've been flying around for 30 minutes and nothing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have to say, maybe I'm just desensitized/ambivalent at this point, but I play with high PhysX and barely ever noticed its presence. I tried turning it off and on again just to see the difference, but nothing about it seems at all noteworthy to me. It ceases to be a point worth caring about after a few seconds.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

washow posted:

Hmm maybe I should upgrade my 560ti

Should be noted that I'm using a 560ti and I can still run the game between 50-60 FPS with everything turned up except dynamic shadows in DX 11 mode (and I honestly cannot tell the difference with that setting). This includes PhysX on high. You don't need to upgrade just yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously the challenge system loving sucks. I'm stuck at the one where you have to do 4 different takedowns in a predator encounter, but I can't do it because no loving predator encounter in this game (beyond maybe the first one) has sturdy walls with which to knock people out. It's so dumb, at least it'd make sense if you could do them in the combat simulator, but nnnnope!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RatHat posted:

Er, there are more than 4 takedowns you know.

You have to do the explosive gel takedown, and there's literally no way to do it for seemingly half the game. It's idiotic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scyantific posted:

GCPD and Royal Hotel have walls that can be used.

4 Takedowns could be:
-Inverted
-Silent
-Vent
-Remote Claw to a Propane Tank

Sorry, I should clarify, you have to do 4 specific takedowns; vent, ledge, explosive gel and corner. Explosive gel only knocks guys out when you bomb heavy walls, not the weak wood ones, or at least I haven't been able to get it to work (and googling seems to confirm this). I haven't seen any heavy walls since the beginning of the game which was long before I got this challenge.

Edit: Beaten!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

I really like that "Enigma" is, apart from being a complete egomaniac, pretty reasonable.

You have to admit he does have a point- how is breaking limbs and punching people unconscious somehow better than blackmail?

This wnole game makes Batman look like a real hypocritical piece of poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The tone of Arkham City was one of the main reasons I didn't particularly care for that game. Asylum was almost a horror game and I really loved that.

Though I'm not going to say that I think Origins is much better than City in terms of story. At least not yet, I haven't finished it. I'd definitely classify it as cynical. If anything, Origins has made me really loving hate Batman as a character - he's a self-righteous, pompous, endlessly cruel rear end in a top hat that does whatever the hell he wants and he rarely ever helps anyone. If Rocksteady really is working on a silver age game, that'll be a real loving nice change of pace.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NattyBo posted:

I'm having trouble with one of the vigilante challenges (I think #11?) - specifically, it's get 20 critical strikes in the same fight. It tells me that if I have trouble I can turn on the prompt for it, but so far, I haven't found where to turn on the prompt and I have no idea how to get critical strikes in fights. I'm far enough in that I have everything in the combat upgrades upgraded, so I don't think I'm missing an upgrade?

You have to wait a bit between attacks. Start pressing just before you think the timer expires; Batman will have red lines pulsing from his hands instead of yellow. I recommend waiting until later in the campaign where you'll encounter a big fight in the Coventry section.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Very intentional part of his character arc.

It might be intentional, but it pretty much made me not want to play/read/watch anything with Batman in it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

I just started a new Asylum run last night. Yeah my move set is limited and it's weird not being able to do things like grapple while gliding, and man it sure is handy when doors glow orange in the sequels' detective modes, but you know what? the combat feels SO MUCH BETTER and it's so refreshing.

edit: And the very first upgrade I bought is Critical Strike. gently caress you, Origins.

I feel they added way too much poo poo to keep track of in the combat. Elements like knife countering always felt super awkward to me, and all the newer gadgets just feel gimmicky and unneeded. The only thing Asylum is missing is being able to counter more than one enemy at a time, but even that's not really necessary due to the way that game is designed. It felt solid, City/Origins became more and more diluted and gratuitous until the point where I'm not really enjoying the combat anymore. And I'd also take the metroidvania structure over open world any day of the week in these games. I'm going to replay Asylum multiple times, I'll probably never play City/Origins again.

• Locked thread