Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Arkham Origins is basically Bioshock 2, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I really like that "Enigma" is, apart from being a complete egomaniac, pretty reasonable.

You have to admit he does have a point- how is breaking limbs and punching people unconscious somehow better than blackmail?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Especially including Anarky during the Loeb era, where most of the points he makes...are true.

But there's the small matter of being willing to blow up civilians. "Enigma" and Batman are the only ones who are at least reluctant to kill.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Arcturas posted:

I'm trying not to look through the whole thread to avoid spoilers, and the OP doesn't seem to have a good summary of the goonmind's opinion of the new game, but how does it compare to the first two? I loved Asylum and rather enjoyed City, and was hopeful when I saw that the third had been released. Should I avoid it until a sale, or is it worth picking up at full price?

Honestly, it depends how much you loved City. If you'd pick City up at full price, you can't go wrong with doing the same for this. Having said that, if you've played an Arkham game recently, I'd wait for a sale. Better story and combat, less polish and originality.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... what 'fake' prompts? The martial artist enemies basically have 2 gimmicks, the jump attack, with has a double prompt because you have to hit the button twice, and the chain counter, where you have to counter them like 3-5 times for it to actually hit them. Neither is false.

They're also immune to special and ground takedowns, which is such a pain in the rear end.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Unless you want the extra New 52 costume, just don't bother with the Enigma/Riddler arc. There's no payoff. :(

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, I did like the idea that Enigma was developing his own persona, with that first Riddler trophy marking his transfer from mysterious blackmailer/extortion agent to unhinged villain The Riddler though I was irritated that you don't get a similar tantrum breakdown like you get in Asylum/City where you get to see or hear him utterly defeated and cursing your name - that stuff is what generally makes the effort of collecting his trophies/solving his riddles so worthwhile, because you get to rub it in his smug face.

On a note, if you return to the Batcave after finishing up his questline, Alfred has a little bit more data/background on Enigma that adds an interesting new perspective on the character - Alfred discovers his real name and occupation, he's Edward Nashton who headed up the GCPD's cyber-crimes division, explaining how he managed to get the access that he did.

Having thought about this a little, I can see what they were going for. It would have been easy enough to just stop at the towers, to stop the whole city from being locked down from most outside communication. Knocking out all the server relays? Okay, now he's lost his information network. Punching out his super-computer? Fine. Okay, now all his work is basically for nothing, and he's been beaten by a man with a dress-up fetish and a superhero complex.

Actually going out of your way to secure every single datapack? Just so you can what, unlock a door and bring in a guy who has barely even broken the law compared to everyone else in Gotham at that point- that's Batman just being a single-minded rear end in a top hat. He's dismantled years of preparation and work, and for what? To save the names of a few corrupt officials, and to avoid exposing the truth. Meanwhile, Batman is puching the gently caress out of everyone, knocking people out, breaking bones, and he's still somehow deluded enough to believe he's in the right?

And that's when Enigma just snaps. Just before Batman arrives to apprehend him (probably with needless violence) he slips out and leaves behind a single memento. He's The Riddler now, and his only job from there on is to piss Batman off and try to make him feel impotent and stupid.

Fair enough.

Batman is such a dick.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to see an Arkham game where the Riddler is the one pulling all the strings. I mean it's a perfect fit, you have all the villains going apeshit at each other because of his meddling, and while Batman's going around trying to calm things down (relatively speaking) the criminal organisations are being dismantled from within.

Suddenly, Gotham's electronics and communications are completely under Riddler control, and the Bat has to actually do some detective work and figure out how he did it!

Then the game ends with you punching him in the face.

GOTY.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I'd be okay if the main villain of the next Arkham game is The Riddler, but I'd be happier if the next Rocksteady developed title expanded the scope to pull in a little more of the DC Universe. I mean, at least with some of Batman's allies, bring Robin and Nightwing into the story proper and give us some character variety into the open world sections of the game. The brief taste in Arkham City with Catwoman left me wanting more.

There is no way that Rocksteady are going to make an Arkham game again, nor is there any way that if Origins sells well, the Arkham series will be discontinued. It'll probably be outsourced.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Whaat, I thought the whole point of this one was so they could spend more time on the next "proper" one??

AFAIK it's a DC Universe game, it's set in the Arkham universe but it's radically different from City.

Most of what we know about it is rumours, though.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
As satisfying as it is to smack a guy with his own ghetto riot shield, if you dont D+D them someone else will pick it up and be just as obnoxious with it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This game has done a very good job in making me want to replay Arkham City!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This will be my last Riddler post, I promise.

Why they didn't make him an ex-investment banker I will never know. It's almost too perfect- while banks and the financial system around him is crashing to ruins, he's still making billions for rich people and getting vilified for it! So he thinks, hang on a minute, these assholes don't know what's good for them, clearly I need to be spending vast amounts of money and using my skills to secure control of drat near everything.

Basically the opposite to Nolan's Bane, he'd be the embodiment of a scorned gently caress you got mine type.

The whole anti-fraud computer forensic thing didn't really do much to explain any motives beyond his massive narcissism. I really think he's a wasted villain, just there to be the local crazy man who scatters shinies everywhere.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

THE CHORSE posted:

I just finished the Deadshot fight in I am the Night Mode. :unsmigghh:

Totally worth the 3 and a half hours, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Really wish they'd make Riddler actively gently caress with Batman beyond throwing doodads everywhere. The jammer towers in Origins were a good start, they should build off that and make him an actual threat rather than an annoyance.

For instance, instead of just having Riddler goons spattered across the overworld, have them in predator encounters, being fed information directly about your movements from pressure sensors in the gargoyles and ledges. Or have Riddler jack into the door system while you're making your way through Blackgate and let all the angry inmates out just for shits and giggles, while giving cryptic hints about how to simultaneously activate the shock collars on the prisoners.

Basically if he's making life more tedious for Batman, what's the point? Make it harder, Edward.

• Locked thread