Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Can someone tell me how the DLC for this game works, thanks to needing to keep a loving spreadsheet to make sure you have a full game nowadays? This is all on the PC platform, if that matters.

Ads all over the place pumped out "pre-order to play as Deathstroke!" but I heard that you can play as Deathstroke if you buy after release anyways. Apparently pre-ordering just gave you more challenge maps? Is that what the Black Mask Challenge Pack is?

If I get the Season Pass plus the Black Mask Challenge Pack, will I be getting all the DLC for the game, straight-up? Getting the GOTY edition a year early for $37 is not a bad deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

Season Pass + Black Mask Challenge Pack + Online Supply Drop 1 will give you all the currently released content for the game (Not counting 1 skin that you have to sign up for Warner's newsletter for).

So the Black Mask Challenge Pack IS what you got for pre-ordering the game?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman straight up torturing these guys who can't fight back instead of threatening them for information is really uncomfortable. I don't remember anything like him breaking most of Black Mask's ribs then threatening to gently caress with his pacemaker and getting ready to actually do it until Copperhead stops him happening in the other games.

Taking Mr. Freeze's life juice off of him and slowly spilling it onto the floor seems pretty comparable. Batman's always been a sadistic dick in the Arkham series, which is one of the reasons why the writing is so lacking.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

At least Origins was putting poo poo together, and not just following bread crumbs.

Origins's investigations were pixel hunts, you did no thinking for yourself. They're the exact same breadcrumb following, just confined to one room. There's basically no reason to laud them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is anyone who's playing with "weird" combat using a controller or kbm? I used a wireless 360 controller on PC and felt no differences from City, really. And I'm usually pretty spergy about that kind of thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Did AO do really poorly or something? It's really surprising to see a game and its season pass go on sale before all the DLC included is even out for it. Bioshock Infinite is in way worse financial straits than AO and even it didn't put its season pass on sale when the base game was.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
All the Arkham games' writing is garbage, City especially so because it's written by modern-day Paul Dini.

Not certain where the claims of AO having a better plot with less hamfisted characters are coming from when it infamously drops the actually-kinda-interesting "EIGHT ASSASSINS! ONE NIGHT! PAY FOR YOUR SEAT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE" premise for Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker Joker

p.s. Black Mask is a cool villain and he should be used (well) in more things

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Veotax posted:

Oh, goodie. I've been hit by the infinite falling bug in My Alibi, in the DLC. Now whenever I load my save I'm just falling forever in a black void.

I guess I'll get back to this one day, I really don't feel like re-starting the DLC after playing for that long.

I was unable to complete a predator section because a goon walked through a wall into the infinite abyss under the map.

Also, ice ray guys are the worst addition to Arkham combat ever.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah. Just chuck one of those disruptor things at them, punch a few unarmed guys, then combat takedown them when you get close.

That's the thing, an enemy shouldn't be so annoying that they're basically relegated to "save a combat takedown" status. Knife dudes, baton dudes, and armored dudes are small variations that make for fun combat with or without combo moves. Ice rays are just brick walls in terms of pacing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I guess it's a bit different in the comics when it's the comic book world, but with Nolan kind of stuff the problem is how Batman is so functional despite being so broken: "I stayed 8 years inside my manor without seeing anybody else than Alfred because my girlfriend died and the instant I decide to leave I'm completely functional human being in a top atheletes body." You can't be hosed up and still put up a top performance physically and mentally and have such a high level of skill and cunning. Basically every iteration of Batman has him suffer mentally on some level and still be plaguede by his parents murder after 20+ years but not counting a couple of lines where he states he sometimes feels bad mental problems don't affect him at all. That's wasted exploration.

You and I must have watched different movies, because the very first thing Batman does when he unretires in that movie is accidentally prevent the police from catching Bane. Like, multiple characters point this out to him.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can go on.

Out with it, man!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I have no idea where this weird-rear end opinion that the Deathstroke fight is good came from, considering it gives you no indication what to do and plays like a lovely fighting game.

Also it just reuses animations from the Ras Al Ghul fight REALLY shamelessly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You mean the fight where he'll counter your attacks with no pattern or warning unless you're aware of the quickfire batclaw trick?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If he counters your attack you can re-counter it if you wait for the right moment.

I just YouTubed this to make sure and I swear you're just going to have to believe me when I say this didn't happen in my copy of the game. Sorry.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Sometimes people just need to admit when they're loving bad at a game.

Eat a dick, dude. I'm not claiming to be MLG pro but I like to imagine I'm at least competent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

It's both.

What's the over-under on the Arkham Knight totally eclipsing Scarecrow as the antagonist of this game and/or having some stupid poo poo to do with the Joker? Because my gut tells me to feel pessimistic on this one, even though Arkham City was such a direct step up from Asylum with seemingly direct responses to criticisms about Asylum and I really really really want to believe Rocksteady won't poo poo the bed.

The good news is that Paul Dini isn't writing this one so maybe the story will be at least bearable, unlike Asylum and City.

v *sharp inhale* ohhhhh.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 8, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kin posted:

I've currently got a GTX 660 in my PC and in looking at the screenshots for Arkham Knight, i don't think there's any way it could get the game looking that good :(

Dude don't worry, I have a 770 in my PC and I'm not convinced I'll be able to run it. Rocksteady has a pretty good rep when it comes to PC ports, but still...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I always assumed there was supposed to be more DLC for Origins since their statement about not patching the game further in order to work on DLC came after Cold, Cold Heart was released (or near to it anyway, I don't remember exactly). Maybe CCH didn't sell well enough?

Nah, it came before. While CCH was in development, specifically. It really gave the impression of "we're finishing this last DLC and then we never want to touch this loving game again."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Which sucks because with a few patches it would be a much better game.

Not THAT much better, AO has a few flaws right in the design phase, from the crappy city to annoying enemy gimmicks and a story that's only slightly better than AA and AC.

People seem to have confused "good story" with "well-directed setpieces," which AO has in spades, but not actually decent writing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I like AO. I feel bad when people pick on it, like a fat kid getting the piss taken out of him because he's dressed as Batman. :smith:

I mean, it's okay. It's still Arkham. It's just that when I feel like firing up an Arkham game for high score runs on challenge mode, I almost always pick City still.

ImpAtom posted:

The game punishes button mashing a lot harder

Okay but have you heard of these things called "shock gloves"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

If you could remap the controls on AA to be like the other games that would be my favorite. I played thru AA before AO released and it was maddennig not being to double tap the number keys to quick fire gadgets.

Honestly, I thought the keyboard controls on AA were way better than in City's. City made me switch a controller.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty much the only reason to do I Am The Night is for the achievement, as far as I could tell it was identical in every way to New Game+ apart from death eating your save. I don't recall the game feeling any more difficult or there being more/tougher enemies - the only difference is that you're a bit more paranoid about how you play because one stray shot can wreck a few hours of gameplay.

Beating I Am the Night mode used to give you the Worst Nightmare skin (spooky ghost monster Batman who would beat the poo poo out of Joker in cutscenes), but for some reason they canceled that feature before release. :shepface:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure we're hitting Poe's Law here. Shadows of Mordor was made by the guys who did FEAR, and that's an excellent Batman game.

Wasn't SoM originally a Batman game set in the Nolanverse?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

This was the mission that they previewed at E3.

No, it's not.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's no way Rocksteady is going to make Origins the lynchpin of Arkham Kinght's big mystery.I also don't buy the whole "He's a new character, no mystery here, muahahah!" song and dance Rocksteady has been doing.

Origins is essentially non-canon at this point. They abandoned bugfixing in exchange for rushing the last DLC out, they put it and its season pass on sale for as much as 60% off before Cold Cold Heart even came out, and they refer to Knight as "the final entry in the Arkham trilogy."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the Rocksteady trilogy.

No, they specifically keep saying "in the Arkham trilogy."

Narcissus1916 posted:

In all seriousness, I really liked the crime scene rewinds from Origins. I largely disliked the majority of the title, but those "rewind the scene to find clues" mechanics felt very visual and fun.

They were very flashy, but ultimately amounted to just pixel hunts. Kind of like a metaphor for the entirety of Origins itself.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Canemacar posted:

He's a single guy who has personally declared war on every criminal in the thriving underworld of Gotham. Batman should always be the underdog.

It is literally impossible for Batman to be the underdog as long as Bruce Wayne continues to be written as the highest-class member of Gotham.

The best Batman stories directly challenge the idea of Batman being a positive force for the city, considering he's a rich man enforcing his will on the city through violence.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Canemacar posted:

It's definitely a fine line the writers have to walk. It's easy to have Batman come off as a classist, facistic douche. I prefer the depictions that show Wayne using his influence behind the scenes to try and fix the institutional problems that are the root cause of crime in the streets. I haven't read the Court of Owls yet, but a friend made it sound like it's Batman vs. the other old money families in Gotham. Which I think is a great idea. They're the ones who profit from the status quo just as much as the criminals; it would make sense that they would rally against this newcomer who threatens to overturn how things are run.

That's not a bad approach either, but then you run the problem of Batman becoming an absolutely perfect character, like a Gary Stu or something. The Nolan movies weren't great because they were "dark and gritty," they were great because they directly challenged the idea of Batman being a super-rich vigilante who enforces his own political viewpoints on everyone else through the power of his wealth. The whole "Batman is just as crazy as his villains" schtick is an indirect way of tackling this, as best shown in A Serious House on Serious Earth (the most underrated Batman story, imo.)

The Arkham games are absolutely fascinating from a gameplay perspective - they did for the PS360 generation what Resident Evil 4 did for the PS2/Xbox OG/GameCube generation - but their writing has always been lackluster, to be generous. Numerous times Batman pretty much rudely brushes off everyone's advice, only to have it... Not bite him in the rear end at all. In fact, he pretty much always wins, probably because of the dumb "I'M BATMAN" meme. One of the reasons I'm excited for Knight is because it's the first Rocksteady game that ISN'T written by Paul Dini.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 22, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Batman is a character that you can interpret in a lot of different ways and that's what's fun about stories. Nolan Batman is a childish tyrant who eventually gets over himself. BTAS Batman is a crusader of justice and sympathy. Arkham Batman is a stubborn dick who refuses help from anyone and everyone, and it looks like that's about to bite him in the rear end in Arkham Knight. All these interpretations can co-exist and be interesting on their own, and none of them are "missing the point" of the character.

pengun101 posted:

It seems every 20 pages or so, someone jumps on old hobbyhorse of "batman is an evil fascist who punches impoverished innocent criminals and he is just as bad as hitler/arkham city is sexist because psychos call catwoman a bitch and say awful hosed up things because they are psychos" tumblrite rant.

Nobody brought this up at all and you're being a weirdo with an agenda to push.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

The games don't have this because it wouldn't be that interesting really to play a game where you're a CEO of a company going over hiring practices and making sure criminals get a fair shot, but the game also throws a ton of background information at you and it doesn't mention any of that sort of stuff in those either and I think that's a shame.

Look at this dude who's never played Prison Architect.

hard counter posted:

Can I not respond to something that's being quoted?

I think the majority of the thread would prefer if you didn't respond to anything.

Here's a hint: When net cafe scandal talked about the worst page in Games, that statement included your posts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm just saying, I would have to think a game sucked pretty bad to recommend people skip it. As in I couldn't see how anyone of any personality type would enjoy it.

Origins pretty much instantly made City's formula stale for me by virtue of being the same content but executed much worse, and the biggest reason I'm excited for Arkham Knight is because it looks like it's going to switch things up as much as City did compared to Asylum. I don't mind telling people to avoid tiring themselves out.

I should also mention that Origins' writing is hysterically overrated.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Now 6 years later I'm of two minds whether I just want this series to go forever or if they should quit with Arkham Knight before the games start feeling like Assassin's Creed style soulless cash-in sequels.

Have we all forgotten how enormous of a leap Arkham City was compared to Asylum? I don't just mean in terms of "NOW THERE'S AN OPEN WORLD!," I mean the massive improvements to combat, stealth, and just the gameplay in general. Even the challenge rooms are infinitely better than Asylum's already-great ones.

Origins was seriously the only one to stagnate, and that's why I said earlier that I'm totally happy to recommend that people skip it. It's like they took Arkham City's formula and tried to make it as monotonous as humanly possible. Seriously, they even removed every kind of Riddler challenge that wasn't "collect the trophy." No in-environment easter egg hunting, no lining up question marks, nothing.

Narcissus1916 posted:

one of Origins few cool ideas was the rewind virtual reality crime scene stuff. Total nonsense, but a nice evolution from "find the whiskey trail/blood" from the first two entries.

It's cool in concept, but let's be real with ourselves - Origins' crime scenes, in execution, were very flashy pixel hunts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Best Buy is offering a preorder bonus that adds a new takedown and the ability to throw Batarangs in flight and some other 'Waynetech upgrades' :psyduck:

Throwing Batarangs in flight is supposed to be a standard feature in the game, so either you misread, they misworded, or some REAL poo poo's about to go down PR-wise.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Who did Shadow of Mordor? Wasn't that considered a very good game? Why can't they do a DC game. That was WB too wasn't it?

Shadow of Mordor started development as a Nolanverse Batman game, which is why its mechanics are so Batman-esque.

The only reason it's LotR is because some legal drama forced a mid-development change, and the developers had already made one or two LotR games before.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Serious House is literally the best Batman comic of all time.

That's a ridiculous amount of special editions though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Origin had the best story of the 3 :shrug:

It had the best setpieces. There's a difference.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Timby posted:

And they still haven't given us a Burton / Nolan movie batsuit. :argh:

The Dark Knight's batsuit was unlockable in Origins if you did all the Dark Knight challenges, you just never heard about it because those were loving horseshit.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-preorder-bonuses/1100-6427627/

Want to preorder....well there are at least 8 versions you can pick from.

I seriously hope the Best Buy preorder is just early unlocks or something. Basically, unless you preordered at Best Buy, you lose out on some abilities.

Apparently, you can't set explosive traps anymore unless you got it from BB. The gently caress?

I'm kind of glad this is the last Arkham game now if WB is going to do poo poo like this..

They've already stated that those are early unlocks. Quit freaking out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, Geoff Johns did good things. He hasn't in over a decade but he did once.

You could say the exact same thing about Paul Dini.

I'm really worried about how much they've been emphasizing the car combat. I don't mind the idea of having the Batmobile to plow through the city with and I'm even interested in the idea of Riddler races but that car combat looks ludicrously unfun, I haven't seen a game other than Twisted Metal ever do car combat well, and it's just absolutely everywhere in the previews.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 29, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sober posted:

Easily had the best narrative of the other games (likely not to change even with Arkham Knight) but I guess that doesn't count for much anyway.

Arkham Origins had the best setpieces, not the best plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv Yeah, if you don't care about the writing, weren't going for 100% and avoided the bugs, the fighting refinements in the later games make AO a lot more enjoyable.

The problem is that everything good about Origins was the stuff that Rocksteady introduced themselves in City.

I don't think there's literally anything Origins does better than City, gameplay-wise. I like its art style quite a bit, actually. The more cartoonish character models look a lot better than Knight's strange attempts at realism. And Roger Craig Smith is a very good Batman, though he would have worked better in a new telling/reboot/timeline/whatever. I still think Baker's Joker is a pale imitation of Hamill, though.

e: Also Man-Bat and I think also the "Knightfall protocol" were both mentioned in that 4Chan leak, sooooo...

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread