Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
At first I thought the glitching was a glitch, but when nobody did anything after the first few times, I just got a huge smile on my face since I knew it was Scarecrow's deal. Scarecrow is my favorite Batman villain ever and I'm glad he's getting such a big role in Arkham Knight after being completely shafted out of City and Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

As much as I enjoyed Origins, I think it would have been better as a comic book instead of a game. But then again if it was a comic, we wouldn't have gotten the Slade fight, so there is that.

(the slade fight is really good i think)

EDIT: My primary problem with Origins combat was that countering was super tight and if you didn't have loving ESP and see it coming before it actually appeared, there was no way you were going to counter a dude. In the other games you always got enough time to get an extra punch or two in before you had to react, but in Origins if you don't push triangle THE MOMENT you see the attack icon appear, tough poo poo get hit. Maybe this was because I was playing on hard, but combat on hard in Asylum and City never felt like that.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 14, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

It was definitely because you were playing on hard. Hard mode speeds everything up by a lot even in Arkham City.

I might have to give the game another go on normal then. If that's the case then a lot of my complaints about the combat are solved simply by not playing on the dick-waving difficulty.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man you guys are hatin' all over Origins. I never expected that response after I played it. Unless you're really into nitpicking things you will enjoy Origins. I don't care if I don't get Disarm and Destroy at whatever time, I'm reading you guys complain about it and I don't even remember it being an issue that I noticed. Guys with guns can be dealt with in other ways than "Press button to deal with gun guys"

I enjoyed Origins on the whole, honestly, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about the things I don't like about it. I complain about things I don't like in the other games, too, like a desert of decent boss fights (before slade came along the only good boss fight was mr freeze), rooms with dumb/annoying gimmicks (the killer croc room in asylum, the frozen pool in citys museum), and Harley Quinn's outfits (just dress up like you did in the animated series stop being suicide girls fapbait aaaaaaa).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ra's was not a good fight.

Ra's is an okay fight, but completely forgettable. In fact, I DID forget about the Ras fight the second time I played it and I was like "Wait what is even happening I don't remember this at ALL".

blackguy32 posted:

Also, as much as it was a rip off of Heart of Ice, Cold Cold Heart was an pretty drat good DLC. Much better than Harley Quinn's Revenge.

I've been meaning to get both, actually.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

My timing issues definitely aren't a PC bug, since I was playing on a PS3. I dunno, to me it seems that the timing was honestly hosed, to the point where I thought maybe it was just me being rusty at Batman games. I decided to play through Asylum again... and not only does it further reinforce my belief that counter timing was tightened, but I think Origins may have actually made me way better at Asylum. I'm about halfway through the game now, and I'm only just considering my first health upgrade. Usually I've gotten at least two by now. It's amazing what learning the critical timing can do. Maybe part of it is that Asylum doesn't offer much variety in enemy types, especially early in the game when all you have to contend with are normal thugs, gun thugs, and knife thugs. Origins loves throwing at least one "special" attacker per medium-sized encounter in, which is both a blessing and a curse.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, the level design in Arkham Origins really falls flat. Having been replaying Asylum, there's a TON of care that went into the level design, although I think that's mostly because Asylum is basically Batman the Dungeon Crawler, and if your dungeon crawl has bad level design why even bother. While City's level design wasn't as good, it was still really drat good and allowed for some fun exploration. Origins really phoned it in, which is baffling considering half the locations you visit were essentially the same places from City.

It's still worth playing Origins for the story, but I still say it would have worked better as a comic book than a video game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Question: I'm trying to platinum trophy Arkham Asylum because I'm a shameless filthy trophy whore who wants my platinums to finally read in double digits. All I have left to do is get medals in challenge stages (and 100% the game obviously). Do medals in DLC stages count, or does the game only really track in-game stuff?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Origins is a really good game and really worth playing, especially now you can so often get it for cheap. Yes it is the "worst" of the Arkham games so far and there are some quite valid criticisms of it, but it is in no way a bad game. If you enjoyed Asylum or City, there is a pretty drat high chance you'll enjoy Origins too.

Pretty much this. It's missing that Rocksteady refinement, but it's really not a bad game at all. There is more good than bad about it, it just happens to have more bad than Asylum and City. The story is really good and it has some of the best boss fight quality in the game (though i still think the mr freeze fight in city is the best in the series so far). It's a least worth a rental to play through the story, but I'd stay away from the multiplayer, which I hear is not that great and kind of grindy if you want the achievements.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Unless you're a huge baby and you can't handle any modification to the combat or counter system. Then it's "batman screwing up" or "bugged combat" or blah blah, this game is now objectively bad.

Or they changed it so you have less time to counter and you can't counter in the middle of an attack anymore, thus making combat harder in an unfun way. It isn't Batman screwing up, the combat isn't bugged as far as I can tell, they just arbitrarily changed it for no good reason. Combat is still good, just not as good as Asylum or City.

Though the jump in difficulty HAS made me better at the Arkham games in general, so I suppose it's not all bad.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Having beat Harley Quinn's Revenge yesterday, I can say while I enjoyed playing as Robin, his stealth segment is hot garbage. Wow. It was even worse than the Two-Face boss segment in Catwoman's DLC.

His combat's neat, though.

EDIT: VVV I recently finished doing all 440 challenges. 400 of Batman's, 40 of Catwoman's.

I don't even like playing as Catwoman. I did it because I'm loving insane.

EDIT X2:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you kidding? The new map is like 200 times the size of Asylum. There will be so many Riddler trophies, to collect them all will be like the en masse counter frenzy from the Ra's fight.

I really want to see this now.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 26, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I do agree with the Captain though. 400 Riddler challenges was way overkill. Hell, I feel like 240 in Asylum was pushing it. You couldn't go 20 feet in City without tripping over a glowing green trophy surrounded by buttons or levers or whatever. With a city that's the size of a real, honest to god city now, maybe one challenge every couple of blocks.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Pro: TAS Catwoman skin is :3:

Con: Catwoman is an unfun, garbage character to play as.

I don't know what it is about Catwoman I hate. Maybe the lack of gadget variety, maybe the climbing aspect, maybe the fact her ground takedowns take so much longer than Batman's and I always get hit because I can't time them right... I'll fully admit that I hate playing Catwoman because I'm bad at playing Catwoman. However it's not even that she's different from Batman. I liked playing as Robin, and he plays different from Batman, although not ENTIRELY, I guess. Half of Robin's gadgets were the same as Batman's, so maybe it wasn't as steep a learning curve.

Though yeah, the TAS skins are all great, Catwoman included.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

God dammit. I can't get above a 9 variation bonus in City, and can't remember more then 10. I'm trying to remember all the various things I need to do.

Strike
Counter
Evade
Cape Stun
The four special moves for having a combo string
Ground takedown
Ultra Cape Stun
???
???

What are the two I'm missing?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You're missing Aerial Attack and Beatdown. Also all the quick-fire gadgets.

The quick-fire gadgets actually don't count! They get their own category that doesn't count towards the trophy, so you can pretty much ignore them.

Though why would you, because not using quickfire gadgets in an Arkham game is like playing a Platinum Games game by just spamming the light attack button.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

City already had Tim in it, though it was only a cameo at best. The Harley Quinn DLC gave him a bit of actual playability. I wouldn't mind some actual story based DLC with Nightwing and / or Robin, though, as long as they play similar to their Arkham City DLC counterparts.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Jurgan posted:

But, yes, the boss fights are VASTLY improved in City. They get around the problem of characters like the Penguin not being a match for Batman by having them have strong but bland villains on their payroll. Origins had some pretty good ones, too, though to me they aren't quite as memorable.

I'm kinda on the opposite side of the fence here. City's boss fights were a step up from Asylum's, yes, but all of them except one didn't stand out at all to me, to the point where, the second time through, I had completely forgotten about one of them. Origins, on the other hand, at least had memorable enough fights that I remember most of them, and I'd even say that three of them are pretty good. None were as good as Mr. Freeze from City (spoiled for the guy who is just getting through the series), but overall I felt they were a step in the right direction.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

If you have the Catwoman DLC, you can afford to do some of her stuff in place of Batman's. However, yes, you do need to have 400 challenges done in order to find Riddler's hideout. Honestly the physical challenges aren't that hard given the crowds in Arkham City. I managed to get the 10 or so I was missing in about half an hour. The smoke pellet one is the most annoying, but really, just find a big crowd, punch some dudes until they all run over to fight you, then drop the pellet and zipline up to a nearby roof and watch the hilarity below.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 28, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Is it worth buying the Arkham Origins Season Pass Pack? It comes with Initiation, Cold Cold Heart, and the extra skins right?

EDIT: VVV Yeah, I want both. The skins are just the icing on the cake. I like silly stupid skins (story+ mode in Arkham City has been almost exclusively done by dark knight returns and animated series batmen), but I wasn't about to buy them on their own.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Just finished doing City's challenge combat rooms. Honestly the Extreme versions were easier then I thought they would be. I usually got all three medals in a try or two. The sheer amount of dudes in the rounds helped out a lot to build up that combo, I guess.

Now to finish the Predator rooms and move onto the campaigns.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Catwoman is the real barrier- I recommend starting with her.

Just doing Batman for right now, if only to get the Perfect Knight trophy.

I still haven't managed to pull off a X12 variation. I came SO CLOSE, but right as I was doing a ground pound to cinch it, a guy managed to punch in maybe the last two frames of the animation.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

When you are down to one enemy use three stuns in a row to knock them down. Easy.

I was down to three guys and thought I was far enough away. I was wrong. My impatience caused my downfall.

I'll probably get it tomorrow. Unless I decide to focus on finishing up Story+ side quests.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So I FINALLY got a 12X variation combo (i completely forgot you needed to batclaw slam a dude for a long time there), and now all I have left to do is the campaigns... which I'm sort of terrified of. I found the Extreme Predator maps to be a nightmare with unlimited tries and no special conditions, I can't imagine what they'll be like now. Does Arkham City keep track of how many medals you've gotten cumulatively, like if I got 7 medals, and then went through and got the 2 I was missing while still missing some, do I get 9 total? Or do I have to get all 9 in one go?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sober posted:

There are also a few "traps" with modifiers in certain campaigns, which means it's also up to you to figure out. Like, you probably shouldn't use the mined gargoyle modifier in the GCPD predator map (because you need to inverted takedown from a gargoyle for a medal) unless you also use the "free medal" modifier, for example.

Or the fun that is the campaign with END OF THE LINE EXTREME :argh:

I'm more concerned with Top of the World Extreme, since it took me nearly 20 tries to get that one in non-campaign mode. I usually got all three medals and died, or couldn't set up the "get 3 in a freeze cluster" one. End of the Line Extreme is easy if you know whose guns to disable.

I just did the one with Natural Selection Extreme in it and used the free medal in that one because FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK that shockwave medal.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 3, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't really played Arkham City's challenge maps all that much, so I stand firm in the belief that Shock and Awe Extreme is the most annoying thing ever.

It still is the most annoying combat map in the series that I've played, but I never did any of the Arkham Origins ones. It's still a miracle I managed to actually beat it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Catwoman's Top of the World Extreme was the absolute worst. I had to look up a guide video.

Catwoman seems to be the least fun character to play as by far.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't enjoy Predator challenge maps because they are so strict. It kind of has a puzzle feel to it but that isn't the fun part of Predator modes.

Yeah, especially the Extreme variants. Most of the normal maps you can gently caress about in, but in Extreme if you don't do almost every little thing right, you're hosed. It's really not fun at all. Combat maps, on the other hand, are great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

At least Shock and Awe Extreme is usually a guaranteed three-medal if you can complete it. Pretty sure that last round is impossible to get through if you gently caress up your combo more than twice.

EDIT: Got the platinum trophy in Arkham City. Go meeeeeeee.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 4, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've just been replaying (and in two cases, platinuming) the current Arkham games already out. I've been playing them in release order and I started Origins earlier today. It's the first time I've played Origins on Normal, and while I still complain about the timing and stuff about counters, it's not as bad as I remember it being. What I really have to complain MORE about moving the quickfire buttons. I keep turning on detective mode when I try to throw a batarang at a dude.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that drove me bonkers. You'll be glad to hear that (at least when I played it) Knight on the PS4 is back to the City controls.

Is quickfire explosive gel still as useless as it was in City? I always forgot it was a thing, because whatever it could do, batarangs and cape stun could do, and in only one button press.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I dunno, I've never found much use for it outside building up a gadget variation bonus. Yeah you can use it and the multi-takedown to take down like three dudes at once, but you know what else you can do to do that? Punch three dudes. Bonus if you can multi counter and do that. Most I've ever knocked out at once is about five different guys.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Okay, I will fully admit that my problems with combat in Arkham Origins before was due to either it being on hard (playing on normal this time) or I was simply bad at combat. I still do have a few complaints but overall it's not as bad as I remember it being.

The crashes though... holy poo poo. I've tried playing it twice on my PS3 today and both play sessions ended with my system freezing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

I got 100% of the achievements in Arkham Asylum, 100% in Arkham City, and I completed every single-player achievement in Arkham Origins. Why did they have to add a lovely multiplayer mode that I have to deal with if I want 100%?

Holy hell, even I'm not insane enough to do 100% achievements/ trophies for Arkham Origins (mainly because the game isnt anywhere near as good as asylum or city). Are you some sort of masochist or something?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

The story in Arkham Origins I feel is the best of the three, but the gameplay changed in minor little ways that I don't enjoy. Asylum and City are much better from a gameplay standpoint.

That said, Origins is a good game. Just not as good or polished as Asylum or City. Though it was interesting seeing the area in Arkham City all relatively intact in Origins.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've never had any problems with Batman punching the wrong person in Origins, but I do have the problem of not knowing how far Batman will go to punch a dude at any given moment. It's like his range changes from punch to punch how far he'll go. Sometimes he'll jump something like a quarter of a street to hit a guy, when other times a guy four feet behind him suddenly turns into "whiff in the air because he's too far away". I still can pretty regularly produce an A or S rank in combat, yeah, but I honestly don't think that I'd get half as many B ranks as I do if I could understand how far Batman will go to whack a dude upside the head.

At least I've finally reconditioned myself to use the other trigger for quick gadgets.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You get 1 combo takedown every 2-5 attacks and shock gloves charge almost as quickly.

Only you don't get critical hits or the shock gloves until about halfway through the game and if you like to take your time and do everything you can possibly do inbetween story bits like I do, they simply aren't options for quite a long time. And yeah, you have access to the X5 takedown option from the start, but it's laboriously put behind 6 or 7 more upgrades before it becomes an option to unlock, so for a good chunk of time you're stuck with X8.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 9, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I enjoy fictional women made out of polygons that were animated to appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers and/or comic book nerds. This is not sad or pathetic at all.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I just finished Arkham Origins and Cold, Cold Heart. CCH is actually a pretty nice piece of DLC with a neat boss battle at the end. Worth the $10 I think. My only real gripe with it is that you don't get glue grenades and you don't get to play as Bruce outside of the costume long enough. Certainly much better than Harley Quinn's Revenge, which was mostly "meh" with an absolutely garbage boss fight.

Now I'm basically done with this series until Arkham Knight comes out.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Has there really ever been a long-running series that hasn't been afraid to permanently kill off and/or change the status quo of major characters, be it hero or villain? I know Marvel and DC like to talk big games, but they're always bringing back old major characters within a few years or so.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

How long is long-running? There are soap operas which have run for years and while they do have their miraculous resurrections and bullshit retcons they're also kind of obligated to change after so many years on the air. I mean Guiding Light had over 15,000 episodes over the course of over 50 years. (Longer if you count its time as a radio drama.)

If you mean comic-wise, there are a bunch of indie comic that do it.

I just meant comics-wise, and I guess a comic that's been going on at least 10 years. It seems like if a villain is dead for at least 2 years anymore, they'll find some convoluted way to come back.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Killing doesn't often stick, but the various Robins have gone through some significant changes (to pick an obvious example).

Oh yeah, I guess Nightwing has been around for a while, hasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Why is everyone talking about Joker falling into acid like that actually happened? Even in the Killing Joke, he basically admitted to it being that's how he remembered it happening THAT DAY and that how he remembers becoming the Joker changes on a constant basis. Joker's not really the best source to trust about his past.

Though yeah, I find the fact that the government is not all over Joker's kid like flies on poo poo extremely odd. Maybe they are in secret, but hope that by not causing trauma to her that she can hopefully live a normal life? She seems to be doing pretty well right now with Harley's sister.

• Locked thread