Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

For me, switching between Batman and Catwoman back and forth would throw me off because I was used to moving around as Batman so then traveling as Catwoman felt like your wings were clipped.

Her movement system with timing the jumps was cool, but it didn't really do much. I would have liked to see it as a way to keep your combo going while you get a bit of space from your enemies. Something like each "Perfect!" counted like a hit in a combo so you could vanish really quickly and come back to attack someone else without losing any freeflow moves you want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jetfire posted:

So assuming my PC can handle it (and I think it should), is it visually superior to the X360/PS3 versions to the point where I should get it on Steam instead of on consoles?

It can get crazy good looking on PC. Pick it up on GMG if the 25 percent off coupon still works and go nuts with the graphics options.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This is really good. Like, really really good. I kept my expectations low because of the developer changeup, but they really stepped it up a notch. I love the new upgrade system, especially with the rewards for the Dark Knight challenges, and Deathstroke is super fun to use in challenge mode. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but it doesn't have to, and it's definitely got way more atmosphere than City did.

I just finished the first Deathstroke fight, and you really get the sense that Batman is more than a bit out of his depth at the moment. You beat him, but only barely, and it's toe-to-toe the whole time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WirelessPillow posted:

Is any one else getting stuck at the Burnley comm tower? The gate locks and then Batman won't climb into the vent above. Glitch?

Yeah, it came up a bit in the thread earlier. Reload the save and avoid that until the patch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How's the difficulty? The first two were a waste of time on anything but Hard. Should I just start on Hard like the others?

It's a bit harder than City, since you can't instantly cancel from an attack to a counter, and the enemy groups can be massive in this. I've dropped in on fights that had to have twenty mobsters in them, it was awesome. I'm on Normal and I really have to use gadgets a lot in fights to avoid getting surrounded.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LSD-25 posted:

I really like the idea of crime scene analysis but I wish it was a little more interactive even though I'm not sure how they'd accomplish that. It reminds me a little of the memory sequences in Remember Me, another feature that was completely underutilized.

It's still a huge step up from the other games, which showed you the analysis but then had you barely use it ever. I think if it cut down on telling you what to do next, it would be perfect. Maybe just clues instead of telling you what to look for next.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sicarius posted:

Not sure if anyone else is encountering this on PC, but I thought I'd check with others. This will be spoiler free except for location names, which aren't spoilers in my mind:

I just finished Lacey Towers and was headed to the Burnley Comms Relay. There's a point very early where you pull down a grate and, seemingly, are supposed to climb in there... except I can't. I can grapple up to the vent, I can hang on the vent, but I cannot climb in. I checked videos on Youtube and people are all nimbly-bimbly-jumping-tree-to-tree into the vent... but I can't. Any ideas at all here? I'm on PC and thinking (since I assume most of the videos are from pirates who got the PS3/360 copies early) maybe it's a PC issue. Anyone else got this?

Yep, it's been pretty common in here. Allegedly, according to the Steam forums, hitting RT and forward helps, but I haven't tested since I'm avoiding that tower until the patch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cyra posted:

Ugh, I want to buy this but there's going to be Steam sales up the rear end soon. Halloween sale, Thanksgiving sale, Xmas sale. It'll be on sale. Right? :ohdear:

If City is anything to go by, expect good things for the thanksgiving sale. I got that one for half price like a month after release, that poo poo owned.

mysterious frankie posted:

Oof, Deathstroke is really knocking me around during the first(only?) fight with him. It should go to show how molly coddled I am by games usually that I assumed if I died after taking off a chunk of his health then it would load me back up at that point. But it doesn't; it just starts me off at the beginning of the fight, which is both annoying and cool. Annoying because it takes forever to fight him, and cool because I'm starting to learn his patterns and taking him down notch by notch feels a lot more badass than it would have if the game basically gave me the win.

I had the same experience, I figured it'd load me up on at least that phase of the fight, but nope, back to the beginning. It made sense, though, it's basically an endurance fight while Batman tries to not die against someone who's not to be messed with.

EDIT: Getting towards the end of it gave me the kind of rush I haven't gotten in games in a while, actally. It felt like getting towards the final boss of some old game with no continues, knowing one mistake now and I'm back to square one. The bosses in this are really tense, it's great.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 25, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShineDog posted:

The keyboard controls were never a great fit for the arkham games. Sure, they worked, but they weren't a patch on the pad. This remains the case. Haven't seen anything beyond keyboard controls thats a PC specific fault. Runs great, looks great. Seems a solid enough version. (With the Physx stuff looking great, I'd say definitive version)

Well, except the bugs. Really can't wait for that patch so I can do that tower.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrunkPanda posted:

Based on what I've heard from reviewers, it seems like they literally took Arkham City, changed the name to Arkham Origins and made absolutely no other changes, but called it a different game. Is this what happened?

Not even close. The combat had some minor adjustments that make it play rather differently (You absoulutely cannot let yourself get surrounded now that you can't cancel from a strike->combo, so you have to think a lot more about positioning), the upgrades have been moved into a tree format, it's got a lot more side material, and there's a lot more detective stuff. The map is also twice the size, and the reused area is significantly different. The story is also way, way better and more focused.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it doesn't matter much to me anyway, the city model itself was almost completely forgettable to me anyway. Which is another problem.

The reused area has a lot more character now that it's not all hosed up like it was in AC. There's a lot of stores, a shopping-mall kind of area, so on and so forth. The fact there's actual colors in it helps a lot. In Arkham City it was all so broken down and dark it all felt like the inside of a steel mill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Colors? I didn't see any of them in any trailers or anything. But it does seem to be the way of games these days to not show their colors in advertising. Those shameful, shameful colors.

There's a lot of storefronts and christmas decorations, things like that. It's not bursting with color, I mean, it is a batman game, but they stop it from being quite as bleak-looking as it was in AC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

Also I still can't counter martial artists so I'm just chalking this up to a bug. One more to add to the pile.

Hit counter twice. They have dual attacks (more lines in the counter indicator), and you have to treat it as two incoming attacks or it'll go through.

VVVVV: It's explained, you just have to go to challenge mode and do the training for it. No idea why they took the explanations for the enemy types out of the encounters themselves.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 26, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly after playing The Wolf Among Us (and to a slightly lesser extent the Walking Dead), I don't understand why comic book games are graphically done any other way. That way is so perfect. Is it really hard to do compared to more realistic shading methods, or something?

Arkham really likes to lay the details on thick. I can't see stuff like the gradual wear on Batman's suit over the course of the night working as well with the more comic-booky aesthetic. Origins especially takes more after a mix of the animated series and the movies (especially the 1989 one) to really pin it down as a comic book game in the same sense The Wolf Among Us is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

While you're right that Batman has a whole movie world to work with too, I disagree about that style of graphics getting in the way of the details they want. If anything, they stand out more with the greater color range.

But more fundamentally, I believe games are at their best when they look the least like movies. And I say that as someone who watches a lot of movies. BECAUSE I enjoy both, I want them to be maximally different from each other.

Oh, I absolutely agree they shouldn't be trying to look like movies, but I like it when a game finds an art style that works and sticks with it. The Arkham series has its thing, and their takes on the characters are always cool to see when the new game rolls around, because they stay true to the characters while doing something new. Sometimes simple is best (and oh man does it age better) like the Walking Dead or Enemy Starfighter.

The expansion of the color palette this time around gives me a much stronger Batman vibe than City's did. It also really helped me get a feel for the locations as places separate from each other compared to City, because everything still looks like it has function, instead of being "busted up building number three".

Murodese posted:

You really need to treat counter as your main attack and only resort to outright attacking people if there are no counters available. Even then, there's often pre-counters available - you can counter an enemy attack a bit before the notification flashes, so if you're fighting a group larger than 4-5, you'll pretty much always have a counter available. The downside of this method is that you won't get crit counters, but it's a lot safer.

The other option is to stick more towards the edges of the fight, and use your cape stun and batarangs to buy room. That should give you space enough to combo some strikes to get enough combo to use the batarang multi-knockout. I've actually been countering less in this than earlier games because it's harder to rely on it and still hit people, so I spend a lot of time trying to stop them from attacking me in the first place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish that punching shields and armored enemies wouldn't stop your combo dead. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't stand right next to other enemies, making it impossible to choose which one gets hit. City had the same problem and it drove me goddamn crazy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God dammit, I wish I had realized that in the Bane fight, standard attacks hurt him when he isn't all venomed out. Would have made my life so much easier if I wasn't constantly trying to stun him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

randombattle posted:

I can't tell if I really like the multiplayer or really hate it. It's so close to being real good but I dunno. I

That's pretty much everything Splash Damage does. Brink, for example, was so close to being amazing, but because it was so close and still managed to be a lovely experience, it made me hate it all the more.

It looks like they're really pushing MP this time around, too, the amount of multiplayer achievements seems really high for some reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
...I've played the entire series up through this one, and I never realized you could cut people down to reuse the gargoyle. Which is sad, since most of my predator kills are from inverted takedowns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Is this required? I haven't gone near the tower because I wasn't sure if it was a progress breaking bug. Like does it happen on the PC version 100% of the time?
Yep, every time on every hardware configuration. It makes me think it was some kind of copy protection thing that's not playing nice with Steam or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE CHORSE posted:

I like this game, I really do, but the Dark Knight progression/unlock system tied to completing challenges could have used a little more thought. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't that many actual predator challenges and they are all tied to the story, so there are limited opportunities to actually complete the predator tree. Combined with challenges like completing predator encounters with no detective vision (and without being seen), performing four exotic or loud takedowns in one encounter, or getting something like seven different types of takedown in a single encounter, it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of the actual story progression. I feel like I have to approach every predator challenge in the specific way that the game wants me to or I won't have enough opportunities to round out the tree. I have no idea why they would make it impossible to complete the challenges in challenge rooms, and it sounds like the predator rooms don't repopulate like they did in Arkham City, so the predator Dark Knight track is just a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have no idea why they don't count predator challenges for the Dark Knight stuff, especially since the challenge mode gives XP now. It's such a weird oversight.

ImpAtom posted:

They're saved mostly for NG+ it seems to me. They're really rare in the original campaign.

Thank god. I hated those guys in City. The martial artists are a really fun addition, though, as are the Venom Users.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RadicalWall posted:

I really want to be snarky about this but I bet a lot of programmers are having a really bad week. Actually, screw it. Come on guys, half of these bugs are game ending and should have been easily caught in any sort of testing.

This is why I'm pretty drat sure they were part of a copy protection scheme like Asylum had, but having a bad reaction to Steam or something. There are bugs that happen 100 percent of the time, there's no way those could have just snuck by them, but if it was working as intended on the developers computers that I really doubt would trip a DRM switch, well, then maybe there's a chance there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hav posted:

Subject change; Anyone claiming that they 'lifted' the city directly from AC really needs to load it up and take a look. Without getting into a lot of detail, Origin's Gotham is a shitton more vertical and _builds_ on AC rather than replacing it. The differences are subtle in places, but go take a look at actual landmarks in AC and see what they did. I'm actually impressed with the continuity.

The place with the biggest difference is the Amusement Mile. In City, there's a mention of it having been sunk by a relatively recent earthquake. That quake hasn't happened yet in Origins, so the whole place is completely different.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Go find two dudes on a rooftop. Knock them both out. Get the challenge done.

It's how I did it.

It never counted that one for me. It didn't count a lot of ones where I had "Unseen" in the scoring list afterwards. The challenges are really touchy, I wish it would let me just do them in a challenge room.

I just beat this an hour or so ago, and the last hour or two of it is completely, insanely awesome. It definitely feels like poo poo has really hit the fan and you've got to pull out all the stops to end it. The storyline of this was beyond a doubt the best in the series by far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Er, there are more than 4 takedowns you know.

This one specifies which takedown types to do. I wasn't able to finish it, because by the time I unlocked it, I didn't have any predator encounters with all four of those elements left.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PoshAlligator posted:

Quoting because I'm also curious, and if anyone can share how to unlock them.

Is there any way to unlock markers for the Anarky tags or those plaques? Gotham is a big place to be exploring with no pointers.

Also, is anywhere offering some sort of deal on the Season Pass? As it's mostly content that'll be out later, it seems a bit pointless to buy it without any discount at all. I'm think maybe £10ish as my price point.

Is there a way to get markers for the datapacks? I saw one glowing green thug like City had for the trophies, but it didn't let me interrogate him and I've never seen another one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly missed having a lot of Riddler stuff to collect. They felt too sparse in AO to me. I wish they'd reached a midpoint between too few and too many.

Personally, I think what's in the game+ a full-sized set of riddles to scan in would be ideal.

mysterious frankie posted:

---
Does anyone know what I do with these Cobblepot Boxes? It says to go to the Black Market to pick up my rewards, but there's nothing going on in the ship when I get there.

Pretty sure those are all multiplayer rewards, but I haven't tried the online stuff (and not sure I ever will, to be honest) so I'm not 100 percent certain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh, and I tend to avoid the quick concussion just because having goons start randomly swinging fists around is NOT helpful. I'll make up that variation point somewhere else.

I use it as crowd control on armored guys and people with guns, but that's really the only use I've found for it, and really the glue grenade does that better anyway since they don't flail around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

Are the Green Glowy Goons Enigma goons again? I found one that I couldn't interrogate after I left him as the last person alive.

Have you been to his hideout yet? They show up very rarely before you've set foot in there, but you can't interrogate them. I wish I had known that, I had been putting off going to his hideout until I had gotten all his relays.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't recall getting that, guess I have at least one more crime scene.

That was my last crime scene and I did get the call from Gordon. Did you do the Deadshot most wanted yet? That has a crime scene in it that may count towards the casefile completion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sober posted:

If you are talking about the snipers in the Diamond District, take out the lone one on the roof when you are able, pop behind cover, multibatarang the three (2 snipers 1 gun) when they turn their attention away, dive right in knock out the regular unarmed thug, then just KO the gun-toters. They stay down pretty long as long as you have the batarang stun upgrade. That's the best I've been able to get.

I haven't tried it, but aren't snipers usually on small platforms that are reasonably high? Couldn't you use the boost on a remote control batarang to KO them outright from behind cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orgophlax posted:

OK, but that still undermines the spirit of the challenges. At the very least, they should allow them to be done on the outdoor predator areas that respawn.

Some of those challenges require very specific takedowns that you can only do in like two predator rooms in the campaign mode. When poo poo is that specific, they really should let you use challenge mode. The combat ones aren't so bad since all you have to do is find a crime in progress, but there's no equivalent for predator stuff.

• Locked thread